Wizard vs. Sorcerer

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I so wish sorcerers used spell points per the DMG by default. That would have done so much to make them feel different than the other caster classes.

There is something in the DMG about using spell points??? Where is that?

Vael

Legend
There is something in the DMG about using spell points??? Where is that?

288-289

It's not bad, maps to what you get with spell slots. You do lose the second 6th and 7th level spell slots that you get at 19th and 20th level, (because you're only allowed 1 of each of the 6+ level spells per day) but that's really not enough to worry about.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

288-289

It's not bad, maps to what you get with spell slots. You do lose the second 6th and 7th level spell slots that you get at 19th and 20th level, (because you're only allowed 1 of each of the 6+ level spells per day) but that's really not enough to worry about.

Thanks. I remember seeing it briefly when I got the DMG a couple months ago in preparation for learning/starting 5E. I was looking in the index for "sorcery points" not spell points, which is why I didn't find it before.

Oddly enough, since beginning this thread, I was creating a very similar system to give to Wizards to allow them even greater versatility LOL! I'll have to read through it more carefully now.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you are referring to powerful class abilities, Divine Magic from the Divine Soul is a better ability than Portent.

I think having a sorcerer that can cast cleric spells in 5e is vastly overrated. Sorcerers already can't take enough goody's to feel like a wizard and now you want them to mix cleric spells into the mix. Like adding a single healing spell and maybe bless is a nice addition but given how few spells known an early game sorcerer gets I can't think of many that beat out the normal staples. That said, no other sorcerer subclass really gets a lot of goody's so I'd still rate it the best sorcerer subclass.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
If the game you play is just combat or mostly combat with several rests, then Sorcerer is probably better. If it’s 50/50 then Wizard is better. This is due to wizards effectively having a more varied spell selection as Sorcerers have to limit their spells to what they will find effective in combat situations. It’s the utility.

For example, Leomunds Hut is a rare spell for a Sorcerer, but automatic for wizard. Arcane Eye is great for a wizard, almost never a Sorcerer spell. A Sorcerer could take things like that, but if you are you should just go wizard.

Also, nothing a Sorcerer has approaches the diviner ability with Portent. Other wizard abilities are also unique, the Sorcerer abilities modify the spells they already use, making them better.

These spells aren't on the sorcerer list. Sorcerers don't choose them because they don't get to make that choice. I'd love to be able to choose them, but the designers arbitrarily decided they should be wizard only.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
288-289

In this specific case, would you add the sorcery points the sorcerer gets as bonus spell points or would you keep them as special pool used to fuel metamagic?

Vael

Legend
In this specific case, would you add the sorcery points the sorcerer gets as bonus spell points or would you keep them as special pool used to fuel metamagic?

One pool of points. The use of Sorcery points to create spell slots is identical to the Spell point system, and having two types of points to track offers no advantage.

Remove ads