• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zad

First Post
The Durance Vile - Epilogue

The Durance Vile - Epilogue

OOC Notes:
Exp is 2000.

Loot:
30k per person brings us up to date – books are closed

This Week’s Adventure:
Lord Gelban continued his telepathic exchange with the titan. As he did, the wind started picking up, but there were no clouds with it. It had the smell of an unusual wind, but I couldn’t say why. As I scanned the skies, it was apparent that the Shining Isles was a much bigger demi-plane than the Durance Vile was. There seemed to be no end to the ocean and islands scattered about. While the Durance Vile was a small fortress, this seemed to be an expansive place for a more collaborative purpose. And so far, nothing had tried to kill us, which was of course a plus.

Lord Gelban stopped suddenly and rose to his full height and muttered “Very well. So you won’t relinquish it willingly. At least now I’m sure who it is.” We said a few quiet words to each other, but dragon ears miss little. Lord Gelban said “I can hear you, you know, and yes I do intend to … discuss the matter. Son are you coming?” My eyebrows raised as the titan said “Yes, father,” and then slammed his fist into the ground and with a small spray of blood, dragon wings erupted from his back.

Before taking to the air, Lord Gelban turned to us. “There will be some difficulty ahead. If you wish to remain here, I understand. I do not wish to put you in an unpleasant situation.” The reactions varied from Hammer saying “Agh, I’m not gonna miss this!” to some of us remarking that the Durance Vile was unpleasant, and how unlikely it was that this would be more so. There was a massive rush of air as Lord Gelban launched into the sky with a single beat of his wings, and we all fell in behind him, most of us riding Hammer and Tongs. As we rose in the sky, the Titan introduced himself as Dormantd. I was about to introduce myself but then realized that he probably already knew who we were and he smiled and said he did, and we all did our best to keep pace with the massive gold dragon in front of us.

As we passed over one island, a pair of silver dragons shot out from the trees below, as though they had been waiting. They rose quickly and each breathed a blast of cold at Lord Gelban, who banked and avoided both. Lord Gelban for the most part ignored them, and the silvers then fell into formation behind him. Dormandt was close enough to be heard, and easily read the confused looks on our faces. He called out “It is the Gauntlet. The challenge for the right of the Gilden. If he cannot stand up to the forces, then he is not fit to lead us. I would have hoped he would have rested and prepared, but so be it.” I asked him pointedly what the protocols of the ritual were and he had no difficulty understanding my meaning. He replied “Father would be quite cross with you if you interfered directly.”

His answer spoke volumes.

Lord Gelban then suddenly dove into the open sea, launching a massive spray into the air. After a moment he came back into the sky, followed by two smaller gold dragons who also fell in behind him. As the ancient gold rose, Hammer banked near him and got Dravot close enough to cast a quick endurance enhancement on him. If was not interfering directly after all. I tried to convince Tongs to do the same so I could cast a Cat’s Grace but I couldn’t convince her to do it. She seemed hesitant about the entire matter and did not want to risk overstepping any bound. As one of the only two copper dragons in sight, I can see why she might feel this way. Personally, I wasn’t above interfering directly if it seemed warranted – “quite cross” wasn’t much of a discouragement.

Two more silvers were waiting in the air, and Lord Gelban avoided most of their breath weapons as well, and they too joined the formation. From above, two solars came into view, each taking a single swing with their blades as Lord Gelban passed. (Dravot was sure one of them missed on purpose.)

We went through some ten minutes of this, passing over island and sea, with some twenty dragons in formation as well as a few solars and some other beings. Lord Gelban was lightly wounded but fairly well intact for whatever lay ahead. On an island ahead were a series of joined columns, forty feet high with arches connecting them outlining a large oval shape. Waiting calmly in the center was a gold dragon – large but not so large as the one we followed. There were dragons arrayed all around the area somewhat haphazardly, or so it seemed until the following dragons landed, each in their designated area. It just underscored how the Shining Isles, while beautiful, was a bit too orderly and forced for my tastes.

Lord Gelban went into a dive and rose back up over the arena in a tight arc. Then he dropped like a rock til he was mere feet from the ground and with a single wingbeat landed on the island with a crack of stone and cloud of dust. Tongs seemed uncertain where to land but her brother had no worry for propriety and he went straight for an open space at the edge of the arena behind Lord Gelban. Tongs sighed and follwed him in.

Gelban reared up slightly after landing and his voice boomed out with a patronizing tone “Paravandr… I thank you for watching over the Gold’s direction in my absence. Your services are no longer needed in that capacity.”

The air was still, and it seemed as if there was no reply. But dragons are subtle, and my ears picked up a small snort from the other gold. He was quiet for a moment more then he tilted his head in reply. “Gelban, I am glad to see you unharmed. We had hoped to negotiate for your release but I see your… mammals have freed you.”

“No thanks to you,” I said under my breath, knowing full well the dragon could easily hear me. Paravandr did hear, and inhaled slightly but he continued unfazed “However the Golds have spoken in your absence. They have decided that my way is the better course. Your continual… dalliances with the less civic minded creatures of the Flaness have caused the Golds and Silvers trouble. We have tried our best to guide them over time, but I think we’ve wasted too many resources trying to guide these more chaotically minded beings. We can serve the greater good in other ways.”

“By sitting on your arses and doing nothing,” was Valanthe’s whispered reply, and I had to stifle my laugh. Again, Paravandr did his best to ignore it and go on.

“Your guilt and fondness over these creatures, while laudable, has clouded your judgement with regards to them. The whole council affair was a misstep which I think we should re-evaluate.”

I could hear murmurs from the other golds, but the silvers were quiet. They seemed to be more here as observers. They were welcome guests but this is not their place, nor their matter to speak on. But then I heard a low rumble, and what I first thought was thunder was a low roar from Gelban, building until it erupted like a volcano. His foreleg cracked the stone as it slammed down when Gelban stepped forward shouting “Dalliances?!?!?” Another crack of thunder with the second step. “Where were you when I ripped Ashardalon’s heart from his chest, still beating, hatchling? Where were you when we taught men and elves the ways of magic? Still unhatched! Where were you when we bound the Primals? Still unhatched! You seek to judge me? To tell me how to guide our people? Who’s mate died in the protection of our people? Not yours! Oh that’s right – you haven’t secured a mate yet have you? When I left this position, the Flaness was still in some form of stability. I’m sure that’s not the case now. Order has not been served. Further you forgot the first rule of being a Gold dragon – always have a plan. My ‘dalliances’ with the humans, elves, halflings, and dwarves have produced allies that have enhanced the greater good of all. Your idiotic hiding in a shell like a hatchling gains us nothing. Have you moved against any of our enemies, or have you simply hoped they would do no more while you hide like a coward?” Paravandr started a reply but Gelban cut him off with a snort saying “Don’t bother lying – I can tell you don’t have anything important to say. Either give it up now, or by combat – I don’t care which. It just means more scratches on your face.”

Lord Gelban opened his wings to full spread and rose up, blocking the sun from view. But Paravandr’s thoughts were clear on his face. He was about to urge a protest, maybe even fight. But his eyes scanned the dragons assembled, and he knew that he had already lost the vote. Rather than fight a futile battle, Paravandr kneeled and lowered his head to the ground. A strong wind blew from behind him, buffeting him for a moment.

Lord Gelban leaned back and regarded him. “Better you know your place boy. Now I believe a formal apology is in order. As the reinstated Gilden, I expect you to apologize to my friends. I will leave the method to them to decide. I’m sure honor will be satisfied.”

Lord Gelban turned to us and said “Don’t abuse him too terribly much. I’ll return in half an hour.” And then he thanked each of us for his liberation, there in front of the assembled dragons. At the end, he said “I knew among all others, I could count on you.” He then went off with his son.

Paravandr came forward. He regarded each of us for a moment, taking us in. Then he said “I apologize for any disparaging comments I have made.” I’ve heard children try harder at convincing apologies. Valanthe made it clear that he’d have to try harder than just that. Paravandr then shifted shape to an elf. Or he tried too. The ears were too long, and he clearly didn’t make a habit of doing such things. He then humbly apologized, but this time I think he really meant it. He meant no harm, though his words were ill chosen.

I had many thoughts all at once about this Gold. In a way I felt bad for him. I’m sure he was doing what he thought was best, but it still felt wrong. I looked at him quietly and said “Tell me this – if Lord Gelban had been here, and it had been you chained in a pit, your soul being fed to Ashardalon, would you have wanted him to leave you to rot?” I wasn’t expecting an answer and didn’t get one. I was just disappointed that he’d leave one of his own kind there, and I think he saw that. I let it go there though – I didn’t want to torment him. Bolo spoke to him more at length, and it seemed to be a meaningful exchange. Bolo thought he was a good being who made some bad choices. Maybe by the end he decided we were more than just mere mammals, but who knows.

Hammer and Valanthe discussed an apology involving Paravandr singing “I’m a little teapot” but Valanthe didn’t abuse the defeated gold quite that badly. Aethramyr also had some private words with him. If they were as wise as Aethramyr’s words usually are, I’m sure it gave Paravandr something to think about. And I’m sure that flask was involved.

For my part, I noticed the Platinar on the far side of the arena, and I went over to say hello. He greeted me, and thanked me for my part in Lord Gelban’s release. I inquired about the Silverring and he said that he was rousing now and would be awake in two days time. Of course this was time on the Prime, since time would be moving slowly here for a while. Hopefully he’ll be awake for several weeks or months now. I asked him what he thought the reds would do. He wasn’t sure. They would likely regroup, and shore up their alliances. The Golds, he told me, get a lot more emotional about things than the Silvers to, as he waved his hand at the arena indicating the leadership challenges. But for the reds it’s much different. The Infernus has lost a prize prisoner, stolen from his very lair. There will likely be a great deal of political infighting within the reds as a result. But within the reds, that means blood will be shed. Hopefully they’ll be too busy with their own house to cause any major havoc any time soon.

We touched back on the topic of the Silverring, and the Platinar sighed. He certainly felt somewhat awkward about the state of affairs. “I am…” he started “You see.... I …. My master is tired. Tired in spirit. No dragon is older than the Silverring. He refuses to release because of his perceived debt to your race, and to the humans though Gelban bears that greater. But the Silverring remembers that he gave the knowledge of magic to us, and the things that came since. The time may come very soon when there will be a change among our kind.”

I said “Hopefully more peaceful than the one here today.” He just sighed “No… We don’t do things quite this way. The Golds can be like the reds in their way. The Silvers don’t believe in prancing about so. However should the time come, and should I be the one, know that I will be your ally. You have earned the respect of the Silvers, at least all the ones I know.”

I was moved and could say nothing and just smiled and nodded in thanks. He decided to move to another topic, saying “And I would think that Gelban has some new scales for you. Your old ones are probably burned out by now – the Silverring touched them for good reasons but such things tend to destroy the scales sooner or later.”

[OOC: At this point, somehow we got into discussions about odd creatures, such as the Custard Elemental and the Sock Golem. It’s in the notes, so it shows up here. I couldn’t make this stuff up.]

Lord Gelban returned soon enough. He took his usual human form as he landed, making conversation somewhat less of a strain on the neck. He looked over each of us and said solemnly “You all could use a bath.” With a smile he went on “I’ve slowed the passage of time here that I may understand what’s happened during my time in captivity and to allow you to rest. One minute will pass on the prime for each hour here. I suppose I could slow it more… “ and then he and Scorch got into a conversation regarding the passage of time, demi-planes, and other such subjects as to make my ears ache. Eventually they got back to the topic and Gelban went on saying “Aethramyr can fashion an abode for you with his mind. He would that we all could, but only someone of like mind can do such things here. We can take our ease and rest for as long as we like. There are meeting places around the isles where some types of commerce takes place. Indeed all of the Shining Isles is a meeting place, unlike Durance vile which is a cage and a prison.”

Scorch asked if there was a good place where he could try some things out. Somewhere that perhaps some incidental destruction would not be troublesome. I just sighed and smiled. After many side questions, Gelban said he would like to talk at length tomorrow that he might be better informed of what else has happened lately. Bolo, unable to contain his curiousity any longer, asked about Dydd and that spawned a long discussion on the nature of dragons.

Ashardalon is neither dead nor alive. Many dragons when they reach a certain age choose to “pass with dignity” as they call it. They select a time and a place, and they simply let go. Where their spirits go is unknown. They have never been able to contact one. Most dragons have accepted this, even among the chromatics. When most reds reach that kind of age, the young ones tear their throats and rip them down, so it’s rarely an issue. Whites often just fall asleep and never awaken. But for most of the more intelligent dragons, the passing is their way. But Ashardalon was different. Ashardalon saw death coming. He grew mighty and powerful to the point where some humans and elves worshipped him. He believed that he did not deserve to die, that indeed he should not die for if he did, all dragons might die. Ashardalon went wrong. He sought another way – a way not to die. And he gathered power to himself.

Gelban paused to collect his thoughts, then went on. “The Scaled Council is a fairly new thing. Well new to us – it’s relative.” He turned to me saying “Your parents would know of a time when it did not exist, had they known of it of course. It was born from an agreement – the metallics won’t make war on the chromatics if the chromatics won’t go out of their way to harm the lesser…” he corrected himself “younger races. Some good dragons would be slain by evil ones, some evil ones by good ones, but it was just the way of things, and for the most part the balance was maintained. But then Ashardalon grew reckless. He consorted with dark powers. He started slaughtering his own people to drain their life force. He did not just kill them, but drained their essence and burned it like a candle to extend his life as he grew weaker. Ashardalon raised a temple in Keoland and gathered dark priests, many recruited from far removed generations of storm lords. They began kidnapping people. It had to stop. Even the chromatics stood aside to allow this. But Ashardalon was truly powerful. Even I alone would have had difficulty, and Ashardalon had shadow magic helping him. I enlisted the aid of a powerful druid, Dydd, who had the means to counter the shadow magic. She was powerful and had tapped into some greater power. That power, when in Ashardalon’s presence, made him weaker. My mate and I went into combat. She was a human paladin. She slowed him down, and I tore his heart from his chest and threw it to the winds. Or so I thought. I thought it would kill him. I cast his body down and we cracked the earth and dropped the citadel into it.”

Most of us, save Bolo, were nodding, remembering well our journey into that citadel. “Had I realized that when I sent you for the fruit that it was the same area, I might not have sent you. Had I realized something was going on there, I might have investigated further. But my concern for my daughter blinded me. Regardless, Ashardalon lives still, has a hole in his chest still, needs energy still. This I discovered while in the Durance Vile. There is now a black hole in his chest that devours all light. Ashardalon no longer controls the Durance Vile, and yet in ways he does. Infernus and Ashardalon have an uneasy détente. The bore into the Durance Vile from the shadow plane makes me think that Ashardalon is trying to increase his power but he is now only a puppet for the Shadow King.”

As Gelban continued his thought, his eyes narrowed. “Infernus is no easy thing, but if I see him again, I’ll show him what I did to Ashardalon.” He seethed a moment but then returned to the moment, working his way around to Bolo’s original question. “I knew you were a descendant of Dydd – our auguries told us as much. And you have the same power to weaken Ashardalon as she did. That’s not the reason you were chosen however. The Druids were my allies. But many of them were attacked, just as you were. Very few of them survived. You are quite possibly one of the most powerful druids left in the world. Ashardalon has taken steps to try to destroy the old religion. For my part I will do what I can to help, but I confess I’m not sure what to do.” Bolo sank into stunned silence as the realization hit him that the reason he’d been unable to contact his order was that most of them were dead.

Before we ended our conversation, Lord Gelban gave each of us a new scale. Personally I was glad to have it back. It may be simple but it may also be our most powerful tool.

The next day, we met again and informed Lord Gelban of all that had been happening in his absence. He was insistent on recounting every detail, and it took some hours to recount it all. For our part we held nothing back, save for the omission of the precise location of Ruun Khazai. If Lord Gelban wanted to know, he showed no indication, and did not ask. After the ancient gold was satisfied, we asked our own questions. We asked of the Shadow Taker but Lord Gelban knew little of him, and suggested asking the Silverring.

We also asked what he knew about more powerful weapons, and explained our concerns as related to the creatures like GlaceRage and the beholder. He said that most items of that power have come from celestials or fiends, or have been manufactured in secret by very enterprising mortals. What he could tell us was this: it is not a trivial matter to make such items. It usually requires access to a major power source and great skill. It is very hard to upgrade an existing item, as exposure to the power usually will destroy the item. This is especially true for Primals. Usually such a thing is too chaotic to last long. Of course the most distressing part about such a technique is that you need access to a Primal to make it work, and that’s a very uncomfortable idea. I recalled seeing the solars earlier and asked if perhaps they would know something about the celestial sources of such things and he said he would check.

Bolo I think asked about the Mark of Fire, and that it wasn’t a Primal but Prince Sumez who gave it to us. Lord Gelban reminded us of what we already knew: Prince Sumez was a liar. He didn’t give us the mark. We already had it. He simply made it visible. Some beings are simply born with it. We are like wildfire. We bring about cataclysms that change things. Aethramyr also bears the Mark of Earth – it brings stasis and stability.

In passing the matter of the Greyhawk dragons came up. Lord Gelban knew of them, and said they were a bastard breed. (He meant no disrespect, just as a matter-of-fact.) We knew of the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire, but magic of that magnitude has other consequences. Many died, but many others were no longer of their breed. They had been changed. This is what happened to the Greyhawk Dragons. They prefer to be human more than dragon. Gelban thought the souls of the dying and the dead entered into those dragons and changed them, terrified them perhaps. Scared them grey. They distanced themselves from the other dragons, and see themselves as mankind’s protectors. They are a force to be reckoned with, but particularly in Greyhawk, which they view as their territory. They were probably caught napping when the chromatics moved, just like so many others were. Lord Gelban views them as undisciplined but they are not at all a threat.

After we had all spent ourselves on questions, we tended to our individual affairs. The next few weeks went by quickly. Scorch and Dravot spent some time making magic items, and other such things. I’m actually not sure what most of the others were up to. Myself I just relaxed. But the humans began getting impatient to return, and I suppose it was time. But before we left, we wanted to check into where Brontal the smith might be. Based on the answers from Dravot’s Commune, he was involved with the Shadow Taker. Scorch tried to scry him, but it showed some kind of unrelated image. Dravot however decided to try something more potent, and enjoined Pelor to reveal Brontal’s location. He saw an image of the smith floating in a bath of golden light, which turned painfully white after a moment. The man was sleeping or unconscious somewhat like Zera or Zara while in the demi-plane. Indeed Pelor revealed that the man was in a demi-plane called The Bestiary. The knowledge was important, but not as helpful as I’d hoped.

With that we were ready to return, and Scorch opened a Gate to the Land of Black Ice. There were some… issues with our arrival. What with time passing more quickly in the Shining Isles, our entry was something less than graceful. Bolo scared the wits from some poor guardsman, but otherwise we arrived in tact. We headed for the great rowan and saw the Owl on the way. The village had come a long way, and as we walked the townsfolk showed a mix of awe and reverence for our assembled party. I was uncertain what to think of our reputations and just accepted it for now. Ariadne and Ravenna were in the tree, and both the tree and Ravenna were looking much healthier. Ariadne squealed when she saw us and gave me a hug, and already knew her father was back safely.

Scorch, in his typical inelegant way, told Ravenna that we had seen Rackhir. She seemed shocked by Scorch’s bluntness, but given how direct Ravenna has been in the past I was surprised she’d balk at that. Ravenna was a bit stunned but said little else.

When she recovered her wits, she presented Bolo with a box, which she said was a gift for him from “Mother.” It was a small bracelet of living ivy.

From there we spread out and tended to our own matters. Bolo went to talk to his parent, none to eager to explain to them that he was now an elf. I don’t envy him for that conversation. Telling my parent that I had died was hard enough. Apparently they took it fairly well, although his mother did say “I’m sure if we talk to your friend Scorch he can fix you.”

Scorch went off to see how his sister Ember was doing. Apparently she was studying hard and was flourishing under the Owl’s tutelage. There had been some trouble recently with nomads from the Wolf Clan attacking but the town easily repelled them. Dravot spent some time with the local church.

I spent some time with Ariadne. She was of course concerned about her father and us. I managed to avoid telling her too many details about the whole matter – I wasn’t sure what would be appropriate, and I felt that she might be very upset if she learned the exact details of her father’s captivity.

We seem to be of a mind that our next task will be to break Zera free of the curse, and recover the Light of Reason. We’ll want to talk to the Silverring before we go, to see what he knows of the Shadow Taker. This got us talking about the Lendores and a possible visit there but none of us had ever been there to teleport. We tried to think of someone who might be there we could scry, but all we could think of was the Silverring. I was delighted when Scorch let me use the crystal ball to try to scry him, but unfortunately I couldn’t key in on him. Then I decided to peek in on Aran’gel quickly, which worked just fine. He was hunting some stray twig blights in the forest. Scorch didn’t seem to care for that use as much so I didn’t push it, but I did smile a lot. Meanwhile the only other person we could think of who might be connected was the sea captain who sailed us across the Nyr Dyv. Unfortunately he was still on the Nyr Dyv so a trip to the Lendores would have to wait for a bit. But it might be wise to go there before we visit the Shadow Taker. Dravot and I have discussed him at length and are concerned that he has been watching us for some time. We’d like to somehow approach him without divination magics giving us away but protecting the entire group seems an impossible task.

But one way or another, our path will take us to Ekbir. And soon.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Shlaaath licked the marrow off of the bloody bone. It tasted like strawberries and rot. Gluuuth, watching hungrily, snorted his displeasure. He had wanted the meat from the kill of the half-dragon...reds tasted the best. The others were all sullied by the demons touch, but not this one. Oh no, it was fresh, and steaming and oh so warmmmmm.

It had been a cushy reward, this job. Slay a few of Infernus' flunkies, eat them if he liked, and keep the blot open. Simple enough. Even if he had to deal with that idiot Gluuuth or their cartoonish copies.

With a bright rainbow flash, the Spectral Citadel absorb some of the light from air, and sent a beam of pure shadow energy into the blot. The arched of fused bone and shadow muscle pulsed like a thing alive, and the swirling purple vortex screeched like a raven on fire. Then it returned to relative calm.

Suddenly, one of the shadow demon's head snapped up, as if it sensed something. It was one of the Shadow King's puppets, not really a demon at all. Shlaaath knew this, because he WAS a demon, and resented the name given to these shadowy pawns. Suddenly, he heard the woman's voice, pealing like a bell.

But how? Shlaath's senses were powerful, his grasp of the shadow plane great. How could a simple human woman get so close to the gate of bone and shadow? As the others charged forth, the strange woman's form resolved, her stealth all but abaondoned in favor of whatever it was she was doing.

Gluuuth smelled her flesh, and growled in their terrible tongue. He tried to place the pretty in a magic jar, but to no avail. She laughed and continued to read the scroll (A SCROLL?!?) she had. She was human, and warm, but she looked like no human Shlaaath knew. Her skin seemed to absorb the light, and was too dark to be naturally that color. Behind her were two beings, and elf and a dwarf, who looked more like chalk etchings than living things.

Shlaath tried to put a fear into her, but to no avail. Again, she laughed, and finished her spell. The paper erupted into purple flames, and a blast of shadow energy struck the gate. While Slaaath watched, the swirling vortex of energy turned into a tornado turned on its side. Then suddenly, the energy flowed like water down a drain, the funnel disappearing. Then the gate creaked once, twice and then grew brittle and cracked once, twice and then collapsed in a pile.

Slaaath, unbelieving, turned his head. The Shadow demons were on her now, but having no luck. She dodged their strikes, mocking them as she went. She backpedaled with confidence, and she and her two companions jumped in the air, and vanished. Plane shifted.

Silence, then.

All four turned to stare at the gate. A cushy reward. He and Gluuuth whimpered.

Fraz was NOT going to be pleased.

Zad

First Post
The World Around You:

This is just some background material for the readers to help understand the nature of the campaign world that this all takes place in. The characters are now mostly 19th level, and we are gearing up for epic levels. In some worlds this might be common and in others unheard of. So here’s some information about this world and the characters. Maybe it's helpful, maybe not.

Out of character: Normal characters would stop at 20th level. Only those somehow touched by the primals can go beyond. All of us bear the Mark of Fire, presumably born with it. Aethramyr also has a second mark, of Earth. There are about 9 or so Primals, beings of vast power that created the prime on a whim, and were ultimately contained by the dragons. Some key beings in the world (Mordenkainen for instance) are surely epic level, while others are not. So it’s not as if there’s the conscious realization that there is a wall at 20th level. However the realization is there that they are as powerful as anyone they have ever heard of, and yet there is the question of what lies beyond? They’ve certainly seen hints that there is more waiting.

In character:

As a group, we’re realizing that we’re now among the most powerful people in the Flaness. Of course, most powerful beings tend to avoid the public eye, so you have to take that into account. But both in terms of our individual power, and our ability as a group to get things done, we’re a force that other entities have to reckon with.

We’ve all heard different stories and legends as we’ve grown up, and we’re each doing fantastic feats within our particular disciplines. For a group that has been growing and improving, the realization is starting to hit that we have never heard stories of people doing a whole lot more than we can do right now. This is an odd kind of thing to understand. It’s perhaps more easily understood when we think of our weapons – extremely powerful magical items and yet they have been unable to penetrate the defenses of some of the creatures we’ve seen of late. Is there nothing more? We’ve been asking questions about that very topic.

Most common folk tend to reflexively refer to us by noble titles, but that has been the case since around 10th level really. Beyond that, each one varies a lot as to their reputation.

Dravot d'Chandagnac is arguably the most visible and widely known of the group. He is called the Living Saint Dravot. His face, name, and deeds are known by all priests of Pelor, and by the folk in areas where Pelor is worshipped. In the Great Kingdom and near his home of Brindinford, he is known as a rising political power as well. However his alliances are uncertain and unknown. He is surely feared partly as being an unknown element and as a servant of the church rather than his own political ambitions, and this makes him a wildcard. Off plane, he is widely known to Pelor’s celestial hosts, and probably to some fiends, especially those with undead ties.

Scorch is the head of the Grey Guild in Greyhawk, however he has not told the group that yet. If you are a powerful mage who has contact with others, you have surely heard his name. He is well known in Sigil also. Mordenkainen knows him enough to call him “an inept hedge wizard”. He’s not a household name, but if you move in circles of great magical power, you have certainly heard of him, and likely know more of his power than of his politics.

Valanthe walks the shadowy streets and dark places, and legends are easily born and spread in such conditions. In Greyhawk and Dyvers, countless mysterious happenings are attributed to her. She is an underworld figure who is often spoken of and never seen. (Mostly because she really hasn’t been doing half of what folks say.) She’s presumed by some to lead a vast criminal guild, by others to lead a small band of deadly assassins, and by still others to be masquerading as a political figure by day. On the shadow plane, her name is often spoken of, and she’s known for her willingness to make waves.

Bolo is one of the most powerful druids alive right now. (Dravot’s player aptly points out that a third level druid is also one of the most powerful druids alive right now.) However it will fall to Bolo to restore the old religion, and gather the few remaining practitioners back to the fold. If you are one of the few people left alive in druidic circles, then you know of Bolo. In time, his reputation will spread far however.

Aethramyr is called “The Paragon” by some. He’s very famous in the Lendore Islands, despite having never been there, and has some notice among the followers of Pelor as well. He’s also more known than most of us to the common man, especially around Greyhawk, Highfolk and Brindinford, where he’s a hero of Herculean stature. He’s very popular in the bardic tales and his name is well traveled and well respected. In general, an elven paladin who rides a dire wolf makes for a great story, and most of them are even true.

Kayleigh is a famous figure amonst the elves of Celene. Partly this is due to her “association” with a certain Prince, but just as much for her own accomplishments, which are legendary. In Greyhawk, Brindinford and Keoland her archery is almost beyond mortal ken. Most elves have at least heard of her, though with varying degrees of knowledge.

Oddly, the group has been largely involved in affairs off-plane recently, so their fame has grown while they’ve been busy. Likely they’ll get smacked in the face with it when they return to someplace like Greyhawk. Of course fame has its price, and the stories never tell you about how the heroes constantly had to be dodging various assassination attempts or other subtrifuge.

WizarDru

Adventurer
From the center of his web, the Spider snarled. They would be coming. So many schemes, laid bare. So much effort, now wasted. He had underestimated Gelban's adventurers, and it had cost him. But they had help, more than once. Someone, or something was interfering where it was not welcome.

It would not DO.

A finger snapped, a life snuffed out. Let them come. He would teach them the true meaning of horror. He would show them what he had learned....from the shadows.

"Make ready. Gelban's heroes will come. We must see to an appropriate reception."

Behind the Spider, a solitary figure began to laugh.
There was no joy in it.
But then, with the Archer, there never was.

Join us for the next update, when we learn the true nature of the Shadow King, visit with some communist-hippie elves and enter into battle in the Dreaming itself. Oh, and RogueEagle...thanks for the praise. We always enjoy hearing from folks who enjoy our Story Hour, and I assure you we're not ready to lay down our swords for some time. The group is quite attached to their characters, and we have a great time. I didn't originally envision the game going beyond 20th, but that's because the rules didn't exist at the outset...in which case I would have fudged it, somewhat. However, the arrival of Epic levels should make for some interesting twists and turns. Stick with us, it's gonna be fun. :D

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Interlude

Interlude

The last month of doing basically nothing had been a wonderful respite. It seemed like we rarely had a chance to stop and catch our breath, and the time was made doubly pleasant by knowing that events on the Prime were on hold so there was no guilt at leaving something undone. But I was still glad to be back on the Prime. Bolo had a few matters to tend to in the grove and we would need to wait two days before we could speak to the Silverring in any case, so I had a little time to tend to my own affairs.

Ariadne seemed safe and happy so there were no concerns there. With the helm of teleportation in one hand, and Scorch’s crystal ball in the other (graciously loaned – I might need to get one of these some day) I was ready to head out.

My first stop was to scry on Aran’gel. I found him easily enough and he was apparently hip deep in a fight with several twig horrors and a gulthite which suited me just fine. I appeared in mid air (for some reason I always get nervous about teleporting onto the ground – as if I might miss and land inside the dirt somehow) and joined in the fray. It wasn’t really necessary – they had the situation well in hand. But it was fun nonetheless, and quickly over. He smiled as he walked over to me, saying “And here I thought it was just mother checking on me again.”

They had been tracking these horrors for the better part of the day, and they could rest a bit with them dead, so the men set up camp while we talked. He told me what had been happening lately. Generally the attacks had relented but several strike parties had been dispatched to put down groups of horrors and orcs. I mused on the notion that he had not returned to Highfolk and he only sighed and said that Celene needed him, and he would be there.

I told him of Lord Gelban’s rescue. I probably spent more time babbling about the City of Brass or the dragon’s rituals than the actual rescue itself, but he didn’t seem to mind. He quietly noted that I had obviously come a long way, and I fell silent as it brought me to another topic.

After an awkward time, I said “I suppose I have,” and with that drew a single arrow from my quiver. It looked like my usual arrows, save that the fletching was black. It seemed a bit cliché, but still appropriate. I handed it to Aran’gel and he took it and turned it in his hands a few moments. It was safe enough – the death magic would not become active until I empowered the arrow in the act of firing it. But he knew what it was.

“You never told me about this. You never told me this was part of Corellean’s blessing, part of being a Champion.”

He didn’t flinch. “An arrow is often used to kill. This arrow is no different, just more direct in the application. It is a tool like any other, and is not evil on its own. As for telling you… it is not the custom. The Last Arrow is something each Champion learns for himself, should their flame burn that brightly. Many never know of its existence. I suppose I should have known you would find it someday.”

I just nodded. So it was a test, or perhaps not so much a test as a milestone. Fair enough.

“But there’s more you need to know about it.” His face took on a stern look. “You must never, ever use it against the undead.”

I blinked once or twice in confusion. “Why would I do anything as silly as that? The undead are immune to such things, being hampered by the fact that they’re already dead and all.”

“You don’t understand. It is very dangerous. There are . . . consequences. If the Last Arrow is used on one of the unliving, it can open a rift to the negative energy plane. The results would be severe, and unpleasant.”

“Ahhhh.” I said, now understanding the nature of the warning. “Well, I doubt the occasion will arrive often to use it. Quite honestly, the strength of my spellcraft is rarely sufficient to overcome the kinds of foes I encounter these days. I think I was more chilled not by the actual use of the arrow but by the fact that it could be done.”

“There was however another reason I stopped by,” I said with a lighter mood returning.

“Oh?” Aran’gel was curious but wary. Smart man.

“We wanted to stop by the Lendore Isles and see the Mistress of the Guild of Sleep. But we’ve never been out that far, and no of nobody we could scry to see the area. You don’t happen to know anyone out there do you?”

He thought for a few moments and said that he did know someone, no, two people, who had received the Testing. It took him some effort and a fair bit of time (neither of us are adept scriers) but with the help of the crystal ball we managed to find one of the men – a fletcher named Hervin – standing at a fountain in what looked like a small square. I made careful note of the man and location.

After spending several hours with him and enjoying a good meal, I made preparations to leave. The farewells took some few minutes but unfortunately didn’t last longer. I bounced out of his arms and said farewell to the troops and just smiled at Aran’gel before I put on that dreadful helmet and teleported out.

We have GOT to do something about this helmet.

This time I landed at my parent’s home. My mother and the servants were getting more used to my abrupt arrivals and we chatted. Father wasn’t home yet from the armies but he was expected back soon, as many of the troops were standing down for now. I spent the night in a warm bed and in the morning headed for the palace.

The guards and functionaries melted away and I was quickly in audience with the Queen and Onselven. I informed her of the release of the Gilden and his re-assertion of his former position, but left the details out. The Queen surprised me by referring to Gelban at one point. I had never told her that Lord Gelban was The Gilden, nor had she mentioned she knew. But apparently she had for some time, and knew that things had changed recently with the dragons, so much of my information was only a confirmation. We spent some time trading information and getting each other up to date, and even a little time just talking.

On the home front, The Queen and her long-suffering counselor have been balancing their time. Onselven has been acting as Captain-General, although there are now three theaters of war: Melf has returned at last, and acts as general to the northern reaches, Aran'gel hunts the southlands, finding and eliminating the remaining twig horrors wherever they can be found, while my father leads a skirmishing force with a joint task-force from Urnst and Ulek along the eastern forests near the border with the Wild Coast. I was concerned about father briefly but he’d been doing this since before I was born, and he was probably safer than I was of late.

The Duke of Geoff has managed to raise a large military force (bolstered by mercenaries from Keoland), and has driven forth to recapture Hochoch, south of the Dim Forest. Chavram's forces, which are now indentified as the Duke’s second cohort, have not entered Geoff for an alliance, as the queen had suspected, but as a force for liberation! Under his direction and direct intervention, Chavram's forces have managed to recapture Gorna, the capital city, and driven the giants into the Stark Hills and back into the Crystalmists. The queen believes that the Duke of Geoff has made an alliance with Chavram, but what the details are, she couldn't say. Fascinating news to say the least. What is Chavram up to?

I excused myself when we were through and returned to the Land of Black Ice, and we made preparations to teleport to the Lendores.

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 1

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 1

OOC Notes:
Exp is 3000

This Week’s Adventure:
Aethramyr was floating in the dreamscape when suddenly the landscape started resolving around him in scene not under his control. He saw two huge waterfalls running into a shallow valley from a high cliff. Near the center, where the two waterfalls merge into a single river, is a lush green valley. An austere temple of white marble sits on the riverside, with banners of white and burnished gold dancing in the wind. He saw people – humans - in the area in white robes, chatting pleasantly with each other. As he moved closer to investigate, he felt a sudden chill. The sun became obscured by black clouds and a dark wind descended into the valley, killing anyone it touched. The temple aged a century in the span of a second, and suddenly a figure appeared atop the highest of the now dark marble tiers. He was a gaunt figure dressed in black robes. From one hand, impossibly thin red wires stretched into the skies. He waggled a finger and a line went taught, and he jerked hard. Something came flying in – a human body with the wire forming a red loop around its neck. The gaunt being pulled the body onto himself, as if he were putting on a cloak. This new face wore black robes as well, but with distinct arcane symbols embroidered in silver thread. On the face was a mask with horns.

The being snapped his fingers, and the dark clouds and shadow expanded, rushing out from him. The very ground collapsed and was drawn into the shadow, which came rushing straight at Aethramyr. He could feel Shatterspike suddenly in his hand, warmer than usual. The sword was fully energized and humming with power. The wave of shadow crashed onto the paladin but was stopped by an invisible wall – the protection of the sword. The rush of darkness swirled and a humanoid form emerged with burning red eyes. It was like a nightshade but darker. Over its back was a greatsword, made of the same crystal as the sword of Fellsoul, the fallen blackguard. The being drew the blade slowly and regarded Aethramyr, a silent challenge.

The two beings attacked almost simultaneously. A flurry of strokes and parries as each penetrated the defenses of his opposite. The beast attacked with sword and even with a black claw, trying to suck the very light from the elven hero. But after several exchanges, Aethramyr saw his opening, and struck. Shatterspike sliced through the dark figure, and he exploded in a burst of light and shadow.

However the dark cloud had devoured the valley. The robed figure he saw had departed during the battle. Aethramyr could make out the standards still flying – they seemed to be symbols of Pelor but seemed old, as if relics. He tried to restore the valley and take control of the image but he was rebuffed and awakened with a start.

After he told me of this dream, I was silent. It seemed to me that his Lady had shown him the ShadowTaker, as he corrupted the temple where the Light of Reason was enshrined. I have no idea what he fought in the dreaming, or if the events were happening, or had happened long ago. But it seemed to be a very good time to go to the Lendores.

According to the Platinar, the Silverring was expected to be awake on the following day. We decided rather than wait to go to the isles now, and have our discussions with the Mistress of Sleep. It seemed wiser to first have Aethramyr and me go and make sure there would be no problems with the rest of the group – the elves of the Lendores are well known for their isolationism. And so we departed.

There was some . . . difficulty with the teleportation. It was like trying to run through bedsheets hung up to dry. I could sense that Aethramyr had gone on ahead, even though we arrived simultaneously. Whatever barrier was there, either I worked my way through or it allowed me to pass, and we arrived safely in the square.

Of course this caused a commotion. There were some three dozen people scattered about in conversation, some playing music. Upon our arrival, there was some outright panic, but Aethramyr quickly calmed the people down. This was something of a homecoming for him, even though he had never been here. I suspected he would be well respected here and I was not disappointed. They called him The Paragon and were always deeply respectful, but not in a stuffy or officious way. They said that his quarters would be prepared if he wished it, and he thanked them.

Then Hervin, whom we’d landed near, said “I have chosen of myself to take on this duty. Who will offer to help?” A few others also declared they would help, and there was discussion and agreement. It seemed that the Lendores had a communal way of doing things. They indicated a dwelling that was perched up on a cliff, overlooking the ocean. It seemed to be a place of high honor and was just for Aethramyr. They assured Aethramyr it would easily accommodate him and his consort.

Now, if I hadn’t known better, I might have thought I was invisible. The fact that they noticed at all was some comfort I suppose, but despite Aethramyr’s correction, they seemed to have a hard time not just thinking of me as some kind of flunky of the Paragon. Actually this didn’t bother me in the least. This was a very special place, and one that thought very highly of Aethramyr, who certainly deserves it. I wasn’t about to be ruffled by any perceived slights when there was no ill will anywhere on these islands.

When we inquired about the protocols for our friends to join us, it was suggested we speak with someone in the Guild of Sleep, which was quite nearby.

The area was hardly urban in the sense of Dyvers or Greyhawk, but it did reach out quite a ways. The domed buildings stretched out across the area, a few with a second story – a second dome on top of the first. They were all plastered, and colored shell white, or coral pink. Tropical trees dotted the area. But it all seemed somehow… familiar. I had never been here before. And yet somehow I knew this place. And it wasn’t a pleasant, warm feeling, but a disturbing memory.*

We were directed to a tall (comparatively) white marble building that was over the next valley. It was composed of rectangles rather than domes. The doors were wide open but there was nobody roaming around that we could see. Various symbols were carved on the marble, including the elven symbol for stone, which I particularly looked for, and the very prominent half-closed eyelid. As I sifted through the symbols looking, I found myself getting a big dizzy, and let it go. But when I looked at Aethramyr to mention the symbol, I saw it somewhere else – on his forehead. We shrugged at this and moved down to the temple.

On the doors were scenes of tranquil vistas, and tapestries with vision from dreams. As we entered, we saw four iron golems flanking the doors, their metal heads silently swiveling as they stared at us with a single half-closed eyelid on their wrought faces. And then I felt something I never felt before. I felt … sleepy. Aethramyr has told me of sleep but I’ve never really understood it. But I felt a wave of it crash over me as we entered, and I had to shake off this new sensation.

The interior was some hundred feet long and almost as wide, and covered in pillows and small sofas. Dozens of elves were here, all sleeping. In fact, we didn’t notice anyone who was awake at first. But as we moved in, we saw in the back one figure moving among the sleeping elves. He woke up one sleeper with a slap, and forced some water into him, then let him return to sleeping. We were quite close before he noticed us – the entire place seemed quieted somehow, but once he did, he politely introduced himself as the Prime Rouser. Apparently he and his Rousers care for the sleeping elves and makes sure they don’t die while journeying. He bowed deeply to Aethramyr of course.

We inquired of the possibility of speaking to the Guild Mistress but he informed us that she has been asleep, and they have been unable to wake her. Indeed she does not wish to be awakened. This state has gone on for some months and this is of great concern. Apparently she has become somewhat violent when it has been attempted. It was apparent that something was wrong, and that she needed to be roused. Indeed they had one tried and many of the rousers had paid the price. Aethramyr and I debated the idea of trying to wake her but decided it would be better if we had the entire group assembled first. We asked about the difficulties in teleportation and there was indeed a cloak over the isles to help divert unwelcomed guests. The Prime Rouser said that there was a trade area on the northern part of the island where humans and others were permitted. The cloak did not extend there so our friends could teleport there and then move freely.

It took little enough effort and soon we were all assembled and back at the guild. We did see the arrival and departure of a ship of sea elves that did some brief commerce. Lovely creatures but very wary of strangers. The humans of course drew some stares and the people were not very happy with their presence, but the Paragon’s presence carried even greater weight, and there were no objections.

But still I was haunted as I moved through the islands. That same feeling of familiarity. Of a disturbing recollection of being here and being unable to place it. The harder I tried to remember, the more uncomfortable it became.

We proceeded to the inner chambers of the Guild. We were unescorted – there were few formalities in the Lendores. We passed a long corridor with side chambers containing more sleepers in large, jade colored eggs. One had a pair of guards stationed in front but they paid us little mind. We entered another chamber. Inside the entire room was a single frescoe with blue skies and scattered clouds. On the clouds, strange creatures rested napping, and my mind had to stretch to understand how real creatures seemed to be resting on painted clouds. On the far side was another set of doors. In the center of the room floated a human woman in a bright yellow simple dress. Her hair floated out as if she was underwater and sparkling golden motes dotted through her hair. As we entered, she floated closer, shifting shape to a beautiful wood elf.

The sleeping creatures grew restless with our presence. A brief exchange followed between Aethramyr and the woman, who clearly did not want to be awakened. It only took moments before the woman and the creatures were attacking us.

We tried to avoid attacking the woman directly but the creatures were only questionably real anyway and we started removing them from the room. After several blows they would fall apart into a wispy ether. We had the sense that the Guild Mistress was not actually here either and looked to the doors beyond. But there was still magic and a force cage snapped into being around Bolo. The cage also managed to block off the doors, further increasing our suspicion. Scorch disintegrated the doors, then Bolo just shifted to a cat and slipped out the bars into the other room. Four iron golems were in that chamber as well, and began stirring. There was also a large stone bier in the room but I hardly noticed. I threw a dimension door to get me inside to start dealing with the golems, but soon the whole situation changed.

Aethramyr stood before the Mistress, and slapped her soundly across the face, infusing his touch with Sehanine’s power.

“You know who I am. If not, you know who I serve. This is unbecoming of you,” he said.

And then, she blinked. She looked around ever so briefly, then vanished. The iron golems reverted to their guarding postures. And then light began streaming out of the stone bier, and the slab atop it rose up revealing something similar to the egg interiors. On the lip of the chamber a single hand appeared – it was a hideous green and covered in sores, and a night hag soon rose from the chamber. But on the stone around her neck was carved the symbol of Sehanine. Aethramyr helped her from the chamber while I fetched the Rouser to see to her needs, and soon things were much more cordial.

She apologized for her conduct and was quite glad we came. Something or someone had disrupted her dreaming process. She had been trying to investigate more about our enemies and they discovered her and counterattacked. Not many beings have the ability to strike back in the dreaming, but this enemy is one.

When we asked which enemy (as we have so many lately) she said something that left even Scorch dumbfounded.

The enemy was the Shadow King. But the Shadow King is nothing more or less than the shadow of Therizdun himself. Therizdun remains in the dreamcatcher prison that Sehanine, Pelor and Heironious put him in. However the prison does have weaknesses and Therizdun casts a shadow. For such a being, even their shadow has great power. The Shadow King is that shadow.

The prison likely needs to be strengthened. You would need the Theerparts to do this however. But she warned us never to unlock the prison. A warning was hardly required of course.

So the Shadow King is the shadow of Therizdun. I could scarcely grasp the idea and we sat silently taking it in for a bit. Aethramyr turned to me and said “You know how the Shadow King has always managed to keep himself off the top of our ‘list of things to do’? Well he just moved up.” I could only laugh and nod. Aethramyr took out his flask, loaded with something particularly potent, and took a pull. And as far as I’m concerned, if it was good enough for the Paragon, it was good enough for me.

By now the Guild Mistress was feeling a bit better and she shifted to the shape of an elven woman, and we discussed the Theerparts a bit. When last she checked, one was in a protected place she could not see. The omens indicated that the Paragon had it however, which we did. The second was in a city of madness. She wasn’t sure where that was, but it was under the control of powerful undead. As one we all flatly said “Rauxes”. This too we had already heard of. The third part she believed was under Iuz’s control, but he had given it to one of the Greater Bonehart for keeping. She suspected from the visions of cracked shields that it lies within the Shield Lands. We knew from our own divinations that the Red Lord had one of the parts in him, and believe it is he in Rauxes.

Then the Guild Mistress told us of her visions of us. She has had consistent visions of us, walking in circles on a spider’s web. Consistently we have seen the flies, but have never turned inward and seen the spider. But now for the first time we have noticed the spider.

There could be many spiders, but the one we have noticed of late, and hence the key one, was the ShadowTaker. She knows of him, but not a great deal. He does not dream. The Silverring has mentioned him once or twice – a creature of the old world. It is said he could capture the souls of the living and eath them. Apparently through his skill in binding souls, he helped to create the binders. Great power indeed.

This brought us to the Silverring, who we had also come to see. The Guild Mistress said that the same thing that kept her sleeping was also keeping the old dragon asleep as well. With her awake, he too should be rousing soon. At this point I threw a shoe, as my father used to say about the horses. “But we came here today specifically because we were told the Silverring would be waking. The Platinar told me so.”

The dreamer shrugged “The Platinar likely did a divination which said the Silverring would be waking tomorrow. And thanks to you he will.”

“But if we hadn’t been told he would be waking, we wouldn’t have come. How can…”

Scorch reached over and put a hand on my shoulder, saying “Such is the nature of the divinity. If you really want the explanation I can give it to you.” He said the last with his school-teacher voice, making it clear that while he could explain it, I probably didn’t want to know. Valanthe also seemed puzzled by the paradox, but the rest of the group simply accepted it. I knew enough at least to let it go, and we went on.

Since we had discussed everything else, I couldn’t help but ask. “I cannot shake a feeling I have had since I arrived here. I have never before been to these lands, and yet they seem somehow familiar. I cannot recall why, and I’m chilled by a dark feeling any time I try to see through the veil. Could you tell me why this is?”

The dreamer looked closely at me, saying “I am not sure why you have these feelings, but when I am rested we can look further into it. I can guide you on a meditation to find your answer.” I was very grateful for this, and at least for the time being could put it out of my mind.

A feast was held in Aethramyr’s honor that night. It was both respectful and yet fun and social at the same time. It was a first hand look at the high esteem in which they held Aethramyr and it gave me great joy to see it. So often are the vile revered that it was a true delight to see honors paid to someone who deserved them more than any I’d met. There was music and dancing aplenty, and I had a wonderful time personally. There were no less than three dozen women (I counted) and no small number of men all vying for an opportunity to get to know the Paragon in a more intimate manner, but I avoided taking notice of how many, if any, succeeded. I do recall Bolo at dinner making a comment that it was too bad he was a paladin, and all I could do was smile and laugh. “And who told you all paladins were chaste?” I asked him, and he just flushed a little then started laughing himself.

During the celebrations, one of the respected elves (there were no leaders per se, just those who’s voice carried weight) showed Aethramyr and I a cave. Inside, he said, the Silverring sleeps but they do not disturb him. I debated going up and waking him for the feast, but thought better of it.

All in all, a wonderful evening.

Most of the natives didn’t get up until well after dawn. Personally I saw no reason to rush myself. But after a time, we were informed that the Silverring had roused and we met with him at the Guild hall. We sat down and got straight to business. Since the Silverring had already heard from Lord Gelban, we went on to the ShadowTaker.

The Silverring told us that before he had taken that name, he was much more cautious. He also verifed that indeed he had been a critical architect in the construction of the binders.

The light of lust shone in Scorch’s eyes at that. He piped up “But he has plans and such for making binders?” The Silverring just sighed and patronizingly said “I’m glad to see that your experiences have only changed you so much Scorch,” and went on.

The Silverring had actually met the ShadowTaker once, back when he warned the Sule and Bakluni that their magic was getting out of control. The ShadowTaker was a master of bindings, of takings, and of control. He made puppets of people. He was one of the first specialists, back when humans had only just learned to exceed the elves in some ways. There were some matters that the elves were wise enough not to explore after all. The ShadowTaker sought to enhance the magic he wielded and offered his services to the Sule. He taught them much of bindings and helped build the binders. He also schemed to twist the original contract. The Princes were not originally to be bound for so long, but thanks to a twist in wording or a hidden clause, they are now effectively bound forever. Those who knew of the contrcts no longer exist unfortunately so there is no ready way to learn more of them.

The Silverring believes the ShadowTaker has acted directly in the Flaness, but as near as he knows has never left his stronghold. He has spent centuries burying himself so he cannot be found, and has tried to keep it so nobody knows enough about him to seek him out. He has operated actively for the last 200 years in some capacity. Indeed it says something interesting that we have learned of him and something of his involvement, but I’m not entirely sure what. It may say something of our power, or our keen eye, or research, or perhaps of the ShadowTaker being sloppy. Or perhaps, I’m forced to wonder, he’s allowed us a glimpse in order to somehow manipulate or destroy us.

An image was building up in my mind of the ShadowTaker. Based on all that we had heard, it seemed he was able to capture someone’s soul, and then later use that soul to impersonate them in some way. I was unsure if he could command the soul to act or had to control it himself, but he definitely seemed to have some ability to control souls he had taken.

Once the conversation was over, the Mistress and I turned our attention to the subject of why this place seemed familiar to me. Aethramyr stayed to help, and the Mistress began guiding me through a waking dream which she and Aethramyr shared. The memories became more solid, and the vision became more clear. I can recall the memory directly of being here. More disturibing was the “when”. I, or at least my spirit, was here when I died. Why had I not ascended to a higher plane? The Mistress said “This is most unusual. This was given to you as a vision. It was given to you. By someone.” She concentrated trying to penetrate the veil. “The vision was given to you by…”

“That would be me.” We snapped to full consciousness with a start. The voice came from behind me, from an elf, leaning against one of the iron golems, who were completely inert. Where his face was, there was a mask. Half was white and smiling, while the other half was black, and sad.

Olidamarra.

(This is the second time the group, specifically Kayleigh, has encountered Olidamarra. You can read it here in A Well Earned Rest - Chapter 2 The link might take you straight there or might not - it's not always working.)

* Note for Story Hour Readers: Kayleigh died in Nightfang spire, the first of the group to fall. While she was dead she had an unusual experience. Unfortunately that experience was never published to the story hour and never appeared in Kayeligh’s journal, since she forgot it when she was returned from the dead. Fortunately I did record it in my own notes, and here it is:

I found myself in a strange place. It was hardly a village – the buildings were all small squat things. And the ocean was somewhere nearby. The buildings were made of some type of solid sand it seemed. It was nothing like I had ever seen but it was definitely elven construction. I saw a number of figures moving about but none seemed to pay any attention to me. Many had a medallion with a strange symbol on it.

It was then I realized I was floating off the ground a bit. Oddly, this didn’t concern me.

I was also slightly dizzy, as if having had something to drink. Upon realizing this I decided that having something to drink might be just the thing and looked for an appropriate venue. I saw one rather quickly but was unable to pass through the outer wall. Another patron walked up and the sand seemed to just melt away just before they reached the wall and reform behind them.

I managed to haul myself in through a window, and it was certainly a bar. However it was at that point I realized that since no one seemed to see me, getting service would be problematic, and I hauled myself out the same window.

Having little else to do, I looked for any kind of major structure or religious center. I already had the feeling I was somewhere in the Lendore Isles and the vague tickle of my memory about far off elven lands and worshippers of Sehanine (or was it another deity?) nagged at me.

I spotted a rather major structure with little effort. Inside I found several men in brown robes standing before a swirling vortex of blue energy. I was unsure if these men would have any greater awareness of me than anyone else, but it seemed not. They were unresponsive to my words. I tried to touch one and had an impact but less than I should have. He seemed to notice this but blamed it on some Brother playing tricks on him.

However this all came to a halt as an elf in full plate emerged from the portal. He looked very confused as to where he was. The men began speaking with him. I personally was more interested in the vortex of energy. I started to move towards it but then felt a tugging behind me. I ignored it for the moment and moved closer to the vortex but the tugging grew stronger.

I knew in my heart (or lack thereof) what it was. I was gradually realizing I was dead. However this was hardly what I imagined the afterlife to be. I debated resisting the pull briefly. But I resigned myself to it and gave in, and the world flew by me so fast I could scarcely see it.

And I awoke to a gigantic furry face not an inch from my own. As my soul settled into my body I could feel Rasha again and with that his relief and warmth to have me back. And his raspy tongue on my cheek. When I could finally see around him rubbing against me, I saw Dravot and another cleric standing over me, and Scorch nearby. Dravot seemed relieved I had decided to come back.

I moved to sit up, but quickly regretted it. Dravot said something about still being weak after the ordeal and healed my body but I was still exhausted. The clerics of Pelor returned me to my apartment in the moon tower at the estate, under Dravot’s supervision. The visions I saw while dead were suddenly cloudy and fading. [OOC Note: In character I can’t remember it well but I’m leaving in the journal for historical purposes.]

Tantra

First Post
Lendore Isles.

No place has ever really felt like home, but this came close. Even in the bright daylight on the Lendores, Her power is strong, almost a tangible thing. Kayleigh said That there was a Curtain, slowing her arrival from the teleport, but I felt drawn here. Odd as it seems, I had the vaguest sense of arriving before her.

Normally we cause a lot of commotion when we arrive after a teleport, and this was no exception. Once the initial shock wore off, someone shouted "The Paragon" and things quieted down. I can appriciate how Dravot feels, going home, when it seems like you are suddenly the most important person around. I never had a taste for that kind of adulation...well, that much adulation. Every once in a while, I am blatantly reminded of my elven heritage.

We speak with Harvin, and get directions on how get to the Guild of Sleep. He also promises to prepare the quarters that have been set aside for me and my companions. The language seems someone stilted and almost ritualized, but upon reflection, it's also very egaltarian. He volenteered for the duty, along with several others. It was never assigned to anyone, and anyone who wanted assist were free to accept the duty. It was amusing that he assumed Kayleigh was my consort, and we shared a private laugh on the scales before telling him the truth.
We found the guild of sleep, and Kayleigh and I managed to secure permission for the rest of our friends to arrive.

One of the things we learned from the Prime Rouser was that the Headmistress of the guild was trapped in the dreaming. I felt having our full group together, with all our insights and specialties, would stand a better chance of waking her. The stares as we walked back from the docks, where they could arrive, were few, but still present.

We arrived back at the guild, and set about exploring, trying to find the Guildmistress. there were several Elves completly asleep, not in trance, which was interesting. There was an air about this place that seemed to promote sleep, but it was the furthest thing from our minds at the moment. A nother room contained several sleepers in large, jade colored eggs, until we came to the room With the Guild Mistress.

Or, at least, her Dream-self. Her, as a Human women, and several other Dreams of animals with tiny wings, were in the room. A brief exchange told what we needed to know: That she did not want to be wakened, and she was getting more agitated at our presense. This didn't seem right for this place, and I thought that we would be best by withdrawing to the outter rooms and then trying to find the dreamer. Scorch had the exact same idea, but without the "Withdrawing to the outter room" part, and started to scry her. This enraged the Dream-woman, who had transformed to an elven woman now, and she and the other dream-creatures attacked.

This I wasn't in the mood for. This is supposed to be a safe haven, dedicated to Sehanine Moonbow, and attacking my friends was not just apalling, but personally embaressing to me. My anger rose, and the dream creatures attacking us were a good direction to release some of it. A strike by these creatures caused me to lose some of my mental focus, which only served to further rise my anger, and after watching 2 golems nearly flatten Bolo, that anger needed focus. The creatures had been dispatched, leaving only the Dream-representative of the Guild leader, and with a Slap accross her face, infused with My Lady's Power, I hissed, "You know who I am, and if not, who I serve. Attacking me, here, is Unbecomming of YOU!"

The Dream image stepped back, and with a sudden look of Horror and recognition, winked out. The Iron Golems in the next room ceased there assault on the Cat-shapped bolo, and calm returned. I composed myself, asked one of my companions to get the prime rouser, and proceeded to finally meet the real guild mistress.

She thanked us, as it seems she was unable to Leave Sehanine's lands on her own, and had been trapped there for some weeks. She explained who the Shadow King was, And that he was the actual shadow of Theruzden, given life. She also gave us insight as to the nature of the shadow taker. I did ask one favor of her, when we had a moment. Since she is powerful enough to bring dream essence here, I asked for what scorch called a "Dimensional Focus" for the Dreaming. I'm not sure how much he knows of the Dimension of dreams, but I do know of it's dangers, so I've not told him I have it yet.

She also said that what we did would allow the Silvering to awaken tommorow, wich was odd because we only came because we were told he would awaken tommorow. The logic of the divinations was bewildering, and scorches explanations did little to help.

What did help was the Feast held in my honor. I have always enjoyed Elven celebrations, and this was no exception. I agreeded with Kayleigh that Dancing is much more entertaining with other elves who know how to dance. Valenthe seemed to be more entertained by my discomfort at having to keep the peace between the pretty maidens competing for my attention than with the rest of the proceedings, but I don't think there were the three dozen that Kayleigh Claimed. Logically, if there were that many, they could not have all been as beautiful as they were. And if my bed was warmer that night despite the ocean breeze, well, as Kayleigh asked Scorch "...who told you all paladins were chaste?”

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
The Islands were breath taking. I had never been to an Island like this before. The animals and plants were new and different. I saw Dolphins playing off the coast and decided to join them I almost never get to use my aquatic forms so this was a pleasure I intended to enjoy all day. Perhaps I was just a little hurt by the Elves on the Island. I have grown used to Kayleigh telling me I'm "just a polymorphed Halfling" but the Elves here could tell I was different. it was "the way he walked" in the beginning but I heard them whispering among themselves. I needed to get away from people for a while. The Dolphins were most accepting of me.

While we were swimming and leaping above the waves I saw a ship emurge from the waters at the islands docks. The ship just sailed up from the bottom of the ocean and docked. It was a Sea Elf vessel and I was most interested in meeting them. I could maybe learn some of their magics of find if they had a member of the Old Religion with them. but they were gone before I could reach them.

I fear I'm just a being without a race anymore. Maybe I should just stay with the dolphins.

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the Shadow Taker Chapter 1.5

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 1.5

The Laughing Rogue struck his finger against the inert golem, igniting it like a tindertwig. His other hand produced a long and twisted pipe from out of nowhere, which he proceeded to light. He placed it against his signature mask, which moves as if it were his true face...and perhaps it is. Placing it into his mouth, he took a long draw, and then breathed out a strange shape of smoke, like some multi-legged dragon which hung for a moment in the air before it dissipated. He sauntered over in my direction, his movements echoed by some distant sound of jester's bells and clinking cups.

"Love what you've done with the place, Marssis," he said, admiring the Dreamer's chambers. "Not haggy at all. A tad innocent for my tastes, though it certainly more fun than most of this drab place. I mean, could Moonbow have drained more fun out of the place and not made you all goblins?"

He turns around and regarded me and the Dreamer with a twisted smirk. "But hey, enough about you! Let's talk about me! It's my favorite subject! We both know you were about to do some silly commune or something, and I don't have time to dicker around with all that nonsense. Makes my head itch, and it's much harder to appreciate spirits that way. Speaking of which, if you folk don't start leaving me my due at the feast table, there's going to be a lot more turned wine around here."

"So, what do you want to know, kid?"

A look of dread had flashed across my face when I turned and saw him, but by now it had been replaced with a slight smirk, mixed with curiousity and amusement. This was partly because I was amused, and partly because I was quite sure I wouldn’t get anywhere if I wasn’t ready to appreciate the joke. "So why would the Laughing Rogue want to detour the soul of a simple little elf girl when she died?" I blinked a bit to add extra innocence.

"Simple little elf girl? You mean YOU? HA! Never kid a kidder, sweetheart. Last time I checked, simple little elf girls didn't drop six elementals with one bow draw. Never mind the fairy tale 'princey' stuff. I won't even get into the extra-planar adventures."

I just blinked a bit more as if to say “Who me?” He drew on the pipe again, this time releasing several shapes that resembled the binders.

"Why'd I send you here? Why not? Hah! Just kidding. I needed you here so I could get you...situated. Attuned, you might say. I knew you'd find the testing portal eventually...but even I was amazed when you just stumbled into it. I figured you'd be there for days soaking up the rays...but no, you get the energy all in one shot. Then, before I can do anything else, Pelor gets his hooks into you, and reads me the riot act. Gramps is a pain, that's for sure."

My brow wrinkled a moment, still wrestling with these new memories. "Why would you want me attuned, and attuned to what? The testing portal? That blue vortex? I never even got to touch it - at least I don't think I did. What energy, and what was it supposed to do?"

"Attuned to the Lendores, and these 'cheery' folk. The vortex does their little off-world testing and then spits 'em up here. You get close enough, if you're an elf, and it 'energizes' you. Makes you much easier to keep track of. And other things. And I needed a way out, sister. Thanks to you, I got one. Don't think I'm not grateful, mind you. But you haven't liked my gratitude so far, so I figured I'd give you a break."

Then I took a breath and asked what I suppose was more on my mind. With something of a smile "What precisely is your interest in me?"

"Interest in you, sugarlump? Zip. Zilch. Nothing. My interest is in much bigger things. Messing up other people's plans, throwing wrenches in the works, that sort of thing. You're just another means to an end. And since I already had my hooks into you, what with the whole 'bonding' thing...it was an easy choice."

"What bonding?" I started. Then I stopped and sighed. I realized then that it wasn’t going to be enough to just ask what I wanted to know, even if I could figure it out. A being like Olidamarra would answer without really explaining. If I was going to learn anything much, I’d need to coax out the answers. To do that, I needed to think a little more like he did. The joke was clearly the thing with him. But it’s not funny if nobody else knows enough to laugh. "I'm sure you have no end of amusements in mind to disrupt people's schemes. But I'm no less puzzled than when we began, and I'm sure that's quite by design. However you did bother to come here, and I'd guess that you have two purposes in doing so - to explain, and to gloat a bit. Of course without the explanation, I can't even begin to appreciate the depths of your wit and cunning, being nowhere near as sly as the trickster himself. Perhaps you can enlighten me so that I can appreciate the depths and genius of your plans?” There was only the tiniest hint of sarcasm in my voice, just to show I wasn’t taking myself completely seriously.

"Well, my dear, I used you for a free ride. I needed out of that prison, and you were the only thing going. And let's not forget, you came into my cage, not the other way around. Plus, you have to understand, I'm no more Olidammara than you are the whole of the elven people. I'm a piece, a part, a sliver...you follow me, here? Even I don't know what I'm on about, half the time."

“That makes two of us” I thought.

"Look, it's simple. After I'd been tagging along with you for a while, I figured certain things out. You folks were going places. Still are. So you wanna know why I brought you here? I already told you, I was still bonded to your soul. I latched onto you, but I couldn't break free...not without destroying you, and maybe getting pulled back into the prison. So when you...ah, decided to get a 'mummy-manicure', I took advantage of the situation. I knew you could be drawn to the Lendores, if I pushed things a bit. And I knew they had a direct connection both to your pal’s goddess and the eldritch energies herein. A no-brainer."

"Since then, I've been looking out for you, occasionally. You remember the gnolls? That was me. Remember when you thought your ran into the Silvering in Dyvers, on your way to Brindinford? I made it happen, sweetums. Those visions about Rauxes? I think you're getting the pattern, here. I’ve been helping you left and right. I mean, did you really think you could break a major binder by just doing some crazy stuff for old Ral'? Crazier than a
bedbug, that one. 'Course, he got his meathooks in your sneaky friend, or I'd used her instead. She's my kinda gal."

He had a pretty solid point there about the binder. But he went on, clearly warming to the topic.

"That's why I kicked your butt into high gear. You want to know what triggered your little archer's nock? Go ahead, guess, I got time. Who do you think kept your puppy-eyed love alive on the way back? You got time, I got plenty more.

"Now, before you spout out more elfy-flattery, I'll tell you the why, up front. Because I like to mess with other people's plans. Because I have my own plans, and you folks are a part of 'em. And because it's really more
fun for me than you can imagine."

I stopped a moment, digesting what I’d heard. I took a sip from a nearby wine glass that was supposed to be for after the meditation. I said aloud, mostly for myself "So thanks to us, you've gotten a get-out-of-jail free card for a fraction of yourself, and the endless amusement of being able to muck about in the plans of all sorts of beings, from mortal to fiendish. And now that I've been drawn back to the Lendores, you can break free from the bond and find even more amusing trouble to get in to. Meanwhile for the time you've been carried along, you've watched over me and us, helped in several key ways, unlocked my talents, kept my . . . prince alive…” I paused, deliberately avoiding calling him a puppy “… and out of too hideously much trouble, and so on."

He just nodded and grinned a bit so I went on. "So happens what now? You continue to keep an eye on us as a venue to further your amusements? Not that I have a particular problem with that at all – mostly just wondering" And I was mostly just wondering. I confess that after the first encounter I had dreaded every seeing Olidamarra again, but I had been through a lot since then, and the actual reality of it was far less disturbing than I might have expected.

He stood up excitedly. "Well, now, that's the beauty of it, buttercup! I have no idea! I'm thinking of scuppering off to Iuz's backyard for a day or two, set some fires. Then I'll go put a bug up Cuthbert's nose. Big nose...so I guess it'll have to be a big bug. Ladybug, maybe. Butterfly's good, too. Folks think they're real cute...until they see it's face up close when it's five feet high. Then it scare the Murlynd right out of them."

He had the most amusing way of going off on tangents.

"Maybe I'll make some changes to Castle Greyhawk. Or not. I never know where the wind 'll take me. Mucking in your affairs though, probably not. You've got your own dates to keep, and thanks to you, the dragons are in a
right tizzy. Good and Bad ones! Couldn't ask for a finer kettle of fish, really. So you can see why I felt justified in choosing you. You're chaos in a bottle. And I mean that in a nice way, you understand."

I bowed my head to the side and raised my glass in thanks for the compliment. Olidimarra is praising my mucking about in people’s plans? High praise indeed.

"So I figure in a minute or two I'll start time working again, so your little sleepy-head friend here can move and speak again, and then I'll be on my merry little way." As he said that I noticed the Dreamer Prime hadn’t just been quiet but she was in fact motionless and inactive. "So you need anything else, silly little elf girl?"

I mused for a moment. "I suppose not. Although now that I know you've been along for the ride all this time, I suppose I will miss it a bit"

Then I stopped short with a new thought. "Oh wait. I suppose there is one other thing - you said I didn't like your
gratitude. Probably right. At least now I ca n appreciate it. So for your help all these times - thank you." Again I gave him a nod and toast. "Perhaps you'll stop in now and again so I can hear what new schemes you've been up to?" Frankly I couldn’t imagine anything more amusing than listening to the latest antics of Olidimarra from the rogue himself. Sounded like the perfect thing when the seriousness of the world was becoming too much.

He took an overly showy bow, not quite comic, but definitely not too serious. "Two words, m'dear. Bad Copper. They say that's what I'm like."

So saying, he tossed me a small copper coin with his symbol upon it. He then drew deep on his pipe. Then deeper. Deeper still...until he sucked himself into his pipe, and his pipe (an intricate piece of bone-work with a
grinning gnoll at the end) fell to floor, extinguished. And he was gone.

I picked up the pipe from where it fell, and said quietly to it “If you enjoyed the dragons, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the ShadowTaker adventure.” And with a smile I tucked away the pipe and the coin, just as time lurched into motion again. Nowhere near as bad as I might have imagined. Not at all.

In fact, I found myself somewhat looking forward to the next time.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 3

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 3

OOC Notes:
Exp is 5400

This Week’s Adventure:
The world suddenly sped up around me, and the Dreamer Prime looked up with a start, seeing that I had moved from where I was and was now holding a glass of wine.

I thanked her deeply for her help. It was much more… enlightening than I had expected. Apparently my memories of this place stem from while I was dead, and the reason I was here was due to Olidamarra. The playfulness of the rogue must have worn off on me a bit, and I said “He specifically complimented you on this place. He said ‘Love what you’ve done with the place Marssis. Not at all haggy’.”

The Dreamer Prime just looked back at me with a blank, confused stare. I shrugged. “I don’t understand how or why these things always seem to happen, but they do. I’m getting used to it finally.”

By now there was a commotion outside, and I raised my glass as if it proved my point. We went to see what the fuss was, and apparently it was about Valanthe. Over the last while, her skin had been turning progressively black. It was something like how the earth symbol was manifesting on Aethramyr’s forehead – something about this place. She didn't look quite like a drow, but she could probably pass for one in a bad light. Her skin seemed to absorb light, somehow, and her eyes have changed color to a silver/grey, as she looked more like her shadows than anything else. We just ignored it and made preparations to depart. Before we did however, Dravot revealed some interesting information. He had communed with Pelor, and one of his questions was whether Zera/Zara was an agent of the ShadowTaker. The reply: Unclear.

I admit the same thought had gone through my mind. If the ShadowTaker uses people like puppets, then it’s hard to be sure of anyone, especially those who have encountered him. This seemed to be a case where being aware of the danger was the best that could be done; we would need their help to find the crypt, and they would be quite put out if we went without them. So with an even firmer commitment to be on our guard, we teleported to Brindinford to retrieve them, and the next day went to Ekbir.

The disturbing part was that while the mark on Aethramyr's forehead was slowly fading, Valanthe's appearance stayed the same.

We decided to avoid the cities, to maximize our potential for surprise. There was little we would learn there without drawing attention to ourselves anyway. We landed on a stretch of road that we had traveled during our initial journey to the Land of Black Ice, and wind walked over the grasslands in the direction of the rivers.

Over the next hour we descended gradually and came to the Blashikmund river. On the far side the terrain became denser, with a great many rock outcroppings, some forming foothills. The rocks were large chunks of pyrite. Scorch commented that it was unusual to see such large natural chunks, but they had been here for some time and he theorized that it had something to do with the fallout from the Rain of Colorless Fire. We continued moving westward and saw larger and larger pieces. Zera indicated that according to some records that her and her brother had studied, the rocks had not always been here.

Soon we were in the correct general area. However the landscape looked nothing like Aethramyr’s vision. Of course we didn’t really think it would be easy to find, and began looking about for some kind of illusion or concealment. Bolo was looking out over the terrain attempting to find any irregularities, and he suddenly felt a splitting pain between his eyes and it took him a minute to shake it off. I was looking about for the telltale signs of an illusion, carefully scanning the rivers, and I felt the same thing. Fortunately there were no further ill effects for either of us.

Dravot decided to cut the Gordian knot, and cast a True Seeing. The deception was soon revealed in Pelor’s light. The river had been reworked such that the rivers met once, then split and then met again. In this middle area, there was more than just an illusion but a warping of space that concealed this pocket such that an aggressor could walk around for ages and never know how close they were. The temple backed against the wall of a hill, and looked passingly like what Aethramyr had seen. Clearly time and the ShadowTaker had changed a great deal. There were a series of pyrite columns arrayed before the temple, no doubt forming something of the defense, and on the hillside into which the temple was built, there was a coating of pyrite, as if rocks had been placed there and fused together. Scorch confirmed that generally pyrite has no magical properties, but the ShadowTaker must know something else, as it seemed that he went to a lot of trouble in doing this.

The temple itself looked more like sandstone than marble now, but the cupola still stood on top with its oddly slanted stained glass windows. (Dravot said that lying along the river, such temples also often served as lighthouses.) We prepared for a fight and advanced carefully.

Valanthe and I were the first to pick up the scent of electricity and to feel an odd thrumming in the air. We could make out a shape, that wasn’t anything in itself but more defined by the small arcs of electricity that shot up and down the form. It seemed vaguely draconic but with many legs, and it darted quickly through the air diving at us. As it shot forward, to one side we made out another. This one had no electricity but was more like a ripple in the air. Considerably less subtle was one that rose from the ground without disturbing it. It was like a massive dragon but with ten or twelve legs and seemed made of or coated with pyrite. With a splash, another one emerged from the river with a squeal, flowing as much as it was walking. They had huge mouths and the spark of cunning in their eyes.

Four beasts. One of earth, one of water, one of lightning, and one of what I supposed was sonic energy. Impressive. I looked about for a fire beast but saw none. I decided now was a good time to try out that new mirror image spell, and I couldn’t have been more right.

The electrical one shot forward at amazing speed and in a single motion, swallwed Aethramyr. To my right, the sonic monster ate Scorch the same way. The earth beast, rather than eating Thorkeld, merely snatched him its serpentine neck. Immediately, things were not looking good.

In another flash, the lightning monster ate Dravot, while the sonic one let loose a screeching weapon. Things were moving by in a fast blur and rapidly getting worse. I opened fire on the closing water dragon, hoping that the fire arrows would hurt it more. The shots were solid, and it gushed a bright red blood, but it was still charging fast. But leave it to Scorch. He decided that while he remove himself from the beast, it would be easier to just remove the beast and promptly put the sonic monster in the maze.

Valanthe had leapt up and landed on the back of the stone monster and slammed a flask of acid on it, and the beast let out a screech and dropped Thorkeld. It turned around and proceeded to swallow Valanthe. I was sure it’d have a hard time holding her though. The water beast snapped at me, but it only caught one of my images, and I uttered a silent thanks for that. Valanthe’s shadows came up along side the watery one, and started sapping the strength from it.

Inside the electrical beast, Aethramyr and Dravot seemed to be doing a fair bit of harm, as the monster was twitching and writhing in the air. Likely more than the thing had bargained for. But there was still something disturbingly wrong with the battle, and I had a great sense of unease. But I suddenly realized what was wrong – Bolo had not yet been swallowed whole.

The situation was immediately corrected however, and Bolo found himself inside the belly of the lightning beast with Aethramyr and Dravot.

The situation was dangerous. I was trying to hold off the water beast with only the shadows to help, Dravot, Bolo, and Aethramyr were inside the lightning beast, and Valanthe, Thorkeld and Zera were trading blows with the earth one. At least we had some time til the sonic one returned. We were thinly spread out and these were massive creatures. But we started gaining ground.

I let loose a full volley at point blank range, and the water beast sprayed blood and watery fluid everywhere and collapsed. Valanthe dumped more stonebreaker acid on the earth monster, then Scorch got a hold monster onto it and Zera killed it. The electrical one was finding that its lunch was still very dangerous – the churning acid was painful, but Dravot’s Mass Heal kept them all in fighting form inside. The monster snapped at me but another image winked out. (By then I was down to only one image left but it had served well.) Then suddenly the thing burst open as Shatterspike sliced through the side in three deep cuts and the thing just dropped onto the ground dead.

We had a few moments to heal before the last one was expected to return from the maze and then took positions around where it had winked out. When it reappeared, its life was frighteningly short, and even the unharmed thing was not able to stand the full onslaught of our party, and it was quickly killed.

Scorch looked at them for a bit and decided they were some kind of modified behirs. Imbedded in the skull of each was a piece of vitaesis. But when Valanthe examined them, it didn’t seem to react to her own crystal nor did they react to each other. This seemed rather odd. They almost seemed dormant or suppressed. We checked them quickly and then moved towards the temple.

We explored the exterior of the temple. The stone wall of the hillside looked like large chunks of pyrite had been placed there and then fused into place. The temple was sealed except the main entrance. At points in the mortar, we could make out human bones that had been turned into stone to strengthen the structure. The entire place radiated a dull magic aura as did the pillars. We tried briefly to go through a side wall but the sandstone quickly gave way to a force wall concealed underneath. No doubt the original temple marble lies under that.

I was looking at the cupola above but I suspected that the entrance would be as well warded as the front door. The stained glass had images of various saints of Pelor and solars and the like. We decided that despite our usual hatred of going in the front door, perhaps it was time we did just that.

The doorway was open – there were once mighty doors but they no longer hung on their hinges. The chamber beyond stretched into the darkness ahead, and reached just as high. The floor seemed coated with a yellow dust similar to the sandstone. But it didn’t sit right with Valanthe and Bolo, and they concluded it was indeed yellow mold. Bolo called on the power of the green, and the mold blanched and turned a whitish grey, and was inert.

Valanthe was the only one who had actually entered so far. Besides the mold she also noticed a lot of broken stained glass on the floor. As she crept quietly in the middle of the chamber examining it, the glass in the cupola above shattered loudly, raining more glass down on her. She quickly rolled backwards out of the way and the glass hit only the floor. She then continued carefully checking the room. There were two small iron doors on the far side, as well as two moderately concealed secret passages. But she was developing the distinct feeling of being watched. When she looked up, she saw clinging to the ceiling some blue-haired creatures. They resmbled goblins but with leonine features. Barghest. Some of them sank into the very shadows themselves, and Valanthe was sure that they were shadow dancers.

And they were moving closer.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads