• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard using a Cleric-type wand?

QuaziquestGM

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaziquestGM
make an "Idiot proof" general use wand of CLW [...] 3x market price

Er... for 2x market price, you could get 50 potions of CLW.

-- N

each taking a full round action to put down a fallen party members throats (in combat, redering both victim and rescuer "helpless" for the round), with 50 times the encomberance.

Admittally, a simular rod of cwl or csl is better than a wand....

Thanee

First Post
QuaziquestGM said:
What one of my gms did to get around this problem is to make an "Idiot proof" general use wand of CLW, with inscribed instructions in several languages, "touch hurt thing and push button". You should make this 3x market price, only availible from a pacifist order. Or an artifacer.

That would be a wondrous item then. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Nifft said:
Er... for 2x market price, you could get 50 potions of CLW.
Market price of a wand of CLW = 750 gp.

Market price of 50 potions of CLW = [50 x 50 gp] = 2500 gp.

Thus 2x market price of the wand = 1500 gp; 3x market price = 2250 gp.

3x is actually closer to the "potion-price" than 2x is.

sad_genius

First Post
Thanee said:
You need to have the spell on your class list in order to use a wand of that spell.

Bye
Thanee

So by that rationale, a cleric would need UMD to use a wand containing a spell from one of his domains that wasn't on the standard cleric list?

It's worth noting that the SRD says "spell list" not class list, so I'd say that a character that gains a domain in some way (from a PRC for ex.) could use a wand of any spell in that domain; after all, it's now on that character's spell list, and we've already ascertained that the character doesn't have to be able to *cast* the spell to use it from a wand ...

Thanee

First Post
Domains are a special case, of course. Basically it means, that you need to be theoretically able to cast a spell in order to be able to use a wand, altho you do not actually need to be able to cast it right now, just technically be able to learn how to cast it from your class (not with feats you havn't learned yet, or classes you don't have levels in yet, or somesuch), so it cannot be from a prohibited school, another class, or another domain. It also doesn't matter, whether you have the appropriate ability score.

Spell list and class spell list are pretty much the same thing. Spell list probably just refers to the individual character's list, which can be slightly different from the class spell list, through domains and feats like Arcane Disciple.

Of course, it is also very well possible, that domain spells indeed do not allow the spells to be used from wands (at least the rules do make a difference there between a domain spell and a spell on the cleric spell list, which could be the very same spell list mentioned in the spell trigger item description).

It's not clear enough to be said with hundred percent certainty, altho I would doubt that this was the intention... :)

But all that has nothing to do with the point in question, which is, that Extra Spell definitely does not make you able to use a wand with the spell you learned... because you must basically already be able to use a wand of that spell in order to be able to learn it via Extra Spell (doesn't work the other way, tho).

Bye
Thanee

ARandomGod

First Post
Definitely a wonderous item, that...

And, you know, when going for custom wonderous items, why not make one with X/Day charges? I know that's what I prefer!

Quidam

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Definitely a wonderous item, that...

And, you know, when going for custom wonderous items, why not make one with X/Day charges? I know that's what I prefer!

It might be preferable for the player, but often DMs put in charged items for balance reasons- especially if they're in doubt as to the RAW legality of the use to which it is put.

If it becomes a problem, at least it'll be a temporary problem without resorting to heavy-handed DM fiats such as theft & sunder. Not that these are inherently bad, mind you, but they should be used for story purposes, not as a means of removing a problem item from the game. Players can smoke that pretty quickly and can be quick to become resentful.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Thanee said:
Domains are a special case, of course. Basically it means, that you need to be theoretically able to cast a spell in order to be able to use a wand, altho you do not actually need to be able to cast it right now, just technically be able to learn how to cast it from your class (not with feats you havn't learned yet, or classes you don't have levels in yet, or somesuch), so it cannot be from a prohibited school, another class, or another domain. It also doesn't matter, whether you have the appropriate ability score.

Spell list and class spell list are pretty much the same thing. Spell list probably just refers to the individual character's list, which can be slightly different from the class spell list, through domains and feats like Arcane Disciple.

Of course, it is also very well possible, that domain spells indeed do not allow the spells to be used from wands (at least the rules do make a difference there between a domain spell and a spell on the cleric spell list, which could be the very same spell list mentioned in the spell trigger item description).

It's not clear enough to be said with hundred percent certainty, altho I would doubt that this was the intention... :)

But all that has nothing to do with the point in question, which is, that Extra Spell definitely does not make you able to use a wand with the spell you learned... because you must basically already be able to use a wand of that spell in order to be able to learn it via Extra Spell (doesn't work the other way, tho).

Bye
Thanee

Oh, poo! You beat me to it, then I had to go back and rewrite this silly post admitting that fact! :p

The Auld Grump

Remove ads