• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spell per day?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Dang. I dislike being wrong.
Oh well. It does happen.

My apologies. In that light, the logical interpretation becomes this one:
Alkiera said:
[Y]ou can each day prepare spells per the normal rules; i.e. you have 1 1st level slot and 1 5th level slot, and they can each hold a spell of their level or lower. So you could mem both your first level dailies, but not both your 5th level dailies.

If you take the extended spellbook feat, you would have 3 of each to choose from, but each day you'd still have 1 1st level, and 1 either 1st or 5th level daily spell.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
And now I have to disagree again.

I was looking at the level progression table. After level 10 you don't get new daily powers (excepting paragon and epic powers), you replace your existing ones.

So, a wizard should be able to prepare a number of spells equal to the number of daily attack powers a character of his level should have. It doesn't matter if they are all 1st level, 5th level or 20th level.
Check the chart on page 29 of the PH.

matthewseidl

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
And now I have to disagree again.

I was looking at the level progression table. After level 10 you don't get new daily powers (excepting paragon and epic powers), you replace your existing ones.

So, a wizard should be able to prepare a number of spells equal to the number of daily attack powers a character of his level should have. It doesn't matter if they are all 1st level, 5th level or 20th level.
Check the chart on page 29 of the PH.

Except the spellbook entry says each day you prepare spells according to what you can cast for your level. You may have level 15 dailies, but you only can cast 1 (unti you're higher than 15th level).

So at level 16, you would have 5 utility slots (a 2nd, 6th, 10th, 12th (Paragon), 16th). You can fill each slot with either of the two powers of that level, or of a lower level, except the paragon slot I believe.

You have 4 encounter power slots. 13, 11 (paragon), 7, 3. You've retrained you're 1's into 13's. Each slot gets something of that level or lower.

Its like the wizard can retrain encounter and utility powers every day after an extended rest, but only to other powers 'known'. It still adds a lot of flexibility, but you can't just take 2 13's and a 7's for encounter powers in the morning. That would be over powered.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
matthewseidl said:
So at level 16, you would have 5 utility slots (a 2nd, 6th, 10th, 12th (Paragon), 16th). You can fill each slot with either of the two powers of that level, or of a lower level, except the paragon slot I believe.

You have 4 encounter power slots. 13, 11 (paragon), 7, 3. You've retrained you're 1's into 13's. Each slot gets something of that level or lower.
Where in the book does it says anything about slots? The only to the number of powers you have is on page 29 and it only spells out the total number of stuff you get. Nothing about level X slots.

Not saying that your interpretation is wrong, but it's very unclear. Especially, as there are no level X slots, AFAIK.

Cheers, LT

Kordeth

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Where in the book does it says anything about slots? The only to the number of powers you have is on page 29 and it only spells out the total number of stuff you get. Nothing about level X slots.

Not saying that your interpretation is wrong, but it's very unclear. Especially, as there are no level X slots, AFAIK.

Cheers, LT

This. There's no such thing as an "X-Level Slot" for powers, you simply have powers. Those powers can be of any level equal to or lower than yours, and every level, if you so choose, you can swap out any power you know for any other power you're capable of using. When a wizard reaches 5th level, he gains one new daily attack power according to the chart in the book--that means he adds two 5th-level daily powers to his spellbook. Each day, he can prepare any two daily attack spells that he has in his spellbook.

Wizards are versatile. Very versatile.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Kordeth said:
Those powers can be of any level equal to or lower than yours, and every level, if you so choose, you can swap out any power you know for any other power you're capable of using.

This is not accurate. The PHB, on retraining:
Power: You can replace a power with another power of the same type (at-will attack power, encounter attack power, daily attack power, or utility power), of the same level or lower... [emphasis added]
Level most certainly does matter for "power slots".

WhatGravitas

Explorer
NMcCoy said:
Power: You can replace a power with another power of the same type (at-will attack power, encounter attack power, daily attack power, or utility power), of the same level or lower... [emphasis added]
That's actually an argument for the absence of "power slots" - because it specifically mentions that the power must be of the same level. Unlike, for example, the wizard spellbook.

In fact, that sentence is needed due to the absence of level-keyed slots.

Cheers, LT.

lutecius

Explorer
NMcCoy said:
yes, that's how i understand it too. It's clearer on this chart (also p143 in the dmg, i don't know why it isn't in the phb)

Otterscrubber

First Post
nightspaladin said:
Ok, so having read the wizard section now, I'm a little confused.

I know that wizards get to pick 2 daily and utility spells everytime they get to a new level that has them. And it specificly says that this does not change the number they can prepare, but can they prepare 2 from the same level?

Example

5th level wizard: Knows 2 1st level daily spells and 2 5th level Daily Spells? i know he can only prepare 2 in a day, and it can't be the same spell twice. Does he have to prepare 1 1st level daily and one 5th level daily, or can he prepare 2 1st level or 2 5th level ones?

I do not see anything in the rules that prohibts a wizard from preparing daily spells from the highest level he can cast, as long as they are not the same spell.

thewok

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
That's actually an argument for the absence of "power slots" - because it specifically mentions that the power must be of the same level. Unlike, for example, the wizard spellbook.

In fact, that sentence is needed due to the absence of level-keyed slots.

Cheers, LT.
There are certain levels where you can trade up lower-level powers for higher-level powers. But they are clearly noted on the level progression table as "replace 1 (type) power." This is in addition to normal retraining, which allows you to swap out feats, powers and so on every level (only one per level). For retraining, the new power must be the same level, type and class. For the power swap levels, you actually trade up.

I don't know about "power slots," but use whatever terminology you like to make it work for you.

edit: and yet, I became so caught up in terminology and such that I forgot the original question. As far as "slots" go, I don't think they exist. Wizards have a certain number of daily spells they can cast. It is their choice as to which spells they prepare. They can choose their highest level ones if they wish. I see nothing in the rules stating otherwise. Other classes don't have choices, so they (obviously) *must* use lower-level abilities until they reach a level that allows a trade up.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads