• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard:- Learning spells from captured spellbooks

drala80

First Post
Hello all,

Im a relativly new player, and a little confused over a few the rules about learning new spells....

Im playing 3rd level wizard, who has just recently looted a spellbook with a number of new spells in it. Now... Iv'e spent the 8 hours required to "understand" one of the spells, and passed the DC15 + spell level check.

Not really having the time or the gold to copy the spell into my own spellbook, I was wondering if I can perpare the spell from the capture book by passing another DC15 + spelllevel check ?

Cheers for any advice you can give.

Shape D.

First Post
drala80 said:
Hello all,

Im a relativly new player, and a little confused over a few the rules about learning new spells....

Im playing 3rd level wizard, who has just recently looted a spellbook with a number of new spells in it. Now... Iv'e spent the 8 hours required to "understand" one of the spells, and passed the DC15 + spell level check.

Not really having the time or the gold to copy the spell into my own spellbook, I was wondering if I can perpare the spell from the capture book by passing another DC15 + spelllevel check ?

Cheers for any advice you can give.
No Roll is required to copy it, Just time and money. (or gp)

Once you learn it you know it.

drala80

First Post
Thankyou for the input so far...

To be more exact, this is the line that is causing problems, (from srd)

"A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook"

So... does that mean I have to acually go through the process of writing the spell out in my own book before being able to prepare it from another source ?

irdeggman

First Post
drala80 said:

"A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook"

So... does that mean I have to acually go through the process of writing the spell out in my own book before being able to prepare it from another source ?

Technically you are correct in that you can not memorize a spell not already scribed in your own spellbook.

Now Complete Arcana (pg 140) allows "mastering a foreign spellbook" which in essence allows you to treat the new spellbook as if it was yours.

But it takes time. Spellcraft DC 25 + the level of the highest level spell contained within the spellbook) and 1 week plus 1 day per spell contained within the spellbook. It is "cheap" but a hard spellcraft check and time consuming.

frankthedm

First Post
drala80 said:

YES! While other characters are buying high GP Magic weapons, your GP go onto scribing new spells or Expendable Spell items.

Last edited:

Remove ads