• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizard Cantrips: Which are the best early on?

Sitara

Explorer
Which Wizard cantrips are the best early on, say levels 1-4 in your opinion?

Another thing, is there any reason to take any other attack cantrip aside from Fire Bolt? The only reason I can think of to have a backup available is in the case you come across a critter with resistance to fire. Ray of Frost is a good choice for this, though I have to ask, is there any benefit to the Ray of Frosts slowing down the enemy?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the cantrips. I like that they are at will now and they scale, but the secondary effects of things like Ray of Frost are ridiculously underpowered.

Prism

Explorer
You might also want to take one of the cantrips that doesn't require a to hit roll like poison spray or acid splash. Good vs higher AC's

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Eh, keep in mind that the difference in average damage is only a point per die BASE (the actual damage difference will be even less when hit rates are factored in). Cantrips in general are just not that effective at dealing damage. The slow effect doesn't come into play all that often from my organized play experience - mostly when you have other obstacles hindering movement or enemies that drop prone to avoid ranged attacks. My wizards have pretty much all used Fire Bolt over others. Some other reasons you might want to take others: Spells that target saves don't suffer the disadvantage effect when an enemy closes with you. So Poison Spray/Shocking Grasp/etc are decent to have in reserve.

The real winners IMHO are actually the cantrips that provide utility effects. Minor illusion in particular, but also mage hand, occasionally Friends, and others.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
1. Fire Bolt: Best ranged attack. Decent damage.

2. Shocking Grasp: Advantage against metal armor. If you hit, no reactions for target. Eliminates a lot of defensive abilities and AoOs. Electricity damage.

3. Chill Touch: Great way to defeat healers and regenerating creatures. Does Necrotic damage.

I like having different types of damage and utility effects.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
My Arcane Trickster has gotten tremendous mileage out of minor illusion and mage hand.

EDIT: My mind must be in the gutter today because when I re-read that I got a VERY different picture than what is really going on...

raleel

Explorer
Minor illusion is really excellent. It takes some creativity and I would discuss the parameters with your DM outside of game time and don't step out of them while in game.

I have actually gotten solid use out of message and mending, believe it or not. Not every fight, but I've managed to find good spots for them.
Mage hand is next on my list, mostly so I can have it carry some portable cover for me

I didn't see a lot of point in taking multiple attack ones, but YMMV

guachi

Hero
I find Message invaluable. Sneak ahead and use message to whisper everything you see and hear. Usually, the DM will just tell the hiding player at the table and let everyone hear. But with Message I feel it makes actual sense.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Which Wizard cantrips are the best early on, say levels 1-4 in your opinion?

Another thing, is there any reason to take any other attack cantrip aside from Fire Bolt? The only reason I can think of to have a backup available is in the case you come across a critter with resistance to fire.

Best I can tell, it will be rare to encounter a creature at lower levels that will ever have fire resistance. It's very rare in the MM.

Most of the riders for the damage cantrips will often rarely be encountered in most campaigns (there are always exceptions). The main exception is Acid Splash were having two adjacent foes might be a bit more common.

Your best bet is to just take Fire Bolt to hit AC and either Acid Splash for multi-foe or Poison Spray for high AC foes.

Remove ads