• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizard Cantrips: Which are the best early on?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Shocking Grasp is huge against creatures with defenses that use reaction. Not being able to cast a shield spell or use a reaction-based special ability can reduce AC and defenses allowing your other party members to land their attacks. I would not pass up on shocking grasp. The tactical uses of the ability become more and more prevalent as you rise in level dealing with creatures with more capabilities.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Oh? How much is "high levels", and can you give an example of a monster or two? I dont ask because i want to bash your comment but because i am honedtly curious about shocking grasp legitimacy during games. Ive found it be underwhelming as ive always intrepeted it to be just AoO negator.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Oh? How much is "high levels", and can you give an example of a monster or two? I dont ask because i want to bash your comment but because i am honedtly curious about shocking grasp legitimacy during games. Ive found it be underwhelming as ive always intrepeted it to be just AoO negator.

I completely understand. I like examples too.

1. Cloud Giant with Shield: He used this to defend himself boosting his AC by +5 against our martials. I hit him with shocking grasp and moved in and out of the battle. No reaction for AoOs so I could get clear of him and no extra AC so our fighter and paladin could hit him much easier.

2. Shocking Grasp on dragon: Dragon hits super hard. You don't even want to get hit by his AoOs. I hit a green dragon with a messed up poisonous bite allowing the party to move to cover inside a building without provoking an AoO.

3. Shocking Grasp on Ogre that attacked our bard: I hit the ogre allowing the bard to Dash out of easy attack range, so he wasn't getting wailed on by the Ogre causing him to make concentration checks to maintain his bless. I was able to move back out as well. Not enough he didn't come and give me a smack given he can move and hit. I did save the bard and helped keep the bless spell up.

I'm only level 7. Creatures seem to hit harder and have more options for using reactions. Shocking grasp has been my go to cantrip for helping out in key moments. Once you see a creature can use some kind of reaction-based defense or attack, shocking grasp is the spell you use to stop it. With AoOs hitting much harder at higher levels, it's good to stop them as well.

I've also used Chill Touch to kill a troll and stop a priest from healing a target to finish them as well. I've used shocking grasp more often in my seven levels. I expect to use it more as I face more harsh stuff. I never knew wveryn's could hit so hard. You do not want to be AoOed by a wveryn bite.

PnPgamer

Explorer
I completely understand. I like examples too.

1. Cloud Giant with Shield: He used this to defend himself boosting his AC by +5 against our martials. I hit him with shocking grasp and moved in and out of the battle. No reaction for AoOs so I could get clear of him and no extra AC so our fighter and paladin could hit him much easier.

2. Shocking Grasp on dragon: Dragon hits super hard. You don't even want to get hit by his AoOs. I hit a green dragon with a messed up poisonous bite allowing the party to move to cover inside a building without provoking an AoO.

3. Shocking Grasp on Ogre that attacked our bard: I hit the ogre allowing the bard to Dash out of easy attack range, so he wasn't getting wailed on by the Ogre causing him to make concentration checks to maintain his bless. I was able to move back out as well. Not enough he didn't come and give me a smack given he can move and hit. I did save the bard and helped keep the bless spell up.

I'm only level 7. Creatures seem to hit harder and have more options for using reactions. Shocking grasp has been my go to cantrip for helping out in key moments. Once you see a creature can use some kind of reaction-based defense or attack, shocking grasp is the spell you use to stop it. With AoOs hitting much harder at higher levels, it's good to stop them as well.

I've also used Chill Touch to kill a troll and stop a priest from healing a target to finish them as well. I've used shocking grasp more often in my seven levels. I expect to use it more as I face more harsh stuff. I never knew wveryn's could hit so hard. You do not want to be AoOed by a wveryn bite.
Glad you didnt take it the wrong way. Thanks for the feedback ive been wondering what to take with my sorc as my next cantrip... Could you enlighten what character you were when you did this, as i think that i prefer ranged cantrips as a low ac sorc.

Joe Liker

First Post
Glad you didnt take it the wrong way. Thanks for the feedback ive been wondering what to take with my sorc as my next cantrip... Could you enlighten what character you were when you did this, as i think that i prefer ranged cantrips as a low ac sorc.
You only need one ranged cantrip, but take two (at most) if you like having control options.

You may prefer to attack at range, but unfortunately, it's not always your decision to make. You need something that works in melee because you will find yourself in melee range at some point, whether you like it or not. Poison spray is fine at low levels, but much worse later on due to monster immunities (fiends are immune, in addition to the constructs and undead already mentioned). Acid splash is good; shocking grasp is better because it lets you safely move away.

Your last cantrip or two can be something for utility or trickery. I personally think mage hand is slightly overrated. I feel like people enjoy thinking of all the ways it might be used, but in practice it is seldom necessary. (If you want it, make sure no one else in the party has it.) It's a fun roleplaying device, however, as is prestidigitation. On the other hand, dancing lights, minor illusion, message, and mending can all be very practical choices, especially if you are the creative sort. And light is indispensible if you do not have darkvision.

DO NOT take true strike or blade ward. These are by far the worst spells on the list. They have minor applications in a multiclass or hybrid build, but are nothing but a waste of time for a full sorcerer. Friends is not as good as it might seem, either -- the aftereffect has earned it the more appropriate nickname "enemies."

raleel

Explorer
You only need one ranged cantrip, but take two (at most) if you like having control options.

You may prefer to attack at range, but unfortunately, it's not always your decision to make. You need something that works in melee because you will find yourself in melee range at some point, whether you like it or not. Poison spray is fine at low levels, but much worse later on due to monster immunities (fiends are immune, in addition to the constructs and undead already mentioned). Acid splash is good; shocking grasp is better because it lets you safely move away.

It gets much worse as you go up in levels, because many big monsters end up being very high in Con. Acid Spray, shockingly enough, works quite well on most dragons and many of the large, lumbering monsters.

Your last cantrip or two can be something for utility or trickery. I personally think mage hand is slightly overrated. I feel like people enjoy thinking of all the ways it might be used, but in practice it is seldom necessary. (If you want it, make sure no one else in the party has it.) It's a fun roleplaying device, however, as is prestidigitation. On the other hand, dancing lights, minor illusion, message, and mending can all be very practical choices, especially if you are the creative sort. And light is indispensible if you do not have darkvision.

DO NOT take true strike or blade ward. These are by far the worst spells on the list. They have minor applications in a multiclass or hybrid build, but are nothing but a waste of time for a full sorcerer. Friends is not as good as it might seem, either -- the aftereffect has earned it the more appropriate nickname "enemies."

Agree on all fronts here, including mage hand. I have been looking at Mage Hand for my next cantrip, though, as a "cover holder" spell - here, hold up this tower shield for me :) I might use unseen servant though, as it is a ritual, longer lasting, and a bonus action (rather than an action) to move.

Yeah, I still can't figure out when friends would actually be worth taking. How often do you need to make a Charisma check against someone right now, but don't really care how they feel about you 6 seconds later?

raleel

Explorer
It's the spell you take as a 10th level Enchanter in anticipation of level 14. At that point, you will have single target advantage on charisma checks all the time and alter memories.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Yeah, I still can't figure out when friends would actually be worth taking. How often do you need to make a Charisma check against someone right now, but don't really care how they feel about you 6 seconds later?
Every time you take a prisoner and interrogate him/her. They are hostile towards you before and after the spell, so friends is only benefit in that case

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads