• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aethramyr

First Post
Lessons.

One Chapter Ends, another begins.

The Shadow taker is killed, and the Githyanki fill in the gap to take his place. More people need help, and speaking for myself I am glad we give it. In this case, it is in Celene where our aid is required. But not right this moment, so I stop to write some more.

One ending that has occured is that I have fullfilled my Primary Duty to My goddes of dreams. We managed to secure some journals from the Shadowtaker's Lair, and After that foul creature's death, we managed to have some small time to study them. To my shock and amazement, it was he who ordered the destruction of Menalden, the town of my birth, and sent Tean the clearcut to destroy it! The cursory reading did not unearth his reasoning, and at times I wonder if the whisperings that I was the true target of the attacks are true. If someone performed divinations for the shadow taker, or he did them himself, and they indicated I was fated to slay him, it does have all the ear-marks of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When we have time, I need to devote more time to studying the book. But That night, I went dream-walking to her castle. She knows all that happens to her devoted, and certainly knew the news I brought to her already. But there were rituals that were necissary, mostly for my benifit, and another of her followers who was transcribing the account. When I was finished, She spoke. I confess her exact words are lost to my memory, For what happened next stirred my mind up quite a bit. All at once I could feel her pride in her servant - the pride she felt at each foe struck by my sword, each time a life saved, each burdened I eased in her service all flowed through her into me, and I felt empowered. The two marks I have each became visable, the mark of fire on my hand and earth on my forehead, and glowed brighter with each second. Then a spark of ignited inside of me, creating a flame of power that began burning away some previously unfelt barrier. There was pain, an intense pain, but a pure pain - it's hard to describe. It's like being cut with a sword during practice. It hurts, but it's a pain you excpect, you accept. It's a pain you learn from. And when it was done, when the barrier was finally burned away, I learned a lot. I knew how much farther my potential was, but more Importantly, I learned how to travel that road.

After that, I no longer had the strength or focus to continue dream-walking, and scene faded as all dreams do. The last I recall was the realization that, While I have faith in her as do all who serve a diety, I felt a small portion of the amount of faith she had in me.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Bolo opened his eyes and saw the grove of the First Ash. He was still holding on to the vibration of the green when it all happened... Bolo would never be the same.

Zad

First Post
For the readers: We're playing tomorrow (Friday) so expect an update.

You know, I really look forward to this game. I do plenty of things for fun, and they're all great. But I look forward to every single session of this game, and I really enjoy it thoroughly. I spend time thinking about it during the week, I write up stories about it, and generally just love the hell out of it every time I get the chance to be an elf girl for a while. My character has grown from a level 1 fighter up to an epic level arcane archer, and it's been fantastic.

In part, I'm telling you all this so you get a sense of how fun this game is. But mostly I'm saying something that doesn't get said often enough - Thank You. This game is the highlight of my week because Wizardru makes it so. He puts a lot of time, energy, and work into it, and I benefit from it. So I'll say it again.

Thank you Wizardru.

WizarDru

Adventurer
I conside myself extremely lucky to have such talented and enthusiastic players. It's all about having fun, and sharing a common story. It only takes a brief glance at the General RPG forum to reveal how many DMs have difficult decisions to make with their players, and how good it is to have a group that groks what I'm trying to do and gives me a big incentive to keep at it.

Last night's game can summarized in two words:

Githyanki. Smackdown.

Or you could just use the words 'Ouch' and 'DAMN'.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Bolo and the First Ash.

Bolo had waited until his friends had all gone on their way before he left instructions for Sylivan the Elven ranger to keep an eye on the shambling mounds that now were Bolo’s constant bodyguards. Where he was going only the Druid and Tailcatcher could go. Bolo spoke words more ancient then even the elves themselves and saw the ash tree open to him. He has traveled through the roots of the trees before and while he loved the feeling normally Bolo was to distracted to feel the rush of the Green as he passed through. The pull of the First Ash was unmistakable and Bolo had to keep this meeting.

Ever since his meeting with Solostarn Bolo had felt the need to center himself. In the few scant months he had been with Gelban’s champions he had had his entire world uprooted and despite the new body Bolo was a Halfling on the inside and had a hard time adjusting to it all. He had died twice, been born again twice, been to see his goddess on her own plane, fought terrible creatures of immense evil and accomplished astounding feats he had never thought to do. He had been some fantastic places and seen wonders his family could never imagine. On top of all of this was the fact that he is a descendant of Dydd one of the greatest of Halfling heroes and a grand Druid. Now was a time for rest and contemplation. Celene will be safe without him for one night, besides Tailcatcher deserved a rest. His faithful companion was just not suited for the life Bolo lead and it was showing more and more.

As the Trip through the trees ended Bolo and Tailcatcher stepped out of an Ash tree near the hillock where the First Ash could be found. As they walked up the path they soon realized that the immense trees lining the path were not just ancient trees but Elder Treants. Trees of such age that they predate the humanoid races entirely. Bolo bowed to them as he passed and said in sylvan how much a pleasure it was to be in their company. As he crested the hill he saw a sapling not much more then 5’tall but is was the First Ash. The first tree to come to the barren Oerth. As he hesitantly drew closer he saw a maiden step out from the body of the sapling. She was the loveliest woman Bolo had ever seen. She was dressed in just about nothing but a strange skirt made of some form of Palm fronds but as Bolo drew closer she pulled a length of the palms stem and it whipped away from her waist and hardened into a weapon of some sort.

“Who are you and why have you come here?” the Dryad asked in Sylvan. Bolo said quite mildly “I’m Bolo Brandybuck. I have come to hear the wisdom of the First Ash.”
She twisted the stem she was holding and the weapon was once again a skirt. “Bolo. I did not recognize you since last we met.” Bolo was puzzled for he did not remember ever being to the First Ash before and he surely would have remembered such a creature as she. “I was reborn and have some memories that are no longer there. I apologize for not remembering you….” He trailed off hoping she would say her name. “I’m Alara.” She said, “The first tree will speak with you now.”

Alara reached down to the roots of the First Ash and pulled up a tuber. “Eat this. It will open you up to the wisdom of the first tree.” Bolo wanted to make a joke about hearing that line before but kept his mouth shut opening it only to bite into the tuber. Bolo immediately felt the world shift around him and he could see what had been invisible to him before. He an Alia were conduits. Bridges between the Green and the meat that walked the planet. He could see the link between himself and the First Ash. Then Bolo simply let the voice of the First Ash wash over him like he was back in his mother’s womb. The ash spoke in feelings and concepts not words or pictures and Bolo was not able to understand much but he was told that there was an undead king who was creating a new empire of death and the living dead. He was shown a sword just like Aethramyr’s Shatterspike only this one was Purple and had been shattered into small pieces but a shadowy hand was rebuilding it and forging it into a different type of weapon. Bolo asked a few questions the first of these was “Great one, It seems I have been chosen to rebuild the Druidic order. What advice and or Aid can you provide me to help in my task?” The Ash sent back images that Bolo finally understood as the start of the new druidic council would start with him and his family. Bolo had been told by Ehlonna that his son Geo was safe and cared for, Bolo now understood why. He would have to create a family unit not a religion. The old ways were gone, and just as all life evolves so to must the druids and their ways. They are the symbols of all life, they must not be static or the world they wish to protect will pass them by.
Bolo asked if there was some way to contact the other remaining Druids and two leaves fell from the Ash. One landed in Bolo’s lap and one stuck itself to the Ivy Ring of Beory that Ravenna had said the Earth Goddess wished Bolo to have. He took the leaf from his lap and placed it against his chest next to his heart. He instantly knew the leaf would always be alive and that he could use it one time per week to transport himself and others to the Grove of the First Ash. The last thing Bolo learned was not expected and it shocked him greatly at first. Bolo’s newest form was not exactly Elven. He was slowly transmuting into a Fae creature, even as he sat there submersed in the green he could feel himself becoming more focused. His mind grew stronger and the world seemed to tilt just a hair more in a different way as if Bolo were starting to see the world of the Faeries and how it connects to this world.

Bolo had received all of the information that he was able to receive from the First Ash and let the connection slip away. He immediately felt weak and exhausted. He was suffering a side effect from the tuber and would need to spend the night in this grove to regain his strength but Bolo had to return to the Elven camp. With Kayleigh in Celene proper and Scorch, Dravot, Valenthe, Zira, and Thorkeld in Eckbir it left Aethramyr to defend the camp should the Githyanki return. So he pushed himself to his feat immediately regretted it and sat back down next to Alara. “I have a boon to ask my lady. Tailcatcher has been my loyal friend and my dearest companion but the traveling and danger is too much for him. May he stay here in the Grove?”
Alara looked at the veteran war dog and smiled. “Yes Bolo he may stay.”

With a long goodbye of belly scratches, Bolo made his way back along the green to the camp. There stood Sylivan handsome as an angel and the Shamblers were sleeping quietly in heaps along the riverbank. “Are you well Bolo?” Sylivan asked as he helped Bolo steady himself. “I’m fine. Just feeling a bit weak from the bonding with the First Ash. I’ll be well by morning.” Sylivan helped the Grand Druid back to the command tent where Kayleigh and her beau were swapping love looks over a battle map. Sometimes he thought he would never understand Elves, or Humans for that matter.

Zad

First Post
Shadows Rise and Shadows Fall - Chapter 5

Shadows Rise and Shadows Fall - Chapter 5

OOC Notes:
Experience for this and last session totals to 6050.

Loot:
Two staves of Necromancy, 10 charges ea (definitely a stave)
4 Rings of Protection +2
2 Cloaks of Charisma +2
+3 breastplate
+3 silver greatsword (i.e. githyanki silver sword)
Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2
Cloak of Resistance +3
Cloak of Resistance +5
Bracers of Armor +6
Gauntlets of Dexterity +4
Headband of Intellect +4
Scroll of Greater Dispelling caster level 15
Some masterwork Driftmetal broadswords
+1 unholy silver sword

This Week’s Adventure
While I was talking to Zira, Bolo went off to visit the First Ash. I wished him well and told him to thank the Ash for me. He returned some time later, a bit shaken and looking slightly ill but said he was fine and it would pass. He asked if Kargoth was returning – I said that as far as we knew Kargoth never went anywhere, but could he be referring to Orcus coming to the Prime? This tied in with what Bolo heard about the creation of a nation of undead – surely Rauxes. He also saw a vision of a purple crystal sword being reformed, in the hands of the Shadow King. This time it was not being forged as a sword, but something else (he couldn’t tell what). He said little else about what happened, and went to lay down. He seemed exhausted but well, so I just let him rest.

I myself went to meditate for a time in a quiet glade. I relaxed my mind and sorted through the fugue of perceptions that washed over me when I touched the Binder. I began to understand the exact order and timing of the Githyanki attacks. I saw the battle scenes from several angles. Eventually I was able to draw some conclusions. First, there were some elves on the brink of death at the moment I shared with them. But for some, I could feel that their souls were not merely moving on, but were in fact being drained into the gith swords. Were the gith stealing their souls? And why? Also, I clearly saw two different githyanki forces. Of the forces I saw, each had a dreadnaught with one of the black flame beings commanding, and each had at least one astral brig. But the force we fought back was easily the size of both of these put together, indicating that perhaps the gith were not as strong here as I had feared. The dreadnaughts I saw were moving much faster than the ones we had fought – terrifying in something so large.

There was another disturbing element that I finally picked out. At both battles, I saw one of the female enchanters, but it was the same one. The same one that we had killed in our battle. Githyanki do have some individually recognizable features and they are very fussy about their jewelry so there was no doubt that these beings were identical. I began to think that the Lich Queen was somehow copying this creature for her needs.

After understanding some of this, I found Aran’gel and Onselven to look at the maps and try to find a place to strike back. As we talked, we realized that there was not nearly enough food on the ships to feed the dreadnaughts. True they ate a few elves on the battlefield but not enough to sustain them. Either they were moving them back to the astral, or there had to be a supply base somewhere on the prime. After examining the maps and sorting through the wash of perceptions, we thought we could narrow it down to a twenty mile area where there was most likely a githyanki base. Of course that was more than enough. Bolo could commune with the green itself, and it would gladly reveal the location of the invaders.

Before we broke up, one of the senior clerics of Corellian arrived with distressing news. The man had clearly just wiped the tears from his eyes as he came to report: they have not been able to raise some of the dead. The spirits are lost, and they cannot be returned to the bodies. With this information we re-examined some of the githyanki swords. Sure enough, some of them had a crystal dojore imbedded in the hilt. The crystal seemed to be some kind of psionic conduit. So the githyanki were stealing souls and sending them… where?

We would find out. We prepared and set off for the northwest end of Celene. We took only our company, and a squad of swiftrunners on the ground to report the results of the battle should we fall. The brig was unsteady at first but Valanthe quickly mastered it and we were skimming the treetops at a good speed and were near the area in under an hour. We hovered at the edge of the suspect area and had not yet seen any gith patrols. Bolo dropped to the ground and spoke to the green – our suspicion was right. There was a large camp of strange creatures nearby and now we knew where. There were some powerful unnatural creatures and about two dozen elves also in the camp.

At the speed the brig moved, we would be on them in minutes. Rather than try to evade the patrols, we would simply charge straight into their camp. We prepared ourselves for war. Arcane and divine protections cascaded over us in waves, and Bolo summoned a swarm of air elementals. We were more ready than we had ever been for anything, and at Valanthe’s direction the ship slid forward silently on the wind.

As we moved over the trees, I made out the occasional flash of a gith patrol below us. They were moving fast but it wouldn’t matter soon. We crested over a treeline and came into a large clearing edged on one side by a rocky foothill with a cave entrance. From the look of the cave entrance, the gith have had use of this area for quite some time. Near the cave entrance was a dreadnaught, seemingly lounging without its harness on. Oddly shaped tents filled the clearing and hundreds of githyanki went about their business, most undisturbed by the appearance of our brig. On opposite sides were large command tents that were hubs of activity along with the cave entrance. On the far side was a crudely made pen holding two dozen elves. Before a moment had passed, one of the black flame warlocks stepped out of the nearer command tent, and there was no doubt he knew this was an attack. He spread his armed and a large ghostly creature appeared next to him. The battle was joined and while it would last only seconds, it would be as fierce as it was one-sided.

I leveled my bow at the nearby warlock off the port railing. His face was an impassive smirk – he thought he was well protected. The fact that he didn’t die outright indicates that perhaps he was. The arrows tore through the air and nearly destroyed the Stoneskin that protected him, and gravely injured him as well. The smirk was gone, replaced by horror, and I smirked myself.

Dravot had his own havoc to wreak and from the lantern beams of pure sunlight danced across the battlefield. Most of the githyanki troops nearby collapsed, burning and screaming as the holy light washed over them and some five score githyanki would no longer threaten elfkind. But as they died, two balls of light ripped out of each body and shot upward in a spinning trail of light. I prayed it was the elven souls now free to join Corellian. As I watched them dance into the sky and fade away, the ghostly creature wavered, vanished, and re-appeared on the deck of the brig. Since Aethramyr was near, I just ignored it for now. I had no doubt he could deal with it.

Bolo dispatched the air elementals to rescue the elves and cause general mayhem, and then called up a storm of fire, destroying even more githyanki as they scrambled to counter attack. On the ground, half dragon gith were barking out orders trying to create order from the chaos. Those commanders ignored the flames, but they had no troops left near them to command. Tents flashed into bright flares of canvas only to die out in an instant leaving only charred poles and faintly burning ropes behind. The fire storm rolled away, leaving only the warlocks and dragon-gith standing. One warlock attempted to use a horrid wilting on us, but we were particularly well prepared for that. The protections of the Light of Reason and Shatterspike turned the spell aside, and it had no effect at all.

I knew my warlock opponent was protected but I also knew that protection was nearly spent. But just for spite, I drew adamantium arrows anyway, and launched another full volley at him. Even as his body collapsed into an empty husk his face retained a hateful expression. Before he fell completely, five globes burst free of him. The other warlock, apparently hoping to avoid the same fate, spoke a word. The word made my mind reel despite all the layered protections. My ears were ringing and I needed a moment to clear my head but I was able to see the battle go on. Dravot attempted to remove the effect but was unsuccessful at lifting its hold. But he didn’t let the failure even faze him. As he finished the last words of the spell he turned on the massive ghostly apparition on the deck of the brig. He shot his faith forth like a lance of light and pierced the ghost, and the ether of its body unraveled and scattered on the wind.

From the starboard side, the warlock leveled his staff at Dravot and a ray shot forth, but the Light of Reason glowed softly and the ray faded as it came near. The warlocks were beginning to look displeased, and that did not change as Bolo uttered a Holy Word, and another five score githyanki were erased from the prime.

The dreadnaught finally reacted – these creatures seem quite dumb and this one did not move until perhaps given some order to do so. It thrust itself forward on small wings and crossed most of the clearing in seconds. The eye opened, and the magic all fell away, much as we had expected. I wasn’t sure if this was a boon or bane for us, but it didn’t sit well with Scorch at all. From his position high above, Scorch put it in the Maze. It wouldn’t be back for a long time.

As the dreadnaught disappeared, the arrows came. The half dragon githynaki had finally gotten enough order in their troops to have a volley fired at our ship. The arrows flew everywhere, not seeking any particular target. It wasn’t so much a matter of being hit as it was how many might find you. Even with my mind blurry, I found a hole in the storm and escaped with only two small cuts.

Valanthe reported over the link that there was one of the stealthy creatures on the field – like the one she killed before. It was fiddling with some kind of strange device. She didn’t think it could be good for us, whatever it was, and she dropped the creature with only a small gurgle escaping from it.

Then two more black enchanters came to the front of the cave with about twenty githyanki warriors behind them. They were carrying some kind of eggs. The site must have been a githyanki hatchery for some time now. (It was later explained to me that you can’t really reproduce on the Astral plane, and the gith commonly seeded hatcheries on the prime.) They were trying to escape with the young. Bolo was particularly disgusted by this, and made his displeasure known in the form of a quick spell. At first I thought nothing happened, but then I soon heard a tremor rip through the rock. The cave and surrounding rock suddenly shook and tore itself apart, collapsing on the githyanki and their eggs. The eggs were smashed, and the dark arcanists impaled on great spears of rock.

Despite all this, the githyanki spellcasters were still doing their best to hold us back. On the brig, a spectral hand was clawing at Aethramyr but having no real effect. A cone of cold also washed over the brig but it too was frustrated. Dravot and the paladins teleported to the casters and Zira quickly cut down one of them and I was sure the others wouldn’t last much longer. Apparently the half dragon githyanki felt the same way and they all shifted off the plane abandoning their bretheren. I understand the Lich Queen puts a high price on failure, so they may have only forestalled the inevitable. If they did not find death at the hands of their Queen, they would find it from us the next time.

Scorch seemed to be enjoying the whole thing a bit too much. He started cackling and the air shimmered as massive sonic explosions rippled across the battlefield. At least a hundred githyanki were shaken to pieces, burst apart or simply thrown into objects to fall limp like rag dolls.

Dravot knew the black flaming spellcasters were undead, and now he had the chance to find out just how powerful they were. He invoked Pelor’s wrath, and light again blasted forth from the lantern. They simply turned to dust, the black flames lingering in the air a few moments longer. There was now only one caster left – one of the duplicate enchanters I had seen. Dravot anchored it to the prime so we could ask some questions.

Valanthe was furiously working on the device that she had discovered the githyanki fiddling with. It had counters on it that seemed to be quickly winding down. This was not a promising sign. It took her a few tries but she stopped the device just before it did whatever it would have done.

The battle was over. It had truthfully lasted not even half a minute. Our brig crested the trees, and all manner of fire, sound, and divine wrath erupted in the small clearing. Now there were around 250 dead githyanki. Their commanders were dead, the half-dragons fled, and their eggs destroyed. More importantly, I hoped that over five hundred elven souls were now free to go to Arborea and be at peace. In less than a minute, we had destroyed the entire camp and nearly everyone in it, and I couldn’t help but smile at that. But this new perversion of the Lich Queen’s would have to be stopped. To do that we would need some information.

Scorch tried to dominate the black enchantress, but she resisted his efforts. I sighed and shrugged, then tried my simple charm spell. It didn’t surprise me at all that she resisted the enchantment. But since there was not much to lose, I tried again. And again. And again. On that last one, she finally yielded and became much more friendly. Scorch just rolled his eyes and wandered off to examine the device Valanthe had disarmed.

I started firing questions at her rapidly. Unfortunately she was not as informed as I might have hoped but she was useful nonetheless. The attacks on the prime were being launched from ships from Tu’Narath in the astral. The outpost is built on a dead god, and it is through that god that the Lich Queen is somehow reanimating her followers. The process uses the stolen elven souls. According to her, the souls are destroyed in the process and can never be freed back to what they once were. Other races are however adequate for consumption.

But I didn’t believe her. I sounded like so much dogma to me, and if the white globes were indeed freed souls, then her scripture was false. Dravot agreed – he was sure she was simply repeating dogma that she was taught and it could be entirely untrue.

I asked her how they persuaded the slaad to cooperate with them. The idea of the slaad working together in an organized fashion was far too confusing for me to grasp. She said that it was “The Black One” who convinced the slaad to aid them. It didn’t make much sense really. The “Black One” also made the bargain with the red dragons. It could be the Shadow King or something else entirely.

As for the situation on the prime, she said that their only other command post had recently been abandoned. She was originally stationed at that site. In hearing her say where it was, we realized it was only thirty miles from Ru’un Khazai. That would probably be why we couldn’t contact Meepo. (Aethramyr tried on the spot and learned Meepo was alive and unharmed and the gith had not discovered their lost fortress. Correction: Our fortress.) The other command post had been assaulted by a powerful group comprised mostly of humans. From her descriptions, we began to suspect that one of the Eight was involved.

I asked her how the githyanki were able to breach the barrier to planar travel. She just said “The Queen has powerful allies and they have made it so. Those who have raised the wall can leave it as well.”

I just rolled my eyes and said “I meant in a more physical sense. Is there some kind of token or phrase that allows one passage through? How does the barrier know whom to allow?” Unfortunately she did not know.

By then Scorch and Valanthe had finished fiddling. They said it was an astral bomb – had it gone off, it would have exchanged this entire area with a part of the astral, destroying anything in the area. Someone quipped “Too bad it’s not an exchange with the Positive Energy plane – we could drop it on Rauxes.”

Scorch got a light in his eye and started rubbing his hands and ran off muttering “Yes….positive energy… just change the focus…”

I interrogated the githyanki some more. She was a “Black Weave Warlock” she told me. As we talked, even she was beginning to find it odd that she could not recall her childhood memories. But she said that she would be reanimated if she died using the elven souls (other races were not suitable for some reason). But her lack of memories suggests she is some kind of copy, as does her presence in more than one battle at a time. Could she even be a weak copy of the Lich Queen herself? I wasn’t sure, but it had to be stopped regardless.

I dispatched the Swiftrunners to report, making sure they knew of the situation with the souls and bearing suggestions to the elven clerics that some souls that had been unreachable might now be free. I am hopeful that they will find out and we will know of those souls can be saved. We then scoured the battle site for anything useful while Dravot and Bolo tended to the elven prisoners. They had been drugged but were otherwise unharmed. Thanks to the air elementals and our fast action, we hadn’t lost a single one of them. We loaded them onto the brig and prepared to return to our camp.

The Black Weave Warlock asked “Did you have any other questions for me?”

“No, I think that is all,” I replied.

“I assume then that you shall be killing me so that I may be re-born by the Lich Queen to return to the battle?”

I hid my skepticism. “Yes, I wouldn’t want to prevent that would I?”

“You are a good friend,” she said. There are times when the cordial attitude created by the charm spell is quite unnerving. This was one of those times. “I shall beg the Queen, at the peril of my own life of course, to consume you last among your allies.”

“I thank you,” I replied, and then quickly fired two arrows at her, and she collapsed. Aethramyr looked at me, shocked at the apparent cold-blooded slaughter of a prisoner.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

As he said it, three white wisps of light pulled themselves free of the corpse, stretching out, spinning, twirling, spiraling up higher and higher.

Still staring at the freed souls, I replied “Freeing our people.”

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
This was rapidly becoming irritating, this movement. Each time the Lone Tooth drew near, the Druid was gone. He had an inate sense for the skin-changer, and he knew.

He had, at first, intended to approach him in a respectful manner, and hoped not to panic anyone. Even the most steadfast of guards tended to panic when the Lone Tooth appeared. Then, he contemplated waiting nearby, and then pouncing in to the village. Ho! How they would react, then. But he needed to hunt, and that was difficult here. Each time, he'd range in the snows, and avoid the blue hunters. He did not fear them, of course, but they seemed to be allies of the Skin-changer, or at least not enemies. It was not his place to decide to change that.

Soon, Bolo simply didn't come back. At all. This was of great concern to the Lone Tooth, but what choice did he have? No further direction came, so he took the village under his paw. Though they knew it not, he guarded them from the predators that hunted. The things that probed and waited, in the dark crags of blackened ice. But they were not lessening in number, for all he killed. This worried the Lone Tooth. It worried him deeply.

When the skythings came, the Lone Tooth could do little but watch them fly past. He was faster than any of his kind, but he was not meant for such weather. It taxed him. And a two-day run was still a long distance, even for one such as he. In the end, they had their own resources, and he was not needed. Not there, at least. The predators still were there, and beyond the village, there was little safety.

He had faced the pack, once, and the bear, twice. They were not clever, though they were clever for their kind. They did not know what to make of him, but did not harass him, when they realized he was no threat. He could have spoken with them, but to what end? They were not wise, even if they could talk.

And so, he waited.

Soon, he thought. Surely it will be soon.

WizarDru

Adventurer
The General watched them drag the remains from the Hall of Whispers with a look of suspicion. He stopped the two gish as they dragged the pile of bones and cloth. They showed no interest, and woudl be slain if they had. He was a General and Lord-Captain, and they lowly gish, an necessary embarrasment to the race.

He moved the cloth the examine it. "Gor'Thel", he thought, looking at the tortured face. There was no doubt, then. The queen had been....unhappy. He had never known that the unliving could suffer, especially those with no souls. He had learned differently.

"What are your orders?" He asked this in a perfunctory manner, and waited. They could scarce deny him this information, either, but caution was still called for.

"He is to be taken a Void chamber, General." So she would use him again, then. More usurper souls to burn, no doubt. Not for the first time, he was painfully aware that he grew close to the time of 'Honor'. Soon, he might have his opportunity to join Gor'Thel in service to the Queen. He gave no sign of the inner shudder he experienced at the thought.

He waved them away. Without a word, they continued on their task. Did they suspect him? Probably not, but he'd have some knights slay them and dispose of the bodies. It was safer that way.

If Gor'Thel was to be 'voided' once more...then the whole of the 3rd force must have been decimated by the worm-slayers. He must act. SOON.

Zad

First Post
Shadows Rise and Shadows Fall - Chapter 6

Shadows Rise and Shadows Fall - Chapter 6

OOC Notes:
Exp is 2000.

Loot:
Red dragon bookends (1200gp)
Three spellbooks
Scroll of Clone
6 potions (room 13)
4 potions (room 13)
1 potion (room 13)
Jar with red dragon flesh in liquid

This Week’s Adventure:
The carnage of the battle only really hit me after it was all over and we searched the site. We spread out to search and tried to avoid being overwhelmed by the smell of burnt flesh.

Bolo used an earth elemental form to enter the cave, and at one point came out holding two odd objects each the size of a basket. They were githyanki eggs that had somehow survived the earthquake. I didn’t really spare it much thought – the next step seemed simple enough to me, but Bolo thought otherwise. He was determined to somehow save them. He didn’t seem to clear on what he would do with them yet, but the earth had spared them and he was resolute in his belief that there was a reason for it.

The whole thing was so much nonsense. There were very real consequences to keeping those around let alone trying to raise them. Consequences I don’t think Bolo considered carefully. But this was his choice, not mine; his mind was set, and since I saw no obvious threat to Celene or us, I let him walk his path without argument even though I thought it folly. Dravot however was not satisfied and continued to press Bolo to consider the ramifications of this act if not for the eggs than for those in their vicinity of the planned home – the Land of Black Ice. Fortunately the battlefield was large enough that I could search other areas and be spared the noise.

It wasn’t long before we had gathered anything of use and departed the site. The elves were on board the brig and starting to feel better as we made ready to head for the camp. I was looking forward to our next move – an all out assault, but my mental planning was stopped short when Dravot’s head suddenly snapped up in alarm. He paused a moment then said “I’ve just gotten a message from the Land of Black Ice. A powerful spellcaster just assaulted the town and left.”

And here it had been such a fine morning. Feh.

Scorch had the means available so we decided to teleport to the village. The elves could pilot the brig back to the camp with some quick instruction, and they would be safe there. I felt bad that I was not seeing them to safety, but I knew that splitting our group now could be disastrous. So they went on to camp with the earth elementals to guard them and we went to the Land of Black Ice.

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting to find, but this wasn’t it. The Owl’s workshop was on fire, the roof half missing. Various people were under different enchantments. Hraldrin was feebleminded, drooling on the ground. Ember was asleep and The Owl was paralyzed. It was about then we noticed that nobody had been killed or hurt, just enchanted. Aethramyr said something about being grateful for small favors, and I agreed completely.

It turned out the attacker was Venn. The Owl told us he came to get his spellbook and several other items he had hidden away without her knowledge. He barely said a word while there and seemed distracted and distant. We had left Venn in the care of the dragons with the Theerpart still in him, and that was the last we knew of him.

I contacted Lord Gelban on the scale, and after some moments he responded.

“Lord Gelban, what do you know of the wizard Venn that we left in the dragons’ care? What has happened?”

I could almost hear Lord Gelban’s mental sigh. “How is it that any more you find out about these things just as I do?”

I smiled inwardly, pleased at the implications of that. Lord Gelban went on. “We had successfully removed the… package from him two weeks ago, and he was recovering. He was under guard, just in case. He woke up, tapped into some unknown power, and stymied the guards watching him and left. The package, however, is still safe. I am uncertain how he cast the spells that he did. Know that no one was hurt in his escape however. He was careful it seems about that. The Interdiction on travel has weakened some of the defenses around the demi-plane and he was able to depart more easily than he would have otherwise been.”

I related the events that had occurred to Lord Gelban. Since we had not recently been in contact, I also took time to update him on our recent efforts, which he received with both eagerness and approval. And I suspect some small measure of surprise.

In turn, he updated me on other matters across the continent. The reds have pulled back, and the greens are now the predominant threat. No city is currently occupied by a dragon force, save Greyhawk and the Greyhawk dragons have only tried to keep some kind of order there. The Scarlet Brotherhood seems to have completely abandoned Greyhawk but whether that’s due to the dragons is unclear.

Lord Gelban had little new information on Rauxes unfortunately, but I warned him that it may be a subject of keen interest soon. I hesitated to speak more openly but warned him there may be great evil spawning there soon. Lord Gelban took that in and said he would attempt to investigate and learn more soon. He also informed me the Silverring has gone back to sleep. I was slightly disheartened by this but at least now the Gilden was back with us.

We decided to spend the night in the Land of Black Ice. I had hoped to spend it at the elven camp but it seems events were set against that. In the morning, we planned to move the battle to the Astral and assault the githyanki outpost. We did not speak of it openly, but there was no need – we all knew where our path led.

But that was hardly the end of the day’s surprises. I can only speculate that Bolo has been profoundly shaken by his meeting with the Great Ash, and in his reflections on that event has taken his mind to new levels of consciousness. And in this mental reverie, he reached a conclusion: our group was just not weird enough. This must be what happened. What else could it possibly be? What else explains it? Perhaps it’s a matter of balance – somewhere, things are very, very normal, so there must be some concentrated strangeness to balance the scales. Bolo had gone to find his parents who were out walking, and when he returned, there was a large lion with him. Not that most lions talk, or had the touch of the celestials. After all, a normal lion wouldn’t be weird enough now would it? The lion’s name is Lone Tooth. He was sent by Ehlonna (or was it Beory?) to help Bolo. I just nodded, dumbstruck.

Somewhere in the vastness of the prime, there is a very, very normal place. I wonder what it’s like.

In the wee hours just before sunrise, magical alarms were triggered. Two creatures approached the sunken bowl of the village, walking openly not attempting to hide themselves. We converged on them carefully, and over the dawn breeze I could make out words as they whispered to each other. I couldn’t understand the words, but I recognized the language.

It was githyanki.

They dropped their hoods and stopped. One was githyanki, of some rank, with a silver sword across his back. The other was githzerai. I wasn’t sure what brought these two racial enemies together but I was sure it had some significance. Since they were clearly here to talk, that’s what we did.

The githyanki said “We are messengers of Zeth’rrr of Tu’narath, General of the Shadow Void.”

The githzerai added “I am part of a group called the Sashal-khou.”

They paused looking at each other a moment, choosing their words carefully. The githyanki chose to speak first. “Not all githyanki willingly follow the Queen. Many would see their races rejoined and the fight pressed against the Mind Flayers – the true enemy. We have… sympathizers within the Queen’s structure. You are the first chance we have seen to possibly throw off her yoke. General Zeth’rrr has an interest in our organization. I take a great risk by telling you that he secretly sponsors it. He has asked each of us to attend this meeting that you would know the sincerity of this message. You will no doubt wish to employ divinations to verify what we have said.”

We made no pretense of courtesy – we exchanged thoughts quickly and silently over the scales. Magic was used and unsurprisingly, they were what they appeared to be, and seemed to be telling the truth. Or at least the truth as they knew it.

Their purpose came to me as they spoke, clear as crystal. And from the reactions of my fellows, they saw it precisely as I did. Some gith wanted to revolt but they could not. They see in us a way to break free, and they are taking it. The obvious question was: could they be trusted, or were they leading us towards a trap. Fortunately this obvious question had an obvious answer, predetermined from the moment the conversation begun. I knew we would end up allying with them. I knew we would trust them. I also knew they would likely betray us later, and that we would deal with that when it happened.

The githyanki started again, and I realized something. While all of this was obvious to me, it wasn’t obvious to him. He was still in the act of carefully proposing, of skirting words, of picking phrases. “Simple divinations have revealed you plan to assault the astral fortress soon. Perhaps you would even succeed. But if you do this, the Queen will be prepared for you. She will be entrenched in the city and you will have to overcome great resistance. We can offer you little in the way of direct battle power, but we can give you information. We can offer ways you can prepare yourselves for the assault. Should you attack, you would have to root out the Queen in the Palace of Whispers, and She would be surrounded by her black mages and cloaked in the power of the One in the Void. We can offer you a way past some of these defenses.”

A simple “Go on,” from me was enough to indicate our interest in his proposal. Truthfully I just wanted to know the particulars – what, where, when. But he believed we needed to be convinced, so we just let him go on.

“The Queen has become… erratic.” This in itself was a great ordeal for him to say. “She seeks the remaining part of the One in the Void which was taken from her a hundred years ago. Or was it two? One of our order stole one of the eyes. He took it to another outpost on the astral, and surrounded it with a storm that none could penetrate.”

I looked back coolly and said “Karloth?”

The gith both stopped in their tracks. “You have heard of him?”

I raised an eyebrow and shrugged then motioned for them to go on. The last thing I wanted was them to know we knew anything more about it. An artifact of great power hidden in Ruun-Khazai right under our noses was one thing, but we didn’t need them to know it was here.

The gith were confused but went on. “In any case, the Queen seeks this lost eye to further Her power. The Queen…. She did not always devour the strongest of our race. While She has made it dogma, some remember that this was not Gith’s intent when she liberated us.”

I asked about the Queen’s allies – we already knew that she was working with others of late, but I was hoping for more details. They told us of a seer who is friendly to their cause. She has told them that the Queen was visited by “The Long Black Being” – a creature from the spirit world, a foul malfeasance. Perhaps it was a creature of the abysss, or perhaps the Shadow King, I’m not sure. He brought a plan and allies – mercenaries. While the gith have worked with the slaad before, they had never seen ones like these before. They do not know what the goal of these creatures is, but the alliance has made her bold, perhaps foolish.

“We can think of only one motive the Queen would have for cooperating with these allies. One thing that would make her risk this: immortality. Even in Her current form, she is vulnerable. She would seek to become the first god native to the astral. Were She to locate the missing eye, She could activate the power of the One in the Void. We do not know if this would make Her a deity or just give Her the power of one. But every gith would be Her unwilling slave if this were so. We are not happy as She is now. Were this to happen….”

This was interesting but our minds were clearly focused on the implementation of such plans. Dravot asked “Where is her phylactery?” The gith were slightly surprised, not so much at the question so much as his directness.

They replied “There are several false ones and they are moved frequently. We are not sure which is the true phylactery. Her ghost knights guard them all and they move within Tu’Narath. She could not bear to have it far from her.”

I asked “Have the Queen’s plans changed given the destruction of your forces on the Prime?”

While they answered, they were certainly speculating more than answering from direct knowledge. “We believe the Queen was not expecting this level of resistance. We are unsure if She will be willing to commit more forces and use more violent methods. But we are worried about how many gith will die in such an attempt. This is why we come to you. We would spare githyanki lives. Were you to assault directly, you might succeed or you might fall. But surely many gith would die in the process.”

“And what of the elven souls being stolen?”

“We are not sure exactly what happens or how this is done. We believe the Queen has tapped into the power of the One in the Void and uses the usurp… the souls of your people to re-infuse her dark servants. The souls do not return after the servants are destroyed, but nor do we believe they are released. We have heard a phrase from one or two who have returned from the Void Chamber – ‘The bargain must be kept.’”

If the gith noticed us all shuddering, he did not inquire about it.

“Very well,” I said. “How do we do this thing? What is your plan?”

The githyanki were again surprised. I think they expected to have to do a great deal more talking to persuade us to help them. But we were all resolved to it, so it was time to get to the details.

“The General of the Shadow Void is one of us. He is a very powerful member of the military and responsible for the defenses that surround the outpost. A city of this size cannot be completely closed – materials are needed etc. There are ways that the General can sneak us into the city and into the palace. This would spare gith lives and prevent damage to the city.”

Dravot said “We understand the general idea. What exactly are you ready to do for us?”

The gith laid out the specifics – we would approach the outpost and use the signaling device on the brig to tell their people of our presence. They would escort us in past the defenses and into the palace. I must admit that I was looking forward to a direct assault on the city, partly in vengeance for the destruction sown in my homeland. But after hearing them detail some of the defenses, I was quickly warming to the idea of sneaking in.

We would need disguises while we were on the brig. The brig can be moved to the astral via a special gate. There was one at the command post we destroyed but the pieces are buried in the earthquake. The gith agents promised to send people to activate it for us, and we could then sail the brig into the astral and to the outpost. How close we arrive would depend ultimately on how damaged the gate is.

And with that it was done. We agreed to meet them at the battle site in some few hours. We made our preparations and then returned to the elven camp. Fortunately, the elves we rescued had arrived safely. I updated Aran’gel and then we set off on the brig back to the scene of the battle.

When we arrived, the githyanki were already present. The githzerai we met the prior night was there along with two new githyanki. While the githyanki were very nervous, the githzerai was the very essence of composure. Bolo went back into the cave and began removing the arc-shaped sections of the gate from the rubble and the githyanki went to work.

In an hour, the gate was assembled and ready. There were some problems with the connecting bolts that held the pieces together, but Aethramyr somehow magically fashioned one to replace a broken part, and the gate became operational. The bolts turned into a liquid metal, and then space blurred within the archway revealing a off white landscape filled with billowing cloudy shapes.

We established our disguises with various illusions or shape changing, and then slid the brig into the archway. We emerged on the far side, less than an hour from the outpost by Scorch’s reckoning. The astral was as strange as ever, and time felt slowed down, sped up, and standing still all at the same time. I was disturbed by the sounds the last time I was here, but this time I realized what it was – there was no echo. I can’t say as I missed it but here we were, back again.

We sailed peacefully through the astral as we glided silently to our destination. After a time we noticed defense patrols – they paid little mind to us – we seemed proper and we were already inside their outer perimeter. It wasn’t long before we came into sight of the massive outpost – I estimate it was half the size of Dyvers. We could make out many floating defensive outposts around it orbiting slowly in the astral sea. As instructed, we signaled and waited. Soon we were directed to one of the floating towers and the ship was boarded and inspected. From the speed of the inspection, the guards were clearly under orders not to look too closely.

We were directed to the General’s Tower – a large building in the city proper. In the yard below were hundreds of githyanki troops training. Even from above I could hear the clashing sounds of swordplay and practice. The parapets were lined with the skulls of mind flayers, and the hatred of the illithid hung in the air. We landed at a small private dock and were quickly escorted in to see the General.

The large tower was very austere, the only decoration being several tapestries depicting battles with the illithid. (After our inventory of Ruun-Khazai, we were quite familiar with the type.) We were led to a circular chamber with a mosaic of a fearsome red dragon and war banners lining the walls. Two githyanki stood in the room. One wore black armor, and had a black gem in place of one eye, with a raven on his shoulder. The other had deep vermillion robes embroidered with black symbol.

The armored man stood forward and said “I am Zeth’rrr, General of the Shadow Void, Warmaster of the Githyanki.”

We nodded and said little. I had no doubt that they were aware of who we were, or at least as aware as they cared to be.

There was some brief conversation that followed. I recall particularly the robed figure remarking of the Queen “She is restoring the essence of the dead god so she may steal it. And She is committing abominations that I cannot abide. She takes githyanki eggs and breeding stock and creates the duthka gith. It sickens me.” I recall this clearly because it put a name to the half dragons we had seen but also because it was then I realized that this creature was no githyanki but a red dragon disguised. Apparently the worms have had their fill of the Queen as well. I balked at the notion of helping the reds, but it seemed our interests were aligned in this.

The General added, “As for the Queen’s defenders, there are many protections. The undead mages are even greater in power within the Palace. The place itself is enchanted with the voices of the whispering dead – the weak willed may find it difficult just to walk those halls. There are many powerful beings under her control including some of the undead. You are not safe in the assumption that you can defeat everything you encounter within the palace. There are also several failed breeding projects and several that are in motion – you should avoid these. She is served by a collection of Ch’rai – undead wizards. Greatest amongst these is Zan’krast, a powerful sorcerer with no legs.”

[Originally, Wizardru said “with no arms or legs”. And someone piped up “I’m guessing he has the still spell feat.”]

Time was against us and I was beginning to feel more exposed the longer we waited. “So how do we enter the palace?” I asked.

“There is one main entrance, and you will not breach that. However in the courtyard there is a statue of the great one, the liberator. Stand before it and place your hand upon it and speak her name, and you will be transported into the citadel. My forces can escort you that far, and I will arrange a gap in the patrols for you to slip through. After that, you will be on your own. You should know that teleportation is possible within most of the palace, however the moment a living creature who is not githyanki enters the palace, the Queen will know. They will all know. I know you have little faith in scrying magic but you have used it at need. There is no barrier against such things in the palace, however the Queen will instantly know should you do this. Be aware.”

Dravot asked, “What of our captured friends, and what of retreat? Will the Queen flee?”

The General was prepared with an answer. “I have heard that you have inquired about the astral flotsam. They will likely be kept somewhere in the palace but it’s hard to say where. As for flight, the Queen has too much invested in this place. She will not flee. She cannot. But know that the Queen is no mean threat. She is powerful. Your best chance is to locate her and separate her from any others.”

The General turned to the dragon. “I understand you have one more piece of information they would consider valuable that even I do not know.”

“Indeed,” the dragon answered. “I know where the phylactery can be found. It is hidden in the library. It is concealed by magic but fleshlings of your power should have no difficulty finding it once there. I also tell you that the Queen bears the Sceptre of Rueiworeu. It is a powerful magic item, symbolic of the bond between the gith and the dragons. Be wary of it. I cannot tell you of its specific power but it is to be feared nonetheless.”

The gith and dragon had little else to say, and we had little else to ask. The General did seem to have good motivations for wanting the Queen removed, but I still had no doubt that there would be some kind of reversal of this good faith before we left this plane. Doubly so when one considers the red dragons, some of whom no doubt want vengeance for having Lord Gelban snatched from under their snouts. But that was for later. We were escorted out, and shown to the Palace of Whispers. The General’s people did their job well for our journey was swift and unnoticed. The statue sat as described, surrounded by a vast necropolis of mind flayer bones and skulls. As we approached the statue, the voices began whispering…

The statue was hard to miss. It was a hundred feet tall if it was an inch, and made from what seemed to be a single block of polished obsidian. Gith stood, her great sword pointed downward, the point teen feet from the ground over a circular symbol. We stood upon it and spoke her name, and appeared in the palace.

Strangely, there were no guards here. The room was dark but Dravot remedied that. It was an unfurnished obsidian chamber and there were five portals leading out. But each one flowed with astral ectoplasm. The viscious fluid flowed down the portals and we were unsure what would happen if we touched it.

But now inside the palace, the whispers were much louder, much closer, much more maddening. Oddly the echo-less quality of the astral was diminished here, but that seemed a poor trade for the wailing voices, continually hissing, moaning, and biting at us. We each needed a moment to steel ourselves, but we all shook off the powerful voices and focused on what we came to do. Bolo spotted a concealed doorway, and since it was the only thing that was not covered in flowing ectoplasm, we opted to try that.

The next room we found was nearly unremarkable, save that it had a strange egg in it. It was eight foot tall, five foot wide, and reminded me of the Cuckoo or Egg of Coot. A silvery light glowed from the interior, but there was no sign of its purpose or function. Another room had a set of spellbooks and some other minor items. We covered several rooms in succession, not yet finding any defenders nor any sign of our quarry. Valanthe proceeded with her usual skill and care and we moved from chamber to chamber, secret door to secret door for a time.

But that couldn’t last. We slipped out of a yet another secret door (still doggedly avoiding gooey portals). The room beyond was quite large. Eight pillars surrounded an octagon set into the floor. On it was a column of silvery light with motes of black energy. Inside the column was a grey slaad. Surrounding it were eight figures. Six were githyanki warriors, standing silently. One was a githyanki with no legs, bobbing in the air. He bore a red cloak and a staff capped with a flickering diamond. The eighth figure was a beholder, with four mechanical arms protruding from the underside of its belly, the metal forming a protective armor around it.

If we’re going to start somewhere, I guess it may as well be with the most powerful sorcerer guard the Queen has.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads