Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizarDru

Adventurer
DM Math: 100' move + Spring Attack + Swallow Whole = lots o' gulpins.

Luckily, Bolo got eaten twice, so the status quo was restored.

For those who care, go to our Rogue's Gallery thread, and you can see the stats for Bzzzt, the electric Behir from Hell. His stats aren't quite 100% correct to what was actually used, but close. His partners were all the same, but with a different element selected.

Minor details to add: Valanthe was using Stonebreaker Acid, from A&EG. Bolo was in an elemental Wildshape, when swallowed. The combat required two mass heals...and Aethramyr actually opted to NOT free himself, when it became obvious the others would remain trapped (although Bolo would probably be able to escape on his own), he'd miss out on a Mass Heal...and he was doing more damage on the inside than the out. :D

Most amusing moment:

Kayleigh: OK, does anyone need to cast any buffs before we go in?

Scorch: Not yet...I'll wait 'til we get closer to a combat. Once we get inside, maybe.

DM: Grrr. Argh! Evil bad nastiness!

Bzzzzt Gulps first PC.

Aethramyr: Uhmm. OK.

Vvvvvt gulps second PC.

Scorch: Damn. I should have buffed. I'm not in grig form.

Kayleigh: [Slaps forehead] What did I just say?

:D

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
Zad's notes for the behir combat were pretty much spot on:

Round 1:

Behir eats Aethramyr.
Behir eats Scorch.

Round 2:

Behir eats Dravot.
Behir eats Valanthe.
Behir tries to eat Kayleigh

Round 3:
Behir eats Bolo.

Round 4:

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the ShadowTaker Chapter 4

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 4

OOC Notes:
Exp is 3000.

Loot:
One gem worth 10,000gp (with trap the soul or something on it)
500gp
One burnt-out psicrystal, the owner being dead
+3 lightning axe (market 32,300gp)
+4 full plate (market 17,650gp)

This Week’s Adventure:
(Note that there was a minor error in the last story/session, and Valanthe had not noticed the creatures skulking around. She thought she saw something then said it was nothing due to some kind of mind-affecting spell.)

While Valanthe was carefully scouting the interior of the chamber, a sudden vibration moved through the air. It came from an upper corner inside the temple near us, and came through the wall at us. It washed over the group but we were all able to fight off the mental pressure. Obviously something else was in there. Valanthe turned and used a shadowblast scroll at something on the ceiling and the battle began.

I moved into the room but couldn’t immediately see our attacker, so rather than look I opted for something defensive and used a mirror image. Then streaking out of the door came a fireball. It headed straight for Dravot but something was wrong. Thanks to Scorch, we’ve all seen more than our share of fireballs, and this one looked . . . cheesy. It just didn’t seem credible and it washed over us, barely doing anything. Out of the darkness I could hear spellcasting, and recognized the words of a mass haste, but it wasn’t Scorch casting it. Then a second spell tried to dominate me but I wasn’t about to let that happen after Aeoket, and I shrugged it off.

Bolo moved into the doorway and let loose a creeping doom but another caster was ready and counterspelled it. Of course that just meant that Scorch had a free field of fire and I remember musing how someone had made a poor choice. Dravot put a Daylight spell on his shield and entered the room and our foes were now clearly revealed. There were several leonine goblins attacking. They each seemed quite distinct, varying in their patterns and attire. One was in full plate with an axe crackling with lightning. Two were casters of some kind, and we knew there was one psionic in the bunch.

Not one to let a haste go unanswered, Scorch let off his own mass haste, and then turned and disintegrated one of the beasts. As the green ray washed over him and his body evaporated, a red line of light ripped his soul through the back wall of the temple and away. The other barghests howled in outrage and yelled “The bargain must be kept!” and fixed their gaze on Scorch, who wisely blanched.

Valanthe was dancing back and forth with one of the creatures on the ceiling, also a shadowdancer. The psionic one moved towards me and reached out with an acid soaked claw for my bow, but only found a mirror image. I just clucked and shook my head, and let a full volley of arrows into him. At first he didn’t flinch – there was some kind of oily dark slick moving over parts of his body. But when the arrows started tearing through him, he started howling. To follow it up, I thought it would be a good time for a hail of arrows, and it was.

Below me, the axe wielder was pressing hard on Zera and Dravot as fierce blows were exchanged. The plate clad thing had taken a solid stance and it seemed clear he wasn’t moving. I thought such a fixed position was unwise and I was sure he’d learn why soon enough. Meanwhile Bolo (still in the form of an earth elemental) smashed the psion and his soul too was ripped away at the moment of death. The others screamed again, and it seemed that the pain was not merely one of loss.

Aethramyr had moved towards the sorcerer, and tore into him with Shatterspike, nearly killing him. The sorcerer wasted no time in teleporting away from the fight after that. Meanwhile Scorch had one outside who had come to attack him and he dumped several spells on him after Bolo’s riding dog had knocked the creature to the ground. Regretably he was able to teleport out before Scorch could finish him. In the corner, Zera was badly wounded but Dravot got close enough to heal her and things started looking better there. As the other barghests fell, the defender was the last one left, locked in his stance. Dravot smashed his hammer through the creature’s armor, and Bolo finished him off. His soul was ripped out like the others but seemed the most stubborn, and was thrown against the walls a few times before being drawn off by whatever force held it.

The barghests had little of value on those that we had killed. One had a very expensive gem, but it had a slight touch of evil, and it tried to bind Scorch’s soul when he looked at it. (Whether he failed to qualify is another matter entirely and I shant debate it here.)

There were several doors and concealed doors leading from this area, and we had no idea which way to start. Zera had a vague recollection of going down one passage, then backtracking to another. Of course there was one clue – the souls were all drawn through the back wall, so that’s the way we went.

At this point the gentle reader is invited to join the gaming group in adopting their best munchkin voice and singing along….

Follow the trail of red souls
Follow the trail of red souls
Follow follow follow follow follow the trail of red souls!

If ever a wonderful lich there was, the ShadowTaker is one because
Because because because because because
Because of the hideous things he does!
La la la la la la la la la

Et cetera.

We moved through some heavily trapped passages carefully but not without mishap. Among several more mundane pit traps was one that shrunk the victim and passed them through a small hole and then re-grew them in time for the crushing walls to start. Aethramyr and I were standing right on it but since both of us were slightly hovering in flight at the time, we didn’t trigger it, and Dravot tumbled in. As the crushing walls began churning, Dravot looked up and said “Ah, guys?” Aethramyr looked down, stil hovering over the pit and yelled slowly “Teleport… out.” Dravot got the sudden look of “Oh yeah” on his face, and reappeared with the group via the helm of teleportation and we moved on.

The next room held several old wine casks, some of them broken, and most of them soured. But as we looked, flumphs began rising up from somewhere in the room, more and more of them appearing. Aethramyr slammed the door shut and looked at Scorch who rubbed his hands quickly and tossed a fireball in while Aethramyr opened then slammed the door for it.

There was a quiet woosh as the fireball went off, then an odd magic washed over the area after the explosion, and some of the group was suddenly slammed up to the ceiling. “Reverse gravity?” Scorch questioned but we just shrugged, not understanding why this happened. It was harmless enough however and we just moved on. The room was now covered in about a foot’s worth of muck but we carefully moved past it.

The next room was another storage area but was just empty. Beyond that was a library of some kind. Inside, eight ghostly monks sat carefully copying tomes. At first the ghosts seemed to be unable to hear us, but in fact they were just ignoring us. Apparently they are frequently the object of torment by the minions of the ShadowTaker, and assumed we were just new recruits. These men were priests in the temple when it fell, and they sit copying sacred texts to this day. Dravot had an extensive discussion with them, and they provided a great deal of information.

There is one other of their order, Ufic Tarn, who is still alive to this day. He guards the lantern below, and it sustains his life. The lantern however is sputtering and will go out soon if it is not rekindled by the Pyre. But for now the lantern protects Ufic and he it.

The Crypt itself is not quite entirely on the Prime Material. It’s somehow coterminal with the Astral plane. The ShadowTaker has apparently fused several small demi-planes together to form this area, and because of this the layout shifts and changes over time. The monk believed that the ShadowTaker can manipulate the passages and rooms. There are many ways down to the Pyre or lantern but no direct route. Time seems to pass differently in the different demi-planes, and the physical laws also can change. The Bargainers have complained about it. (Apparently that was what the barghests called themselves.)

Also the Pyre is guarded by “The Iron God” – some great construct built to protect the Pyre, with the spirit of a priest of Pelor to give it intelligence.

The ShadowTaker has had many unsavory guests, including Diabolocists, over time. The only time the monk ever saw him was when he was bleeding and dying.

He also cautioned us about the explosives. In the event of an attack, apparently they can blow up this entire area and collapse it to prevent further progress into the crypt below. The two bargainers that escaped might be trying to do that just now.

Aethramyr asked them if they had any tales of the sealing of Therizdun, and they said that they did, the tale being such a fundamental part of the lore. The paladin obtained a copy for our use in the future and we moved on to find the barghests.

The next room housed several scroll stands, and a dozen or so goblins.

Yes. Goblins. Not were-goblins. Not dire goblins. Not undead half elemental paragon goblins. Just plain old goblins. We were taken aback. We had no idea what to do with this. A dragon, sure we can handle that. But goblins? It was all we could do not to laugh. The idea of chasing them out was mentioned but that would just turn them loose on the countryside of Ekbir, which didn’t seem wise. Rather than some complicated solution, I just opted for something simple that elimintated their threat once and for all, and I killed them.

Of course this made a lot of noise. And that was bad because in the next room (there was no door) was two barghests and the piles of explosives. One barghest was smaller and weaker, while the other was the shadowdancer we fought in the entry. He had a scroll in his hand and seemed ready to use it presumably to blow up the whole place.

Valanthe slipped quietly in behind him, and was ready to cut the scroll in two. Once she was ready, I crept in. Fortunately he noticed neither of us. At once, she cut the scroll and I put four arrows into the beast, who fell over with a gurgle. The other barghest barely had time to realize what was happening before he was cut down. Scorch and Valanthe then took steps to neutralize the explosives and we were ready to proceed deeper into the crypt.

WizarDru

Adventurer
dravot said:
Bargainer classes included:
- psionicist of some flavor
- sorceror
- 2 shadowdancers (I think both were shadowdancers)
- dwarven defender (well...barghest defender :p )

1 Egoist
2 Sorcerors
1 shadowdancer
1 Rog/Shadowdancer
1 "Barghest Defender"

To be precise. Perhaps I'll post some of their stat-blocks. Each clocked in at roughly CR17. They were underequipped, however, so you got slightly less experience than normal.

Zad

First Post

OOC Notes:
Exp is 2260

Loot:
(for the sake of stubbornness)
gem worth 150gp
gem worth 60gp
10gp in melted coins

This Week’s Adventure:
We slowly descened the stairs towards what the monks said was the cistern. Without a word we moved into our usual arrangement with Valanthe ahead and searching carefully – this place had far too many preparations for intruders to be anything other than cautious. [Scorch’s player remarked that the place was just “Traptacular”.] We soon came to a short hallway that was lined with torches and several mirrors. At the far end was a metal door with arcane carvings on it. The mirrors radiated abjuration magic, and even the most naïve dungeon delver would have smelled a nasty surprise linked to those mirrors. We discussed a few options for bypassing the mirrors without letting ourselves be reflected in them, and ultimately Bolo took out a horn and blew on it, and a fog arose. After a few moments, the fog filled the entire hallway and Bolo volunteered to go down first to see if it was effective.

While he was moving down the hallway, Valanthe checked the door and peeked through. On the other side was a small tentacled creature, waiting. When Valanthe opened the door, the creature quickly threw a small stone through the open door and into the hallway. As it plunged through the fog, there was a sudden sense of dread, as the sudden realization hit as to the nature of the small stone.

A thunderstone.

The stone hit the floor and let off a loud crack. The mirrors all shattered in a single discordant shriek. Just at the edge of the hall, I could see a demonic form rise up and howl. From the sounds of if, there were several more like him in the fog. The nefalshees looked around for their captors and of course only saw us.

Before they could move any further, I hovered up over Aethramyr and let off several arrows, killing the first demon. Scorch threw a cone of sound down the hall with good effect. Of course the fog was still blocking any good view of what was within, so it was hard to gauge what was within. Aethramyr stepped into the fog and found another demon and killed him as well. The other demons in the fog started loosing magical effects trying to find whatever was attacking them. At the far end of the hall, Valanthe and Bolo tried to work from that end.

I couldn’t see any more demons but was sure they were there. I fired blindly into the fog over Aethramyr’s head, and found my target enough times to kill it. Unfortunately the demons started calling in help, gating in other demons, which left Valanthe and Bolo in an even worse position.

The mayhem continued from there. Even in the narrow hall, both us and the demons had a hard time finding a target to attack and the demons kept gating in more demons. The whole process was taking too long, and we began to worry about what else would fall upon us during the battle. But we eventually found and killed all the demons, and moved through the door.

I find it an interesting footnote to realize that, when locked in a battle with powerful beings of the abyss, our thoughts were not worry for our survival, but amounted to general annoyance at how long it was taking to finish with them and move before something else found us.

At the end of the next hall was a large room. The paint had faded on the walls and on the north and south wall were two large mirrors covering the entire surface. From the tracks, it looked like our tentacled friend (who got away during the chaos) went up to the north mirror than disappeared. Valanthe touched the north mirror, and was transported somewhere else. The scale didn’t seem to work and we couldn’t contact her, but I quickly followed and she was fine on the other side. As I moved out of the landing area, Bolo came in behind me. Unfortunately space was tight and Valanthe, who had moved up a bit, had found that a group of kua toa was nearby and massing at an intersection ahead to attack.

Bolo said he had just the thing for this, and slipped past me. He dropped a wall of fire in the hallway at the intersection, and the smell of burned fish quickly filled the area. Those that survived the wall’s initial ignition had nowhere to run except along the wall, and died quickly. Rather elegant. One of them screamed that we shall be visited by “Death who hops” before he died. None of us knew enough of kua toa religion to know about their gods, and just shrugged.

We suspected that we had been moved to another plane or demi-plane. The scales didn’t seem to be working at the moment but I hoped they would re-establish their connection to each other after a few minutes.

The kua toa seemed to have taken up residence in some cells designed for penitents. They had altered one area to venerate something, but whatever it was got burned with the worshippers. The area held little of interest and we moved on.

The hallway leading on had a now-routine pit trap, and several alcoves like burial nooks. There were many dead bodies and bones there. As we approached, the bones started moving on their own. Individually mind you, not the entire skeleton as a group. The bones seemed to be coming together to form something but we didn’t give it time. Dravot moved up and shined the radiant light of Pelor and the bones exploded into fragments, coating the floor, and lay still. I wondered what it might have been, but it seemed safer not to find out.

At the end of the hall was a room filled with water to some unknown depth, and columns rose from the water to the ceiling. The columns pulsed with an eerie blue-white light and the sound of running water added an odd effect. In the water I could make out some kua toa swimming around. Then suddenly a large creature jumped out of the water and landed on a dry area. It was almost part centaur, and part frog.

Death who hops.

WizarDru

Adventurer
wolff96 said:
You know, I could never ever use a villain named "Death who Hops".

I couldn't keep a straight face long enough to describe it.

I also can't wait for more update-y goodness... especially to see if any other deviousness made it into the actual storyhour.

It's funny, because after seeing this I simply couldn't resist using him. Players, please do not use this link.

And followers of the other thread should recognize a suggested element beginning. Suggestions are still welcome at this thread here

One of the most amusing comments of recent games:

Scorch: Hey, wait a minute. If the Shadow King is really the shadow of Tharizdun, what's making him cast that shadow?

DM:Are you planning on taking some levels of Alienist?

Scorch: Ummmm....no.

DM:Because asking questions like that leads right into it.

Scroch:GOT IT.

Heh. :)

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 5

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 5

OOC Notes:
Exp is 2575. 100 point bonus for Scorch for having the forethought to paint miniatures with identifiable features.

Loot:
At least the ShadowTaker pays someone around here.
Bastard sword +4, elf bane
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Slime Chain - +3 mithril chain shirt
Cloak of Resistance +3
Ring of Protection +3
Large steel shield +3
Gems totaling 12kgp.
Two periapts of wisdom +4
Rod of flailing
Slime Breastplate - +2 breastplate
Rod of the Python
8 koa toa slime chain (mithril chain shirt)

This Week’s Adventure:
Death Who Hops. So that’s who they meant.

Or, for our purposes, Death Who Croaks.

The koa toa had heard us and seen the light from Dravot’s shield, and were preparing. Two of them were casting spells, and others were moving towards large metal grates. Each corner of the room opened out into a smaller side chamber and each had a metal grate in the middle. The room itself had a domed ceiling, and the two large ceramic pipes channeled water up and down in a cycle. Scattered around the room were about ten koa toa plus the abomination that was Death Who Hops. Most of them wore a slime-coated chain mail and their apparent leader also had a wicked bastard sword in hand, and a shield slung over his back. His other hand held a strange spiked rod that didn’t seem to be a practial weapon.

It didn’t take long to get a hunch on what they were up to. Some of the fish men closed off the metal grates with a lever, while others dove into the pool, and the flow of water began building; they were flooding the room. What I didn’t understand was what they thought would keep the water inside – there were two passages out of the room and the flow didn’t seem to be fast enough to rush out of them with any force. But they were up to something.

Valanthe stepped through the shadows and came out inside the room on the far side, still undetected. I floated up in the shadows along the ceiling closer to the room. Thorkeld stepped up but with less subtrifuge, and the abomination saw him and burbled something. Scorch casually remarked it was standard monster rhetoric and shrugged it off. Death Who Hops then activated the spiked rod, which changed into a flail, and he tossed it to one of the spellcasters near him.

But there were all these things in a room by themselves, and so Bolo decided to do the obvious and sensible thing and threw a thunderswarm into the room. That’s when the final piece of the puzzle fell into place - just about the time the thunderswarm crashed into the wall of force at the doorway. Now the whole business with the water made sense. Scorch of course always has a ready answer to a wall of force, and he dropped it with a disintegrate and followed it with a powerful fireball. Most of the lesser koa toa were burned to ash instantly, but Death Who Hops and a few others ignored the effect completely. Unfortunately this threw off our plan – Aethramyr and I had waited for Scorch’s fireball, and were then going to attack ourselves to finish off Death Who Hops. But the fireball didn’t work, and to make matters worse, Aethramyr charged Death Who Hops but was unable to land a solid blow. Death-y was obviously covered in enchantments. So instead, I fired at one of his supporting spellcasters and put him to a quick death. Like the bhargests, his soul was ripped out by a red line of energy and drawn through the floor.

Thorkeld moved in to press Death Who Hops. The creature had some powerful attacks, but fortunately our side managed to turn them away for the most part. Bolo then threw a dispel, stripping almost all of the enchantments from the centaur frog beast. Meanwhile Valanthe and her shadows were quietly but very effectively working to re-open a few of the grates, just in case the water flow increased. We pressed our attack hard, and cleared much of the room, when Scorch let a finger of death fly at Death, Who Croaked.

There were a couple koa toa survivors, and I charmed one to learn a little more about the area (with the aid of a Tongues from Dravot’s wand. Clever thing that.) He told is that they too were bound by a bargain of some kind, though he knew little of it. I think that the ShadowTaker has these creatures here to guard his lair, and he lets them live here and offers them some measure of power. My new friend said that there were several ways to get below, including a large cube, and a giant tunnel. He rarely left the area however so he knew little. He did mention more mirrors ahead and said not to listen to them.

It was at this point that I realized that while every other creature’s soul was ripped from their body, it had not happened to Death Who Hopped. I wasn’t sure what to make of this – maybe he was a construct of some kind.

There was one other thing in the room during the battle. I hesitate to mention it because it seemed so much more fearsome than it turned out to be. At one point one of the koa toa clerics used an item to call forth a massive water snake. It was easily fifty feet long and seemed as if it would be another serious threat. It turned out that it was a fairly minor magic item and the snake wilted as soon as someone looked sideways at it, reverting to a small wooden rod. I was somewhat embarrassed for myself but better I suppose to overestimate than underestimate.

We cleaned up the items left behind by the dearly departed koa toa, including the bastard sword – it had a name, something “slurpy” I think. But its nature was far more disconcerting. The blade had been made to slay elves. It wasn’t evil in itself, but it was quite troubling. We debated destroying it but decided to leave that discussion for a later time.

We went out the other side of the chamber (also protected by a wall of force but our fishy friend showed us how to lower it). We saw a hall that had huge chunks of broken mirrors hung on the walls. Unsure of what to make of it, we decided to bypass it and try another hallway. This one led us to the cubic gate that the koa toan had described. Scorch carefully analyzed the gate, and it seemed to lead to a small demi-plane, probably chaotic and evil in nature. Not caring for that, we chose to go down another passage.

This passage led to a small room that had several large piles of bones in it. To nobody’s surprise, Dravot could detect their undead nature. He attempted to destroy them and did destroy two, but there were several more and they were quite strong. We all crowded into the room as best we could. I fired several shots but some of them were swallowed up by the shadowstuff that seemed to glue these bones together. Bolo however found himself pressed on three sides, and the creatures claws reached for him. Rather than tearing his flesh, they leeched energy from him. He grew weaker and they grew larger feeding on him. If his luck ran ill, he would not survive another set of attacks from them. So to give him a chance to flee, I moved in closer and fired a few arrows on the way to draw their attention. Sure enough, they all clawed at me, but they were slow and predicable and I avoided them all, allowing Bolo to withdraw. Dravot destroyed two more, and the last ones clawed at him. Dravot didn’t even bother to block them – his soul was sealed from their foul hunger, and he fished the last of them off.

[OOC: these creatures did a touch attack, and each attack drained a random statistic. Bolo had taken several attacks and lost five strength and similar amounts from other stats. If he got hit, and it happened to pile up on a stat that was already drained, he could have died. I was worried for him, so Kayleigh moved in to draw the AoO’s so that Bolo could pull back. Bolo’s player looked at me with genuine gratitude that I would be willing to step into harm’s way to save Bolo. Then Wizardru asked what my touch AC was, and I replied “38” and realization came over Bolo’s player’s face. Elf girl is brave, but she is not dumb.]

With this last fight, we were starting to think about when and where we should recover. Bolo’s drained state made a compelling case. Scorch wanted to press on, and there was merit to the argument, but we were worried about what else would find us while we rested. The other problem of course was one of safety. Generally we would have used used a Mordenkainen’s Mansion. But after carefully studying the area, Scorch concluded that we were not actually in contact with the Astral Plane here. The spell would not work, or worse yet, the ShadowTaker would allow it to work, luring us into a false sense of safety, only to attack while we rested. I thought it might be an interesting trap to lay, but we decided there were too many risks.

So with a return to our dungeon-exploring roots, we made camp on the stone floor. Of course we did take the precaution of walling off one entrance with a wall of stone just in case. Watches were set, and we rested with one eye open. In the early morning hours (not that the term had any meaning here) there was a strange slurping noise, and we could see some type of odd black pudding coming slowly down the hall at us. It was large, filling the entire hallway and slowly moving towards us. Bolo tried to destroy it but it resisted his control of nature. Pelor’s might was another matter however, and Dravot’s incantation completely destroyed it. It was nearly time to get moving again, and while the priests prayed and Scorch studied, I sat quietly, trying to think of a way to break out of this deathtrap maze that the ShadowTaker has so carefully laid out to destroy intruders. Was there some other way to find the Light of Reason without going through all these defenses?

But while I sat and thought, there was something else. An tiny itch. An infinitesimally small burning sensation in my soul. I didn’t even realize what it was at the time. But I would learn.

Zad

First Post
The Crypt of the ShadowTaker

The Crypt of the ShadowTaker - Chapter 6

Author's note: I'm sick as a dog, have been all weekend. This may not even make sense for all I know. That's why we have an edit button.

OOC Notes:
Exp is 1800

Loot:
7,000gp (ring)
3,400gp (gems)
800 (longsword, ornamental)
ceremonial dagger, value as art unknown, materials 500gp
Dwarven war axe +1
Repeating crossbow +1
Potion of enlarge (5th level)
Potion of cure moderate

This Week’s Adventure:
We made our morning preparations and set out. We bashed a hole in our wall of stone, intent to explore that passage. But on the other side, there was something odd. There was a faint, diffuse sense of undead and evil. It seemed similar to what we had seen before, and Dravot attempted a turning to destroy it. There was no obvious effect, save to agitate the creature, which pulled itself together.

It was as if a graveyard’s worth of bones came together and decided to cooperate. They formed a creature like a giant worm, with arms and hands forming the gaping maw, clawing wildly at the scent of living flesh. The bone swarm lurched and creaked, and oriented on Dravot.

I fired a few arrows at it, and there was some effect. Bolo brought a flame strike down but it had little impact on the mindless thing. In a flash, it shot through the room. In a single undulating motion, it swallowed Dravot, Bolo, Tailcatcher, and Zera. I could catch glimpses of them between the moving bones, as arms and teeth ripped at them.

It then occurred to me that perhaps it wasn’t a very smart idea to swallow a cleric. Apparently it occurred to Dravot as well. He reached out with Pelor’s healing touch, and a ripple of light wracked the creature. It shrieked in agony, and the entire structure loosened, barely coherent. Aethramyr put one solid swing with Shatterspike into it and the creature exploded into a shower of bone fragments and powder.

We carefully worked our way through the crypt. More undead were lurking ahead. Honestly I hadn’t even quite figured out what they were before Dravot annihilated them. Around another corner we found another group of shadowy skeletons like the kind that drained Bolo. Scorch couldn’t resist trying a new trick, and passed over a delayed blast fireball, which was lobbed around the corner and did a rather thorough job.

In one area Valanthe reported a room with pools of blood on the floor. Hooks hung from chains on the ceiling (Bolo shivered visibly at the mention of them) and grates were dotted on the floor. The blood was fairly fresh, making me wonder what creature it came from. Valanthe also spotted what we assumed was some kind of golem – it was made from jagged bits of metal fused together. Its hands ended in long sharp talons. It looked like something the Egg of Coot might have made but somehow more crude and sharp. By using a scarab of golembane Bolo had, we determined there was a second one nearby.

We set up quickly and then made some noise to attract them into the hall. It worked perfectly and they came, skating on the fresh blood in a most disconcerting way. I loosed a volley of arrows, which mostly stuck. There was a slick coating on most of the creature’s body that deflected some of the force, but it was still quite angered, at least until Aethramyr stepped up and finished it off. As Aethramyr’s death blow tore through it, the creature flew apart, sending jagged metal in every direction, and slicing several deep cuts into the paladin. The second one quickly met the same fate, but this time was killed from a bit farther away to avoid the same explosion of steel.

We explored the room quickly and recovered some valuables that had fallen into the drains, then moved on to another room. The area smelled of ammonia, and the room had wooden tables stained with blood. There were several corpses, some of which were nothing more than dessicated skeletons. Crawling around were things that looked like slugs made of mercury, slowly devouring the flesh. Scorch believes that these things act as scrying sensors for the ShadowTaker. Since the area was a dead end, we withdrew and explored another corridor.

We found an ornate mirror, eight feet high, hovering off the ground. It glowed in a series of colored lights, going through the rainbow. Scorch believed this was another gate that would lead somewhere else within the crypt. After some thorough investigation, he believed the lights were a ruse designed to mislead anyone tampering with the mirror. (As Scorch one again said “Well, it’s what I’d do” I found myself again glad that Scorch seemed to be the ShadowTaker’s match in both intelligence and paranoia.) However during the poking and prodding, the mirror let off a spray of colored light. The beams struck everyone in the area, turning Valanthe to stone, and injuring almost everyone else. (My little voice had told me that this was not something I should toy with so I was standing well back fortunately.) Scorch fortunately was able to return her to flesh.

Not knowing where the mirror would lead, or if it would take us all to the same place, we ultimately decided it was not a good choice. We decided to head back to the cube gate, or perhaps explore the other cistern which was on the way.

The second cistern held no water but it did house an incredibly large manticore. Our group was fairly large and carrying light, and the creature must have noticed for it called out “Creatures…. Vilespike smells your flesh. Smells elfblood.” It went on, making all the usual threats about our doom while we cast a few prepatory spells (especially a mirror image for me – fast becoming a favorite.) We were in a single line in a long corridor and vulnerable to the tailspikes so we waited for the inevitable cue before charging.

Finally it said “The bargain must be kept.” And we charged. Scorch commented sarcastically that everyone else who said that didn’t keep the bargain so far, but the creature replied “Oh but they did!”

A volley of spikes flew down the hall one of which nicked me, and I felt the poison rip through my body, weakening me. This was unfortunate but not immediately fatal. I decided to distract the creature and let it swat at me so the others could charge into the room, so I flew past and fired a few arrows. The creature bit at me but only dispelled an image, then howled as the arrows hit. It stared at me, promising to destroy me first. Of course my attempt at a distraction failed since it pounced on Aethramyr just as quickly when he moved into range.

Dravot, who I’d swear had been mentally giggling, cast a blade barrier into the room. While the room was large, so was the creature, and there was very few places it could go to escape the whirling blades. Valanthe, who had shadowstepped into the room earlier, saw her opportunity and struck hard at the manticore. Her blows were telling but the creature was still fixated on me. It fired several spikes at me, and I managed to avoid almost all of them, only loosing one image in the process. The manticore then snapped at Aethramyr, who had charged and struck followed by Bolo in the form of an air elemental. The creature’s arrogance was so blinding that it reeled in shock, refusing to acknowledge that it could possibly be defeated bu such creatures. Even as my final arrows struck and killed it, the denial was apparent on its face. As expected, the soul was ripped free at the moment of death, but oddly the soul looked like a giant sized humanoid rather than a manticore.

There was a large tunnel leading out from this cistern, sloping down. It was a wide tunnel, explaining how the manticore got here in the first place. We decided the tunnel must be the one the kua toa mentioned, and decided it looked better than the cubic gate. As we descended, the shape of the tunnel changed several times. Eventually it narrowed and the ceiling drew lower to the point where we would have had to crawl to go forward. Happy coincidence had us stop at this point to assess our situation. Bolo wanted to try to commune with nature to understand the area so we waited while he started to chant. It didn’t last long though.

Behind us, an enormous delver burst through the floor with a resounding crash as earth and rock was thrown aside. To the left and right, three minotaurs carrying tower shields came out in a shield wall, stepping out from what was now clearly an illusionary tunnel wall. Scattered behind them were some thirty goblins. There was blinking and blurring and shifting, indicating that some combination of mirror images, blurs, and what not were in effect. Most of the goblins were carrying slender wands and pointing them at us. A well prepared ambush, stalled only by the fact that we chose to stop a few feet short of it. But we were close enough, and they attacked.

Oh well. The bargain must be kept, after all.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Thanks, Dakkareth. The feedback is always welcome, and we're always glad to hear from someone who's enjoyed the story hour. I like to joke with my players that our story hour is "the lurker's choice". :D

While we're waiting for Zad's update, here's a quick "Meanwhile" update...and a question for anybody who frequents the story hour: We'll be going Epic, soon. I've been discussing with Zad about starting a new thread when that begins. What are your thoughts?

Now, then..........

---------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile....part the first

"Did you see the Steading?", Dortmundd whispered, as if there were more than just the two of them. [/i]"It's no less than they deserved....but the destruction, Jacob, the destruction."[/i]

Jacob stared around the tent he shared with the infantry captain. Dortmundd, he knew, was a fool. Competent in battle, but little more than that, he often acted like a goggling farmboy when confronted with something beyond his experience. But in this case, Jacob agreed.

"It is wise to keep such observations to yourself," he cautioned. "Unless Skullkiss is near, it is foolish to talk openly of such things. You risk treason, at best, your life at worst."

"Surely you don't think the Duke would..."

"Have you killed for being a loose-jawed jackanapes?" came the deep baritone voice. Neither had heard the flap open, nor the Duke himself enter. A filttering of cloth in the darkness confirmed, for Jacob, at least, that Skullkiss the Scarlet was present, as well. One of his spells, perhaps? It didn't matter.

"You'll guard your tongue or you'll lose it, captain. I expect better of my men. I've waited too long and lost too much to lose it to simple carelessness. Hello, d'Celdane." He nodded at Jacob. "We need to talk. Can this one be trusted to keep silent?" He gestured towards Dortmundd without looking at him.

"I think so, my lord. Once he understands the gravity of his predicament...and ours."

"Our....predicament?", Dortmundd said, clearly not comprehending.

"Be quiet and listen, for a change," Jacob chided him. "Your grace, what are we going to do? How long can we play this charade? When I was a boy, I played with tindertwigs, and nearly burned my skin off. You play with gnomish fire-powder."

Instead of irritations at the cavalry-master's words, the duke smiled. His face looked older than it should, and the smile was a sad one. The beard on his face hid the scars from The Retreat, as the men called it, but the scars on his soul were harder to see. The Duke had lost almost everything to the giants...and he intended to pay them back. The men said he had a clipping of his daughter's hair and that with each dead giant, he threw away a single strand. It was said that the Duke of Geoff would not rest until he had discarded every last one.

The Duke walked slowly to a nearby cot, and sat himself in it. though not in the best of shape any longer, he was still a brute of a man, once called a Giant himself, before that nickname became a title too cruel to label a man with. His tired eyes gazed over at Jacob, many years his junior.

"Still the firebrand, just like your father, eh? Hmmm. I know Chavram and his dog-men can't be trusted, Jacob. But I don't care. We have similar interests, if not common goals. He's not going to betray us, yet."

"You're sure of this?", replied Jacob, suprised by the Duke's confidence. "Did you see what became of the Frost Giant's fortress? What they did to the inhabitants?"

"WE. HAVE. SEEN. MORE. THAN. YOU. KNOW."

Jacob shuddered. Though no match for Chavram, the Duke's wizard was puissant and dangerous. He made Jacob uneasy, and his hideous looks and strange, alien voice made it even harder to be at ease around him. He spoke in a strange, clipped tongue, every word always sounding like an effort. He always hid in shadows, concealed in cloaks. It was often joked at court that he was merely there to inspect the duke's curtains, though not to his face.

"Seen what?" Jacob asked. "What could be more horrific than..."

"THARIZDUN."

With one word, the wizard had made the room suddenly cold as ice. Jacob's heart felt as if it had frozen in his chest. The mad god of darkness. His memories washed over him, and for a moment all he could see was a quick knife, a dying priest and his own impiety. Without meaning to, he glanced at the long-healed scars on his hands.

"Yes," said the Duke. "I saw the temple, myself. The giants had help. Lots of it...from the cult of madness itself. Chavram's hate was terrifying. His rage was what you saw the results of. The giants who survived...he calls them Animus', like his son and grandsons."

"Tritherion keep us safe. But I have seen these monstrosities, high upon the hill, as you must know...if these nightmares are not what you are here to talk about, then what? And why are you so sure that Chavram will not betray us? We need him now far more than he needs us."

"Chavram is not as untouchable as you may think, Sir d'Celdane. He has vulnerabilities that can be exploited, and he is not omnipotent." A new, unknown voice joined the conversation. It was vaguely familiar to Jacob, though he could not immediately place it. As he tried to place it, the air next to the Duke's throne began to shimmer, as if someone had placed a great flame on the floor. In a matter of seconds, the form of a tall, pale man appeared next to throne, standing patiently.

"Peace, PEACE!", the duke yelled as both of his captains reached for their swords. "He is a friend." Both men, relaxed slightly. The pale man looked young and was dressed in a simple velvet outfit of mostly forest green. Somehow, the wizard Skullkiss had appeared on the other side of the throne. Was this his doing? The war weary captain examined the strange visitor. It took a few moments for recognition to set in. When it did, Jacob's jaw dropped open.

"Yes, I see you know who I am, now. My name is Kaltin, and if you wish to learn how to defeat Chavram, then I can help you."

Jacob stared, increduous. "How do we know we can trust you? You could be a plant from Chavram!"

Kaltin merely smiled. "Hadn't you heard? My brother's a living saint. Saints never lie."

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
Dravot’s Journal – ShadowTaker’s Crypt

We have been within the lair of the foul lich for a day and a half, and have weathered the worst that he’s had to throw at us: the barghests, numerous traps, and several undead abominations. As we continually move down toward our goals, the challenges get much more difficult, but so far we are able to handle ourselves.

I find my mood alternating between anger at his desecration of Pelor’s temple and eagerness at getting toward our goals. I try to remind myself that this isn’t personal, but it’s hard not to, given what he’s done to the temple, and his control of the the lantern and the flame as well. I must remember to restrain myself when in combat, lest I let my wrath override my better sense – like my reaction to the ShadowTaker’s taunts. It may have been the right thing to do, but doing it out of spite is not good.

I have debated whether to tell Zira about our suspicions of her possible control by the ShadowTaker. I have not found the words yet. Maybe I will tell her when we camp for the night. It seems wrong to me to have these suspicions and not tell her about them. It might be a good idea to look into the matter some more tonight. I’m thinking of a long term detect magic, and possibly some method of protecting her. I will talk about it with Scorch when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I continue to ruminate on our discussion with the ShadowTaker through his meat puppet. I sincerely hope that Bolo’s grove is ok. Luckily, I can Commune with Pelor, so maybe tonight I will try to find out how his grove is. It could well be just a bluff intended to distract us, as much as an actual incursion upon those lands. I pray to Pelor to give those people some respite from the ravages of evildoers who trod upon the lands of others as they pursue agendas that have nothing to do with them, other than spite and rage.

I am glad for the companionship of my friends, for it is the only thing that keeps out the oppressive spirit that has infused this place. It will take a long time, and a lot of consecrate and hallow spells to remove the stench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads