• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard spellbook blues

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Jhulae said:
Heaven forbid the GM change his house rule after finding out his inital thoughts on how Wizards gained their spells was wrong.
Shhh, happy endings don't make fun threads!

Schadenfreundlich-ly yours, -- N

Andion Isurand

First Post
It's probably well past the time to modfiy the feats your character has already taken.

However, if its possible and your DM decides allow the class features to work as written, then perhaps taking Collegiate Wizard (1st level only feat) can help you obtain new spells in your "ludicrious speed" campaign that has "gone to plaid".

from Complete Arcane, pg. 181

Collegiate Wizard
You have undergone extensive training in a formal school for wizards.
Prerequsites: Int 13, wizard level 1st
Benefit: You begin play with knowledge of six 1st level spells plus 1 per point of Intelligence modier. Each time you gain a wizard level, you may add four spells to your spellbook without additional reasearch. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.
Normal: 1st level wizards begin play with Knowledge of three 1st level spells, and can add two spells per level to their spellbooks.
Special: You can take this feat only as a 1st-level character.

Last edited:

Aestolia

First Post
Thurbane said:
I think Complete Arcane has rules for mastering a captured spellbook?
The rules are in there, but are equally time consuming:

Spellcraft DC = 25+highest level spell in book
Takes one week + one day per spell in the book

failed check means you can't retry until you gain at least one rank in Spellcraft.

Essentially the time cost is the same, one day per spell, (the one week we can chalk up to deciphering time). You do save on the GP cost. For situations like this, when a long period is needed, our GM allows it to be 'over time' like if you have 2 days available a week, you could put those 2 days towards the time needed.

Slaved said:
There is a prestige class where you can basically borrow spells from a mystical group storage place. If that fits in the campaign and with the character then maybe the dungeon master would be ok with just hand waving away the needing to check in for spells because you can just drop in and take a look at the free spells on the collective whenever you like.

I could be misremembering how the prestige class works though.
This is also from complete arcane: Mage of the Arcane Order.

To sum it up you can cast spells totaling up to 1/2 your caster level from the pool per day. You need to leave the slots open to do so, so it's a little like spontaneous casting. (ie. a 10th level caster to call: 1 5th level spell, or 1 3rd & 1 2nd, or 5 1st, etc)

It's not a bad way to supplement your list. and is good for those in a pinch situations. You have to pay back the spells you cast within a set time, or else you loose access to the spellpool.

Thurbane

First Post
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Thurbane has hit 3rd level now...and it seems the rules are pretty much staying as they are. The DM is going to be a bit more flexible with my bonus 2 spells for levelling, so that if I'm away from my guild for an extended period, there will be runners or emissaries who can "bring the spells to me", as it were.

Our party has bigger problems at the moment - we've lost 2 members in the last 2 sessions (1 PC, 1 DMNPC).

All in all, though, I'm tremendously enjoying the current game. As I said way back in the thread, the current DM is one of my all time faorite DMs, and (apart from the niggling with the spellbook rules), runs a great game. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads