• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizarDru

Adventurer
pogre said:
I would love to see these! I am running the City of Barakas right now, and oddly enough I just finished up some more sewer pieces ;).

You may remember my older sewer tiles:
view one
view two

I did the new ones in a similar fashion.
Valanthe did a bunch of pictures of the Meepite's minis this past weekend, but has some more to do before she puts up a retrospective. She also did a sewer piece from a piece Scorch created. Scorch did a couple himself, but they're looking at different approaches (Scorch painted the sewer base before the resin, so Val tried something other than what she had originally planned.

sewer_test_02.jpg

sewer_test_03.jpg

These pictures were taken before some exacto/dremel work was done on the piece. I'll let Val go into details, although she probably won't be able to comment until the evening.

minis

Hi,

Because you asked for it Pogre :D, I thought I'd start posting pics of the minis of the Meepites. These are wonderfully painted by Zad and Scorch.

The first is Kayleigh, painted by her player, Zad. Ain't she a beaut!

meepo_kayleigh01.jpg

Next up is the current Scorch (v3.0), painted by his player, Scorch.

meepo_scorch01.jpg

Scorch (v2.0), painted by Scorch.

meepo_scorch02.jpg

Scorch (v1.0), painted by Scorch.

meepo_scorch03.jpg

And here is Valanthe (v2.0) with Shadowcut, painted by Scorch.

meepo_val01.jpg

meepo_val02.jpg

and Val's shadow companions, Berlden, Verilunda, and Little Shade (painted by me).

meepo_shadow_trio.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get to photo the other charactrers mini's (Aethramyr and Cresent, Dravot and cohorts, and Bolo) post them here in the next week.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Undying - Chapter 8

Undying – Chapter 8

OOC Notes:
Exp is 3,100 for 22nd level characters, 2765 for 23rd.

This Week’s Adventure:
We rapidly rose through the water and headed towards Dyvers. On the way, I began sorting through my admittedly limited arcane training trying to think of every transmutation spell I could. We were getting low on transportation magic, but a wind walk spell provided by the binder let us move to Dyvers fast enough to at least have a hope of helping Windsaber repel whatever Gulthias Horror had been sent to distract us.

We covered the distance quickly, and yet agonizingly slowly at the same time. At first it seemed as though there was a fog near town, but then the horrible truth became apparent. It was a swarm of small insects. Thousands of small bugs the size of a finger were consuming flesh and vegetation alike outside the town wall. Windsaber was there doing his best to distract them but there was nothing he could do against such an enemy.

And he wasn’t alone. Aethramyr, Valanthe and I were at a loss for any way to repel this invasion. We stood and watched while Scorch and Bolo took the shape of gold dragons. Dravot joined them with the power of the binder, and the three of them moved towards town releasing cones of fire at the swarming bugs.

The fire outraged the swarm and they began moving towards the dragons. Fortunately they were extremely slow, and the dragons were able to keep ahead of the swarm for the most part and still keep breathing fire. The fire was not having nearly enough effect however and we began searching for more options. Sonic meteors, blade barriers and other spells all bit into the swarm, but again their effect was blunted. The trio even tried some different draconic forms to try other breath weapons. Suddenly a part of the swarm popped out and reappeared around Scorch and began biting at him.

With the swarm among them, Bolo tried a new form and became a noble salamander, but the blazing skin was not a deterrent to the vicious insects. Bolo then…

Well he…

That is to say…

He did something very Bolo-ish.

He summoned a fire elemental. This, in itself, seemed fairly logical – being only energy, the bugs could not harm it. But Bolo soon realized what I knew immediately – fire elementals cannot fly. And hovering some fifty feet up, the fire elemental was placed in a rather untenable position for one of its kind.

Lacking any other options, it did the only thing it could do. It fell.

It fell through the swarm, burning some insects as it went. It hit the lake and there was a vast billowing cloud of steam. I was sure that Bolo had executed another helpless elemental, but I was quite wrong. They were only barely over the water, and the elemental simply waded a few steps to shore and continued to engulf as many insects as it could.

Dravot must have been having a conversation with the binder and with a nod of his draconic head, a spell washed out. The swarm was blasted away from him forty feet in all directions. The creatures were not harmed per se, but they were seriously disrupted and scattered widely. Given the speed at which they moved, it took them some time to re-orient and establish the group, during which time fiery breath washed over them repeatedly. The swarm never quite managed to re-assemble as the breath weapons finally burned them away.

As we rejoined Dravot, Scorch and Bolo I asked Dravot “What was that?”

He just smiled. “Repel Wood.”

I scanned the skies to see if the battle between heavens and hells still raged. I could see several devas and solars in the ethereal observing, but the battle seemed to have degraded to a stand off and there was no open fighting. The Judges were still changing in their new aspect but they were clearly holding the line and seemed to have about the same numbers as the celestial host. With nothing further to worry about there, we returned to the lake shore where we had left Ralishaz.

We could see the waters of the lake growing calmer before we could actually see Ralishaz and his party. Aylwyn and Meltorannan was still there as were his Avatars. Ralishaz did not seem to note our presence but the avatars nodded. Meltorannan was even more changed. His armor was gone, replaced witih a grey toga with a hood down around his neck. His wings were smaller and now completely grey. His face was becoming more expressionless, moving toward being a mask.

Chance said “You’ve done well. I’m pleased to see your success, as is my Lord.” Gamble just quietly watched us while Cheat expressed active disinterest.

Ralishaz turned his head ever so slightly over his shoulder. “You have disconcerted your demonic foe I am certain. I would ask you if things went well but I know that they did. You are I see relatively unharmed. I would suspect that for the most part Orcus should be inconvenienced for some time. As should Fraz, but I am also of the mind that we have not completely untangled everything.”

I shrugged. “If we have prevented all out war, then that is no small victory.”

Ralishaz cocked his head and said to no one in particular. “I shall grant it, for I am intrigued. You have ten minutes.” Then to us “Someone wishes an audience with you. Dravot if you could please hood the lantern.”

We exchanged wary looks among ourselves. “Who?”

“Rhyxali.”

At the name, Aylwyn’s face took on a sour look. Rhyxali is a demon princess. If she wanted to talk to us, I had a hard time believing it would be for any good reason.

Dravot acquiesced, though hesitantly. A shadow appeared on the ground, and it deepened and then rose to take three dimensions. The shadow rose up forming into the shape of a thin winged demon. It looked around, then took its hands and pulled it’s mouth open wide and began vomiting black bile on the ground. It continued disgorging the substance for some time and it slowly took shape growing taller until it was nine feet high. It ultimately shaped itself to a vaguely feminine form, completely black until a pair of white rings formed the outline of eyes.

A bit over-much of an entrance really.

I am known as Rhyxali. It has come to my attention that you are… lost in the darkness. Something of which I have much knowledge.

Dravot was miffed at that. “Excuse me?”

Even you shining one have need of knowledge. I am well versed in providing such things.

Valanthe asked “What knowledge have you come to sell?”

What knowledge would you enjoy? Fraz’ intentions? The true nature of the blood war? Why the dark god went mad? I can share all these things and more.

Valanthe was far from tempted. “And what do you get out of all this?”

I am a broker of information. Interested types, such as Scorch, consult me or my minions on a routine basis.

I was having a hard time figuring out which of our group was more cynical about this offer. I asked “So what is the price?”

Well, souls are the standard commerce in such things, but I understand creatures such as you are squeamish. Nor would I ask for the binder, fear not. But perhaps a mutual problem… I can remove the problem at Ruun’Khazai.

I smiled inwardly for a few moments, but the truth is I no longer cared what happened at Ruun’Khazai. And if the problem was to be removed, I would take care of it myself. But in the conversation that followed, Rhyxali continued to be extremely evasive about the question of price. Repeatedly she was asked, and each time she failed to provide a direct answer.

What if I were to reveal the location of several devils still on the Prime. They are too powerful for the new protector to deal with yet and far beyond his Judges to dismiss. Perhaps I could share this information with you.

Aethramyr was growing tired of the evasion. “What’s this ‘perhaps’ nonsense? What’s. Your. Price.”

It is possible that we could work out an arrangement…

Not the answer Aethramyr wanted. “Dravot, where’s your lantern?”

Dravot started smiling and holding it up and Rhyxali tried to re-assert control of the situation.

There are three powerful devils on the prime. If you were to remove them, it would be a boon for yourselves, for Ralishaz, and yes, also to me. In return for this, I will give you some information that you would find valuable.

We debated a bit about this proposal. The offer was certainly only designed to benefit her – any gain on our part was incidental. There were of course the ethical issues to be considered. But it did have the benefit of being some kind of trouble we could cause for Fraz, and it would be a new source of information for us. Rhyxali was insistent that we accept the contract, and at the same time was equally evasive about what would be required and what the reward would be. She was in a mood to negotiate and to be extremely subtle. We, on the other hand, were in no mood for it at all, and ranged from blunt and direct to downright hostile.

You must accept the terms of the contract. If I divulge more, you will be implicitly accepting the terms.

“In that case I think there’s something else you should consider,” I said to her.

And what would that be?

“Your ten minutes are up.”

We turned to Ralishaz, who was still staring over the water. But he held up one hand and was ticking off fingers. 3… 2… 1….

Rhyxali silently dissolved back into the pool of shadow. If we were to pursue this relationship, it would have to be later and after we knew better as a group where we stood.

No sooner was the audience done than it was apparently time for another one to begin. But this one was not with us, though we were allowed to witness it.

It started when Scorch’s soul was casually torn out of his body and flung into a small rock. I don’t think it was intended to land in the rock as such. Merely that it was thrown aside and the rock just happened to be in the way. There was no physical change, other than his body began glowing with an eldritch power as Boccob settled in to the temporary receptacle while a small rock rolled angrily around his ankles.

Then the shadow demon, still lingering absently after being used for Rhyxali’s arrival, shifted. It reformed itself into a tall willowy woman in black robes, and Wee Jas stepped up to Ralishaz.

Last to arrive was Pelor, who shifted the aspect of Aylwyn becoming and older, kind man with a long beard.

Dravot and Aethramyr offered their respects to Pelor, who put a gentle hand on their shoulder and lifted them up. As he did, they seemed to shine. At Pelor’s touch, their wounds healed, and even their clothes looked clean and new. When Pelor spoke, I heard him in elven but this was surely unique to each listener.

For myself, I was too much in shock to know quite what to do.

We have received your emissaries Ralishaz, and I come to speak for those of my mindset. Those who seek only to improve things.

Wee Jas was cold but not entirely disinterested. We all seek to improve things in our own way. However we have also received said emissaries and I am allowed to speak for quite a few beings, some of whom I find distasteful but as long as I am in this position I shall maintain it.

Boccob on the other hand seemed bored. Yes, yes, terribly tiresome. Can we dispense with this? We have all agreed to the new rules have we not?

Pelor looked very patient. I have been commissioned to speak for others. While we do not prefer the exact nature of the arrangement, we are certainly willing to allow it.

Yes I knew what your answer was. What about you bitch?

Wee Jas showed no sign of offense. You know you’re still as much to blame for it as I am.

Oh haven’t we gotten OVER this yet? It’s been TWO MILLENIA woman!

Nevertheless, I have spoken to the less savory elements. They are more than willing, perhaps too willing to agree to this enforcement measure of yours. Provided that the prime is unsealed, and that equal access is given, your little wildling enforcement is approved of. We will not get in the way.

While it did not sit well with any of us – in fact it pains me – if equal access is given, I suppose greater harm would come if we do not agree. Therefore the deities that see the right of things are willing to capitulate to some degree. Some degree. Eventually we will fill up the world with so much good you will drown in it.

Ok fine. I already said yes. So the consensus is yes? We go ahead with this?

Ralishaz said quietly “Agreement has been reached. I will enforce this through my Judges and myself. I disassociate myself from direct worship and I assume the mantle. I will become the deity of the Prime and I will enforce certain rules to insure this never occurs again. And I will be strict.” At that, he gave a slightly different look to each of the three representatives.

Pelor turned to Dravot and the rest of us. You should avert your eyes.

Needing no further prompting we all did so. I could feel massive waves of pure power flowing from Ralishaz’ direction. There were thousands of sounds, strange feelings from the comfortable to the oppressive. The ground and air itself changed somehow, and my eyes began watering. Finally the sound stopped and the air stilled.

Scorch was back in his own body, his clothes looking somehow more rumpled than before. Wee Jas began melting away, leaving only bones and a slick black goo. Pelor however remained. He asked Ralishaz I have some things to discuss. May I have some free time? Ralishaz gave him a wave and turned back to the water.

Pelor made sure we were all standing and healed. He looked to Dravot. Are you well?

“I am.”

You have done well in Our eyes. You have served us with little information, as it should be. It is your faith that defines you. You must learn this lesson well. You must pass it on to others. You must teach the boy – he is important.

I have a duty for you. It is not pressing but it is important nonetheless. I have petitioned to return Brindinford to its proper place. It will be at some small risk, but that is the way of things. But what is important are its guardians. They do not understand. Even Meltorannan does not understand. When they did what they did… they sought to protect you. They have great love for you, as do I. When they saw Brindinford might become a victim solely to anger you, they lost sight of the greater picture. Understand that those that follow in my faith will come to a good end, even if their body is strewn across a temple. Those that died came to me. Do not despair for the loss of their bodies. What is important is that those that rebelled and hid Brindinford think they cannot come back. They were protecting Brindinford away from the Prime, and so they were not changed like Meltorannan was – they were not here to accept the agreement. They are truly orphans. They feel great shame, and they consider themselves now truly alone and outside. I would take them back. Please ask them to come to me. They respect and love you. They will listen to you.

You have labored long without guidance. I apologize but I cannot directly interfere with some things. Ralishaz is about to impose a balancing effect on the Prime. Some of the very understanding of the rules are changing. It is difficult to explain what will happen. Understand there are no longer the certainties you have come to expect when magic, divine or arcane, is applied. And even at least above ground, about the nature of places. Large urban centers are somewhat protected, but there will be planar shifts where there are not enough people to warrant that protection.

We have agreed to equal representation. Summoning will no longer be a simple matter. You were concerned about the enforcement of the rules. We have made concessions to make it more stringent. In the end we believe that those that seek salvation will find it, but not everyone seeks the light and so we must bring it to them. I would give you more information but I am not sure of the exact nature of things. We have an agreement in principle but the details are still being discussed.

Dravot asked humbly “But my Lord, who watches the watchmen?”

It is a fair question. We have an agreement, but it has been broken once. If it happens again, there will be no third. However the Judges are beyond reproach. They are after all of My host. And they acted in the passion of faith, but in faith nonetheless. None of the Judges were taken from the enemy hosts, therefore they will be truly independent. Should something change that, We would sweep down like a fiery host, and I would be wroth. Pelor eyed Ralishaz, not threatening but sending a clear message.

Ralishaz, if he was even listening, had no reaction or reply.

Remember the most important tenet of my faith: We will drown out evil with our actions. We will make so much light that no shadow can be cast. Keep to that tenet more than any other.

But you must also tend to the boy. You are My chosen avatar on this world. You are My mighty sword. He is… my voice, my shield. He is not indestructible or invulnerable, nor is he meant to be. Remind him of this.

“Recent events have taken my attention from one of my sworn purposes – my grandfather. Can You tell me anything to help me stop him?”

Your grandfather has forged alliances with beings in the underdark where I have little knowledge. There is no light. But even now he makes alliances he does not intend to keep. Your grandfather… it saddens me how he is driven. Though he was turned into that abomination, he still seeks to protect you. In a perverse way he protects your father and he seeks to protect you.

“I sensed this.”

Your grandfather was turned to an animus by Ivid and demonic agents posing as agents of Hextor. They were sent by Our Enemy, but I will speak not his name*. Your father was not allowed to go to Rauxes for fear he might become a tool. Your grandfather paid for that as Ivid began turning his generals, his enemies and his friends into animus. But he suffers what most of that kind do – singular devotion to some particular task or ideal. Many of Ivid’s generals still retained their brilliance in death, but lacked the focus they had in life. This undermined much of their ability. Your grandfather was a rare animus – he gained free will. But he hid it well, and made his plans. He was seeking to create a power base to challenge Rauxes when I directed Bellamy to contain him. I did not expect the binder to be unleashed but there were other things I was concerned with at the time. Your grandfather seeks now to become a demi-god replacing Iuz, not for power but to remove the influence of certain kinds of evil that order may be restored. A twisted order, but order nonetheless. All of this lead to his goal. You have unseated this, so he pursues other ways of stealing his power. He is singularly devoted to destroying Iuz; it is part of themania which guides him. His more immediate motives are unclear – the binders have made him difficult to track. However they damage him even as they empower him. None of the lore tells that the binders are dangerous to the user. He has gained power but at the expense of new vulnerabilities. He also does not realize that your brother also has free will.

Know this Dravot: your father is not lost, nor is your brother. Some part of your grandfather refuses to complete the process. It can be reversed. He convinces himself he does not have the time or the resources, but it is a lie. At his core, he still wants to make things right and this prevents him from completing the work. They may yet be turned back to us.

Then Pelor turned to me, much to my surprise. I had been keeping a discrete distance allowing Dravot to speak to his god in a semblance of privacy, even though His every word was clearly heard. Kayleigh, I said I speak for several like-minded beings. Your Lord is one of them. He apologizes for not being able to speak to you earlier but there are rules. Understand it is no accident that you have become the being you are now, that you have gained the nock, that you have risen to the level of power that few of your race have ever achieved. You are blessed in his eyes, and while I disagree, he believes you do not need the same degree of guidance that I give My flock. Your family and your nation stand protected, though it may not always seem so. But remember that part of that protection is you.

I just nodded and curtsied. There were a million things I could say, a million questions I could ask, but they don’t really matter now. There was one however that was bothering me. “If I may, what of the souls I brought to Arborea? Were they returned to the fold?”

Yes, they were cleansed My child. As for the others, some are lost to us. They were siphoned off to the Far Realms. Those are lost for now, and we are not sure how to get them back. But since Ralishaz has sealed the prime, the loose ones have floated about. Some where misappropriated in Fraz’ failed gambit, sent to evil places such as the Shadow King and his true master.

“I am glad at least a few could be redeemed. My thanks.”

Dravot asked one more question. “My Lord, if I may, I would ask Your blessings for my coming wedding.”

Pelor smiled a wide, beaming, proud smile. Of course My Son. You have them. You shall have joy and happiness together. Oh, and tell Thorkeld that he would have had them too, if he had asked. His smile turned chiding but no less warm.

Pelor withdrew, and Aylwyn returned to his normal form. The sun seemed to shine a little dimmer with his departure but it was a small price to pay for his visit. Then with a start I remembered Lord Gelban. Hoping he was well, I tried to contact him. I was able to reach him and we arranged to meet the next night for dinner to discuss the details.

Feeling completely overwhelmed, we were at a loss as to what to do next. Ralishaz offered a kind suggestion and opened three portals – one to Ruun’Khazai, one to the palace in Celene and one to the Glitterhame. We went through them according to our needs, and each tried to take in the events of the day, and with it the meaning of faith.

* Pelor did not speak the name, but there was no doubt that the enemy was Orcus.

Last edited:

More character mini goodness!

Here are some more of the character's minis that I got to snap this past weekend.

The Paladin that needs killin', Aethramyr, painted by his player and Scorch.

meepo_aethramyr01.jpg

and his faithful mount, Cresent, painted by Scorch.

meepo_cresent01.jpg

meepo_cresent02.jpg

Next, the shining light of Pelor himself, Dravot (shining light not included). I am not sure who painted him.

meepo_dravot01.jpg

meepo_dravot02.jpg

Alternate version Kayleigh, painted by her player, Zad.

meepo_kayleigh02.jpg

Last edited:

Aethramyr

First Post
Buh?

Valenthe: The Paladin that needs killin', Aethramyr, painted by his player?

Uh....close. Credit where credit is due. I did the basic coloring, but it was scorch's Talent with a brush that fixed it up.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Undying - Epilogue

Undying – Epilogue – Part I

OOC Notes:
The following few installments represent the end of Undying. No experience for these – it’s mostly clean-up work. Some of them will make better reading than others I’m afraid. I hope to make up for this first part with the others.

Part I:
The day had been something beyond my worst nightmares but for me it was not over. I couldn’t consider this done until I spoke to the Queen and told her of these startling developments. Ralishaz’ gate put me in the palace and I was before the Queen shortly after that. There was a council session underway, which I considered convenient as it would save me gathering people. I was too tired to even feign an apology as I walked through the doors, tried to conceal how tired I felt.

The assembled advisors stopped cold when I entered the room. Most of them looked uncomfortable and scared. Even Aran’gel looked tense until he saw me. I think he expected me to look the same but when he saw how tired I looked, he relaxed considerably.

“Well, I suspect we’re about to find out what the hell is going on.”

I flopped into a chair. “Yes, but I’m not sure you’ll believe it.”

With a glass of wine in my hand, I started from the beginning…

We met The Gilden for dinner in the Giltterhame. Rather than sitting down in his human form, Lord Gelban was in his full draconic glory as was Hammer. It wasn’t until much later that it occurred to me that sitting down for a meal with two dragons might seem somehow unusual to most people.

There was another change in Lord Gelban, but one that took me a bit longer to put my finger on. Lord Gelban was no longer sitting with his agents or favored children – he was dining with people he considered his equals. He was as polite as he had ever been, but there was a subtle change and I realized he now saw us as his peers, not only in raw power but in ways that mattered more to him – in our deeds and our desire to protect this world. He had never taken us for granted but there was a special gratitude I perceived with every bit of information we shared.

We spent considerable time relating to him the events of the prior day. The Gilden listened intently both out of courtesy and for lack of anything to say. He knew events of great importance were happening, but he had no idea what the depth of it had been. As we reached dessert, Lord Gelban began relating new developments he was aware of.

The Silverring was definitely under some enchantment that was keeping him slumbering. However Lord Gelban said he would investigate himself. He had also been checking on the githyanki in the aftermath of our war. The results seemed to be a long-planned but bloodless coup. The General so far had been true to his word, but there were several splinter groups that had broken away during the upheaval. Some of them just wanted to be under a different rule and were establishing splinter nations, while others were powerful gith seeking to make a grab for the reigns themselves, and these groups were responsible for some open hostilities.

As for Lord Gelban himself, he was turning back an invasion fleet of the Scarlet Brotherhood. No doubt the brotherhood had been played by Fraz too, and convinced to send an invasion fleet towards the Sea Barons. The dragons, with help from the Sea Barons and the Iron Hills, had turned back the naval force. It was of passing note that the invasion fleet entirely bypassed the Lendores. Given the protections there I was not entirely surprised.

There was little else to relate, and rather than agonize over possibilities, we just enjoyed brandy after dinner and hoped that the coming days would bring some relative peace.

There was another oddity that Scorch finally had time to investigate in the quiet aftermath of the Dawn of Judgment. We had recovered an unusual dagger from the Crypt of the ShadowTaker – it had an unusual mix of Sule and Bakluni elements and was something of a historical contradiction. It turned out to have more surprises than just that.

The dagger was made from starmetal – the rarest of the unusual metals. There are very few surviving artifacts left of starmetal, most from the Bakluni. There may have only been two actual sources of the metal at all. The properties of the blade are unusual even for that obscure metal – it was less magnetic than it would be normally, and Scorch believes that it can disrupt magical fields and perhaps even permanently destroy the soul of the victim.

The following days turned out to be calm indeed. The world had returned to some semblance of normalcy and we had returned our attention to more personal matters. Bolo was preparing for a summit of the remaining druids to decide who would lead them. Dravot was completing an enchanted dagger and planning to meet his brother in Greyhawk. And for me, I was again consumed with the creation of a bow, consumed with a renewed passion to defend Celene.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Undying - Epilogue Part II

Part II:

Dravot arrived in Greyhawk just before dawn on the day his brother Kaltin had asked to meet him. He had been gone from the temple for what seemed like an eternity and it was good to return to the familiar faces. He had thought it might be odd – returning to the church he had began as an acolyte, but returning now as a Saint. Yes, a Saint; while this was uncomfortable at first he’d finally accepted it as Pelor’s will. It was a chance to share faith and comfort and was not something to be feared or dreaded.

As glad as he was to be there, it was no less glad than the priests were to see him. Prestwick insisted he lead the morning mass, and then the two took breakfast together. Dravot had never been comfortable preaching to a large crowd but he had found the recent trials had strengthened his heart and he was glad to have someone to share that with.

Around noon, an urchin arrived at the temple with a message for the Saint. She might have been turned away but Dravot had left word he was in town for special purposes, and so the message found its way to him. It contained only an address of a warehouse near the docks. Upon seeing it Dravot and Thorkeld set out immediately, taking pains to appear inconspicuous.

Dravot scanned the alleys and rooftops casually as the pair made their way through the streets. He didn’t see anything, and hadn’t expected to. But he knew. He knew she was out there somewhere. Watching over him like a dark angel. He laughed inwardly at the thought. Valanthe would never describe herself as an angel, and Dravot would have to agree with that. But in this case the parallel seemed appropriate. She had come to Greyhawk with him to be his angel and watch over him, just in case. Dravot didn’t believe the meeting to be a trap, but as Kayleigh pointed out, that didn’t mean someone else might not see it as an opportunity. The recent assassination attempt didn’t even have to be mentioned. Of course Kayleigh had also suggested that everyone going along be mind blanked as a further precaution, and looking at the address again, it was advice he was glad he had taken.

As the warehouse came into view down the street, Valanthe’s mind came over the scale. “The warehouse seems clean – no sign of an ambush or anything unpleasant outside.” Dravot smiled. Angel indeed.

The warehouse held huge stacks of quarried stone. It was a place ideally suited to hidden meetings. Barely visible as a shadow against a large stack of flagstones was a man about Dravot’s height. The man was not trying to hide, but nor was he being completely obvious about his presence. He called out “I’m glad you came.”

The voice was rough, but it was Kaltin.

“Your invitation intrigued me. I’m glad to see you’re doing well,” Dravot replied as he came close enough to speak more discreetly.

Valanthe had wasted no time. “There are three drow here as well. I don’t see any weapons drawn – looks more like they’re trying to remain hidden. I don’t think they’re up to anything.”

“So, I understand there’s been a great deal of commotion in the surface world?” Kaltin asked.

“A bit,” Dravot smiled wryly. “But the commotion should be over. Hopefully forever but if nothing else, than for the moment.”

Kaltin stepped forward but still remained shadowed. “That’s good to know.” His tone was hesitant, as if he were about to cross some threshold. “I have been trying to put together allies to spring a trap to deal with our grandfather. The Duke of Geoff has agreed, at least in part, to aid the effort as well as some residents of the underdark. I wouldn’t call it an alliance but I’ve convinced them of our shared purpose.”

Kaltin paused, overwhelmed at the sight of his brother. “I’ve heard you’ve risen far in the church. It’s a source of great pride for me, and even for our grandfather, if you can believe that. You’ve done well.”

Dravot frowned. “Really? I had rather been hoping it would annoy him.”

Kaltin laughed a hoarse laugh. “Well, Chavram is somewhat… conflicted. And how is Brindinford?”

Dravot wasn’t sure how his brother knew what had happened to their home. “It has been returned to this plane. It was set to rights the day after the ‘commotion’ as you call it. It’s none the worse for wear, but the townsfolk are still a bit rattled.”

Kaltin nodded. “I have an hour before I must go. There are some drow here with me, including one accomplished sorcerer who will see to my return. The drow have certain sinkholes where they can transport up to the surface world or back down. These few are mercenaries working for me. They will keep quiet.”

Despite saying the drow would stay quiet, Kaltin whispered anyway. “There is more you must know. Chavram now has four of the binders. Two were located in the underdark and had been moved there some time after their original interment. I cannot say which binders however – I believe Chavram is trying to reveal as little as possible. He may be starting to suspect me so I must be very careful.”

Dravot nodded. “Of course. This is interesting. It means at least three binders were moved about five hundred years ago then. We recovered one recently ourselves.”

“I do not believe Chavram is seeking any more of them right now. The last was four or five months ago, and I think he began to fear that continued collection would lead him to direct conflict with you. He may have used the binders he had to help find the more recent acquisitions.”

Dravot knew this was impossible; the binders were completely immune to each other’s powers and could provide no information on each other. Chavram was indeed revealing little to those around him.

“Chavram knows you have destroyed one of the binders. When one is destroyed, there is a reverberation among all the others. And he knows there is someone else seeking the remaining lost binders as well but he does not know who.”

Again, Dravot saw his brother’s information was incorrect. He had now seen to the release of two binders, but his brother must have been away to long to know of the second. That or his grandfather had not revealed it.

“Part of the reason that Sebastian was sent away was the binders. Chavram wanted to avoid direct conflict with you for the moment, and that meant avoiding the binders. But Sebastian was even more obsessed than Chavram – his hatred of you Dravot was all that drove him. He commissioned assassinations that Chavram did not want, and in the end that was what caused Chavram to cast him out. Sebastian used his connections with what he thought were agents of Hextor to get revenge. But they were not of Hextor.”

Dravot shook his head. “No they were agents of Fraz.”

Kaltin shrugged. “I’m not sure. I believe it was a demon prince but I’m not sure which.”

Dravot winked. “Trust me. It was Fraz. And as for Sebastian… well his hate wasn’t enough to sustain him.”

Kaltin replied with a quizzical look and Dravot told his brother how he had destroyed their half-brother in the chambers beneath the mountain.

Kaltin was taking this in and was about to ask more. But it was then that Dravot’s eyes saw the full measure of Kaltin and what this half a life was doing to him. The hair on the right side of his head had fallen out. The skin on his throat was dried and slack, and there was a quiet reddish glow now revealed in his iris’. This was quite unlike an animus, but Kaltin had stood for so long with only one foot in the grave that he was becoming something entirely different.

“You don’t look well brother. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Kaltin snorted. “I don’t think so. Some sort of change began not long after we last met and it has continued to develop. I have gained some strange abilities, but there has been a cost. I can summon darkness, or cause fire in an object by looking at it. I am not as powerful as a full animus, but I am… something… hell I’m not sure what I am. I don’t particularly care for it but I cannot reject anything that offers me a means to defeat our grandfather.”

Dravot put a hand on Kaltin’s shoulder. “This transformation can be reversed brother. Have a heart. We can fix this.”

Kaltin was clearly skeptical. It was then that Dravot realized the full weight of what Pelor had said to him.

I do not know exactly where they are.

For Pelor not to know, then it meant Kaltin was no longer actively worshipping Pelor. Kaltin too was having a crisis of faith, but seemed to be losing the battle.

Kaltin waved off his brother’s concern. “Grandfather has several weak spots that can be exploited. One is his obsession with you. I’m not sure what he’s up to, but ultimately he still has plans for you. However nor is he a fool. He knows you’ve grown quite competent.”

“You mentioned allies. Whom has he sought out?”

“Well there is the drow of course. He is in the City of the Spider Queen right now. He has brokered some kind of deal with the drow, but it is not one of large scale military cooperation. He is lending them some aid as they fight other races in the underdark. The duregar are on the defensive, and the illithid have been pushed back thanks to his help. Of course the illithid are also suffering from increasing raids of gith zerai war parties. But Chavram can provide the drow some degree of protection against the mind flayers and the drow strike teams have been wreaking havoc and seriously inconveniencing the illithid.”

“Protection” Dravot thought. The abjuration binder is unaccounted for – it now seemed likely Chavram controlled it.

“Chavram has been very clever about securing his allies. For instance, before going under,” Kaltin went on “Chavram helped take Geoff back from the giants. He did this by destroying most of the stupider giants. The then flew in and killed many powerful giants for effect, and then negotiated from a position of strength. His proposition was simple – you can either back off, or join with me and I can make use of you. He plans to use them as the hammer to strike at Iuz. He’s still as fixated on him as ever.”

Dravot laughed. “Oh? He’s not planning on using his gnolls?”

Kaltin saw the joke. “No. Actually most of them are gone – dead or traded away as slaves.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“I believe grandfather will need to hold a summit. He will gather all the allies together and reveal his battle plan and prepare for his strike. The time is not yet here, but it is coming. He will be most vulnerable then – he will have to leave the underdark to do this. I will know when this time is coming and I will let you know. I’m not sure what you can do, but from what I’ve heard, you are very powerful and you may be able to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Dravot laughed wryly. “Compared to what I’ve seen in recent weeks, this seems positively simple.”

“I will make arrangements to get a message to you. There will be several intermediaries of course but it can be done.” Kaltin’s face changed to one of concern. “How are Gerrin and Thora?”

“They are well. Thora is even married,” and Dravot looked over his shoulder to where Thorkeld was waiting at a discreet distance.

“Hm. Well I suppose it could be worse. And how is Aylwyn?”

Dravot was slightly surprised that his brother knew the solar or would inquire about him. “He is well, but he too has been tested of late.”

Kaltin only nodded at this, but it was clear this was of great importance to him.

Their time was nearly up. Dravot said “Have faith my brother. Pelor has not turned his back on you. He loves you now as he ever has. And so do I. We can reverse this process. We will reverse it. I promise.”

Kaltin looked ashamed as if he was someone who no longer deserved faith or hope. “You seem so sure. So very sure. I wish I had your faith.”

Dravot smiled. “I have walked the same road as you. You can have this faith – I will share mine with you. For faith is unique – no matter how much you share, you only gain more. Share my faith and believe. You will be healed.”

Kaltin was sad. “I wish I could. How can you be so sure? How do you know?

Dravot shrugged. “I believe. I believe as ever I have since the day I learned of the atrocities of our grandfather. I knew then as I know now that you can be redeemed. I knew then as I know now that Pelor will not turn his back on you. He has a plan; he will provide.”

Kaltin still looked skeptical. Dravot put his arm around his brother and said “My faith was tested in recent days. I wish I knew if I passed.” The two shared a laugh. “But I know I am stronger for the ordeal, and that is the true nature of a test of faith. Trust in this: I know you will be redeemed.”

Kaltin was searching for hope to cling to but could not grasp it. “But how do you know?”

“I know for two reasons. I know because I believe it in my heart and I always have. But I know for another reason.”

Kaltin raised an eyebrow laced with cynicism.

Dravot was unfazed. “I know because Pelor told me. Because three days ago, Pelor stood before me in his grace and radiance. And he told me so. He told me you can be saved. And he told me he still loves you.”

Kaltin looked in mute shock at his brother. He knew that Dravot did not mean this in any metaphysical sense. His had heard the stories of his brother, the Saint, and how he walked with his god. But only now did he truly see what his baby brother had become. He truly walked with Pelor.

And there was something else in Kaltin’s eyes too now.

There was hope.

The brothers hugged, and went their ways. One to the light, the other to the darkness. But both now knew they would be together again. And as he returned to the temple, Dravot realized how contagious faith can be.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Undying - Epilogue Part III

Part III

I thought mages were supposed to be reclusive hermits when working on a project. I’ve fought wars with less running around than I was doing lately. But I had a very pressing deadline – the equinox was coming fast, and there could be no delays.

I had been wanting to make a proper bow for some time, but of late the reasons had been changing. At first it was a simple desire for a proper tool but that has blended into deeper motives. And while I’ll be elated to wield it, selfishness is not among them. I have seen more in the past few years than has happened I think in the last two hundred. (Secretly I suspect that’s not at all true and that events of this magnitude are happening al the time. It’s just that most people don’t know about them. But unless I’ve been drinking a lot of wine, I tend to dismiss this idea, mostly for my own peace of mind.) Celene needed protecting, and this was another tool to do that with – one that would continue on even after I met my end. It was a way to protect my kingdom. At times I saw it as a way to ease my guilt and protect my kingdom even after I could no longer do it.

Durgeddin put me on the path and now it was all clear. The equinox was the time. As for the place, that was far easier than it might have seemed. I had a hunch but I also knew the being who would know for sure. The Celenian was still meditating in the same clearing I’d last seen him in, despite reports that he was not.

“Greetings Elder. I have come seeking your wisdom yet again.”

The Celenian smiled. “Indeed?”

“Aye. I now know the time. The moment when the power of our race and our nation is at its peak. The time when great deeds can be done and impossible enchantments forged. But with the time, there must also be a place. I come seeking that place.”

He was almost grinning, in a dignified sort of way. “But you already know the place do you not?” And he looked idly around at the clearing around him.

I nodded. “I suppose I do.”

My teachers of classical arcane knowledge would surely say I was not the best student they had ever encountered. But this did not seem to be a handicap in my preparations. On the contrary, once the pebble had been put into motion by Durgeddin, it gained speed and momentum and was now like an avalanche. I quickly figured out every ingredient and preparation that would be required. It included many items that learned minds were at a loss to understand. They were convinced this would be a total failure, but of course it was the only thing they agreed on; each one had a different solution to my “misunderstanding” of arcane theory. After consulting with them, I have learned one important lesson.

When attempting the blatantly impossible, it is best not to consult with learned minds.

I knew what all I needed – that part was easy. Getting it all was somewhat more difficult. Sometimes it was a matter just of finding things. The precise spot in all of Celene where the crimson moodnrop flower was in bloom or the one flake of azure crystal that had never been touched by the sun.

In other cases it was a bit more obvious. Everyone of any education knew where you could find the iron willow trees. Properly treated, you could do amazing things with their sap and create a fiber, or so it was believed. Most people had to just believe it, because despite knowing where to get it, almost no one had actually ever possessed any. This probably had something to do with the rocs. You see an iron willow is one of the few trees that can actually support a roc. Therefore there tended to be quite a few rocs around the grove.

It was an interesting encounter on some levels. There’s a school of thought that most predators are also prey to some other creature, and that breeds a sense of survival. This school also says that rocs have no sense of survival since they have never had to confront a predator. I can now say, with certainty, that this line of reasoning is utter drivel, and that rocs can exhibit a sense of survival, once it’s clearly demonstrated that they can be viewed as prey.

I moved across the length and breadth of Celene taking in all her beauty and with it one or two horrors. For the most part I harvested my needs quietly and left unnoticed. In some cases I was able to convince the guardians of my honesty of purpose. And in a few instances, the negotiation was more bloody. The days went by quickly, but by the time the equinox arrived, I was ready.

The ceremony was lengthy and demanding. I call it a ceremony, because that seems more appropriate. This was not a case of a workman in his shop, bending metal or wood to his will. I was shaping a branch of the First Ash and this could not be accomplished by cutting, hacking, scraping and sanding. It would be done in the elven way – by asking the wood to take the shape you desired and letting nature, not tools, harness the power of the materials. But the First Ash was not a wood that would be easily convinced; it would take a strong will to convince it to do anything. On top of that, the complexity of the enchantments would require something on the order of an epiphany to weave together.

I started at dawn, and worked through the day and night alone in that clearing. I started with the branch of the First Ash – hardly more than a stick and only perhaps a foot long – and coaxed forth growth and purpose. I brought saps, metals and silks together to form a string strong and supple enough to mate the limbs of the bow. And I wove together threads of magic throughout the weapon, pouring my heart, my soul, and my love for my kingdom together into one force.

It was almost a full day from when I had started. The moon was high overhead, bright and full and the sun was about to creep over the treetops. The bow was formed and it was unlike any I had known. It was time.

I took from my quiver a very special arrow. The arrow itself had taken three days to make. It was more than an arrow; it was an offering. Weeks before, The Celenian had said “When the bow is complete, you must fire one arrow at the moon. If the work is true and good, the arrow will disappear, and will not fall to the earth. This is the final step.”

The arrow was my offering to Corellian. It was my plea – my prayer for strength of heart and of will to create a tool to protect my country. It was perhaps the finest arrow that had been made in centuries, and it was my prayer.

I picked up the bow, and it felt inert despite all that had gone into it. It felt heavy and clumsy and as I set nock to string, I started to wonder if it would shatter as I drew. I took a deep breath, and I felt my faith lift me up. I drew back the arrow as I lifted the bow towards the skies above, and held the arrow for a single precious moment.

This is my gift. My prayer. My hope for Celene. My love.

My fingers relaxed, and in an instant, the bow surged to life. The bow, the arrow, and I were all one. The bow felt delicate, light, precise, and perfect and the arcane power of the bow melded with my own and flowed into the arrow as it shot towards the moon. The arrow seemed to slow in the air as it left the bow, like a falcon hovering in flight, then suddenly shot skyward at blinding speed. It did not pause for wind nor the pull of the earth, but moved in a unwavering line towards the moon. I followed the arrow for what seemed an eternity but soon even my eye could no longer see the arrow, but a heartbeat after I lost sight of it, the sun shined free and a blazing red halo danced around the moon’s silvery face. And as the red fire played around the moon, I could hear the words Pelor had so recently spoken. But this time it was not his voice.

Your family and your nation stand protected. But part of that protection is you. You are blessed in my eyes.

I offered up my heart, my love, my prayers. And they were heard, and returned. Truly I am blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads