• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Destan said:
You know - this post alones speaks volumes about the wonderful richness, the complexity, the longevity, and the friendships that must endure with this great campaign. Most gamers, including yours truly, can only yearn for such things.
Believe me, I appreciate it (both the compliment and the players). Every time I read a 'my players/my Dm are/is so fill-in-the-blank', I just have to scratch my head, and thank the stars above. I've always gamed with enthusiastic players who actively enjoy the game and trust me as implicitly as I trust them.

The story hour not only keeps me honest, but serves as an excellent log of the game that we all can use to reference material that's already occured. It's somewhat difficult to keep track of the number of balls I've got floating in the air at any given time, and the story hour helps with this immensely. My goal has been to try and create a moderately complex world, where it's clear that things happen without the players, decisions have consequences and that they have the ability to influence events in a meaningful way. I'm sometimes concernend that the first two goals have obscured the third one, but I'm still feeling that out.

My current biggest concern is wondering how long the campaign will continue. Originally, I had envisioned the final showdown with all of the campaigns BBEGs by 20th level, but the ELH changed that. The real question is how far we'll go with it. As long as fun outweighs any negatives, I suppose.

In most ways, the game hasn't substantially changed. 1st-level Dravot negotiating with a merchant and sheriff in Oakhurst isn't that far removed from 20th-level Dravot negotiating with the king of Ekbir, in the grand scheme of things. Many non-combat issues remain, at their core, the same. In fact, it's only the combat issues that give me any pause.

Well, that, and Valanthe rolling a skill check and getting a new campaign high of 85. Yeah, that's not a typo...it's 15 less than a hundred. For some creatures, I don't even bother rolling. :)

dravot

First Post
Dravot's Journal: Undying Chapters 5 & 6

As I recall the events of the last day; how can it have only been a few hours? It seems to me like we’ve been at this for years now. I cannot believe how tired I feel, how worn out emotionally I feel by what has been done to us, and our families, and our homes, our faith and our souls. For every triumph that we have achieved, we have twice as many adversities thrown in our way. For every life that we save, two more are placed in peril. Sometimes I wonder if Kayleigh doesn’t have the right of it…maybe everything would be better if we left well enough alone.

I have been lost in thought quite a bit lately. People need to physically get my attention if they wish to actually speak with me. I have come to a disturbing realization: I am undergoing a crisis in my faith, the depths of which is approaching that which I felt when we were at Nightfang Spire, although quite different in scope.

I am still trying to divine (small ‘d’ divine, that is) within myself just what this crisis is, and what it means to me. Perhaps it is nothing but unrealistic expectations on my part. I am certainly but a humble man, fallible in many ways. Mayhaps I thought that being ‘the Living Saint’ would mean that Pelor and his Host would grant me more information about the crisis facing the Prime; that I might help in some meaningful way, but I am wrong. I have been kept in the dark as much as the lowliest acolyte, and yet, I could be doing so much more.

When I saw what had happened in Hexpools, I wept. How was that allowed to happen? I could have prevented this (although certainly not without the aid of my noble companions) had I but known of it. The rage that I felt when I learned what foul creature did with Bellamy’s bones still simmers within me. No amount of meditation and prayer has eased that pain. All I can think of is to take my vengeance upon her. At times I wish that her lifeless corpse be treated in the same manner, and then I shake myself from the waking nightmare that is my lust for vengeance, and remind myself that as a follower of Pelor, I should be above such things.

At which point I look at Thorkeld. He has said little, if anything since Brindinford, though I cannot blame him for that. He blames himself for being lost in the shadow maze, but quietly I am glad that it happened, for I am afraid that he might have done something rash and foolhardy when we fought Seltan.

It is our best guess that Brindinford is under the protection of Pelor or his Host, and yet that is the problem: it is only a guess. Given the circumstances, it is the most likely of explanations, yet in many ways it is the most troubling, for if it is true, then my home and my people, my town and my family is missing, hidden by my god (or His agents) and I know nothing about it, and that is the meat of the problem. They have been placed in mortal danger by their very association with me, a circumstance which they have little control over, and by my calling to do Pelor’s duty, which they have even less control over. If they have been placed under divine protection, as we suspect, then why do I know nothing about it? I am the Living Saint, after all. Is it too much to ask that I be warned of such an action? At least then, Thorkeld, who is as good and faithful a follower of Pelor as there ever was, wouldn’t be numb with pain and rage at what has happened.

If Pelor hasn’t hidden our home, then the stakes go up and the consequences become much more dire. Who has it? Are they safe, or in mortal peril? Are they all dead? It is too painful to contemplate. Again, if this is the case, am I wrong to wish that Pelor have warned me? Perhaps I could have prevented it (again, with the help of my excellent companions. I dare not entertain notions that I could have headed this off on my own). Perhaps I could have found a vital clue to rescue them, if they are still alive.

So I find myself stuck; stuck between the hubris of being His divine agent, and the desire to help (and being forcefully kept away). I’m trapped between the fear of ignorance of His plans and the fear of actions by mine enemies. I vacillate between action, which seemingly causes more problems, and inaction, in which no one is helped.

And what scares me most of all is the sudden realization that although I am but a lowly man in the eyes of my god (not even remotely approaching the status of the lowliest of the celestial Host), I have done much in his service, and I am not a young child and I find that I am angry to be treated as such. I struggle to come to grips with this, and I am afraid of where it might take me. I do not like these feelings of frustration and rage that are within me, and yet I do not have any easy avenue to drain them away from my soul.

I understand that we will be speaking with Vehn shortly. Perhaps he’ll have the answers that no one else is willing to provide me. Until then, I will meditate upon the teachings of St. Belline and try to find an anchor for my soul once more.

Zad

First Post
It's funny too, because Zad/Kayleigh keeps questioning me as to why Dravot is so calm about everything and hasn't flown off the handle. Well...for him things have reached a boiling point. I'm quite interested in seeing what will happen next, and how Dravot will react.
Kayleigh has frequently questioned Dravot about this kind of thing. (Plus some OOC joking from me too.) But strictly in character, it's a front. Kayleigh is outwardly questiong Pelor and why he isn't doing anything, but her unspoken concern (concealed partly even from herself) is the inaction of her own diety and if he too is "gone". She's putting Pelor's face on it and railing at him a little, but her real fear is Corellian is withdrawn and the elves without his protection. But it's just too troubling for her to openly contemplate. In a wierd way, she's looking to Dravot to provide some faith.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Undying – Chapter 6

OOC Notes:
Exp for 22nd is 5000, for 23rd is 3500.

Loot:
Reaper’s Fist
Ebon Ward (+4 large steel shield of spell deflection)
Belt of Giant Strength +6
+5 demonmight warded full plate of dark soul protection
Ring of Protection +4
Cloak of Charisma +4

This Week’s Adventure:
Seltan the Fellsoul swung his mace idly at the ground. “For a year. For a year I’ve waited. Oh, I’ve got you to thank for that. Especially you, paladin. I asked you not to let them raise me, and you did. For that I have to thank you. But there were other ways…”

He drifted off for a moment then suddenly snapped back. “I’m sorry I don’t look so good.” And he smiled a mouth full of twisted teeth and fangs.

Aethramyr regarded him casually and quipped “You have looked better.”

Seltan shrugged mockingly. “I’ve felt better too. But no matter. My master feels you’ve become too much of a problem.” He spoke to his companions “The paladin is mine. Make the others look bad.”

Aethramyr just shook his head sadly. “Seltan, you and your master have no concept of making weapons.”

There was a snort from one of the cloaked figures, who tossed off his cloak and hefted his own weapon – a massive sword. He was a massive warrior with wicked armor and a sword that probably weighed as much as I did. “Warduke show you weapons.”

But before Warduke could pounce, the beholder started chittering madly. “Baron Waste! Baron Waste show you! Show you the darkness!” Then it started giggling insanely and eye rays shot out everywhere. From the black vortex in the center, a cone of darkness washed over us. Besides just being dark, Thorkeld’s grip on reality was torn away, and he was drawn off to some other shadowy place.

We only had one tactical advantage here and that was provided by the Pyre of Pelor. But it was still some hundred feet away down a corridor. I was determined to make the most of that advantage however, and after a haste spell we began retreating towards the Pyre. Dravot dropped a sunburst and also retreated towards the shrine, but Seltan absorbed the sunlight into his shield and it washed over most of the others with little effect.

Then a small dinosaur darted out from under the cloak of the smaller figure, and raptor, the cloaked figure, and Seltan teleported down the hall in an attempt to cut us off. Seltan also called in his nightmare steed which further filled the hallway. After arriving, the small figure let her cloak fall away. She was stunningly beautiful and completely naked. Even her strange black horns were alluring and sensual and her blackish green eyes spoke of the secrets of the night. She had a sylvan beauty and grace but turned dark and touched by forbidden desires.

She stood for a moment looking out, almost expecting something. But nothing happened, and her look changed from prideful to miffed making her all the more desirable.

Scorch fired a spray of light and then also started withdrawing down the hallway. As he passed over it, a large section of the floor seemed to suddenly… flow. Then a massive xorn rose up through the fluid earth and shouted “Manthrax is hungry!” and swiped at the passing Scorch.

The scene was breaking into two separate battles – one at the entrance, and the other near the Pyre. In the tunnel, Seltan was trying to prevent us getting closer to the holy site, and sent forth a gout of abyssal flame that blazed out of the tunnel entrance and went on for hundreds of feet before dying out. Fortunately it was a flat sheet of flame rather than a blast, and since most of us were in the air at various heights, he could not try and catch us all in it. The fire crackled at me, but I was able to twist away from it unharmed, while behind me Scorch in the form of a solar, was only singed.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from the corrupted nymph, but I was fairly sure she’d be easier to destroy than Seltan. They were trying to block the passage to the Pyre, but they weren’t flying and I was. The ceiling offered me enough room to pass overhead and I used it, firing a set of arrows at the nymph as I went by. But as I fired, the small dinosaur leapt in front of her and only one arrow made it to her perfect skin. The raptor crashed to the stone floor with barely the fletchings of the arrows prodruding from its chest, while his mistress bled blackened blood with a vulnerability that made her all the more enticing.

If Scorch was smitten, it didn’t slow his reactions any. He fired a ray of cold, striking the nymph squarely in the back and she let out a melodic scream. The nymph shed a single, perfect tear and spoke a few words then stepped into the stone wall beside her. I couldn’t tell if she was fleeing or just preparing for something more sinister, but she didn’t emerge anywhere else immediately. Dravot uttered the holy words of Pelor, and while it had no effect on most of the combatants, it did cause Seltan’s nightmare to become completely paralyzed. Seltan, unfazed, uttered the dark words of an evil spell and sprouted dragon-like wings from his back and flew up right in front of me.

This could be very bad.

I fell back a few paces and fired as many arrows as I could. They bit hard into Seltan but he was determined to crush my skull with that mace. Valanthe appeared behind him and spilled what seemed like half his entrails, but he was still coming.

Then Dravot, quite likely, saved my life. In retrospect, perhaps I should have retreated from Seltan further. I wish I would say it was faith in the others to protect me, but it was just lack of thought. But Dravot protected me all the same. He shattered the enchantments protecting Seltan and as they scattered on the ether, the demonic wings melted away and Seltan fell to the floor.

I looked down at my foe, now well out of reach. He looked so angry I thought his hate would try to strike me dead on its own.

And I smiled down at him. And then I sank six arrows in his chest, and with a hiss and a groan, Seltan the Fellsoul died a second time. Valanthe quickly pounced and made sure he was dead – if she hadn’t, I would have. If we were forced to retreat now, at least one of our assassins is dead so it would be a victory. Zera, who had been harrying Seltan, brought her polearm down in one swift stroke across the neck of the paralyzed nightmare, and the creature fell beside its dark master.

Scorch then looked calmly at the elder xorn. Manthrax was something that could be dealt with, but not right now. I recognized the tell-tale popping sound, and Manthrax was in the maze. Unfortunately Manthrax was either smarter than he looked, or very luck, and he returned almost immediately. But Manthrax was now clearly in our sights. I started firing arrows while Valanthe made a series of lightning-quick attacks. Scorch imprisoned Manthrax again, this time in a force cage. The cage was barely big enough to hold him but he was trapped, and there was plenty of room between the glowing bars for me to continue shooting until Manthrax collapsed. Manthrax was definitely smarter than he looked, since he realized this too. He promptly plane shifted and fled.

Meanwhile outside the shrine, a different battle raged. Warduke charged Windsaber and took several cuts with his sword, now blazing with fire, and cut several gashes in the lion. Aethramyr charged the dark warrior, and their swords cut back and forth in vicious flashes. Bolo attempted to Shadowblast the beholder, but it had no effect – whatever the creature’s ties to shadow, they weren’t enough to let the spell take hold. Bolo then changed into a bulette and dove underground. If I hadn’t been so preoccupied, I would have been stunned. But down he went, and a moment later he was swallowed (yet again) by The 100th Horror, a giant worm.

Despite Seltan’s directive to leave the paladin for him, Warduke was attacking Aethramyr with reckless fury. While the two traded blows, Windsaber pummeled Warduke with relentless precision. Then the ground shook and heaved and a few feet away the massive armor-plated century worm that was the 100th horror erupted from the ground. It convulsted and spat out a blazing mass of energy that impacted on the hillside. Bolo had countered being swallowed (yet again) by shifting shape to a fire elemental which the worm found entirely unpalatable. The worm let out a scream so loud it deafened Aethramyr. But apparently he wasn’t the only one – Baron Waste began shouting to his companions, apparently also unable to hear. It fired several eye rays at Aethramyr but there was no effect.

Bolo called on the power of earth, and a wickedly sharp stalagmite shot up from the ground impaling the eye tyrant solidly. That at least gave Baron Waste something to keep him busy. By Aethramyr, the combat was intense, and Warduke might have held his own in single combat. But this wasn’t single combat, and the combined assault of Aethramyr and Windsaber was proving to be too much for Warduke to bear, especially given the lack of support from his allies. He invoked the power stored in a magic ring, and disappeared. I count us fortunate that while these creatures are powerful, their commitment to each other seems quite superficial.

Unfortunately for Aethramyr, this was not much of a reprieve, as the 100th Horror pounced and swallowed him whole. Inside the worm’s gullet, her young crawled and flopped towards Aethramyr, intent on feeding on him.

It turned it’s head towards Bolo and only then did we realize that the missing eye from Baron Waste had been grafted to the forehead of the 100th Horror. As magic melted away, Bolo reverted to elven form.

Then it swallowed Bolo again (yet again). Who naturally immeadiately burst into flame returning to fire elemental form once out of the anti-magic field.

Then for good measure, it swallowed Windsaber too.

With a full gullet, the century worm dove into the earth. Windsaber was badly injured and the burning fire and acid inside the worm was not helping matters. It was also only a matter of time before the young attached themselves to their spines and destroyed them all. However by now, Baron Waste had disappeared somewhere and Manthrax had fled. Dravot stepped from the cave in time to see the tail of the worm disappearing beneath the earth with three of our friends still inside. Dravot dropped to one knee and prayed to Pelor.

And Pelor answered. Bolo, Aethramyr, and Windsaber appeared before him, plucked from the belly of the worm.

The 100th Horror seemed to be in full retreat; even denied its meal, it was not going to return. I didn’t want to see a creature like that roaming around unchecked, and flew down the tunnel after it. Fortuantely it was not particularly fast, and I pursued it through its tunnel firing arrows all the way. It tried to turn or go deeper, but it was no use, and after a great many volleys, it rolled on its side and lay still.

It seemed we had survived yet another attempt on our life. But we still had no understanding of what was happening in the world, and seemed powerless to do anything. Off in the sky, I began noticing bright flashes playing, like the twinkling of stars. Only it was daylight. Soon we could make out small eruptions of light or smoke and starting at it, the truth became clear.

Angels and demons were locked in mortal combat. The war of the heavens had come to the world, despite our attempts to stop it. We stood there, just watching. Even if we chose to act, the scale of the battle was far beyond anything we could influence as thousands of fiends and celestials fought in the skies, and that was just what was within sight of us.

Then a half mile away, two beings crashed into the ground. A deva and a pit fiend separated themselves and engaged each other again. Feeling powerless, and somewhat hopeless, I started firing at the pit fiend, determined to at least try to do something. Several arrows stuck in the pit fiend, and it teleported away, followed by the deva a moment later.

We discussed several possibilities – going to Ruun’Khazai (which I saw no point in) or the Land of Black Ice (which I also saw no point in). Regretably, I couldn’t think of a single idea that was any better than just standing there. But as we watched the battle play out, I started to make out a shaft of energy in the distance. It was difficult to notice at first but eventually we could make it out. It was large but impossible to tell how far away it was. It was roughly in the direction of Greyhawk and the Nyr Dyv and as we moved that direction we realized it was hundreds of miles away.

Then Scorch received a message from The Concordant. We moved to the Glitterhame to speak with him. Once he was over his awe, he told us that planar mechanics had gone mad. Souls were now ricocheting back to the Prime as if the entire plane had been encased in some kind of shell. Souls could no longer move on.

A few hours ago, he began to suspect someone was increasing the intensity of the pull on souls, and then suddenly it was all shut down and the “shell” appeared. This type of thing was beyond the power of mortals. This was the act of the divine and, The Concordant believed, of a new influence.

Dravot looked around and said “Venn.”

A chilling silence followed. Scorch produced the crystal ball and tried to scry Venn. It was easily done and Venn was looking back at us. He said “Hello.”

This was clearly not normal.

Dravot asked “Have you sealed the Prime?”

Venn replied without emotion “Yes, we have. I think it’s time we had a talk.”

“Past time,” Scorch agreed.

“Things are escalating. Fraz is making a reach for divinity. I would rather he not obtain it. I will open a gate there in ten minutes. You can reach me near the Nyr Dyv. Make sure Valanthe comes. I would open it sooner but I am somewhat taxed at the moment.” And the ball went dark.

We stood in near total silence for ten minutes. What was there to say? We just waited. In ten minutes, the promised gate appeared and we stepped through.

We appeared on the shores of the Nyr Dyv. To the left we could see Dyvers in the distance. It was not in flames but it had sustained some damage. Standing at the shore was Venn, surrounded by three others – two men and a woman. When we arrived, they moved to stand behind Venn in a defferential way.

Venn regarded us with only a trace of emotion. “Thank you for coming.”

And then it hit us. It was Venn.

And it was Ralishaz.

He stood with his three avatars behind him, now recognizable despite their human forms.

“Let’s have a nice long chat.”

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Seule said:
I failed on Venn, and I have a niggling feeling that I /really/ should know who that is. I think I read too many storyhours.
Isn't Ralishaz the god of bad luck?

Ralishaz is one of the ancient Suel Gods, rarely worshipped today. After the Rain of Colorless Fire and Invoked Devastation, many blamed Ralishaz for part of the event (although the details of why they might do this are not currently remembered). Worshipped mostly in the South and West, Ralishaz is known as the Unsought One, since it's assumed that he brings bad luck, and offerings are made to keep his attention away. Ralishaz is considered to be fickle, and rewards longshots and gamblers, but is equally likely to reverse someone's fortune at a whim.

Ralishaz has been in the game for a long time. His first appearance goes all the way back to A Well Earned Rest, Chapter 2, where we discovered his primary avatar was trapped beneath Castle Greyhawk, and was inadvertantly freed, as was a certain trickster god.

"Valanthe entered the room but before she reached me, she too was drawn away. She found herself in a desert, a nomad in a turban walking nearby. He said he was the unsought one. (We later learned this is apparently one of the old Sule gods who is no longer worshipped.) He cautioned her to beware the Tripartate and any mortal who quests for it. "

Valanthe did some research on Ralishaz in the ensuing months, and in act of desperation, called upon him during Heart of Nightfang Spire, Chapter 1.

"Don’t ask me why, but I suddenly rembered the Unsought One, Ralishaz, God of Gamblers. What the hell, I thought, I might as well play with the best there is and roll the dice of fate.

All right, Ralishaz, I bet you can’t resist this. Give me a hand here and I’ll be owing you later.

I swore I heard a voice in the back of my head exclaim “You crazy, bitch!”"

Ralishaz's debt, of course, was to have the PCs wake him up from an enforced slumber on the astral. Their reward was Ruun Kaazai. Of course, he had his reasons for doing that, too, and they weren't entirely altruistic.

WizarDru

Adventurer
As promised, here are some pictures from the previous session, for your enjoyment.

The week previous, Scorch came over and asked me to map out the Pyre of Pelor, tunnel and entrance, so that he could create it using Hirst Arts materials. I modified the scale slightly, after his bemoand cries of "15 feet wide? You're killing me, man, you're killing me!"

Here's the actual battlefied, on the coffee table :)

dnd_pyre_1_021304.jpg

For those curious, those are D&D minis, which my son loves to play with, on the blue container in the foreground, lower right.

Here's a close-up of the Pyre of Pelor area.

dnd_pyre_2_021304.jpg

It's not entirely distinct in this picture, but if you look to the right, you can see the altar made for this area. Ironically, combat never made it more than 10' in this room.

The Battle BEGINS!

dnd_pyre_3_021304.jpg

To clear up any confusion about the layout here...we ran out of table. We just moved the bad guys over and indicated that they were 'X' feet out from Bolo and Windsaber in the front there. So in actuality, 'Them' was about fifteen feet directly in front of 'Us'...but that would have put them on the floor.

Tactical Withdrawl!
dnd_pyre_4_021304.jpg

Here we see the group beginning it's retreat, making for the Pyre. The bad guys expected this, but poor initiave rolls meant that they had to improvise (which proved to be a fateful decision). Note Thorkeld in 'Time Out' over by the DM's coffee, and the shadow trio 'waiting in the wings' in the lower right. That's Dravot and Zira in the center, Valanthe running along the ceiling and Kayleigh flying after them.

Manthraxus HUNGERS!
dnd_pyre_5_021304.jpg

The trap, such as it was, is sprung. Manthraxus, represented by the big black thing, erupts from the floor, about to grapple Scorch with little trouble (who will shortly become a grig and escape). Note Seltan and Hevexia in the foreground, with her little deinonychus in front of her, and the skeletal horse and rider to represent Seltan's steed. Truth be told, Seltan should have been ON the steed from the start, but I forgot until after he had appeared, and it didn't seem right to retcon that particular fact. In retrospect, this may have modified the combat some, but c'est la vie.

Poor, poor Seltan
dnd_pyre_6_021304.jpg

Forced back to the ground, Seltan goes against the only hated opponent available to him, Dravot. Once he lost his mobility and his support, it was pretty much over. That Sauron mini over on the left is actually Scorch in his Solar form.

Tastes Great, Less Filling
dnd_pyre_7_021304.jpg

Now, the thing to remember about this picture is that all three mini who are currently on the base are actually IN the 100th Horror's belly. Team Shadow stands nearby, draining as much Strength as humanly possible off of the horror (and it adds up, fast). Off-camera is Manthraxus, still doing double-duty as a threat for the party in the corridor and protecting the 100th Horror from incoming missle fire....but not for very long.

Zad

First Post
Undying - Chapter 7

Undying – Chapter 7

OOC Notes:
Exp is 5800 for 22nd, 4200 for 23rd.

Loot:
40,000gp in assorted undigested paraphernalia
+4 heavy steel shield

This Week’s Adventure:
Ralishaz paused to look over the perfectly still water. As he stared off, his form seemed to waver somehow – he would appear slightly blurry then suddenly snap back into focus. “I’m glad you could come. We’ll have more guests in a few minutes but we can begin our discussion now.”

Scorch opened with what I believe he thought was small talk. “So is this… thing with Venn permanent?”

Ralishaz was as calm as the water and said “I proposed an arrangement to Venn, and he accepted.” The answer went on a bit longer but the net result was “yes”.

“So who else are we expecting?” I asked, curious at which forces Ralishaz would bring together.

“Meltorannan, and a few others,” he replied. Meltorannan was a solar in service to Pelor that we had encountered once before. “The other deities and their limited rules of engagement have brought us to this situation.” As he finished the sentence, a planetar and a demon streaked from the sky and smashed into the water a few hundred yards away. I tried to follow them, but it was becoming more difficult. For every battle I could see, there were ten more happening in the ethereal, and the winking in and out was starting to make me light-headed.

“We are at the end of the culmination of a long and precise plan put into effect by Fraz. He is attempting to… well it’s hard to explain the mechanics… he is utilizing the far realms to channel a great deal of energy in a complicated scheme to make himself a deity.”

“His plan was to try to oust a few deities and take power that way, becoming one of the few deities native to the Prime. After all, how many Prime-based deities are there? Iuz, Vecna… and they are truly more demi-gods than fully divine beings. The Prime has very few beings of such power, and once he was one of them, the other gods would have great difficulty dealing with him.”

“And he was using the Lich Queen to traffic souls for him?” Aethramyr asked.

“Vlaakith was just as much a pawn of Fraz as anyone else. When she was no longer useful, he arranged for you to destroy her, cleaning up his tracks for him.”

Ralishaz reflected before continuing, trying to find the proper words. “There are agreements in place among existing deities you see. How do I explain this in terms you will understand… Oh and for your reference, I am now the most powerful deity on the Prime. We function as deities at a higher level than you do. We cannot make fine adjustments, only gross actions. Were a deity to come to the Prime – one who is not native to it I mean – he would enact great general changes, but like a giant trying to pull the wings from a fly, he would do as much damage as good since he cannot focus his actions very closely.”

“Fraz is attempting to become a Prime-based deity. I’m uncertain what portfolio he is trying to subsume – there are several candidates. The vacancies are there, he simply needs the raw power to do it. The souls he has been stealing are commerce used to bargain for that power. Fraz is playing a delicate yet precise game. He has opened holes from the far realms into the Prime. Or at least he had, until it was stopped.”

For the first time, Ralishaz showed a hint of a smile.

“So you were responsible for the interdiction?” Scorch asked.

I jumped in. “Well, which one? I’m confused but there several actions by different forces weren’t there? The original interdiction inhibited travel, but then there’s the current one preventing souls from being drawn away.”

Ralishaz paitently explained. “The first interdiction was the work of Fraz, but of course not him directly. He never works directly. But I am the one preventing the souls from being drained to the far realms. I cannot hold the shield forever, but it would be consuming enormous amounts of Fraz’ effort to open these holes, and I am hoping that I can outlast him.”

I was still feeling fairly confused about what was going on, particularly regarding some of the incidental happenings, but before I could start a series of questions I heard the flapping of wings announcing the arrival of a celestial.

Chance, one of Ralishaz’ avatars, stepped from behind her lord and called up to the solar “Have you come to discuss an agreement with My Lord?”

Meltorannan plummeted from the sky, then stopped his descent with one beat of his wings and landed lightly. “I have come to discuss it, if the offer still stands as we discussed.”

Chance answered back “My Lord is busy at the moment talking to these people but when he is done he will be glad to attend you.”

Ralishaz laughed ever so slightly and called out “Chance, you can let him come through. We can discuss these topics openly.”

As Meltorannan came forward he placed a hand gently on Dravot’s shoulder and said quietly “Fear not. We keep Brindinford safe for you.”

Dravot, who I then realized had been a cauldron on the verge of boiling over, spat back “And I was to be told of this when?”

If Meltorannan was fazed by this, he did not let on. “You were to be told when this is completed.”

It was then that Dravot noticed that Meltorannan bore no symbol of Pelor anywhere on him. Before he could ask, Meltorannan addressed Ralishaz. “Aylwyn is coming – I can still feel him. No doubt he will attempt to discuss this, but I’m sure he means no harm to us. He should be here momentarily – he refuses to use the ability to transport himself, presumably in observance of some limit you have placed?”

Chance was still hovering nearby. “You presume much, solar.”

Meltorannan looked at her casually. “I can presume what I will, lackey.”

Dravot decided to interrupt. “Would you mind explaining the lack of symbols of Our Lord?”

Meltorannan looked sad, and perhaps even somewhat embarrassed. “In due time, friend. In due time.”

I turned back to Ralishaz, still wondering why we had open war on the Prime. “So why the invasion of fiends and celestials?”

“Fraz’ plan was complicated, and you made it more complicated. He tried to slay you, and in the same thrust release a primal and make a further distraction for the dragons and others. In addition, he arranged for Orcus and Graz’zt to invade. This led to the rebellion among some of the celestials.”

Dravot shot a look at Meltorannan as Ralishaz continued. “The pillars of light are a stopgap measure. Creating this barrier is taking all my reserves. I am not completely solidified yet here. When you brought me to the prime many months ago, it took me some time to gather my corporeal form and energy. I must apologies for my departure causing cracks to the underdark but I assumed Meepo could handle it.”

Aethramyr stopped him. “Wait. You mean your entire body came here with the rest of Ru’un Khazai?”

Ralishaz nodded. “I transported my entire being here. Oh, that reminds me.” He directed his comments at Scorch. “I have reclaimed the eye of the dead god. It is part of the reason I am able to accomplish some of the tasks you now see.”

“Oh,” Scorch said disappointedly. “So much for the spell pool.” Scorch had been trying hard to re-establish the spell pool of the Grey Guild for some time, but time and circumstance had worked hard to prevent it. Then Scorch clutched at his chest at a small pendant, and fell to his knees. He felt some kind of burning sensation of unbelievable intensity, and then it passed.

Ralishaz looked calmly at Scorch while he recovered his wits. “I didn’t say we couldn’t share it. But this time it stays under my control. We don’t want that mess happening again.”

“In any case,” the sule god went on “the barrier is being heavily assaulted. The pillars of light are a place to shed all the extra energy being poured into the barrier. I am also using it to protect the earth primal’s prison, but that will not hold and the prison will be under assault soon enough.”

I was overwhelmed. There was just too much to take in all at once, and I couldn’t find a stable center of the storm to calm myself. I looked at Ralishaz with pleading eyes and asked “So how long until the world ends?”

A new voice announced itself behind me. “This world will not end soon while we are here.” Aylwyn had finally arrived. I may have been confused but I was still angry at the hosts, and here was finally one of them to answer for their lack of action.

“Oh?” I asked. “Well that’s a relief given how well your actions have prevented us from getting here in the first place!”

Aylwyn wasn’t in the mood to be chastised, not that I cared. “Oh, considering how your Lord has protected Celene to this point I would think you would be more grateful. Or does His every move need to be registered and approved by you? You’ll pardon me if I’m a tad irate – apparently some of us have forgotten our vows.” With that he glared at Meltorannan.

Bolo tried to step in. “Kayleigh speaks out of fear. We do not have the information you do. We are mortals and rely on faith, and her faith is lacking. Thank you for all you have done so far.”

To myself, I just repated over and over “He can’t help it he’s an idiot.” But at least it puzzled Aylwyn for a moment and he stopped ranting.

Aylwyn turned to Dravot and his head sagged. “I apologize. I did not think it would come to this point.”

Dravot was not interested in apologies. “Where. Is. Brindinford?”

Meltorannan answered “Brindinford has been moved to a demi-plane of its own making. If we left it where it was, sooner or later Orcus and his forces would have destroyed it and everyone there. We also knew that some beings” he glared hard at Aylwyn “were willing to let that happen. We chose to violate our vows to protect the people on the Prime. Too long has evil been allowed free reign. Too long has chaos been allowed. We decided among those that follow me that the Prime needs more direct intervention. It was at this point that Ralishaz made us an offer. An offer that I, speaking for the rebels, have chosen to agree to.”

Aylwyn just shook his head while Meltorannan went on. “The Prime has suffered too long at the intervention of outsiders, elementals, and beings from off-plane. Thus we have agreed to take on the title of Judges. From this point on, those who serve under me and have sworn to my cause now swear allegiance to Ralishaz. We will lend him support and endeavor to enforce stricter order on the Prime.” As Meltorannan spoke his skin began fading from alabaster white to a more ashen grey.

I still didn’t fully understand this shift in loyalty, but the battle between fiend and celestial was still a stalemate. I asked “Are you and your bretheren in a position to repel the forces of Orcus and Graz’zt?”

Ralishaz had only a hint of satisfaction when he answered “They are now.” As he said this, the solar continued to change. His wings became gull grey, and his sword faded into wisps of ether and smoke, and then reformed into a long staff. Meltorannan was now fully a servant of Ralishaz.

Dravot was furious. “So we’ve avoided Fraz and Orcus but now you will be masters of the Prime? How is this any better?”

Meltorannan looked almost hurt. “No. We are trying to prevent this from happening again.”

In the skies above, and throughout the ethereal, the Judges joined into the battle. As each staff struck a fiend, there was a flash and the fiend was banished back to the Abyss. Slowly at first, but with increasing speed, the tide turned, and the fiends were turned back.

Unable to keep my feet any longer, I plopped onto a large rock. I wanted to understand but didn’t know where to begin. “So is Orcus’ attack turned back?”

Ralishaz gestured absently for a moment and then said “You have to understand something. Orcus is, in my opinion, dumb as a post. Sure he’s a demon prince and all. But Orcus has the mistaken belief that he can extend his rule on the Prime. And while he expects many things, he doesn’t begin to realize how devious Fraz is. This is because he actually thinks he is smarter than Fraz.”

“But if you can cleanse the Prime of this mess…” I started.

“Not entirely but I can enforce certain rules. My portfolio has changed somewhat However Rauxes is not technically part of the Prime right now so that complicates things where Rauxes is concerned and by extension Orcus.”

I looked at Ralishaz with what is, I’m sure, the same look one would get from a cow after attempting to explain divination magic to it.

“Orcus is smart enough to know how to skirt by some of the rules I can enforce,” Ralishaz went on. “I can enforce the rules, but that’s not the same as keeping them from being broken. I can make it more difficult, but a being of sufficient power such as Orcus – particularly Orcus who can take the unliving and enhance them – will be more difficult to handle. Orcus violates the rules but he is now entrenched and therefore it is harder to enforce them on him.”

Dravot was irate – he saw this as merely trading one evil tyrant for another. He asked icily “And what do you get out of this?”

Ralishaz’ calmness washed away for a moment and let through what I suspect was something more typical of Venn. “What have I gotten? Did I mention that I’m now the most powerful being on the Prime?!?”

Dravot was unsatisfied. “I’m still not seeing a difference between one tyrant or another.”

“I did not instigate the rebellion, I simply offered an option to mitigate it.”

Bolo asked “So what did instigate it?”

Ralishaz waved at us. “You discussed it yourselves. Where are the deities? Why aren’t they doing anything? You were not alone in these questions and indeed some of the very celestial host itself asked them as well. Why aren’t we doing something about this?”

Ralishaz wandered slightly. “You should know that Rauxes itself is a direct result of Pelor’s last incursion onto the Prime. Rules are rules after all. If one is allowed excess, then by compact and association another deity is allowed further sway for a time. And of course some are more subtle than others. Your Sehanine manages to function on the Prime more effectively than others because she works through agents which she contacts through an entirely separate realm. And her husband is perhaps the most subtle of all.”

There was something there. Something in that statement was for me. I wish I had asked more. But the conversation was wandering across a dozen topics and it was difficult to keep a clear head. Instead I went another route. “So your forces have removed the demons, but that still leaves the undead, and whomever you said was about to assault the earth primal, and of course the fact that Fraz is still drawing out souls.”

“Fraz, unlike Orcus, is not stupid. He knew sooner or later he’d get direct intervention of some sort. The Prime has been invaded far too many times in the last six months. Fraz has collected a great deal of power, and he has given a large measure of that power to Orcus, but Orcus spends it foolishly. In any case, Fraz will be spending power holding open the portals to the far realms, and this is taxing. He cannot keep it up for very long.”

I was starting to sense the entire point of drawing us here. “And so who is attacking the primal?”

“Oh, they’re probably from Orcus. There’s an undersea monstrosity down there moving towards the prison. With it are two outsiders too powerful for the Judges to turn away. They should reach the prison in ten or fifteen minutes. I could say more but they have been partially protected, and I am stretched somewhat thin.”

The catch at last – the reason we were brought here: to defend the prison. “Why us?”

Ralishaz was frank. “Only a handful of beings are capable of defending the earth primal. Of those, only you would I even consider asking. Only you have shown a concern for preserving the Prime. While I may share a certain… outlook with the Circle of Eight, they are impotent fools. They’re more concerned with maintaining their petty games than maintaining the state of the Prime in general. Their subtle manipulation even of you show that they are more worried about a balance of power than they are the nature of the Prime itself. If they will not show concern, then I will assume that role. I could compel you I suppose, but I would not even if I were not so strained. If you cannot do it freely than I do not know what it would benefit to compel you.”

“But what would be the point really?” I asked. “Even if we defeat this attack now, what good does it do? They would just attack again.”

“You underestimate how costly this has been for Orcus and Fraz. If you succeed, it will not be a final victory, but it will buy you many months of time to regroup and plan.”

I just nodded at that. I didn’t think there was much question we would act, and apparently neither did Ralishaz. He continued on. “I perceive two threats. How you deal with them I cannot advise. The primary threat is the one to the prison located under the Nyr Dyv. But the second threat is merely a distraction – whether you engage it or not is your choice. Coming through the forest is a Gulthias Horror of some power making its way to Dyvers. Presumably it’s coming to create general havoc to distract any defenders.”

We started discussing the particulars, but Dravot was not interested. He instead turned to Aylwyn. There was no question on his face, just disappointment.

Aylwyn said “If it’s any consolation to you, I know little more than you do. But I do have faith. I know the longer goals will bear their fruit. If it was an easy path to walk, you would not have been chosen. Though I do not agree with the doing of it, Brindinford was moved to protect you.”

“And why could I not be told of this? Have I done so little that I am not worthy of knowing this? Thorkeld arrived to find everyone he’d ever known and cared about was gone, and probably dead. Does his faith mean so little that he should suffer so?” Dravot’s anger flashed in his eyes, but the solar did not wince.

“Telling you would have jeapordized Brindinford’s safety. Had Thorkeld known ahead of time, your enemies would have had more time to find it’s hiding place.”

Still unsatisfied Dravot asked “And what about after the fact? We could not be told then?”

Aylwyn tried to suppress a bitter smile. “That would be in about five minutes, Saint. We are still finishing up.”

“So what of this threat in the lake? Should I help? Or should I follow the lead of my god and stand idly by?”

Aylwyn was showing great patience. “I said you would be tested. This is your test of faith. You must decide.”

Dravot pondered this for a few silent moments, and finally he nodded that he would go. I personally had no doubt. A war of the gods is a difficult matter and feels impossible to deal with. But a threatening sea monster is another matter entirely and I knew he would not sit by while he could act. Then I stepped in. “I’m sorry to intrude but we have some fundamental problems as well. Namely that we cannot breath or fight effectively underwater.”

Aylwyn looked quietly at me with a small smile. “If Dravot wishes to go, then I shall make it possible.” He invoked his divine mandate, and we were all able to breathe and move underwater. The gesture cost him severely however – his cheeks were sunken and he was battered and bruised, the scars of his recent battle weighting on him more heavily. Dravot cast a small blessing on him to ease his discomfort and Aylwyn seemed to genuninely appreciate the gesture more than the blessing itself.

“Well that only leaves us one more problem,” I said. “Our time is short and we must quickly reach the middle of the lake. And if my memory serves, we lack enough teleportation magic to do the job.”

Scorch had been pondering his crystal for some time. “I think I can help with that now. I think I have this figured out. It’s very different from before, but still…”

The plan was set. Scorch had discerned enough to utilize the spell pool and we could teleport out. We had one too many to all teleport to the temple below the lake, so Windsaber would go stall the Gulthias Horror while we fought off the monster. Windsaber bounded off and we were quickly teleported to the middle of the great inland sea.

The shafts of glowing light penetrated the water, and the closer the water was to the barrier, the less it moved. At the very end, everything just stopped – the water, the fish, everything. We descended into the depths of the water and passed all manner of fish, none of which were moving at all.

In with the fish were some creatures called reekmurks. They were some kind of native to the plane of shadow, and could be dangerous if they swarm. To see more than one would be unusual at best – in these numbers it was obviously no chance. Dravot called a great light from his mace, and as we descended the burning light of Pelor caused the creatures to shrivel and die just from the bright light.

As we reached the bottom, we started to make out spires rising from the seabed piercing the radiance of Pelor descending with us. The stone seemed natural enough, but there was no coral or fungus growing on it. The broken architecture looked reminiscent of Ekbir in design. Then we realized the stone wasn’t natural at all – the ruins were all made from isometril.

At the bottom, there were several structures half buried in the sand. But one building was out of place with the others. It was fairly ornate, and clearly not Sule in design. It appeared to be from a much later time, and was covered in carvings used by grey elves. Our best guess is that it was only built some 2000 years ago, which made it an infant compared to the other structures. The carvings seemed to indicate some kind of contract but it was not related to the primal – it would have been far too recently built for that.

The carvings indicated that the builders knew of the primal, and used its presence to hide their prize as well. Then we found another carving near the door – the upper body of a being surrounded by three rings.

The small temple held a binder.

Suddenly the barrier faded, and fish and plants began moving once again. The fish suddenly scattered as if pursued and we knew the beast must be very close – Bolo guessed it was only a few hundred feet away now. We made our last preparations just as long tentacles began touching the edge of the illumination. Then with a sudden push, a giant red eye appeard and a massive kraken tasted the water, wondering what these strange creatures were, and how we would taste.

On either side of the kraken were two twisted monstrosities that could have only come from the far realms. Their anatomy made no sense with long serpentine bodies and mouths in improbable places. Surrounding these twisted things were some small dog-like demons – skulvens.

A giant sea monster the size of a village square, two twisted demons from the far realms, and their hunting packs; well, at least something in this day was typical for us.

Valanthe sliced open one of the skulven with a single stroke, and they proved to be weak creatures. Scorch decided that this creature would need to be weakened before it would be more manageable, and drained away some of the creature’s strength. But then the kraken lashed out in a flurry of tentacles flailing at everyone from an insanely long way away. Everyone was injured, but Bolo (who was in the form of a kraken himself, albeit a much smaller one by comparison) was nearly ripped in half by the assault. If it hadn’t been for the divine luck bestowed by Ralishaz’ avatar Cheat, he may very well have been killed on the spot.

Bolo spoke a Holy Word, and while it was not strong enough to dismiss the worms it was more than able to banish the skulven. Then with a brief look at each other, Aethramyr and I charged the kraken.

A creature the size of a house, and I charged it. It was depressing but necessary – arrows would not fly far underwater. To do any good at all, I would have to be very close to the kraken, and given how large it was, it was going to take everything Aethramyr and I had to defeat it.

Valanthe came in from behind the kraken and we started what I was sure would be the long process of destroying this beast. Valanthe, Aethramyr and I attacked mercilessly with everything we had. Scorch further weakened the creature – I’m sure such a massive beast could not grasp how it had become so tired. The kraken was flailing in pain but still fighting and snapped all its tentacles at Aethramyr. But it had been so weakened that its assault was far less potent than it should have been and Aethramyr absorbed the punishment and continued to attack. Dravot invoked Pelor’s name and our wounds were all healed, and we renewed our attack. Finally Valanthe drove Shadowcut deep into an already open wound as large as she was. The blade struck hard, and the kraken stiffened for a moment, then began sinking limply to the lake bed.

Meanwhile, Dravot and the paladins were holding off the worms. As Zira slashed at one of them, their ichor spewed into the water and made Bolo and Zira wretch violently. Scorch was able to banish one of the snakes, and the other was being slowly hacked apart by Dravot and the paladins. Bolo put his own tentacles into play and finally ripped the creature apart, and with that the earth primal was safe.

Now able to take more time, we set about reading the full set of inscriptions on the temple. It seemed to state that whomever had done this believed the location of two of the binders had been compromised, and had moved them. Valanthe was able to open the temple door, and we went down the hallway to the single room within.

Inside, the binder waited, its rings pulsing through the water. We were wondering which binder it was, when it made the answer plain. In a rolling wave, all the magic surrounding us dissipated. Bolo immediately reverted to his elven form. Of course this meant that none of us could breathe any longer. However the binder accounted for this too, and the water in the area was transmuted into air, and we stood before the trapped prince.

There was still the Gulthias horror attacking Dyvers to be considered, so I was brief. “Prince Tupal ben Baharol, greetings. Let’s get you out of here, and then we’ll get you out of that.”

We heard the Prince in our mind. He was stuffy and formal. “Very well, then by contract you must take control of the binder and I shall obey.”

All eyes turned to Scorch who was managing to keep his lust in check, at least for now. I shrugged and attempted to take control of the binder, but despite a good try it did not yield to my control. We looked to Dravot who had the strongest will of us, and he was able to force the binder to obey.

Thwarted an assassination, stopped a giant sea monster, talked to a new diety, and rescued a binder. I hope we can stop for dinner soon.

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
The binder was rescued and they stood in the chamber where it had lain for centuries. Bolo felt light headed. He has clearly died but just before his soul left his body the power of Ralishaz flowed through him and he could see time and chance flow backward. The claw of the Infernal Kraken instead missed his eye and did not pierce his brain. Then being forced out of his kraken form by the magics of the binder it was all so overwhelming.
He stood in his “Elven” form in front of the binder and as Dravot picked it up Bolo swooned. He glowed with the soft light of a new day dawning and when he realized Thorkeld was holding him up, he looked around at the other’s faces. “What happened?” He asked. Then he felt the magic.

Bolo had become somehow enchanted when he was last reincarnated. He knew this. He had come back as a Centaur but the fluxuations in the cosmology created by their destroying the Shadow taker had caused him to revert back to his Elven form. He had felt the changes soon after. He was transforming slowly into a Fae creature. Something unique it would seem, and now the transformation was complete.
He stood slightly smaller than he had been a few moments ago and thinner closer to his original Halfling size but not quite so small. He took out a mirror and saw that his ears had changed shape they were now swept far back with the points more horizontal the pointing up like an elves ears. His hair and skin had a slightly glittery look like he had been dusted with fine flecks of silver and gold. His eyes were now golden and pupil less seeming to be the color of the sun at dawn. He stood and brushed himself off. The day could only get better from here on out.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Details about the fight:

Setup: For them, there was the kraken, the snakey-things (they had a name but I didn't record it) and the skulven. They skulven were a non-issue. On our side you had the six PC's and two NPC paladins on team sun, plus some NPC shadows on team shadow that got into the mix late.

Environment: It was underwater. This was bad for us. We had water breathing and freedom of movement put on us so that took care of most of the problems except for the archer. Water means -2 to hit per five feet of water.

The kraken and his posse came up, and we were by then mostly buffed and ready. We had enough time to get up all the round-per-level buffs we might have wanted. The kraken started doing whirlwind attacks from a long way away. Destroyed my mirror images, and smacked people around generally. He did this for a couple rounds.

Meanwhile Aethramyr and I charged him. I had to be right next to him to keep my hit chances (as well as versimilitude) up. We just started pounding him as hard as we could - smite evils, power attacks, etc. I was dumping spare spells into my shots to up my damage. Valanthe swung in behind and started gutting him too.

Scorch decided to break out a new trick that he preped based on my suggestion a few sessions earlier. Ray of enfeeblement combined with things like waves of exhaustion and Valanthe's sneak attacks started really taking a toll on his strength. It shaved down his hit chance and his damage pretty substantially. WoE is 6 str, and I think Scorch maximized his ray so that was another 11 maybe, plus Valanthe knocking off a couple. Around the third round or so, Aethramyr had done some fierce damage and the kraken concentrated his attacks on him. I was bracing for a lot of pain, but the strength drain meant he only took 84 damage, which was managable. Dravot dropped a mass heal in our direction and we carried on.

Interesting tidbit: Freedom of Movement means you automatically succeed at all grapple checks. So when the squid tried to grab Aethramyr, it didn't work flat out.

Eventually we just beat it into submission. I think it was four or five rounds.

On the other side of the battle, Dravot and Team Sun was making a stand against the worms. Bolo was there too but he got nauseated early and lost a few rounds that way. Mostly it was a holding action but Team Sun dished out a good bit of abuse on one of the snakeys. Scorch banished the other snakey and things tipped in our favor.

Overall Scorch didn't throw a single direct-damage spell which is unusual, but at the same time made maximum use of his capabilities in ways that didn't just do hit-point damage.

So to characterize the battle, it was an enormously high hit point monster that had to be fought in bad conditions that hampered one of our stronger damage dealers. The good news is that we adapted and got it done.

dravot

First Post
wolff96 said:
Thanks for the update. I appreciate you guys satisfying my curiousity.

The Freedom of Movement saved you guys a LOT of pain. That +96 grapple check is relatively difficult to overcome. :) Then again, with enough strength drains...
+96? Great Ceasar's Ghost!!!

Actually, it was quite fun. We made sure to keep mum about the Freedom of Movement vs. grapple rule until WizarDru sprung it on us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads