Wizards, Whiskey and Wonderful Things - Concluded

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 101, “Minerva’s Committee“, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 1:00 P.M.

Back at the Lucky Lady Jake says, "Senorita, I'm not sure I understand what your plan is. I suppose I don't need to, we'll help you were we can." Jake pushes out his chair and gets up.
"I have an errand to run folks, make yourselves at home. I'll be back shortly." He leaves them chatting and heads out.

Jake makes his way over to Hammer's jewelry store and inquires about the ruby ring Miss West was partial to. He chats with him for a while and then examines the ring carefully before offering the man $150 for it. "I'm sure all the people who will see Ruby wearing this when she performs will be asking about it. You know how women are, she'll be proudly telling them what great jewelry you carry." Jake buys the ring and heads back to the saloon.

Jake comes back to the Lucky Lady but most of his friends are gone. He catches Nanuet making himself useful, "You just can't be lazy can you? I could almost feel guilty watching you work." Jake laughs, "Almost. Come on upstairs with me I want to show you something."

Up in his room Jake points to a pile in the corner near the desk. "Here is some stuff we took from Cowboys yesterday. I asked Katherine to tell me if anything was enchanted, and she said the bullets in these guns were." Jake then carefully takes each of the weapons from the pile and places them on the desk. There is one revolver and four rifles. Jake starts removing the ammunition from them and indicates Nanuet should do the same. Once they are all removed Jake and Nanuet examine them carefully and compare them to the other loose rounds that Jake took from the cowboys.

Nanuet replies, "OK, so any idea how many of the bullets are magical, or what exactly they do? Magic is a power with many variations as I am sure you have noticed by now. I mean I know you can't tell yourself, but did anyone else happen to figure it out?" Nanuet picks up the guns one by one and looks them over carefully trying to not if there are any special markings or features.

"You got me, Indian. I was hoping you'd know more than me. I didn't want to leave anything good behind, and Katherine said to get these items. Before I came to Promise City, magic was stuff for children’s bedtime stories." Jake shrugs. Nanuet says, "Well I can tell which ones are magical but as far as what they do, not really. Before I came to Promise City, guns were only used by white men."

When Minerva stops back at the Comstock House she is surprised to see that the dining room is packed. She recognizes some of the faces from the worship service although doesn't know most of the people by name yet, others are faces of people she recognizes as Lucky Lady patrons, and others are faces are people she has never seen. Judge Lacey is sitting at the head of one table with Russell Lee at the head of the other.

Beatrice Lee approaches her and says, "Minerva, immediately following the service the entire Vigilance Committee went into a private meeting over at the Great Western Boarding House. They're still meeting now. We decided to hold our own here to counter whatever they come up with and help plan this festival of yours.

Judge Lacey stands and introduces those present, town blacksmith Henry Weller, Alhambra Saloon owner Steve Lord, Comique Variety Hall and Saloon Owners Al Brower and Pierre Jaquet, Boyd's Cigar Store Manager Alton Boyd, Niles Hoover who co-owns the Lucky Lady, Long Branch Saloon Owner Kate Higgins, Brown's Ice House owner Hannibal Brown and his son Maxwell, Mine Cartage Company Owner Zackary Morand, Tannery owner Trector Driscoll, Gay Lady Dance Hall and Saloon owner Burton Lumley and Deputy Sheriff Colin Hunter.

Minerva is beaming "I am very pleased that you have all come. Please Let us sit and share ideas. Tell me what you have in mind." She says. Lacey says "We want to have a Festival Committee all firmed up before the other group decides to veto the whole idea. We really need that Fire equipment and many of us here also don't subscribe to their narrow interpretation of how the church should be run. Now's the time to establish you as our Town Preacher, and this Festival is a good way to do that."

Niles Hoover says, "Priestess, is there anybody else who you know of that should serve on this Committee?" She replies, “Gentlemen and Ladies, I am pleased that we are all of the same mind. I have spoken to a few people who are willing to assist. Senorita Ruby West of the Lucky Lady has volunteered to help with the "arts" part of the festival. Organizing music and possibly performing a play and Senor Jake Cook, also of the Lucky Lady is also willing to assist perhaps the saloon owners could put their heads together and come up with something. I also feel that Senor Katherine Kale should be involved. She will be opening a school for the children in the area and would be a wise choice to organize some activities for the children.

And you Senor Hoover, you had mentioned organizing shooting competitions did you not? I would like to add as much diversity to the festival as possible. It would be wonderful if we could include some of the local Indian and Mexican folklore and culture as well. Is there not a Mexican priest on the outskirts of town? Perhaps we could involve him as well." We should advertise also, and very soon!. The sooner the Festival date is published the less chance the Vigilance committee has of sabotaging it. We should discuss a date immediately."

Steve Lord says, "Well, as far as publishing is concerned the halfling newspaperman Chumbley is expected to arrive on the stagecoach this evening, so we could fill him in today." Hoover says, "I've been thinking about that. Sunday would be ideal for a worship service as part of the festival, but Sunday nights aren't the best to celebrate Dionysus, given that people have to work the next day. How about we start this on a Saturday afternoon and run it through to a Sunday afternoon." Minerva smiles broadly at him, "Very wise and thoughtful Senor Hoover. We could even do a sunset service Saturday night to kickoff the festivities. I like your suggestion."

Ruby walked slowly down the stairs and headed back to the kitchen. Two small bottles like the ones she had given Ruby the day before were waiting on the table, along with a small package of tealeaves. Ruby smiled and put them in her pockets. "Thank you Dorita, you're the best!" Ruby said with her trademark smile. "And I'm quite sure Mr. Cook will thank you too, for all of this," she says with a wink. "And now I'm off to see what other troubles I can get into. Thanks again."

Kate arrives in Gonzalas's rooms. He is not there, and his beds in both the El Parador and his mansion do not appear to have been slept in. She notes that his traveling clothes are also gone. Kate sighed and spent a few moments looked for any kind of note. Finding none, she quickly slipped back downstairs to meet Ruby. They might as well stay together. She caught her coming back out of the kitchen with her teas. "He's gone again," Kate said quietly to Ruby, "So we wait again. I might as well come back to the Lady with you."

Ruby and Kate walk back to the Lucky Lady. "Kate, I'm going to rest I think, but if you see Nanuet can you send him up please?" Ruby gives Kate a quick hug then heads upstairs. She hears some noise coming from their room, so she sweeps in and calls out, "Baby?" Then she sees Jake and Nanuet standing over a pile of... stuff. "Oh, are you two busy?" Ruby asks sitting on the bed. "Nanuet, I wanted to talk to you, maybe take a walk?" "Sure, we can walk. It's nice out today anyway." Ruby gives Jake a kiss then heads downstairs with Nanuet. Ruby and Nanuet leave to go for their walk.

Suddenly alone in the Lucky Lady, Kate cleaned up the ruins of the group's breakfast, humming under her breath. Once Ruby got back with Nanuet and actually get to resting, she could go back to the El Parador and spend some time with Ginnie. There were still many things to worry about, but Kate wasn't afraid. Not for herself, at least. Just uncertain.

She had no idea what to do next. She didn't like the idea of just waiting for the Gang to make a move, but she doubted she could convince the others to go to the Earp's especially considering she really shouldn't go with them. Once the breakfast was cleaned up Kate sat down at the piano and played wonderingly, hoping a direction would come to her mind.

Ruby explains what happened while him and Chester were held captive and he in return tells his story and when he learned. They walk around town with the puppies in tow until they end up at the grove.

“You know,” Ruby begins, “When you were gone and Ringo came to the Lucky Lady, I came here and well, I asked your ancestors to help me. And then Storm showed up, like my spell worked and she heard me, I almost couldn’t believe it.” He says, "I am not all that surprised, your talents and abilities are more varied than you believe them to be. You may never become the most powerful at one focus, but you will grow and branch out like this mighty tree here, your roots growing stronger as your branches spread out to encompass more."

Nanuet kneels down to play with the puppies. "I apologize, I have been slacking on my duties to train these little pups, hopefully things will be quiet for a little while so I can spend some more time with them so that they will serve you better." She says, "You are so wise, Nanuet, you always say things that make me feel good." Ruby also leans down and pets the puppies, who are rambunctiously bouncing around. "You have no need to apologize ever. The puppies are great."

Ruby giggles, "Well, maybe Jake doesn't think so, they seem to like to chew on him." Ruby watches Nanuet for a moment before putting her hand gently on his arm. "I need to tell you how much I appreciate what you did yesterday..." When Nanuet looks up he sees Ruby's eyes start to get wet. "You were the one, you really saved my life."

Nanuet lifts her head gently and then wipes her eyes with a gentle touch. "I am still unsure why I was given this gift, but I am grateful for it as it has come in handy more than once. It was the necklace really, and I wish I knew it was so bad sooner or I think it would have been a little less dramatic for all of us. I see that you are feeling better, but I am afraid you will have that scar for good." he says reaching out to her shoulder. "I think I will try and visit Kajika soon, to see if I can expand my healing abilities, so I do not need to rely on the necklace as often."

“Well, that’s my fault. I didn’t realize it was so bad either, I thought I could have made it to the doctor. But you are the only one who can use that necklace and without you and the power of your ancestors…” Ruby shakes her head. “Maybe one day we can talk about your ancestors. You worship them like gods I guess? I don’t believe in the gods.” Ruby looks away, “Or maybe I do and I just think they abandoned me, I don’t know. I’ve never seen any proof of them myself. I have no faith in them or almost anything for that matter, except maybe myself... or maybe Jake.”

“The scar,” she says looking down at her shoulder, “Yes, my body isn’t as perfect as it once was.” Ruby looks sad as she speaks, “I’ve gotten quite a few scars since I’ve been here in Promise City.” She looks up again at Nanuet. “Expanding your healing abilities can’t be a bad thing can it?” she smiles. “Well, if there is anything I can ever do for you, I know I won’t ever be able to pay you back, but anything at all you can think of, please tell me. And I mean anything.”

"Again you sell yourself short. You have already done much for me. Before I came here I was alone, all the time alone. You and Jake, Kate, Chester, Minerva and so many others have become my friends and family. To me that is a great treasure. To be honest with you I do not quiet put my faith in the Gods either, even the Gods of my people. My family raised me, taught me, showed me the ways of the world, so it is to them that I pray and ask for guidance. There are spirits out there though that are greater than others, and I know they watch over us to."

“You have faith in something, you are lucky.” Ruby takes Nanuet’s hands in hers. “I was alone too, so don’t sell yourself short either. You have been a good friend, the best kind of friend, to both me and Jake and we both know it and appreciate it.” Ruby smiles, “Jake thought very highly of you, even before yesterday. You did the same for him that you did for me. I hope you’ll plan on sticking around here for a long time, as long as we are here anyway.”

"I had not planned on leaving any time soon. As a matter of fact, I have no real plans at all. I like it here, well enough to stick around anyway, and one lesson I have learned lately is that no matter what plans you make fate has it's own desires." Nanuet pauses slightly before continuing. "Glad that you have settled in a bit too, I know it was hard for you to stop running. Hard for both of I guess, used to living a life on the move where it doesn't really matter what you leave behind you because you aren't going back. I think I kinda like this way of life better, how about you?"

"Stop running?" Ruby looks a little uncomfortable for a moment, then relaxes, "Ok, so I'm that obvious, huh?" she laughs. "Yes, this way of life is much better, I'm very happy here, happier than I've ever been in my life. Except for the getting shot and almost dying part. Alright, I'm getting a bit tired, I don't think I got enough sleep last night."

Nanuet finally notices Ruby is still pale. "There are really only two things I can offer you in thanks, two things that I'm any good at. One is a song, the other..." Ruby leans in closer to Nanuet and kisses him softly on the lips, for just a second too long, "Thank you Nanuet." She smiles at him and starts heading back to the Lucky Lady, the puppies jumping all around her as she walks.

Nanuet stands stunned for a moment, the warmth of Ruby's soft lips lingering. He is unsure what to say or do next. He puts his hands to his lips and breathes deeply. "Well, she doesn't lie, she is good at it." he says for no one in particular.

Jake comes down stairs to the main room to find Katherine toying with the piano. "Hello Katherine, feeling better today?" She replies, "Yes, much better. Ruby seems better too, although she should slow down a bit and rest." Kate played a few more bars, smiling over her shoulder at Jake. "I am worried though. I don't like sitting doing nothing when the Cowboy's have started their war."

Jake comes over close and says quietly so only the two of them can hear. "We collected some tools yesterday. Knowing what they are and can do would give us an advantage. Can you do it? Or get Gonzalez to do it? It's not something that I can do. We need any advantage we can get."

Kate kept her voice low as well. "Mr. Gonzales is gone again, he took his traveling clothes. Not even a note this time. I might be able to find some information about those items, but I won't be able to tell you exactly what they do. There are different kinds of enchantments, the best I can do is give you a general idea. Like if the enchantment is meant to defend, harm, and affect the mind... you see? I won't be able to tell you the exact effect."

Markus Jackson enters the Lucky Lady followed by his son Billy Bob and Billy's wife Lurleen. They walk up to the bar and Jackson asks Harry Rote "Is Mills around?" Harry replies, "Haven't seen him yet today sir. Would you care for a drink?" Right after the Jackson's walk in, Ruby does too. She sees Jake and Kate, but stops at the bar. "I would like a drink Harry. So, you're friends of Jeff?" Ruby asks while leaning back against the bar.

"Yeah, is he around?" Jackson asks in his thick Alabama accent. Jake stops talking to Katherine and listens to the conversation at the bar. She replies, "He should be, I'm not exactly sure where he is at the moment." Ruby nods to Harry as he gives her the drink, "Can you see if Jeff is in?" . Harry heads upstairs looking for Jeff. "Jake?" Kate said quietly as she turned her head. She saw the strangers at the bar and turned back, leading her playing into a quiet piece that would let Jake hear.

Ruby turns back to Jackson and asks, "So, how do you know him?" What business is that of yours?" Jackson asks Harry comes down and says, "Not in his room, must be out. Doesn't he have today off?" Ruby replies, "Thanks Harry." She turns back to Jackson and sips her drink. "Well, he does work for me, so his business is my business. Sorry, it appears he's out. Do you want to leave a message?" "No, we'll be back later," he says. The three turn and head towards the door. "Alright then. I'll tell Jeff you stopped by. And oh, we have a great chef if you're in need of dinner," Ruby calls after them.

Jake turns away from the others and says in a whisper, "Tell us what you can, and help us decide who can benefit best. We'll take the risk. We need your guidance." "I'll do what I can. I need to see them again, probably at the El Parador. I might need to do some research." Kate smiled suddenly and said in the same whisper, "It's nice to be needed." He replies, "Come upstairs and I'll put the bullets in a bag. Mostly, I think I wonder about the items you already have at the El Parador." Jake and Katherine go upstairs, where Jake gives her the bullets in a small pouch. "I'll let you let yourself out. Maybe if I stay up here Ruby will finally come up and get some rest."

Chester comes down the stairs as the trio leaves the front door . "So who were those people" Ruby says, "Friends of Jeff's. They seemed pretty frustrated, not sure if it's because he's not here or maybe they're mad at him. I wonder if he slept in today, like I wish I had." Chester replies, "Hmph. Kinda suspicious, them showing up after Jeff tells us his past. Oh well. Guess I'm a bit paranoid today. You can still take a nap. What's stopping you?"

"Nothing, I'm going. I'm glad everyone is so worried about me." Ruby gives him a smile, then kisses his cheek. "No more getting kidnapped," Ruby says sternly, "That's an order." She turns on her heel and goes up to her room. Chester calls after her. "Yes, ma'am." He shakes his head and says to Harry, "There's nothing that'll keep her down. Thank the gods."

Kate smiles and tells Jake, "I'll go down the back way. I'll be back as soon as I can, but this may take a while. I'm no expert." Kate smiled and slipped out of the room and down the stairs, out the back door and back to the El Parador.

Ruby finally makes it back to their room, where Jake is sitting in the chair reading over an old newspaper. Ruby comes in silently, pulls her shoes off and then her dress, leaving her corset and underclothes on. She throws the dress on the other chair then walks over to Jake. She takes the paper out of one of Jake’s hands, and plops down on his lap. She wraps her arms around his neck and puts her head on his shoulder, her legs dangling over the side of the chair. “Hi baby,” is all she says.

“How’d your little chat with Katherine go?” Jake asks, moving some hair off her face. Ruby lets out an “Ugh,” and shakes her head. “Well, she thinks that Storm brought her dead husband to her and that the goddess Diana gave him a body so he could say goodbye properly.” Ruby doesn’t need to see Jake’s face before she continues, “Yes, she thinks she made love to her dead husband last night. So I reminded her that I don’t believe in the gods and that she must have just been exhausted and had a dream. Either that or she slept with Conrad and doesn’t want to admit it.” Ruby pulls herself closer to Jake, “I’m worried about her.”

Jake drops the paper on the floor. "That IS quite a story. You think all this stress has finally gotten to her? Why would she need to make up any story at all if she slept with Conrad.” "Because despite what you think it's not proper for a woman to sleep with a man when you're not married," Ruby teases, "That's why. Kate wouldn't think of sleeping with someone unless she was married. So maybe she was tired and did it, and now is embarrassed." Ruby shrugs, "I don't know. She should know we wouldn't care." Ruby puts her nose up against Jake's neck and breathes in deeply, enjoying his musky scent. "I think she was dreaming, everyone was exhausted yesterday."

"Gods," he says while twirling some of her hair that fell forward, "why do people feel compelled to blather on about it when they do something they don't want people to know." Jake tickles Ruby's chin with the hair he was twirling. "So, what kind of trouble are you plotting in Tombstone? What did Helen Barker do now?"

"Helen Barker deliberately brought her cousin here so she could make me hurt him. I know you may not think so, but George Eastman isn't really that bad of a man, he's just misguided. And for all he's done, he's only done it to try to make me happy. Unfortunately for him, he just doesn't know what DOES make me happy," Ruby picks her up head, caresses Jake’s face with her fingertips and kisses him softly. "I DO feel bad that he ended up in jail, it was my fault he got drunk. I can't help it. We do have some history together; maybe that's why I have this feeling."

The she leans in close and whispers in his ear... "Damn, that's a fools errand. If you ask me, it's way too much effort for very little satisfaction. This is only going to be trouble, I can see that clearly. I won't stop you, but if I have to deal with obstinate George Eastman trying to buy Ruby West again I doubt I will be as polite as last time." Jake leans his head way back in the chair. "I would be nice to be back for Wednesday night, my poker players are starting to forget what I look like."

"Yeah, but you don't have Helen Barker looking down at you, calling you the help, do you?" Ruby's eyes start to grow fiery again, "Look, all I did was talk to her husband one night and she's hated me ever since, even before she knew who I was. She was ALWAYS jealous of my father’s fortune and always jealous that I got the attention and not her. I'm glad that you can play nice, let her take your money at the card table and kiss her ass when necessary but I don't want to continue living her letting her think she pulled something over on me" Ruby clenches her jaw and crosses her arms. “Why should I let her treat me that way? And why shouldn’t George know?”

"Woo hoo!" Jake says laughing so hard Ruby is almost bouncing on his chest, "That was no small feat keeping all that bottled up inside there woman." Jake gently but persistently uncrosses her arms. "You have your fun anyway you like, but let's set the record straight shall we? I don't wish to kiss Helen's scrawny little ass nor does she win more money from me than she leaves here. Although it's no consolation to you I'm sure, but her weekly poker playing helps pay for the whiskey we so enjoy." He drapes Ruby's arms back around his neck. "I don't give a rat's tail about what George knows either way." He pulls his head back to get a look at her face; her eyes are cloudy gray and her jaw muscles are still tight. "It's going to be hard to kiss me grinding those teeth like that."

“Well, she’s not planning on coming back. She already informed Stanley he was playing piano at the Comique from now on.” Ruby puts her head back down on Jake’s shoulder and he can hear her taking deep breaths in and out. He feels her body relaxing, although slowly, and her breathing finally returns to normal. They sit quietly for a few minutes in silence. Ruby closes her eyes and twirls a single finger in Jake’s hair. Finally she breaks the silence, “So,” she starts quietly, “What were you thinking yesterday, you know, when you thought I was going to die?” She continues to twirl her finger and she keeps her eyes closed and relaxed.

Ruby can feel the change in Jake's breathing as soon as she finished speaking. He expels a large breath and says, "Thanks for bringing that up." He waits a moment before speaking again. "I knew you could die, I know we almost lost you, but I also believed that you weren't going to die yesterday. It wasn't your time. Not that I wasn't worried mind you. You know how I am about feeling helpless, and at that point there was nothing that I could do to help you." He is quiet again.

“Am I supposed to act like it didn’t happen?” Ruby opens her eyes and looks at Jake. “How did you know it wasn’t my time? I wish I had the same confidence, I thought I was going to die.” She calmly stares at him for a moment. “But you did help me.”

"I don't know how you are supposed to act. Am I supposed to enjoy talking about it? Seeing it again in my mind? We both know what it's like on each side don't we?" He gazes into her eyes which have started to change from stormy gray to warm green. "Don't you just ever know something? Like who's standing behind you or what card is going to come up next? I don't know if we are we ever really sure of much, but somehow some part of me said it wasn't your time to leave. The rest of me was indescribably glad that small part of me was right. I don't understand how I helped you."

“No,” Ruby replies softly, “You’re not supposed to enjoy it.” Ruby puts her hand on Jake’s face and gently turns it to hers. “If you weren’t there, if you weren’t here in my life I don’t know that I would have wanted to make it so badly. I couldn’t bare the thought of leaving you behind.” Ruby puts her head back down in Jake’s shoulder. “It must have been a really bad week to be Ruby West’s boyfriend, huh?”

"We've had better weeks." He strokes her hair. "Yes, we've had better weeks. So lets make this one better shall we?" "I'm sorry, baby, I really am. Yes, let's make this a better week." Ruby leans down and picks up Jake's paper, handing it back to him. Then she puts her head back down and settles in to Jake's lap. She plays with her hair for a few minutes, but it doesn't take her long to fall fast asleep. Jake soon drops his paper as he dozes off as well.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 102, “Magic Identification“ , Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 2:00 P.M.

Harry replies, "Yep. That Miss West sure is a spitfire." Chester says, "You don't know the half of it, Harry." He goes out to the stables where he brushes down his horse. "Let's call you 'Lookout.' How do you like that?" The horse knickers. "I'll take that for a yes." After Lookout is cared for, Chester goes to Gilson's to have a bath. Those explosions kicked up a lot of dirt.

Kate let herself in Mr. Gonzales' rooms, found a few books and laid out all the items they had gathered from the Cowboys and cast detect magic. She kept up her concentration, waiting for them to reveal their strength and schools of magic. Kate notes that the items that glow as being the most magical are the leather jacket and the metal rod. Six bullets from one revolver appear to be almost as magical. Five bullets from another revolver appear to be less magical. The twelve rifle cartridges appear to have the weakest magic.

She is unable to detect the magic from the cartridges from the other two rifles. Kate set aside the magical rod, since they already knew what that did. She focused her awareness on what type of magic was on each item, making sure the spoon and ring were also in view. With Kate's continued focus the ring glows a medium range of magic while the spoon indicates a lesser degree.

Her further concentration shows that the strongest revolver bullets are pyrotechnic in nature. The spoon is transmutation magic. The jacket indicates abjuration with a focus in defensive magic. The rifle cartridges indicate some type of enchantment. Kate focused for another moment on the ring, hoping to get a little more from it. Afterwards, she packed all the things away in a bag and went back downstairs. She kept her eyes open for Ginnie so she could make sure the girl was alright before she went back over to the Lucky Lady.

Minerva spends a couple of hours with the newly formed "Church Committee" planning the Festival and getting to know her newfound allies. Everyone unanimously agrees that it is a good idea to kick the festivities off with a Parade down the main street on Saturday April 1st and Sunday April 2nd. Steve Lord agrees to seek out Chumbley as soon as he gets to town to work out the advertising.

Al Brower had agreed to donate a weapon to the shooting competition. Hoover agreed to speak to him about it and also speak to Jake about organizing the saloons. Minerva says that she will speak with Ruby and Kate about their part in the festivities and Beatrice enthusiastically volunteer to organize a Blue Ribbon Pie Bake off. When the meeting adjourns, Minerva retires to her room to thank the goddess for her good fortune and make further plans before heading over to the Lucky Lady to share her good fortune.

A couple hours go by and Jake wakes up. He attempts to get up without waking Ruby, but can't manage it. "You can go back to sleep if you are still tired, but you'd be more comfortable in bed. I was thinking of visiting Gifford and Rodriguez." Ruby stretches her arms and legs. "No, I feel better actually. I'll go with you." Ruby gets off Jake's lap, but not before stealing a kiss. She dresses herself again and checks herself out in the mirror at length. Finally she turns to Jake, "Ready!"

Jake and Ruby head down stairs as Katherine arrives. "Do you have something to tell us?" "A few things, let's go back inside your room." Chester walks back to the Lucky Lady to see Kate, Jake, and Ruby talking. "Afternoon, folks. What's going on?"

They tramped back up the stairs and Kate laid out the items. She began pointing things out and explaining. "These bullets have some kind of pyrotechnics, they might explode on contact, or just start you on fire. The rifle bullets have some kind of mind-affecting thing on them, I have no idea what. The jacket is protective, like Jakes. It might be stronger, it might not, I can't tell. The spoon changes things, the ring has a moderate amount of magic, but I can't tell what it does. That's the best I could do."

Ruby says, "Well, the spoon probably gives food or something like that. I don't know about bullets being mind affecting... that seems strange. I wonder about the ring. You should bring it to Mr. Gonzales, he can tell us." Jake says, "So now we need to figure out how to best use all this. I'm best with a pistol, and I wouldn't mind setting Mr. Ringo on fire if he causes any trouble."

He looks at all the others, "Someone was wearing the ring, and so it can't be bad can it? Couldn't someone just put it on and see what happens?" Ruby says, "Sometimes you need to know a word." Jake is looking at Ruby like she is crazy so she grabs the ring and puts it on. "I'm not sure that's the best idea, Ruby...." Kate said even as Ruby slipped it on. "Bullets don't do much good with me, and I don't get shot at much so someone else should use the jacket." Chester says, "I'm with Ruby. Mind-affecting bullets seem really odd.” Jake says, "They probably blow your brains out." All three of them turn and look at Jake .

Chester interrupts this awkward moment by asking “As far as the jacket, could I try it on?" Jake says, "Um, ya, try the jacket on." He says to Jake, "Very funny. Maybe we should just fire one outside of town." Jake says, "No don't waste them, we'll find out when using them. But good idea about trying to remember what happened at the shoot out."

Chester snaps his fingers. "Did anyone notice anything strange during the gunfight? Like being unusually scared?" Kate replies, "Maybe they make you afraid? Of course, bullets make me afraid without any magical help. You can try the jacket as far as I'm concerned, Chester." Nothing happens when Ruby puts the ring on, so she takes it off and inspects it, casting detect magic fully, also looking for inscription. "Maybe I'll keep it on for the heck of it and find out what happens."

Chester slips the jacket on. "So, how's it look? I don't feel any different." Ruby replies, "Chester you are as handsome as always, it looks good on you. And it will probably only make you feel different when you see the bullet going straight for your heart bounce off. Just remember the jacket doesn't cover your head. I think I have to get one of those for me." He blushes. "Thanks, Ruby. Sure you don't want this then? I'm probably more in danger of getting captured than shot."

Ruby laughs. "I'm sure that isn't true, Chester. You've been in plenty of gunfights with us. I just don't know if the jacket will fit me. I mean, I have to admit, the thought of not getting shot again," she reaches up and touches her shoulder, "Does appeal to me. But I have these," Ruby says and runs her hands over her hips, "And I bet this jacket doesn't." He replies, "Yeah. That's true. The cowboy we got this from sure didn't look like you. Maybe that ring can protect you."

Ruby replies, "Of COURSE he didn't look like me, silly, he was a man and he was dead. I'll keep the ring on unless someone wants to take it to find out what it does. Hope it's not something bad!" Ruby fixes the collar on the jacket on Chester. "I told you it looks good on you.

Kate says, "Chester, you'll still want to avoid bullets if you can. I don't think that will stop a well-aimed shot. I'll hold on to the metal rod. We already know what that does, but unless someone heard the word that activates it, it's just a club at the moment. I'll take the spoon as well, we can decide what to do with it once we know it's purpose for certain." Chester gives a comforting smile. "Don't worry, Kate. I'll still remember to duck when I'm under fire." Kate looked at the rifle ammunition. "I don't remember anything odd happening during the shooting, but then the Cowboy's didn't get many shots before they were down."

Ruby comments, “Now, Jake, you wanted to go somewhere?" "Yes, we'd better get going if we are going to get to see Rodriguez and his prisoner." Jake nods to Ruby "Let's do this for now..." Jake grabs the pyrotechnic rounds, one other revolver round and two rifle rounds. "Since Katherine doesn't need the bullets you take the rest of these Chet and share with Nanuet and Minerva if you all want some. I don't think Nanuet often uses a pistol so give him four rifle rounds, you and Minerva take two pistol and two rifle each."

While Jake is talking he empties the five rounds from his long barrel Colt and puts in five pyrotechnic rounds. "Remind them to save them for when they are really needed, like against somebody who is protected somehow from regular rounds and tell them what we know about them. Keep the jacket for now, and talk with the others and see if they agree to how we distributed this. We can always move items around if we need to later." Chester says, "OK. That makes sense. I'll leave the jacket in my room for now. Nanuet's at the grove, right?" "That's where I left him," Ruby replies.

Jake turns back to Katherine, "What were those cloth patches? Should we split those up too?"
She says, "They heal. I don't think they'd be good for a large wound, but one of the Cowboy's put one over his wound and it healed, at least somewhat. We should all have at least one." Katherine gives Jake, Ruby and Chester one each. "I will make sure Minerva and Nanuet each get one."

Jake hands Ruby the remaining rounds from his hand, one pyrotechnic, one other revolver and two rifle rounds. "OK, Katherine you will try and learn about the other items. Depending on how busy everyone is, we may not see you before we leave for Tombstone tomorrow morning. I'm taking Ruby there for a little entertainment. We will also find out first hand what happened to Morgan. We should be back Wednesday night."

Jake reaches for his duster, "Oh, and is anybody short on living expenses? The Cowboy gang donated a small amount of cash." Chester says, "Yeah. I'm a bit strapped for cash. How much did they have? I'll consider it payment for taking me hostage. I can give some to Nanuet, too." Jake reaches into a pocket of his duster and pulls out a pile of bills and coins. He stuffs them into Chester's hands. "Here, look after Nanuet, Katherine and Minerva. I don't know who needs it. I'm set." Chester replies, "Thanks. I'll get it to them."

"I've already learned everything I can about those items. If you want more information you'll either have to wait until I get smarter, or my teacher returns," Kate answered. The finish talking, Chester offers to escort Katherine back to the El Parador, while Jake and Ruby head over to see Rodriguez at the jail.

After Chester dropped Katherine off at the El Parador, she went upstairs to her room and fetched paper and her pen. She stowed the magical items she still had away in Mr. Gonzales' rooms and went downstairs to have lunch and write. Ruby had not believed her, if she hadn't seen Tom herself the night before, Ruby probably wouldn't have even believed Kate had seen him at all.

It would probably be the same with anyone she tried to tell. Poor Katherine, finally gone off her rocker. Mr. Gonzales might believe her, she'd have to feel him out about his feelings about gods first. There were a few questions she needed answered. It would be easier if he understood why she was asking, but that might not be possible.

She ordered a late lunch and sat writing, making sure to carefully date the document and include enough details of the day that it could not be doubted she had written it in March. After the baby came she would let them see it; that she had known impossibly early that she was pregnant, that it would be a boy. It was the best she could think of at the moment to convince them.

Chester walks to the grove, jingling the bullets in his hand. He finds Nanuet meditating. "Hey there. Sorry to bother you." Nanuet says, "No bother, Chester. What brings you to the grove? I don't think you've been here before. Are you here to learn more about meditation?"

Chester laughs. "I wasn't planning on it, but now that you mention it, that's a good idea. But, the original reason I came by was to give you your share of what the cowboys were carrying." He counts out four rifle bullets and $23. "Here it is. Kate said the bullets were magical. Something about enchantments. So about meditating. How do we start?"

Nanuet says, "Well thanks for the items, I am sure they will come in useful eventually. As for the meditating, as you call it, first you must get comfortable, easier for some more than others, but you can't have something like that distract you." Chester and Nanuet settle down and get a comfortable spot. "Now, the next part is the tricky part. You have to basically close yourself down to the outside world, block out the sights, sounds, smells, and touches. You have to be able to focus those things inward. Closing your eyes helps."

Nanuet gets up and stands next to Chester as he clenches his eyes tight and holds his breath. "You have to relax Chet, you are trying to hard. Take a good deep breath and then try not to think about anything for a moment, or maybe picture a blank slate or a cloudless blue sky. Nod to me when you have that image." It takes a few moments and Chester fidgets a bit but then nods his head eventually.

"Good, now what I usually do is re-live the events of the day in my mind. I look for things that I may have missed, details you might say. Work on that for a few minutes, try and recall everything exactly as it happened. Try not to skip over anything as you never know what details may prove important another day."

Nanuet settles back down near Chester and refocuses his reverie also. After a few moments, he gets a startled look on his face. He gets up and nudges Chester, who may or may not have fallen asleep. "Chet, snap out of it! I have to go find Jake and the others, there is something I forgot to tell them. You can stay here if you want, but I am going to try and find them now."

With that Nanuet walks at a brisk pace over to the Lucky Lady. As he enters he scans the room for Jake or Ruby quickly and then the kitchen and stock room. He bounds up the stairs two at a time heading up to their room and knocks. There is no answer but he puts his head to the door and listens carefully. "Dang, not there either he says." after a few silent moments. I guess I'll just wait a few minutes to see if they come back. He then heads downstairs and finds something to keep him busy.

Kate finished her document, absently nibbling at the lunch until it was gone. She had avoided thinking about it so far, but Ruby had brought Conrad up this morning, and Kate's mind was clear enough to begin to think about the difficulties that would be coming. The first being to tell Conrad she wouldn't be going to the Long Branch tonight.

She had expected to see him come in for his late breakfast, but perhaps she'd missed him already. A note seemed such a cold thing, but she wasn't sure what else to do. The Shaws would be by with their horses later and she had no idea where she might end up. She sighed and began writing.

After an while meditating, Chester gets restless. He ducks into the Lucky Lady. "Nanuet, have you seen Miss Florencia? I wanted to know if she'd chaperone Miss Townsend tomorrow night."
He says "Sorry, Chester. She's not here. Have you tried the boarding house?" Chet replies, "Not yet. Thanks."

Chester walks down Allen Street to the Comstock House. He knocks on the door and is answered by Beatrice Lee. She says, "Good afternoon, sir. How may I help you?" "Afternoon, ma'am. I'd like to talk to Miss Florencia, please." "Have a seat in the parlor and I'll fetch her for you."

Minerva is busy assembling her loom when she is interrupted by a soft knock on the door. "Miss Minerva, there is a handsome young gentleman waiting for you in the parlor." Gracias, Senora Russell, I will be but a moment" she replies tightening a bolt. Minerva enters the parlor to see Chester sitting on the edge of his seat, his calloused hands restlessly twirling his hat between his knees.

"Buenas Tardes Senor Chester. This is a pleasant surprise! She smiles brightly as she moves briskly across the room to greet him. " You are looking much refreshed!" To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"
Chester gets up from his chair and waits for Minerva to sit before he does. "Good afternoon, Minerva. I wanted to ask a favor. Um, I'm dating a young woman. Her name is Clarisse Townsend and she sometimes sings at the Lucky Lady. Anyway, I wanted to ask her out tomorrow night. She needs to be chaperoned and I was wondering if you would do that for me."

Ah, and here I thought you had come a courting' " Minerva says with a twinkle in her eye.
"Si, I do recall meeting Senorita Townsend. You were sitting with her at the Lucky Lady. Were you not? You appeared quite smitten with her." She teases. "She strikes me as a lovely young woman. " I have never been a duena before Senor" She laughs "and you being such a gentleman, it hardly seems necessary but if she is agreeable to it I would not be adverse to chaperoning the two of you."

Chester appears relieved. "Thank you so much, Minerva. I guess 'duena' is the Spanish word for chaperone. I haven't asked her yet if she's free tomorrow. I wanted to have someone in place, before I asked. Last time I had to run around looking for a chaperone. Heh. I'll see you later."

Chester strolls, whistling, to the Promise City Hotel. "Good afternoon, Mr. Smith. Can I speak with Miss Townsend, please?" Mr. Smith says, "Sure, Mr. Martin. How are you?" Chet answers, "I can't complain. How's business been?" Smith says, "Not too bad. Let me see if Miss Townsend is in."

Clarisse comes down the stairs with her cousin, Julia Barbeau. "Good afternoon, Mr. Martin. What brings you here today?" Chester replies, "I wanted to know if you would accompany me to the Alhambra tomorrow night. I've asked Miss Florencia, the new Minster, to chaperone. If that's OK." She replies "That would be fine, except I'm scheduled to sing for an hour starting at 9:00 PM over at the Comique. Would we be finished by then?"

Chester says, "Yeah. That'll be fine. I'll come get you here around 6 o'clock. Hopefully nothing happens tomorrow. Not sure if you heard, but we found Miss West safe and sound. She was staying with Mrs. Gilson for the night and didn't tell anyone." Clarisse says, "I'm glad she's well. Everyone was so worried about her. It even made the front page of the papers. Has the Marshall released poor Mr. Eastman?" Chester replies, "Once we figured out what had gone on, he got cut loose. Not sure if he went back East yet or not. Where will you be tonight?" Clarisse is about to answer when a rifle shot rings out.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 103, “Hello Mr. Ringo”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 3:00 P.M.

Jake and Ruby make their way to the Marshall's office before dinnertime and find Rodriguez sharpening a knife and Gifford looking bored. "Hola Eduardo, Cómo es usted?" "Bien, Senor. Y ti?" The deputy replies looking up from his knife "Muy bein, muy bien." Ruby enters right behind Jake and flashes Eduardo Rodriguez a dazzling smile.

Jake and Ruby enter the building. Lane Gifford is locked in the far cell. Eduardo is behind the desk. He gets up and walks towards Ruby and Jake after they enter asking softly "Have you heard anything else about the Cowboys?" Jake nods yes and winks at Rodriguez before he continues, "We would like to have a word with your guest, if you don't mind. You are welcome to listen in."

Eduardo replies, "Go ahead, but don't expect him to tell you anything. His lips are sealed." Jake says, "Ruby, could you check and see if anybody is about outside before we begin so we are not interrupted for a few minutes?" Ruby nods, says, "Why certainly," and steps outside and around the corner.

Ruby carefully glances around to make sure no one is in the area and as quiet as she can she casts her Detect Thoughts spell. She starts concentrating on the thoughts inside the jail building, as usual first having to block out Jake. She turns her concentration on Gifford and returns inside. Jake begins, "Mr. Gifford, I was interested in knowing who gave you the silver back some months ago that you used to purchase all those twenty dollar bills in Tombstone. It seems they were later used to pay some desperados to attack some miners and their friends."

Gifford does not respond. Jake continues, "I was hoping you would be more helpful to me. I don't think I have met a man who needed a friend more than you in many years." Jake pauses only briefly. "You have some folks accusing you of the murder of an old prospector some months ago, the Cowboy gang is sure you gave away the location of their hidden ranch which only yesterday was raided and burnt to the ground, and an important and dangerous man in town which doesn't want to be linked to any of these incidents knows you can link him." Again Jake pauses for emphasis.

"I'm sure that man is wondering just how tight lipped you are staying. I hear he is not the trusting sort. I hear bad things happen to those who cross him. I'm sure the rumor will somehow get to him that you told the Marshall all you know to save your hide. You are probably safer in jail than out don't you think?" Jake turns and looks to Ruby and shrugs. Then to Rodriguez, "How much is his bail? If someone paid it he'd have to leave wouldn't he?" Jake let's the question hangs.

Gifford turns his back. Jake interjects, "I'd say you need some help Mr. Gifford." Gifford finally turns around and says, "Not from the likes of you." Ruby gives a little snort. "That's not very smart Mr. Gifford," and turns her back to him, leaning up against the desk. She nods her head to Jake in a 'watch him' kind of motion.

"To answer your question, Marshall Rodriquez, many, many Cowboys met their very untimely death as of late. As a matter of fact I personally blew the head off of Billy Claibourne, although not before he gave me this." Ruby pulls her dress strap off her shoulder to show him her scar. "Like Jake said, there was an unfortunate accident at their farmhouse and it completely burnt down to the ground. I don't believe anyone made it out, except our friends of course."

Jake seems a little surprised when Ruby says out loud that she killed Claibourne but quickly recovers. "Len won't be visiting you again Gifford, unless you believe in ghosts. Ringo is going to be mad when he finds out you told us the location of the farmhouse and about the Gattling Gun. I think your friend in town will be angry too over implicating him in the miner raid." Jake chuckles to him, "You know that old saying? If I was a gambling man.... Well, I AM a gambling man and I'd say with all the people that want you dead the only really long money is on you surviving the week."

Gifford glares at Jake, saying nothing. Jake takes Rodriguez out on the porch and says quietly, "Ruby wasn't making that up. I don't know what Warren told you but quite a few of the Cowboy gang are gone now. I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days, we are going to Tombstone, but I'll ask a few friends to look in on you it you'd like?"

Jake and Rodriguez notice a man approaching on foot. He is wearing a gray cowboy hat, brown leather vest over a blue and green plaid cotton shirt. He has on leather pants and cowboy boots. He appears to be unarmed. He approaches the door to the Marshall's Office and Rodriguez asks "May I help you?" "Is Marshall Earp in today?" the man asks. Rodriguez replies, "No sir, is there something you wish me to ask him?"

The man replies, "I was going to ask about that Gifford guy. Is he still here?" Rodriguez says, "Yes he is. Are you a friend of his?" The man says, "I wouldn't exactly call myself a friend but I would like to speak to him if you don't mind." Rodriguez comments, "You appear to be unarmed." He replies, "I am". Rodriguez says, "Then you may go see him." Ruby sees the Deputy Sheriff enter the Marshall's Office followed by the unknown man and Jake following.

Ruby takes a good look at the man as he walks in and she flashes him a smile. She continues to lean against the desk, pretending to look at her fingernails, while trying to listen to what they say. The man goes right up to the bars and gets Lane Gifford's attention. Gifford moves over closer and the man says something softly to him that Jake and Rodriguez are unable to hear. They do hear Gifford reply "I didn't, I swear it!" The man turns, having apparently said all that he has to say, and starts to walk back towards the door.

"I don't believe we have had the pleasure, I'm Jake Cook." He says to the man and nods in a friendly manner. "I run a game over at the Lucky Lady." "Cook?" the man says, "I think I've heard of you. Thanks for the invitation. Have a nice day." The man departs. Lane Gifford does not say anything after the man leaves but Ruby and Jake both note that his hands are shaking and he has started to sweat.

Ruby glances over to Gifford. "Well, I guess we were right about someone being mad at you giving away too much info, huh? Giving away valuable information like that, it could really get you in trouble... I think Mr. Cook could be persuaded to offer his help again..." Gifford looks at Ruby and Jake then turns to Eduardo and says "You gotta move me to some place safe. They're coming for me!" Eduardo says, "You're not going anywhere." Gifford says, "Then I want to talk to my lawyer, right now! Go get Fisk!" Eduardo smiles and replies, "I don't believe he has Sunday office hours."

"Ruby, I don't think there is anything else we can do here." Jake shrugs his shoulders. "We ought to get back to the saloon. Senior Rodriguez, I'll speak to my friends, be careful. Mr. Gifford, I... well make your peace with the gods, sir. I wouldn't bet on us meeting again. It's a shame." Jake offers his arm to Ruby.

Ruby and Jake stroll towards the door arm-in-arm. They are five feet from the door when the doorknob turns and the door quickly opens up. Standing immediately before them is Mr. John Peters Ringo. He pushes the door back so that it is completely open. Rather than a suit he is attired in his standard Cowboy clothes including chaps over denim pants, a leather jacket over a yellow cotton shirt, red bandana around his neck and a brown leather cowboy hat. Jake and Ruby both note that he isn't wearing a gun belt and has no visible weapons.

"Leaving so soon? Did I come at a bad time?" he asks. Jake says, “Hello Mr. Ringo. No not a bad time. We were finished speaking with Senor Rodriguez, and didn't wish to keep him from his business any longer." Ringo looks towards Eduardo and says, "Deputy Rodriquez, I just heard about what happened to Morgan Earp and wanted to come by and offer my condolences to Warren. Would he be around?" Eduardo replies, "He is not available at the moment."

"So, Mr. Ringo, you decided to stick around town? I thought you might have left by now," Ruby says, looking directly at him. He replies, "Yes I did leave. I was here on Friday night but yesterday I had business in the town of Dos Cabezas. In fact, you can ask your friend Patrick Seawell about that, I played poker with him and his father last night at the Lobo Grande Saloon in that town. I came here today to attend the worship services but arrived too late. Then I heard about poor Mr. Earp and decided to come by to talk to Warren. I am so sorry that I've missed him."

Ruby says, "Well, that really isn't my business, is it? Too bad you missed the service, the new priestess has some inspiring words for her congregation. And I'm sure Warren will appreciate you dropping by to give your condolences, it's so nice of you." Ringo steps into the room and looking towards Ruby and Jake says, "Well, I won't be keeping the two of you." He then glances towards Eduardo and says, "I do have a few more things to say to Mr. Rodriguez regarding this particular matter."

Ruby catches Ringo's eye, and as she does deftly pulls her hanky out of her pocket using her body to block the move from him. She drops it on the desk then breaks her glance with Ringo. "All right then, have a good night." Ruby walks to the door and waits for Jake to follow. Jake follows Ruby out the door. He tries not to make it obvious but looks around outside the jail for any of Ringo's friends.

"So, should we leave Marshall Rodriquez to his own devices or walk back in there? Ringo is forcing us to choose sides right now," Ruby whispers. "I really like him, I might feel bad if something happened to him." As they walk a few steps Jake continues to surreptitiously look for Cowboy gang members and says, "I don't know if Ringo has the nerve to do anything in broad daylight or not. Rodriguez is alright, let's keep an eye on him. I just wish we could get word to Nanuet or Chester or someone. If this turns ugly it would be nice to have more of our friends around, and NO I'm not leaving you alone to go get them."

Ruby smiles at Jake and runs her fingers over his cheek, "You know me too well baby." She pauses, "But... I can HIDE and they wouldn't even see me..." "Ok, ok... damn Ringo, why did he have to go and get us involved? Good thing I loaded those bullets when you gave them to me, huh?" She rolls her eyes at Jake. "How long do we wait until we go back in? I wouldn't wait too much longer."

Jake replies, "If he was going to do something to Rodriguez, why would he wait unless he is watching us?" They keeping walking slowly. "Turn around now, hide or go around the corner on Main Street load you gun and come back. I don't have a good guess which is right. You did something before you left the office, what was it?"

"I left something for us to go back and get," she says quietly. "My gun is already loaded, let's go back in." Before they turn back Ruby reaches into her pocket and then says loudly, "Of honey, I must have left it in the Marshall's office. I have to go back and get it." Ruby takes Jake's hand and they casually walk back to the Jail, entering without knocking.

Ruby and Jake quietly enter the office. Ringo has his back to the door and Eduardo is looking him square in the eye. Eduardo clearly sees the door open and the two in the doorway but his eyes never waiver from Ringo's gaze. Johnny either doesn't hear the door or just doesn't care, with Ruby and Jake catching the tail end of his conversation with the lawman.

"....feel somewhat responsible for what happened. But I didn't expect her to up and run off to Tombstone and kill him." Eduardo answers, "That's all just speculation. Do you have any evidence that she was responsible?"

Ringo replies, "Well, her landlady and ward both indicated said that she had gone out of town, she wasn't at her job last night nor did anybody see her around town, and her horse was back in the stables this morning. She knows her way around Tombstone and had both motive and opportunity. I think that's more than enough for you to bring her in for questioning. Look, all you really need to do is go check her firearms and see if they've been used recently."

Jake gestures for Ruby to stay quiet and back out of the door. He then knocks on the door and opens it noisily. "Excuse us, Ruby forgot something." Ruby walks in and over to the desk, acting like she doesn't notice what is going on. "There it is!" she says as she reaches for her hanky, laying on the desk on some papers. She picks it up and dusts it off, then looks up at Rodriquez and Ringo. She furrows her brows. "Is everything ok in here? You two look serious." Her back is mostly to Ringo and she gives the slightest glance of acknowledgement to Rodriquez.

Johnny says, "I think I'm just about done here. I guess I'll be going now." He turns to head towards the door. "Well, good bye again, Mr. Ringo." Ruby turns again to Rodriquez. "And I forgot to remind you earlier to stop by the Lucky Lady for dinner again. We do enjoy your company."

Jake steps out of the way and lets Ringo pass out the door. Ringo heads out the door. While exiting a rifle shot rings out. Ruby, Jake and Eduardo see a bullet pass within inches of Johnny's head and flies into the room, striking the front of the wooden desk.

Ringo quickly moves back into the Marshall's Office while diligently looking outside for the shooter. Two more shots are fired. One strikes the floor just inside the doorway where Ringo had been a moment before. The other hits his upper right leg and apparently hits a bone based upon a loud 'crack' sound. Ringo falls to the floor, blood pouring from the wound.

"Damn It!" Ruby yells at Ringo, "I'm not getting shot because of you AGAIN!”

Katherine's head snapped up as she heard shots ring out in the distance. It was obviously in town. She snatched up her letters, hitched up her skirts and ran toward the sound.

Nanuet's head turns at the sound of gunshots. “That must right in town!“, he thinks and runs towards the door. Before he exits the Lucky Lady he casts Sanctuary upon himself and checks that his pair of knives are secure. He then exits the saloon and heads towards the direction of the gunshot in full sprint.

Chester pulls her down onto the floor. He says to Julia, "Get down, ma'am. I don't know where that's coming from. Stay here. I'll find out. The next two shots follow. It's coming from the east. That's the Marshall's office." He reaches for his pistol, only to remember he didn't bring it with him. "Damn. I'd be a lot more useful, if I were heeled. Stay down until you know it's safe. I'll be back." Chester hurries toward the Lucky Lady to grab his rifle from the gun cabinet.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 104, “Shooting on Fremont Street”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 3:15 P.M.

Kate exits from the front door of the El Parador just as the door to the Marshall's Office slams shut. The only movement she sees is people scrambling from the street to safety. She then catches a glimpse of movement above her and to the right She looks up to see two rifle barrels pointing from windows along the west wall of the Great Western Boarding House, both pointing towards the Marshall's Office. One is from the same second floor room that she had seen Morgan Earp staying in two months earlier. The other is from a third floor room directly above it.

Inside the Marshall’s Office, Ruby yells, “Jake, close that door and get out of the way!" Ruby grabs Ringo by the shoulder and roughly pulls him behind the desk. "Did you see who was out there shooting?" As she talks she takes the hanky that is still in her hand, kneels besides Ringo and presses it against his wound. "Hold that on there." She leans in closer to him so only he can hear, "Is this your little distraction to get this idiot," she nods to Gifford, "Out of jail?"

He exclaims "Jupiter and Mars! Woman, are you daft? They're trying to kill me." While he says this to her he reaches inside of his coat to his shirt pocket and takes out a metal flask. Jake dives and rolls to get behind the door to kicks it shut. Two bullets strike him but deflect off of his duster, one lodging itself in the floor the other in the wall. He kicks the door shut. "That's the trouble with these small western towns, it's so hard to be accepted." He then crawls quickly across to a spot under the window. "Senor, some rifles por favor?"

Eduardo heads over to the gun rack on the sidewall and take out a key chain to unlock the lock and chain holding the firearms in place. While he is unlocking it Eduardo says "Those bullets struck from a downward angle from almost directly across. They've probably coming from the Great Western Boarding House, probably from a third floor window."

Ruby narrows her eyes at Ringo and replies, “I wouldn't put it past you. Why shouldn't we throw you out there and let them have you? See what your friends did to me," She pulls her dress quickly off her shoulder, "They tried to kill me. Maybe we should repay your kindness. What do you think Jake? Why should we risk our lives for him?" Jake is listening for sounds outside and waiting for a rifle, "What? Risk our lives for him? We should just worry about ducking right now."

Ringo ignores Ruby and Jake's banter, unscrewing the cap and putting the flask to his lips. He lifts up the flask and continues to hold it up as he is apparently planning to drink the entire contents. Ruby attempts to grab the flask from Ringo. "Are you crazy? You shouldn't be drinking in your condition..." He reaches up with his other arm and grabs her arm to stop her. "Let go of me!" Ruby smacks his arm away.

Ruby exclaims, "Who is out there Ringo?" He turns away from her until he has finished drinking the contents of the flask. He then shoves the empty container back into his pocket and says "How should I know? I didn't see anybody. Why don't you go outside and ask them?" Ruby again narrows her eyes at Ringo. "Well, I wonder why anyone would want to kill you, Mr. Ringo." Ruby stands and heads towards Rodriquez. "You'd better give me a gun too, since we don't know who is out there." Jake looks at Ruby and sees the stormy look brewing in her eyes.

Kate dashed across the street and into the front door of the Great Western Boarding House, looking for anyone who might still be downstairs. The first floor of the Great Western Boarding House is crowded, with the five members of the Vigilance Committee and Mrs. King still inside the Common Room. As Kate enters she sees Bill Watkins is handing rifles to the other men and saying "..heard a rumor that Arcade's Gang was seen back in town. It must be them out there shooting up the place."

Kate took a couple deep breaths and looked around the room. "Mr. Watkins, one is shooting from Morgan Earp's old room on the second floor, the other from the room directly above. I didn't see who was shooting. It seems like only one from each room. You don't know who's up there?"

Great Western Boarding House Owner Bill Watkins has handed rifles to banker Frank Condon, Cook's General Store owner Zebadiah Cook and bank teller Derrick Avery, and keeping one for himself. Rebecca King and Doctor Eaton remain unarmed. In response to Kate's comment Watkins says "Morgan's room? That's Warren's room now. The one above it is Wyatt's. They're both in Tombstone, those rooms should be empty!" He looks towards the men and says "Follow me boys," and heads in the direction of the staircase up. Eaton and King remain in the common room.

Kate fought the urge to pull the pistol out of its hiding place and follow the men. They would just make her stay downstairs anyway, and beside, she couldn't just run into gunfights now. She probably shouldn't even have left the El Parador. She went over to one of the windows facing the Marshall's office and stood to one side peeking out, watching to see if anyone showed themselves. Kate hears the men head up the stairs rather loudly and thinks to herself "Bulls in a china shop".

She hears the men move to the room above. While still looking outside towards the Marshall's Office she hears a "thud" sound right outside of the window she's peering from as the dust on the street right in front of her is disturbed. A small amount of dust settles on the bottom of an invisible shape in front of her so that she can barely make out the outline of a pair boots and the bottom of the legs of the man wearing them.

Jake takes a rifle from Rodriguez, sticks his hat on the end of the rifle barrel and pushes on the curtain on the opposite side of the window. Two shots strike the window, breaking the glass although the reinforced wire mesh in the glass keeps any shards from flying into the room. "Seems like someone picked a spot with a good view." Jake looks around the wall and says, "Senor, are there any hidden spots to shoot from in here?"

Eduardo says, "No, and there's only one way out, the same way you came in. Smart of the Earps to put in the special glass on the windows." Ruby also takes a rifle from Rodriquez but keeps an eye on Ringo. "We don't even know who is out there." She looks over the rifle then glances back at Gifford. "Maybe someone came for him, he did mention it, didn't he?"

Ringo says "The Earps have lots of friends in this town and with the exception of James Earp I've never gotten along too well with them. Could be that someone suspects I had something to do with Morgan's death."

At the Lucky Lady, Chester sees Nanuet running toward the gunfire. He thinks “Good, there'll be people I can trust there. Harry Rote is ducked behind the bar with the shotgun in his hands and calls out, "What's going on out there, Chester?" Chester replies, "There're gunshots coming from around the Marshall's office. Rifle fire from the sounds of it. I'm going out there to check it out. Keep your eyes peeled for any of the Cowboy Gang. They've got to be involved in this."

Harry replies, "Will do. Your Indian friend just left here, not more than a minute ago." Chester says, "Thanks. I saw him outside. Where are Ruby and Jake?" Harry answers, "Not sure. They left a while ago." Chester says, "I hope they're not mixed up in this. Sit tight." Chester checks to make sure his rifle is loaded and rushes from cover to cover across Main Street and down the alleyway between the Town Hall and the Alhambra.

Eduardo head over near the broken window and stands to the side of it while he uses the butt end of his rifle to break out more of the glass and wire. No shots follow. He peers out and comments "The only open windows are in Wyatt and Warren's rooms." Ringo exclaims "The Earps are trying to kill me?" Eduardo replies, "Not hardly, they're both in Tombstone. And they didn't leave their windows open when they left."

Kate threw up the window sash, leaned out and trying to grasp an ankle with both hands and yelled, "Down here!" The man manages to pulls back towards the street before she grabs him. Upstairs, two of the men are busy searching the room while the other two are heading up to Wyatt's room on the third floor. Across the street Deputy Rodriguez comments to Jake "What's your friend Kale doing?" Jake sees Kate leaning out of the first floor window of the Great Western and grabbing at the air.

Shortly after Chester leaves Minerva hears shots ring out. " What was that!" she says to Luna. She grabs her loaded Rifle and Pistols shoves them in her skirt and heads for the sound. As she is running up the street she sees Kate leaning out the window of the Great Western grabbing at something unseen and yelling "Down here!" Minerva pulls into the shadow of the building and focuses her attention on the ground outside the window where Kate is grabbing and says to Luna "Can you tell what she's grabbing at?"

Jake's first thought is Katherine is seeing things again. Jake yells, "Katherine, what in Hades are you doing? Didn't you hear the gunshots?" Ruby turns her back to the front window and looks at Ringo while speaking. "Jake, what is Kate doing out there? Do you see who was taking the shots?" She keeps her eyes trained on Ringo, occasionally glancing at Gifford, her rifle readied.

Nanuet follows Chester around the back of the jail. "What's going on in there Chester? Seems like someone is shooting at the jail! I don't have a weapon on me other than my knives." Chester replies, "I don't know. I was visiting Clarisse when I heard shots coming from near the Marshall's office. I wasn't heeled so I went to get my rifle. I don't know where the others are. Do you? Try to get the attention of whoever's inside. I'll sneak down the alley here to look for where the fire came from." Chester slowly crawls down the alley north of the office. He peeks his head out and sees Kate grabbing at thin air. "What is she doing?"

Kate yells across the street, "Jake? I heard a thud outside the window and dust kicked up! I think the shooter jumped out. We've seen this before, when we were chased back from the mine remember? The invisible rider?" Smoke begins to pour out of the open third floor of the Great Western Boarding house.

Ruby starts to smell smoke, "What the heck..." Ruby moves over to Jake quickly and whispers in his ear, "Keep an eye on Ringo, and don’t let him cast a spell." Jake turns his body and does what Ruby says. "Let's find out if the shooter is still out there. Everyone get back" Once everyone clears the path of the door Ruby turns the door knob, stands to the side and kicks the door back open.

Eduardo says, "The rifles seem to be gone, but now Wyatt's room looks like it's on fire." Ruby, Chester, Nanuet, Jake and Minerva all look up to see the window curtains in the room are burning with black smoke billowing out of the room. "That can't be good," Ruby says flatly. "Maybe whoever it was thought Ringo here was Wyatt or Warren." She sighs, "And we have no fire truck... What will they do about the fire?"

Kate sniffed the air for a moment, looked up, then pulled her head back inside and addressed Dr. Eaton and Mrs. King. "There's smoke coming out of the third floor window; I think Wyatt's room is on fire. They'll need help to get it under control before it spreads. We'll need buckets. Where's the nearest water source?"

Ruby question about what will be done about the fire gets an immediate answer to her question as Bill Watkins and Zeb Cook both reach Wyatt's room. They find Wyatt's clothes had been piled on the bed, coated with kerosene and then lit on fire as well as the window curtains. First the two men grab the corners of the curtain rods and fling the whole flaming thing out the window. This is followed by them doing the same with the yet unburnt corners of the blanket on the bed that haven't caught yet. Pieces of flaming cloth, burning wool and various items of torched clothing rain down upon Fremont Street. Kate heard the something else hit the ground and spun back to the window to see the pile of burning clothes and bedding. She mutters, "Or maybe not."

Ruby immediately turns back to Ringo and walks slowly towards him. "You still trying to say you and your friends had nothing to do with this...?" She continues to walk towards him slowly as she speaks. Ringo yells, "Damn you woman. You're as bad as your friends the Earps, trying to blame me for everything that goes wrong. I come in here to pay my respects and try to uphold the law, get shot for my troubles, and now get falsely accused."

"Damn me?" Ruby continues walking towards him. "As far as I know, the Earps don't like us either...Only a week ago Jake was in jail to further their own plots, so don't be acting like we're best buddies with them. It was YOU that put us in the middle of your..." Ruby's voice trails off but her eyebrows shoot up. "You KNOW what I'm talking about, don't play innocent." She stands right in front of him. "I pulled you in here to be nice, maybe I should have left you outside for whomever it is to finish the job they started. We don't want to be enemies with you, looks like you got enough of those on your own."

Deputy Sheriff Colin Hunter makes his way down the street, gun in hand. He stops at the door of the Marshall's Office and asks "What's going on?" Eduardo says, "Somebody shot Johnny Ringo," gesturing to the man. Hunter asks "Should I get the Doc?"

Ringo replies, "Nah, it's not that bad. Just get somebody to go fetch me my horse from the Papago Cash Store and I'll be on my way." A crowd begins to gather outside by the burning debris. They move back as the men upstairs push the burning mattress out of the window. That appears to be the last of it, as the smoke from the room above dissipates.

Chester sees Hunter walking down the street, gun drawn. He turns his head. "Nanuet, take my rifle and watch for trouble. The deputy thinks it's safe, so I'll going to the boarding house. Maybe Kate knows what happened." Nanuet says, "OK, Chester. Be careful." He replies, "I will. Just watch where you point the rifle. The law's probably nervous." Chester pushes his way through the crowd. "Excuse me. Coming through.” Colin Hunter tells a man he knows to head up the street to the store and get Johnny Ringo's horse. Eduardo asks him "Watch the office please while I find out what happened."

Dr. Eaton and Mrs. King continued staring at her as if she had two heads. They hadn't spoken a word to her, even when she'd told them the building could be on fire. She waited a moment and then walked out the door into the street. As she leaves King says to Eaton "Who does she think she is?" He replies, "Thinks she wants to be a school teacher."

Kate stopped and turned slowly on her heel to face the two still inside the boarding house. Each step was slow and deliberate, she almost seemed to grow taller with each step until she stood only a few steps in front of them. She stood straight and looked them each in the eye. "Who do I think I am? I think I'm the kind of person who gives you nightmares. Maybe even more so than Miss West or Mr. Cook. Them you can put a neat little label on, at least in your mind. 'Bad sort,' and fight a noble crusade against them. But me... My crimes aren't obvious, just insidious. I have friends who aren't human, and worse, some who aren't considered decent. I ride astride and run my ranch with my non-human partners, I play piano in a saloon.

And yet I can be counted on to help my neighbors when I can, for no reason other than it's the right thing to do. I will help this town in every small way I can. And I couldn't care less about your approval or the approval of your Committee. I have a question for you. Who do you think you are, trying to force your version of morality on everyone else? Does people having charge of their own lives make you that afraid?" Kate didn't wait for any kind of answer. She turned away again and walked back out into the street.

Ruby starts walking towards the door when she stops suddenly and turns head, looking back to her shoulder, narrowing her eyes and throwing Ringo a nasty glance. Then she flips her hair and continues out the door. Jake stays in the office and on alert when he sees Rodriquez leave. He brushes his Colt unconsciously while he looks around for trouble.

Chester is alongside the west wall of the Great Western as Kate exit’s the building. He says, “Kate, do you know what happened? I heard gunfire and now someone's room caught fire?" Kate replies, "There were men in Warren and Wyatt Earp's rooms, taking shots at the jail."

Ruby makes her way over to Kate and Chester. "What the heck was that all about? Someone just shot Johnny Ringo and Jake almost got shot. I pulled Ringo in to get the door shut but now that I think about it I should have left him out here." Ruby shudders. "I don't know what I was thinking." Kate says, "I don't know what it was about, I think the shooters got away. It was the right thing to do Ruby, pulling Ringo back. Tempting to leave him though."

"Very tempting indeed," Ruby said without much emotion. The adrenaline was starting to wear off and Ruby was growing weary. Not physically, except for the pain of a bruise her wound seemed better. It was more emotional, and not something Ruby knew how to handle well. "Um, do you have any guesses to who it was Kate?" She replies, "No, I didn't see either of them." She dropped her voice and added, "I think one of them jumped. I heard the sound when he landed, and the dust he kicked up seemed to show a pair of boots. Invisible, using magic."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 105, “Ringo‘s Threats”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 3:30 P.M.

In response to Ruby’s earlier comment Chester tells her "I hate to say it, but Kate's right. You're better than Ringo, and now he knows that." Ruby tells Kate, "I thought I heard you yell that across the street but I wasn't sure. I have no idea what is going on. Did anyone get hurt inside?" Kate answers, "I don't think so. The men haven't come back from upstairs yet, but I think if someone had been hurt they'd be hurrying down for the Doctor.”

Across the street, Ike Sherman, manager of the Papago Cash Store, rides Johnny Ringo's horse up to the Marshall's Office. He ties the horse to the rail out front and heads inside. Kate asks Ruby, “What was going on in the Marshall's office? I'd guess you and Jake were trying to find out what happened last night, but is Johnny Ringo there? Mr. Sherman just brought his horse over."

"Last night?" Ruby says while rubbing her temples slowly, "Um, Jake wanted to try to question Gifford before we leave for Tombstone." Nanuet shows up just as Minerva does. "Huh, everyone is here. Anyway he thinks he's the key to who sold us out on our little excursion to the mine. He wouldn't talk though, then someone came in and," Ruby glances around to make sure no one is close enough to hear her whisper, "I overheard him say 'you shouldn't have told the Earps about the farmhouse' then he left and Gifford freaked out. Guess he's in trouble now..." Ruby shrugs, "Then the shooting started." She starts unconsciously rubbing her wound. "It sure is hot out here," she says tugging on her neckline, glancing around nervously.

"They just started shooting at the building? That seems rather pointless." Kate looked at Ruby, seeing the fatigue on her face. "I think you need some more rest, Ruby dear. After we're finished here you should go back to the Lady and relax. Did you say if Ringo was there? I thought the next time we'd see him it would be at the other end of a gun."

"Yes, yes Ringo was inside. He still is. He got shot but he took a potion to help himself, I'm pretty sure." Suddenly Ruby remembered what she heard him say. "Oh Kate, it's... it's... he was trying to tell..." Ruby rubs her scar again. "It IS hot out here, I think I need some something to drink." Kate replies, "Ruby, just a few hours ago I told you, less whiskey until your blood recovers itself. Do you need to sit down?" Kate stepped next to Ruby and slipped a supporting arm around her waist. "What could Ringo have to say that could possibly upset you this much? He can't hurt us with words." "Water, I just want some water." Ruby is quiet for a moment, Kate can tell she is thinking. "You're wrong Kate, words can hurt us..."

Chester calls over Nanuet saying, "Hey Nanuet, let's see if we can track these guys down. I hope the crowd hasn't messed things up too much." Nanuet replies, "Good idea, let's do that if we can. It's still muddy from the rain yesterday, that might help."

Nanuet and Chester are able to locate the tracks of the man Kate had been grabbing at. Nanuet deduces that he started to walk slowly away and then began to run. "Must have been when the flaming stuff started to rain down," Chester chuckles. They manage to follow the tracks up the street to the Papago Cash Store where they enter the corral. The horses in the corral have disturbed the dirt too much to track further. There are five different fresh horse tracks heading off in three different directions from the corral, so they are unsure exactly which one was his. Nanuet says, "Well there are only two of us and three different directions to go. I think we are out of luck here, let's go back and tell the others what we found out."

At that moment Jake exits the jail and comes over to where Kate, Minerva and Ruby are standing. He notices Ruby rubbing her scar and Kate's arm around her waist but says nothing. She turns to give him a small smile and notices something on his duster. With a furrowed brow she steps towards him and takes a closer look at the two scuffs. “What happened to your jacket?” Ruby asks with a puzzled look on her face.

Jake is hesitant at first but finally says, “It’s from two bullets, when I was closing the door. They deflected off my jacket.” “What?” Ruby’s face drop as she runs her fingers over the scuffs, right over where Jake’s heart would be. “You... you got shot?” Ruby hands start to tremble and she starts getting pale. “Ruby, they deflected off my jacket, I didn't get shot,” Jake answers. “You got shot?” she says again, almost daze like. She looks up at her friends, her eyes starting to well up with tears.

She says nothing, but grabs the bottom of her skirt, pulling it up to her knees, turns on her heel and starts running, running as fast as she can back to the Lucky Lady. Halfway there she finds herself on the ground, having run into a man walking down the street. She could barely see, her tears running down her cheeks. “I’m..I’m..so-soory,” she stutters as the man tries to help her up. “Oh you tore your stockings… Are you ok Miss West?” he asks but Ruby is already running again, all the way back to the Lucky Lady.

She enters and ignoring Harry and Nile’s questions about what happened continues to run up the stairs into her room. Out of breath she stands in front of the closet and pulls out her bag from up high on a shelf. She starts yanking out clothes throwing dresses left and right. She jams a few dresses into the bag, stuffs some shoes in, carelessly throws in jewelry, before her emotions overwhelm her. She grabs the edge of the bed and sinks to the floor, facing the wall as she sobs, gasping for breath.

"Ruby!" Kate looked around the scene and then over at Jake. "What in the world? Listen, ah, the shooters got away, I think at least one was using magic to make himself invisible. Nanuet and Chester are trying to track him. I'll go after Ruby, unless you want to. I don't know what has upset her so, except the idea of you being shot again. She might need you more than me right now."

Nanuet and Chester head back to where they left the others. Nanuet asks, "Where Ruby go?"
"She ran off towards the Lucky Lady" is echoed back and several arms point in that direction.
Nanuet says, "Well we followed the tracks to the stables but there are a few fresh sets of horse tracks leading off, no way to tell which are his." Nanuet pauses then begins again "Ran off you say? Is everything alright?"

"I'll go see what is wrong." Jake tells Katherine, "I don't seem to be much help here." Jake walks back to the Lucky Lady. Kate tells Nanuet, “I'm not sure. I think the last couple days have been hard on her, and she's not resting enough. Hopefully she just needs a good cry, and Jake knows the best way to comfort her.”

Chester says, "Nanuet, I've got to get back to Clarisse. Put my rifle back in the gun cabinet. Thanks." Chester walks back to the Promise City Hotel. Clarisse is sitting with Julia in the parlor. Clarisse asks, "What was the matter, Mr. Martin? Gunfire is becoming more common these days."

"Someone was shooting at the Marshall's office. No one was hurt as far as I can tell. Don't worry. Deputy Sheriff Hunter and Deputy Marshall Rodriguez are looking for the shooter." Clarisse's eyes get big. "He got away? What if he starts shooting again?" "Since you or Miss Barbeau aren't lawmen, you're not a target, I'm sure. Now, I'll see you before six. Try to keep your mind off it. Bye ladies."

Jake quickly tells Harry and Nile that there was shooting at the jail but everyone is fine. They let him know that Ruby ran upstairs a minute before Jake arrived. When he enters there room he sees some of Ruby's dresses strewn about the floor and a travel bag covered with some of her possessions. He hears someone sobbing and finds Ruby on the floor facing away. Jake deposits his hat on the bed and lowers himself on the floor next to her head. "We have this big beautiful room full of comfortable places to rest and you choose the hard wood floor." He reaches out and strokes her hair.

Ruby jumps when she hears Jake speak. She hadn't heard him come in or even sit next to her. She quickly wipes her eyes but doesn't turn to face him. "I-I-w-we have to leave," she continues to sob, although more quietly than before, "We have to leave Promise City. We have to go far away where no one knows who we are. I don't want to stay here anymore." "Ah, I see. Had enough then." Jake replies in a neutral tone.

"Yes." Ruby wipes her eyes again. "Have-haven't you?" Her chest rises and falls with each sob, but her hair still hides her face. "Hmmmm. That is a good question. I am tired of being shot at, and having to be nice to folks that I don't like." Jake scratches his chin, "Hanging around to fight IS something I am not accustomed to. I suppose we could sell off everything at a loss....." He leans back against the bed. "I'm sure Chester, Nanuet and Katherine would write. Well at least Chester and Katherine would, I'm not sure Nanuet knows how to write."

"I'm tired of being shot at too. I almost DIED yesterday. If you didn't have that jacket on, you might have died tonight. Last week you were in jail to further the stupid Earps cause. We're in the middle of everything and we didn't ask for any of it." Ruby finally turns to look up at Jake, tears steaming down her face. "They'll understand," she says, "They have to. If they were smart they would leave too."

Jake replies to Ruby, "Smart, now there is something I've not been accused of many times. So are you really willing to leave the others to whatever the Cowboy gang is going to do to them?" She replies, "No, let's stay and get murdered instead because they don't want to leave." Ruby stands up off the floor and starts stuffing more random things in her bag. She gulps, "Maybe you should leave me alone right now and go find out what everyone else is up to. I'm sure Ringo has something up his sleeve and the Cowboys are around." She continues to stiffly put things in her bag, avoiding catching Jake's glance. He says, "Maybe. Is that what you really want? To be alone?"

She exclaims, "I think you should be concerned about our friends, they need you." She eyes her bag, stuffed full. "I told you what I wanted. I don't want to die here in this crappy town. The rest is up to you." "Is it?" Jake replies. .

Chester makes his way to the Morand Cartage office to see if everything is OK with security of the ore trips. Zach Morand tells Chester, "Everything is running smoothly. Haven't even heard much from the Cowboy Gang." "That's good. Hopefully they'll stay quiet." Chester walks back to the Lucky Lady to fetch his gunbelt and the magic bullets.

Back at the Marshall's Office, Ike Sherman helps Johnny Ringo out of the building and up onto his horse. Johnny glares over in at where Minerva and Kate are standing near the boarding house. Kate met Johnny Ringo's eyes and unflinchingly stared back. She patted Minerva's arm and moved until the crowd was behind her, leaving only the street between Kate and Ringo. Ringo rides across the street towards Kate, never breaking eye contact with her. He stops his horse right beside her.

Kate lifted her hand and laid it on the horse’s muzzle. It nickered softly, familiar with Kate. "This is a good animal," she said quietly. "I didn't expect to see you here again." He replies, "I believe that you still have something of mine. We need to discuss my getting it back." She answers, "I think you already got the most important piece. It's a shame we can't be on the same side, we might have been friends under different circumstances."

He answers, "Circumstances change. It would be to your advantage to return my property to me. Surely a pile of books is not more important to you than...say....your place of employment." She looks him square in the eye and replies, "I've been thinking of leaving my employment, actually. Life is so busy you know, and waitressing isn't what I was made for. Seems to me you place a great deal of value on that pile of books. A man going into war can't even know if he'll be around to read them tomorrow."

Ringo says, "I've always found that it is important to make the time to read a good book. Expanding one's knowledge should never be underestimated with. And it's probably a good thing that you're not set on being at the Lucky Lady forever, since it won't exist for very much longer."

She asks, "Why would you trust me again? Not that I didn't intend to keep my end of the bargain, but it did become moot. You didn't have anything to offer me anymore." He replies, "Oh? I don't? Have you seen that little girl of your lately? Ginnie I believe her name is."

Kate took a deep breath and tried to keep her voice steady. "This morning. She's a smart girl, she knows to watch out for you." He replies, "Very confident of you. I'll make you a deal. Go back to your room at the El Parador and find me eight of the books that I asked about. That's about all that will fit in my saddlebag for now. Then I will tell you where you can find Ginnie. Don't worry, she's still alive, and if I get what I want no harm will come to her."

Out in the street in front of the jail, the priestess Minerva listens to the conversation between Johnny Ringo and Katherine with growing alarm. She shifts uneasily where she is standing and continues to listen. Kate's eyes went flat. "Where do I bring them?" He replies, "Get them now. I'll wait."

Kate turned her back to Ringo and walked calmly back to the El Parador. She made no fast moves until she was inside the Cantina, then she made a beeline for Dorita. "Have you seen Ginnie in the last few minutes, Dorita?" Dorita says, "Last few minutes? No, she go to Kelly Dry Goods to make lace two hours ago. Why you ask?"

"Damn it! I'm sorry Dorita, I can't explain now. I...." She ran out of the kitchen and upstairs. First into her room, where she made a mess throwing her clothes around, making sure there was no one invisible inside. Then she went across the hall and into Mr. Gonzales outside room. She repeated the procedure there with a blanket, waving it into every part of the room, making sure it didn't hit anything it shouldn't. Once she was sure she was alone she went into the secret rooms and tried to pick out the most harmless of the books he wanted.

Minerva watches Ringo for a few minutes before heading over to the El Parador to locate Katherine. Kate cannot read Greek or Latin but does recognize Atlanetean text so ignores the volumes written in those languages. She selects eight of the thinnest volumes and fans the pages to ensure that Atlantean writing is not intermixed as it had been in his spell book.

Chester is at the Lucky Lady and thinks “I bet Pierre can tell me what these do.” Chester cinches up his belt and makes sure his new Colt is snug in its holster. He enters the Gun Shop two doors down. "Afternoon, Pierre. I was wondering if you could help me figure out what this ammo does. You know, like that hand cannon a couple months ago." Chester lays out his magic bullets. Pierre examines them. "Oui, these are special. If you leave me one of each I will be able to figure them out for you by tomorrow."

Back at the Lucky Lady, Jake stands and looks at Ruby, "We can't get a stage tonight, I don't know if I want to ride out of here on horse just now." He walks to the door, "I have some work to do to sell some assets." He waits a moment and then turns to leave

Ruby looks down at her bag. "It's Sunday. You can't get anything done today. Why don't you just take me to Tombstone then you can come back and do your business and I'll wait there for you."
She plops down on the bed and puts her head in her hands. The tears are still streaming down her face. "I just can't do it anymore, Jake, I can't," she says quietly. "It's not fair, nothing is ever fair for me."

Jake says, "No, I believe it has not been. Ruby, I don't think it is safe to ride to Tombstone tonight. Tombstone might not be safe either. But you are wrong about one thing, I can give Berg power of attorney to make transactions for me and talk to Hoover about buying our shares of the saloon. I'll be back in a little while."

"I didn't mean tonight, I meant tomorrow, for Tombstone," she says softly. "And from there..." her voice trails off. "I know you don't want to leave here, why would you? You're happy here, aren't you? But aren't you tired of all this? We never get to just play cards and sing and get drunk. It's so serious all the time."

Over at the El Parador, Kate took the slim volumes in her shaking hands, took a deep breath, and left the rooms. As she came down the stairs and saw Minerva just starting up. "Miss Florencia? I'm sorry, I have to go, and whatever it is will have to wait." She replies, "Senora, getting your young friend back should not wait, no?" Minerva looks sharply at Katherine, "Let me help you make sure we get the chica back safely."

Kate replies, "It seems pretty simple to me. I give Ringo these, he tells me where she is, and I go get her. I'm not even sure he does have her. I almost expect him to tell me she off making lace at Kelley's and laugh while he rides away. I've already taken longer than I should have. If you have a suggestion make it quickly." Minerva replies, "Then let me run to Senora Kelley's and check for you?" Kate replies, "If you can manage it without being seen.” Minerva goes to the back door and looks about carefully to be sure that no one is watching.

Outside, Nanuet who had been standing idly by, not sure what he should be doing, his head swiveling back and forth watching the action decided that now was the time to act. He lifted the rifle and pointed it towards Johnny Ringo, specifically his head. "Mr. Ringo, I want you to get off that horse right now and then keep your hands up. I want you to march right over to the Marshall's office and tell them just exactly what you told Miss Kate about Ginnie. I don't think we allow kidnapping around these parts."

Ringo calmly says to Nanuet "Don't be stupid Indian. Lower that gun right now and the girl will live." Nanuet states, "I was kind enough to use your name Mr. Ringo, you can use mine. Get off the horse and you will live. You think that bullet in your leg hurt? How do you think one in your head will feel? I don't take kindly to your threats towards my friends."

Ringo answers, "And do you think that your friend Katherine will appreciate you getting her girl Ginnie killed through an act of foolish bravado? Go ahead and shoot. I can guarantee that you'll die before I do."

Nanuet answers, “Like I told your lackeys Mr. Ringo, I am not afraid of dying, I have a better place to go to when I die. You however will lie in eternal torment in Hades for the poor choices you have made in life. This is the last time I will tell you to get off that horse. You will mention to the Marshall what you said about destroying the Lucky Lady as well."

Nanuets voice does not waver as he speaks and he takes two steps forward as he talks louder exclaiming, “Marshall, I need your assistance out here please. Mr. Ringo has a few confessions he would like to make." Ringo kicks his horse and starts to gallop off across South Street towards the south end of Fremont Street.

Nanuet raises the rifle takes as many shots as he can once he sees Ringo spur the horse, deciding to save the last shot for the horse. Even as Minerva was leaving Kate heard more shots ring out in the street. She ran back outside and saw Ringo riding away with Nanuet firing after. "No! Nanuet stop! Please!" Nanuet hears the cries from Kate but she is too late. He continues firing.

Kate sees Nanuet's first shot miss. The second hits Johnny's back but deflects harmlessly off of his leather coat. The third shot also misses. The fourth shot is perfectly aimed, striking the back of Johnny's head just above the jacket collar but it also bounces off with no effect.

Another shot then rings out. Nanuet feels bullet hit him in the center of the back. Kate sees the bullet exit out of the front of the chest as her friend as Nanuet collapses into the street.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 106, “Another Miracle”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 4:00 P.M.

Jake replies to Ruby, "Too damn serious. So let's go to Tombstone and take in a show, and have some fun. They we come back to Promise City or we don't. Oh, forgot my hat..." Jake strides to the bed as he hears more gunshots. "Mierda, not again." Jake runs out of the room and heads towards the stairs. Ruby wipes off her face, and assuming it again has something to do with the Cowboys grabs a shotgun and rifle. She sniffles and goes down the stairs a minute after Jake.

At the gun shop, Chester says, "That's great. Here you go. I'll be back tomorrow then." Rifle shots echo down the street. Pierre says, "Most unusual to hear that twice in one day."

"What the..." Chester's face goes pale. "Damn. That sounded like a Spencer. I gotta go, Pierre." Chester runs towards the noise, reaching the intersection of Main and Fremont to see Nanuet firing at the fleeing Ringo. He yells to the Indian, "What in Hades are you doing? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Another shot rings out and Nanuet collapses into the street.

Kate sees the shooter, a man dressed in cowboy garb, sixty feet up the street in front of the Town Hall building. He is holding a rifle and shifts his aim towards Kate. "Get down!" Kate screamed into the Cantina, then dove inside, hoping the door would block any shots.

"Nanuet! He's hit." Chester sees the shooter appear out of thin air. "There you are. I should have known." Chester ducks around the corner of the town hall and cross-draws his two revolvers.
Jake arrives at the front door of the Lucky Lady. He sees Chester move behind the corner of the building 75 feet away and prepare his weapons. Jake draws his Colt. Ruby follows behind Jake, although she is a bit behind him. She sees Jake pull his gun, so she starts running and as she does double checks the rifle is ready to go.

No sooner had Minerva left the El Parador when gunshots split the air. “Mierda" she says and doubles back around the corner. when she sees that Nanuet has been hit she rushes into the street Shouting his name. "Nanuet!" Chester cocks the hammers and reaches around the building to fire at the man. He yells to the Priestess, "Minerva. Get out of the street. The Cowboy's not that far from you." She moves herself to block the cowboy from Nanuet's body. and casts a Sanctuary spell on herself.

Chester fires both his pistols at the Cowboy. "You're not getting away this time." The left-handed shot is not well aimed and the shot goes wild. The pistol in his right hand however is perfectly aimed and fired as the bullet hits the back of the man's head and the shooter falls to the ground.

Jake runs up to the corner with Chester, "What in Hades is going on?" Chester replies,
“Nanuet was shooting at somebody. Then an invisible guy shot him in the back. I think I got him. He's probably alone, as no one else has started shooting." With these words Ruby runs faster than before, past Jake.

Minerva bends down and cradles his head in her lap. "Johnny.... Ringo... he's…….getting away. He has Ginnie and is going to... to do something terrible at the Lucky Lady." he says in a weak voice, blood trickling from his mouth as he speaks. Minerva sits in the street, holding Nanuet and praying to the goddess "Please don't let him die!" she begs He softly mutters, “Miss Minerva, it is okay if I die. My ancestors call to me, this is my time.”

She states, “No Senor it is NOT your time! I am not done with you yet!!!” She rips the necklace from Nanuet's Neck and begins to pray. "The necklace will not work for you, you must be of Elvan blood, Nanuet says. She says, “No Senor, I will not believe that, lie still and pray with me!” A long stone on the necklace, the second largest one, begins to glow. His eyes widen a bit in disbelief as the stone starts to glow. Nanuet says, " Am not sure I have the strength left to pray Miss Minerva... and Ringo, he is getting away... and Ginnie and the Lucky Lady... Ruby went back there..."his voice trails off. Nanuet looses consciousness as the entire necklace now begins to glow.

Kate stayed crouched down for a moment, then realized the shot she thought was coming at her never materialized. She cracked open the door to see the shooter falling from to the Street. Eduardo Rodriguez exits the Marshall's Office holding a rifle. Some of the others had already reached Nanuet, she dashed out into the street to join them. Chester calls out to Deputy Rodriguez. "Some guy just shot our friend. He's over here."

Miss Florencia was praying over him, the stone from the necklace was glowing, trying to do its work, but Minerva didn't quite know how. Kate says, "Put the stone in his hand, Senorita, and close his fist around it." Minerva, helplessly crying and stroking Nanuet’s hair looks up when she hears Kate yell. She places the stone in Nanuet’s hand and prays with all she has. "Please, Please don't let him die. She bends down and kisses his fore head "The necklace too, Senorita," Kate said, gently putting one end in Nanuet's hand while leaving the other in Minerva's. She spared a quick glance to see if Ringo was still in sight.

Not slowing at the intersection Ruby continues to run to Nanuet, throwing herself on the ground next to him. "Nanuet, hold on," Ruby says trying not to look at his blood soaked shirt, "Look your necklace is working," Ruby sobs as she takes his hand. Nanuet starts to smile, then coughs weakly. "Miss Ruby is that you?" His free hand reaches out in the direction of her voice.
"Miss Ruby, can you sing for me? Sing me a pretty song, just one last time... "

Ruby's face scrunches in pain as she hears Nanuet's words. She shakes her head as she cries, "No... you're going to be ok..." But the color has drained out of Nanuet and he is grower paler by the second. She gulps and fights back her tears, and tries to sing Nanuet's favorite song, an old Elvan tune. Her voice cracks as she sings and her tears fall onto him as Minerva continues her fervent prayers.

Jake peaks around the corner and sees a man lying in the street, the same one that threatened Gifford in the jail not long before. Then he notices Minerva, Ruby and Katherine bending over what he assumes is Nanuet. Jake runs over to make sure the man down is dead and scans the area for any other danger. Chester runs to Nanuet. He asks to nobody in particular, "How is he doing? Can you heal him? He's got this necklace."

Minerva feels a flow of energy around her as her hands begin to glow a bright white/yellow color similar to what you see when looking directly into the sun. Simultaneous to this Nanuet's hand begins to glow green. The glow from all three hands then move out over his body and towards his chest. The gold light then begins to spiral clockwise and wind into smaller circles as the green light spirals counterclockwise, also winding into smaller circles. As the two paths of light intersect the colors merge until a swirl of gold/green light then covers over the wound.

The blood covering his chest then begins to recede back into his chest and the wound begins to heal. The healing then stops and begins to reverse itself, the blood starting to flow outward again. Minerva hears a feminine voice inside her head telling her to cast her remaining healing spell. She does so and a new wave of golden light flows out from Minerva hands and onto the wound. The blood then changes color from red to a reddish gold color as it flows back into his body.

The wound seals up as the skin folds back over itself, leaving an X shaped scar where the bullet had exited. The glowing color then begins to fade. The green fades completely. Nanuet's hand falls open, revealing a combination of green and gold dust. The necklace then stops glowing. The six stones remaining in the necklace are no longer pure turquoise in color as they now all have specks of gold as well. Minerva is physically and emotionally drained and can barely remain conscious. Minerva gently kisses the x-shapped scar and lays her head down on Nanuet’s chest. "Thank you goddess" she whispers and closes her eyes.

Kate let out a long explosive breath. "Good job, Senorita. Thank you." Two miracles in one day.” She laid one hand on Nanuet's for a moment before she stood next to the pile of books she had dropped when she arrived. She began to scan the streets, looking for Ringo. He is nowhere to be seen.

Now that the second round of shooting in less than a half-hour has ended people begin to come out of hiding to find out what is going on. Kate sees an oddly dressed man wearing standing in the doorway of the El Parador wearing only red long underwear, a cowboy hand and a gun belt. Bill Watkins gives him a dirty look and the man heads back inside.

Chester looks on in awe. "Miss Florencia, you are truly blessed by the gods. Thank you." Minerva starts to slump over. Chester catches her. "Easy there. That must have taken a lot out of you. Let me get you into the boarding house to sit. Can he be moved?" Minerva replies in a barely audible whisper. ""Si, It is best to get Senor Nanuet out of the road." Her voice trembles "Please, Senor... I am unable to stand." If you could carry me..."

"Actually, the Lucky Lady's not too far. I can take you there." Chester reaches for his rifle and slings it onto his back. Then he lifts Minerva and cradles her. "Jake, Ruby, she says that we can move him. Can you do it?"

Ruby stops singing and pulls some hair off Nanuet's face. "We need to get him back to the Lucky Lady to rest. And it looks like Minerva needs to rest too." Ruby kisses Nanuet's cheek and makes her way over to the man she recognizes from earlier. She starts searching him over, especially looking for any kind of identifying information, keeping his weapon close to her.

Finding the man dead, and not seeing any danger he holsters his weapon. "Ruby he's the same one that visited Gifford." Jake turns and sees Katherine running, "Now what?" "Katherine, what is wrong now?" "Oh no, no, no." Kate scrabbled in the dirt for the books, then ran with her arms full toward Mary Kelly's shop. She yells "Ringo said he has Ginnie! She's supposed to be at Mary Kelly's, I have to look! If she's not there..." Kate kept running.

Jake says, "Ruby, I'll follow Katherine. I'll meet you at the Lady, get everyone there." Jake runs after Katherine. Minerva immediately falls asleep in Chester's arms. Ruby says, "Chester, bring her to the Lucky Lady please. We'll put her in a spare room."

Everyone is gone, leaving Ruby with Nanuet. "Hey you," Ruby calls out to some guy on the street. "Can you help me move my injured friend please?" They each take a side and carry Nanuet back to the Lucky Lady, Ruby with some difficulty. As soon as she gets in the Lucky Lady Harry and Niles run over and take Nanuet carrying him up the stairs. Ruby sighs, takes a bottle of bourbon and heads up to Nanuet's room, puppies in tow.

Kate covers the four blocks to the corner of Front and Sierra in record time. Jake has a longer running stride and manages to reach the front door of Kelly's Dry Goods and Tailor right behind her. Kate barges in without knocking to see Mary Kelly and Ginnie sitting in a pair of chairs working on lace. Ginnie looks up and says, "Ma'am Kate, is something wrong?" Mary asks "Was that shooting we heard?"

"Ginnie!" Kate dropped the books with a clatter and rushed over, taking the girl in her arms without regard for the lace in her hands. "Oh thank goodness," she said softly as she began to cry and rock back and forth.

Jake is right behind her and says, "Katherine talk later, let's get you two either back to the Lucky Lady or the El Parador right now." Jake is looking out the front door up and down the street. "Now, gather up your stuff Ginnie. Right now." "I'm sorry, Jake. Of course, we should go," Kate said, letting go of Ginnie. "Yes, that was shooting. You'll be fine here, Mrs. Kelley. Some members of the Cowboy Gang with a personal grudge. We have to go. Hurry now Ginnie."

At the Lucky Lady, Ruby fetches some water and clean cloth. She sends Harry to get some of Jake's fresh clothes. She pulls off Nanuet's shirt and begins to clean him off, a task she is growing weary of. She gently washes him and changes his clothes. In between she takes long gulps of bourbon. Once he is clean she gets him settled, and sings to him as she strokes his hair.

Chester brings the sleeping priestess into the Lucky Lady and puts her in the nearest spare room. "Rest easy, Minerva." He leaves the door ajar and knocks on Nanuet's door. "Ruby? It's Chester. Can I come in? Minerva's sleeping in one of the spare rooms." Ruby says in a weary voice, "Come on in, Chet."

"Now that is the song I wanted to hear." says Nanuet weakly as he stirs. He reaches for Ruby's hand as it strokes his hair and holds it. "Now, were even." he says managing a smile and light laugh. "

Ruby breathes a huge sigh of relief. "Oh Nanuet," as she starts to cry again. "Damn It! Why am I always crying around you!" She takes a swing of the bourbon. "You want some?" She holds out the bottle to Nanuet. "Or Chet, you want some?" He says, "Yeah. Give me the bottle." He takes a drink. "This has not been a good week."

She turns back to Nanuet. "What do you mean we're even?" He says, “We're even because you saved me now. Not quite sure, but I think I was pretty bad shape for a moment there." "How did I save you?" Ruby asks while taking another drink. "I'm really going to need this tonight. It's just getting too dangerous around here."

He replies, "I held on to the sound of your voice, that is the thread that kept me in the weave of the living world. I think I would be gone without it. Thank you." Nanuet says, before getting choked up too much to speak. Tears fall from his eyes and run down his face. "Oh, that is so very sweet. I.. I can't believe I did that for you." Ruby reaches over and wipes the tears off Nanuet's face. The puppies run into the room but Chester keeps them from jumping on the bed. They both give small barks in protest.

He asks, is everyone else OK?" She pauses, "Yes everyone else is alright, except the guy who shot you. Chet here blew his brains out." She gestures for Chester to sit on the bed next to her. He replies, "It was nothing. I just happened to get there first. Ruby, did you find out who he was?" He sits on the bed and grins. "Jake won't be jealous, will he?" He says to Nanuet. "What happened? I thought once the invisible guy left and that was it. Did he have help?"

"He had come in earlier to the jail and threatened Gifford. He said 'You shouldn't have told the Earps where the farmhouse was.' Gifford was really scared after that and said they were coming for him." Ruby takes the bottle back and drinks. "Why would Jake be jealous?" Chester gives Ruby an innocent look, "Jake might be jealous that you're alone with two men with him not being one of them." Ruby starts to give a sly smile and smart aleck answer but the smile drops off her face before she does.

Ruby continues with Nanuet, "Minerva did something, I don't even know, like a miracle or something. She used your necklace. She's exhausted so we put her in the other room to rest." Nanuet answers, "I'll pass on the bourbon for now, thanks. he says with a wink. "Nice shot Chet, thanks for protecting the ladies. Sounds like I owe my biggest thanks to Minerva though."

Nanuet then says, "I think I really might have screwed up though, he got away and he has Ginnie, he said he did. Oh my, and he said, he said that he would do something to the Lucky Lady too!" Chester exclaims, "What? Kate's little girl? We got to look for her. Do we know where the cowboys have another hideout? I got to get that jacket."

Nanuet says, "What invisible guy? I was going to kill that Johnny Ringo guy. I couldn't listen to him threaten Miss Kate about the books and Ginnie and then say that he was going to destroy the Lucky Lady too. I lost my cool and started shooting at him when he wouldn't get off his horse. Then I think I got shot in the back."

Chester says, "The guy who shot at Jake and Ruby from the boarding house. The one we tracked to the livery. He must have doubled back. When you shot Ringo, he shot you. Did you hit him?" Nanuet replies, "I did hit him, I mean I should have hit him, one of my shots was a good one for sure, but it just bounced away from his head, even without the jacket for protection." Chester whistles. "So, Ringo is a wizard like you and Mr. Gonzalez, Kate? That sounds like that protection spell you use. We can't let him get those books. Who knows what's inside."

Ruby takes a big breath in. "I don't know about Ginnie. I guess Kate ran off to see where she was. I wouldn't put it past Ringo to lie about having her, but I also wouldn't put it past him to take her either. Try not to worry about that now, you need to rest." She squeezes his hand. "And he's threatened to do something to the Lucky Lady before also, but we're still here. Try to rest, that's an order." Ruby finally gives him a smile, while fixing his hair again. "You're so brave." Nanuet answers, "Brave or stupid? I will try and rest, but I need to know where the others are before I will get any peace."

Jake escorts them to where ever Katherine feels safest. He nervously scans the streets and buildings as they make their way, all the while urging them to move quickly. Jake, Kate and Ginnie travel the two blocks back to the Lucky Lady without incident.

Kate let Jake take them back to the Lady for now. Since Ginnie was with her, she wanted to check on Nanuet and Minerva. "We'll need to go back to the El Parador in a while. I can keep Ginnie safer there." Kate shuffled the stack of books and realized she still had her note for Conrad crumpled up in her hand. She would just have to explain later, there was no time for that now.

Kate put her arm around the confused Ginnie's shoulders and said, "Let's go up and see Nanuet. He'll be worried about you. Mr. Ringo was just here, he told me he'd taken you. I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not, but I wasn't taking any chances. I don't know how the shooting started, but Nanuet was hurt. Not to worry, he'll be fine."

Kate knocked lightly on the door to Nanuet's room then came quietly in. "As you can see, the reports of Ginnie's kidnapping were greatly exaggerated. The only thing Ringo could have told me was that she was at Mary Kelly's, exactly where she was supposed to be." Chester says, "Glad to see you safe and sound, Ginnie. We'll all have to be extra watchful for the Cowboys from now on."

Nanuet lets out an audible sigh. "I am so glad you are safe, both of you. Is Mr. Jake with you? I am so sorry Miss Kate, I shouldn't have put that little girl in danger." Nanuet becomes choked up again and puts his hands to his face. Ruby breathes another sigh of relief. "Thank goodness she's ok. She's too smart to get caught by someone like Ringo, right Ginnie?" Ruby doesn't sound very convinced.

She walked over and gently took his hands away from his face. "Enough of that, now. We've all had a few hard days. If I'd spent the last day held captive, I don't think I'd have much patience either. Don't punish yourself anymore.” Nanuet takes his hands from his face at Kate's urging.

Nanuet says, "Thank you Miss Kate, I am just glad that everyone is OK."

Kate continues, “I can tell you, Ringo really wants those books. I wish I could read them; at least get an idea why." Ruby says, "Can't we ask Mr. Gonzales? He has probably read them, at least looked them over.. or can." "Where is Jake?" Ruby asks concerned. Kate answers, "Jake is back, he should be up in a minute. Mr. Gonzales is gone again, no note this time. He was so exhausted last night we didn't get a chance to talk. I think Ringo might have spells hidden in some of the books."

"Where did he go now?" Ruby says exasperated. "Running off again. Ringo can NOT get those books back. And they are safe enough he can never find them. The problem is, he knows where we all stay and can find us."

"Yes, Ringo is a wizard. He has the ability to protect himself with spells that can stop bullets. Since he got shot earlier, he must have protected himself with a potion. I tried to stop him from drinking it but he grabbed me. I think the whole him getting shot thing might have been a ruse, to distract us from Gifford. Why would one of the Cowboys shoot him? Unless that guy wasn't a Cowboy... but he was a Cowboy he is the one who threatened Gifford. Unless Ringo isn't a Cowboy, but he is... Oh!"

Ruby sits back on the bed. "I'm confused. Jake is the smart one, he should figure this out. And someone should check on Minerva. I'll be back in a few minutes." Chester says, "I can do it." He creeps down the hall, so as to not wake Minerva. Bottle in hand, Ruby heads downstairs and finds Harry and Niles, and Jake. She explains the situation and the fact that they need to find Jeff. "We desperately need to keep a vigil on this place, Ringo has threatened to blow up the Lucky Lady."

Chester pushes open the door and peeks his head into the room. "He whispers, "Minerva, are you awake?" He only hears her measured breathing. Chester walks back to Nanuet's room. "She's still asleep. Nanuet, does that happen to you when you've healed people?" Kate replies, "She did more than that Chester. The necklace was made for an Elf, the power of the Apache is in it. Minerva's power comes from other gods. I don't know what was involved in making it work, but I think she might have been a sort of bridge." Kate reached out and lifted one of the stones, looking at the gold flecks winking back at her. “More than that, another god or goddess left their imprint as well."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 107, “The New Deputy”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 4:45 P.M.

Chester says, "That was quite a miracle then. Hey, Nanuet. The gods must have more for you to do here. By the way Kate, That group of cowboys was carrying some money. Here's your share for all the trouble they've caused us." Chester hands her $23. Kate says, "I really don't need.... Well, I do have a school to furnish. Plus my house at the ranch and the upstairs of the schoolhouse. Alright," she finished and took the folded bills and tucked them into her pocket.

Downstairs, Burton Lumbley, owner of the Gay Lady and current Chairman of the Promise City Merchant's Association drops by the Lucky Lady to tell Association Members Niles Hoover and Jake Cook that he's called for an emergency meeting at 5:00 PM over at the Town Hall. Niles asks "Should we bring chairs?" Burton replies, "No, it won't be a long meeting."

"Mr. Lumbley," Ruby approaches him, hand outstretched, "In all this time I have lived in Promise City you and I have never been properly introduced. Ruby West, I'm a friend of Ms. Duprey's." "Pleasure to meet you Miss West," he replies taking her hand, but looking distracted.

She smiles at him, "I know you have business to attend to, so I won't keep you. Could you please tell Madge I need to speak with her and will come by later today? I would so appreciate it." He nods and Ruby excuses herself. She goes over to the bar and makes herself a drink of whiskey. She looks at it before taking a sip. "You know," she says out loud to no one, "Kate was probably right, I shouldn't be drinking this. Oh well." She drinks it down and places the glass on the bar. "THAT was the last one for now, Ruby West."

After the men are speaking Ruby heads to Jake. "I'm going to take a little walk while you have your meeting, but first I'm going to check on Nanuet and Minerva. Will you come right back and let me know what happened?" He replies, "Yes, of course." Jake goes upstairs with Ruby to see Nanuet and the others. He makes light chat seeing how tired and drawn everyone is but asks them to stay here until he gets back from the Merchant's meeting. After making certain everyone is well, he takes Ruby aside and has her relate everything the others have learned and shared.

"Nanuet's bullets bounced off Ringo?" Jake has a strange look on his face and scratches his beard. "So how did he get wounded earlier? Hmmm. Damn that Ringo." Jake puts his arms around Ruby, "I know you won't stay in any more than I will. Just be careful wandering around town. All this does is make a body wonder if we did the right thing buying the saloon from Maggie that day." He suddenly snaps his fingers, "Speaking of Maggie I clear forgot I got a letter from her. She says to say hello to Katherine."

Jake loosens his belt and reaches in to retrieve his small secret wallet, removes a letter and then hides the wallet again. "Here, read it if you like, or let Katherine read it out loud. She might be interested and school teachers need to be good at that sort of thing." Jake laughs and there is a twinkle in his eye. "I need to make a quick stop to see Rodriguez before the meeting, so I have to run.

“I was just going to head over there, I have some business too." Ruby says with a hard look in her eye. "OK, I don't have much time. I'll just tell you what I was thinking and your can handle it with your business. Check to see if there are real blood stains on the floor where Ringo got shot. That and make sure Rodriguez knows that Ringo is probably one of the leaders of the Cowboy gang and not to trust Colin Hunter." He puts his arms back around her and nearly pushes her over backwards with a kiss. "Let's not forget how to live, see you in a little while."

Jake then heads over to the Merchant's meeting. Ruby smiles at Jake as he runs off down the steps. Why would Maggie send Jake a letter? She looks at the letter in her hand and reads it, her eyes growing wide and a half smile forming. "Jake..." she calls out but he is already gone. Ruby sighs. This letter will take a bit of explanation, she thinks, better to save it for later, after the business. She sticks it down her bodice and smoothes her dress flat. She sticks her head inside Nanuet's room.

"Nanuet, you must get some rest! Kate why don't you take Ginnie downstairs and feed her. If you'd like to nap use our room. Or maybe Ginnie would like to play with the puppies? And I wonder what happened to Tricia Shaw? She must have run off with that boyfriend of hers." Ruby doesn't wait for any answers as she looks distracted and she starts heading out.

The Promise City Merchants Association was founded in 1881 after the prior Promise City Civic Association broke into two factions. In the year since its founding the group has managed to get the exterior of a town hall built, purchased land for a school, built a municipal storage shed and hired a Town Marshall and Deputies to keep the peace.

The membership currently consists of 55 town merchants. All merchant businesses in town are required to join although mines, ranches, farms and businesses without permanent structures are exempt from membership. All members contribute monthly dues. Each business is allowed only one voting member. Members of the public are allowed to attend and the press is usually in attendance. Meetings are usually held twice a month, from 7:00 to 8:00 AM on a weekday.

Jake Cook arrives at 4:50 PM at the emergency session. Jake had replaced Tom Whipple as a member in January. Niles Hoover arrives soon thereafter. Although Niles is co-owner of the Lucky Lady he has his own vote as he maintains his liquor distribution as a separate business.

Burton Lumley begins the meeting promptly at 5:00 PM. He thanks everybody for coming on such short notice and notes that 42 members are present. Jake notes that two of the four female members are present, namely Kate Higgins of the Long Branch Saloon and Laurie Gilson of Gilson's baths. Absent are Kay Kaufman of the Promise City Cooper Shop and Helen Barker of Barker's Photography Studio. Both non-human members are present, half-orc Harry Wong of Wong's Laundry and wood elf Pedro Figures of the El Parador. Also present is Angelica Young of the Promise City Herald taking notes.

Burton states "The reason for this meeting should be obvious to everyone. We have a lack of lawmen at the moment and the Cowboy Gang is taking advantage of that fact. There were two shootouts here just a little over an hour ago." Michael George of Peacock's Saloon states "The Earps have a right to attend their brother's funeral." Bill Watkins interjects "I told you it was a mistake hiring Earp." The room erupts in multiple simultaneous conversations.

Burton calls the meeting back to order. "I'm not saying they didn't have a legitimate reason to leave but the truth is that we need Wyatt and Warren back here to do the job we hired them for. I propose that we send a sub-committee comprised of three members to Tombstone to recall them. We need them back here now!"

Kris Wagner says that he cannot go but does offer to provide the subcommittee free passage on the stagecoach the next morning. He adds "But unless you can convince him to get packed and come back in the hour before the stage leaves for the return trip you'll have to spend a night there." Lumley replies, "Getting Wyatt to do something he's not inclined to won't be easy. I doubt we'll be back until Tuesday."

Roger Fly of Fly's Boarding House and Photo studio says, "Then I'll go. My brother owns a Boarding House in Tombstone and currently has some vacant rooms. The subcommittee can stay there, but I doubt he'd pay for our meals. Neil Cassidy of Cassidy Lumber says, "You can count me in then. I have partial ownership of a saloon in Tombstone. We can eat there."

Evan Adair of the Palace Saloon says, "We also need to address the more immediate problem. We need somebody in this town to uphold the law other than a wood elf who won't carry a gun and is glued to his prisoner in the jail." Sam Slade of Slade's Hardware says, "Why is that prisoner even here?" "Murder charge," Lumley interjects.

Lawyer Hamilton Fisk says, "That murder took place at a ranch a mile away. Outside of the town's jurisdiction. This should be a County matter instead." Attorney Mitchell Berg says, "Well, this town has never incorporated itself with the Arizona Territory so technically there is no town jurisdiction and it can all fall under County Law. We've just never wanted the Sheriff’s department involved in town matters." "More a case of them not wanting our problems" Laurie Gilson interjects. Fisk says, "I say we turn this prisoner over to Deputy Sheriff Hunter."

Adair says, "We still have a problem of needing a lawman to maintain order until the Earps return. I propose that we fire that wood elf and hire somebody competent." Berg says, "Adair, we all know your opinion of non-humans. Let's not fire the only lawman we currently have. But I do think hiring another deputy might be in order."

Cole Rixton of Rixton's Furniture says, "Why not pin a badge on the man who stopped the most recent shootout, Chester Martin. He's a former soldier and stood up to Deadeye Douglas when Condon's Bank was robbed last January." Frank Condon looks like he is about to say something but then opts not to. "Who was that guy Martin shot?" lawyer Elihu Upton asks. Peter Lovelace of the Rio Grande Hotel and Cafe says "Pony Deal. He's been to my restaurant before. Rumor has it that he was one of the top lieutenants of the Cowboy Gang."

Jake listens quietly for a while and tries to read expressions to see who is aligned with whom. Then he hears Chester’s name come up and steps forward. "That Martin is a brave lad, good to his word too. I'll second that nomination. I don't know if he wants the job or not. Maybe you could talk him into it at least for a short time. I agree that it would be foolish to lose another lawman at this time but we do need to get Rodriguez out of that jail and on to the street. Why don't we hire some men to be sort of junior deputies to guard the prisoner only. They won't be law on the street, it gets Rodriguez out doing his job, and the Earps won't be mad that we transferred their prisoner. It could be hard enough getting them back right away without giving him more reason to be angry. Why, they may even want to come back sooner to find out what Gifford knows about the gang and Morgan's murder. If Martin wants the job, let him hire a few men for guard duty until the Earps come back."

Jake starts to step back then says, "Oh, and I'm headed to Tombstone anyway on business if you want me on the subcommittee."

In response to Jake's comments Sam Slade says, "If the Earps want to question this Gifford then why don't we ship him off to Tombstone tomorrow too. As for hiring more deputies, you may be made of money Mr. Cook but the rest of us aren't." Mitchell Berg says, "I'm not suggesting that we hire a group, only one more, at least until the Earps return." Niles Hoover says, "Excuse me for a minute and I'll go see if I can find Mr. Martin to see if he is even interested."

Doctor Eaton interjects "Just bring him here, don't say why yet. I'm not convinced we're interested in him specifically." Evan Adair says, "Yeah I'm not sure about him either. He's friend with that Indian who has been loitering around town the last month or so." Travis Calhoun of the Gunsight Brickyard interjects "That Indian is named Nanuet and he's done some work for me. He's a good man." Zack Morand says, "I've worked with him too, keep your racist comments to yourself Adair."

Jake says, "Mr. Slade, I appreciate your concern about the costs, but Bill Watkins could have lost his business today in a fire caused by these outlaws. That could have been any of our establishments. I shudder to think of the costs to rebuild. I'm just tossing out ideas. We might have to spend a little more in the short term to resolve this problem. Your point is well made."

Burton Lumley yells out, "Gentlemen, no reason to fight among ourselves. Before we decide who to hire shouldn't we first vote if we even want a third Deputy Marshall? We can decide who afterwards" A short discussion follows, with most opposed not in favor of the cost of an extra $ 50 a month to the Association. A vote is taken with thirty-four in favor six opposed, and two abstentions.

Al Brower says, "On the subject of the prisoner Gifford. I've heard a rumor that the reason that Pony Deal and Johnny Ringo were in town today was because of him. Does anyone know if that is true?" Jake interjects, "Seems like the Cowboy gang is afraid Gifford will talk to the law. If that's true he could be the key to breaking that gang's hold on the county. Sure would help business if that were to happen."

Doctor Eaton says, "All the more reason to get him out of town. His presence here is a danger to our families. Put him on the stage in the morning if you think that Cassidy, Cook and Fly can handle him." Kris Wagner says, "I'll add a second man on shotgun for the ride just in case."

"Will that really keep the Cowboys away?" Laurie Gilson asks. Rufus Davis of the Arizona Billiard Hall says, "It should. I overheard a conversation in my billiard hall on Saturday night between some guys from Galeyville. They talked about the Cowboy Gang so at least one of them must have been a member. Said that Deadeye Douglas left the Territory after that jailbreak and since then four heavy hitters in the Gang have been in a power struggle for leadership. Two of 'em were Deal and Ringo. The other two they mentioned are Billy Claibourne and Frank Stilwell, both Tombstone folks, so there's no reason for them to come back here once Gifford is gone." "Unless they want to play pool" somebody mutters from the back of the room.

Niles Hoover had been asked to get Chester from the Lucky Lady. Hoover finds him sitting in the common room. "Hey, Chester. Could you come with me? The Merchants Association would like to see you." Chester replies, "Why me? I'm not a shopkeeper." Niles says, "I can't tell you. Trust me, you'll want to hear this. Just hear us out." Chet says, "OK. I wasn't doing much anyway. Lead on. Say, aren't the Condons members?" Hover answers, "They are, but they only have one vote, like the rest of the members."

Hoover enters the room with Chester in tow. "Here he is." Chester removes his hat and looks over the crowd, staring an extra second at Frank Condon. He nods to Jake. "Afternoon folks. What's this about? Mr. Hoover wouldn't tell me." Mr. Lumbley speaks, "Ah, Mr. Martin. Welcome to this meeting of the Merchant's Association. Fine bit of marksmanship getting Pony Deal today. With him gone, the Cowboy Gang has lost another leader." Chester clears his throat.

Lumbley continues, "Right, the reason we've asked you here is to offer you a position as Deputy Marshall for Promise City. We're a growing town and we need more lawmen. Are you interested?" Chester says, "I might be. What are the duties and how much is the pay?"

Lumley replies, "It pays $ 50 a month. You have to pay for most of your own expenses. You could use either the town-own weapons or your own. We'll pay for all of your ammunition. You basically work for the Town Marshall and enforce the law here in Promise City. Generally the land outside of town falls out of your jurisdiction, although you are allowed to go further out to investigate crimes and hunt down criminals wanted for crimes committed here in town. For now we'd just want you to keep an eye on things here in town until Marshall Earp returns."

Adair protests "You can't offer him the job, we haven't voted on that yet." Lumley tells him "Evan, I was just answering his question. I know we have to put that to a vote." He turns back to Chester and says, "As my fellow Association member has pointed out, we just voted to hire another Deputy Marshall but a second vote is needed to appoint somebody specific. Could you please tell the group why you think you are qualified for the job?"

Chester straightens and says, "Well, sir. The way I see it, the biggest threat to the town comes from the Cowboy Gang. I'm no friend to them, since they tried to kill me a few times already. We need to show them that murder won't be allowed, if this town is going to be the place most of us want it to be. Since I've been here in Promise City, I've been a bouncer, a bank guard..." Chester looks at Condon, almost daring him to say something. "and, I run security for one of the local mines. As some of you may know, I was a cavalry scout with the United States Army. So, I am no stranger to keeping the peace."

Evan Adair says, "Under what circumstances did you leave the Army, Mr. Martin?" Chester looks down for a second. He looks up and replies, "I was dishonorably discharged a couple years ago for striking a superior officer. We had a... disagreement."

Pedro stands and says "Mr. Martin has been staying at my hotel. He's a good man. His disagreement was that he punched his commanding officer in the face for treating people unfairly. In the time that he has been in town he has been a good friend to all honest men." Condon again looks like he wants to stay something but keeps quiet.

Mitchell Berg says, "He sounds willing. Are there any others of you who wish to volunteer instead?" Sam Slade says "How about that Newton Gilly who rides shotgun for Wells Fargo." Kris Wagner replies, "You're not stealing my best shooter. The stagecoach needs him as much as anyone." There don't appear to be any other suggestions.

It is put to a vote and Chester is elected Deputy Marshall by a vote of 31 to 11. A badge is pinned on him. Lumley says, "We have a meeting scheduled for Tuesday morning at 7:00. If we get Wyatt back tomorrow night we'll hold it then. Otherwise we'll postpone it until the morning after the Marshall returns. I call this meeting adjourned." Lumley tells Chester "Let's head over to the Marshall's Office to get you a badge and tell your fellow Deputy that he now has a partner." Chester replies, Thank you, Mr. Lumley. I can't wait to get started. By the way, who do I report to? The Earps?"

Lumley replies, "Yes, Wyatt Earp is your new boss. Until he's back in town take direction from Deputy Rodriguez. He may have less than a week's seniority on you but Wyatt trained him in the duties and responsibilities of the job. If you have any problems with him come see me privately at the Gay Lady, don't express them in public. Is that clear?" Chester answers, "Crystal. I shouldn't have a problem with him, though."

Chester sees Jake waving him over. "Excuse me. I won't be long." Jake intercepts Chester outside the meeting, "Congratulations soldier! You have a new career. I bet Miss Townsend will be impressed." Jake gives him a nudge of his elbow. "After you finish checking in at your new office, come on back to the Lady for dinner. Folks will want to congratulate you, and we should all talk before Ruby and I head over to Tombstone."

Chester replies, "Thanks Jake. I guess she will. This is a big thing. And you bet I'll be at the Lucky Lady. If the cowboys want a fight, then they've got one coming to them. See you later." Chester rejoins Lumley. "Lead the way. I'm sure Deputy Rodriguez needs a break." Jake leaves Deputy Marshall Martin with a hearty pat on the back. Jake calls out to Fly and Cassidy, "I'll see you gentlemen in the morning."

Lumley and Martin enters the Marshall's office. Lumbley says, "Deputy? This is Chester Martin. He's the new deputy Marshall. Until Marshall Earp returns from his family business, teach Martin how things run around here." "I've met Mr. Martin a couple times before. No hard feelings from that business with the Condons?" Eduardo reaches out his hand. Chester shakes it. "Nope. You were just doing your duty. Jake and I are out of jail and Jones is out of town. I'm here to help you out, Deputy." Lumbley says, "I've got to get back to the Gay Lady. I'll leave you two to get acquainted."

Rodriquez gives Chester the tour of the jail, showing him what each key is for and explaining all of the weapons. He asks Chet about the meeting and laughs when Chester explains the vote was 3 to 1 in favor. "Better than me, my vote was twenty-six in favor and twenty-four opposed. And I wouldn't have gotten that if Wyatt hadn't been planning to leave town the next morning and stated as much."

They chat for a while longer and then Eduardo says, "Look, this came as a surprise to you. Why don't you go get some supper and relax a bit. I have this guy for now, although if you're willing to take the overnight shift here I'd be very appreciative." "Thanks. I can watch him tonight. You want anything from the Lucky Lady? You know how dinner is." "That would be great. See you later." Chester walks out the door of the office and brushes his sleeve on the badge. He shakes his head and says softly, "Who would have thought? An honest-to-goodness lawman.”

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 108, “A Letter from California”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 5:00 P.M.

Kate made sure Nanuet was comfortable, then took Ginnie downstairs. They raided the pantry a bit and sat together downstairs at the Lucky Lady. Kate swallowed and looked at the girl. "Ginnie, I'm sorry. I've neglected you lately. I know you don't want a mother, you had your own. You're an independent girl and I know you are capable of taking care of yourself, so I've tried to let you do that as much as I can. Maybe a little too much. I don't want to restrict you, but for the next few weeks at least we must keep very close track of each other."

Ginnie replies, “Ma'am Kate I need to take a looks at those books that Johnny Ringo wanted and I need to see if I can read them. The only way I'm going to be safe is to learn the magic that seems to scare you so much even though you use it yourself. I learned that you can only fight and stay safe when you understand and can use your enemies strengths against them, and where the cowboy gang and Johnny Ringo is concerned that means I need an edge that they won't expect and that is magic. Right now he thinks of me as a slightly flighty 8-year-old empty-headed little girl because I didn't trust him and that is what he expects from me because that is what I wanted him to see but I need more than that. I'll stay where you know where I am and not get into a place where there can be any danger that I can't handle but I need to learn the magic too.

Kate replies, "It's not that I'm afraid of the magic Ginnie, I'm afraid of what can happen if you get caught using it. And I'm not a competent teacher for you yet; I barely know what I'm doing myself. My teacher has been away lately, so I haven't been able to discuss your education with him. Perhaps we can start with some small things, hopefully they will be enough. I hope you'll never have to deal with any of the Cowboys, a foolish hope I suppose. I have a few of the books here, why don't we take a look at them?"

As Ruby gets closer to the jail, her eyes grow stormy and she starts to clench her jaw, thinking about what she has to do. She enters the porch of the jail, she reaches down and grabs her gun off her leg. She stomps into the jail and thrusts her gun at Rodriquez, who has a shocked look on his face, and leaves it his hands.

She continues on her path and before he knows it Ruby reaches through the bars of the cell and grabs Gifford by the collar, pulling him roughly up against the cold metal. "Now Mr. Gifford you and I are going to have a little chat," she spits out, "And this time you are going to cooperate, you understand? You want to know why? Right now my friends and me are the only reason you are still alive. The man who came in here and threatened you is dead, for shooting someone I care about very much, so I'm not in the mood to be nice." She lets him loose slightly before banging him up against the bars again. "Oh, I'm sure they'll send someone else here to finish the job, you know I'm right. You and I now have a common enemy. The way I see it, we're your only hope of getting out of here alive you little weasel, so start spilling."

He glares at her and says "Go to Hades! Only a few of those guys want me gone and you just said you killed one of those. I've got lots of friends who will take care of me." "Oh sure, this coming from the guy who was just crying to get you out of here." Ruby lets go of his collar with a push.

"Marshall, how much is Mr. Gifford's bail?" she asks without turning her gaze away from him. "There's a few other friends waiting out there for him," Ruby laughs viciously. "It IS too bad you gave away the location of the farmhouse. All your friends who were there are DEAD and now certain other friends of yours are a bit ticked about it."

Rodriguez replies, "The Judge left town before he was captured and only he can set bail. This guy is here for several weeks until the Judge comes back." Ruby replies, "Oh yes, I remember. The judge is my friend, he told me he was leaving at dinner the other night. Too bad Mr. Gifford, you won't be alive when he returns."

Ruby turns her back to him and glances at the floor when Ringo had been. Jake had asked her to check out the bloodstain on the floor. After she looks it over for a few moments, she looks back to Rodriquez. "I suppose the war has begun Mr. Rodriquez." She leans in closer to the Marshal. "Jake wanted me to warn you about Hunter. We have reason to suspect he has links to the Cowboy Gang. Don't trust him." She stands up straight again and continues loudly, "And if Mr. Gifford decides he likes his life and wants to talk to me, you know where to find me."

Ruby leaves the jail and casually walks over to the Gay Lady. She orders a drink at the bar then asks to speak with Madge. Miss Duprey joins her and they have a conversation about what has been going on with the Cowboy Gang. Afterwards Madge shows Ruby around the Gay Lady, showing her the many improvements she has made to the place. She concludes by saying "While to doesn't compare to where I worked in New Orleans, I have come to love it here."

"Oh! I forgot to tell you... I took a trip to New Orleans with Mr. Gonzales. What a wonderful city! We went to the place you used to work and met your old boss. Kate had to translate for me though, I don't speak French, yet anyway. We danced most of the night away. But Madge, you HAVE done a wonderful job here, this is just the kind of place I would like to have one day. And I'm glad you are here or we might not have met."

"On another topic... I told the new priestess that I would help her with her festival. I'm hoping you and your girls could help out. We can sing and or dance, family style, of course," Ruby laughs, "Or Minerva mentioned a Greek play of some sort? I'm up for anything. Would you be interested in helping out? The festival will be two weeks from today, I believe."

"Of course, ma petite soeur aux cheveux rouge, anything you need or want that I can do for you. Please let me know." Ruby smiles and gives Madge a hug and kiss on each cheek. "Thank you so much. I really needed your advice." With that she heads out the door and back to the Lucky Lady.

Her two fur balls greet her on the porch and she takes a moment to pet them both. Once she enters she asks Harry if anyone is around and he tells her Kate and Ginnie are in the kitchen. Ruby heads there and finds the two picking at some food. She hops up on the counter and helps herself to some cheese off Kate's plate. "So, are you two alright from earlier? How about Nanuet and Minerva, have you checked on them lately?"

"You've not even been gone a half-hour Ruby. I haven't wanted to disturb them. I'm sure they're fine but we can go up and check if you like. I'm alright, and more importantly Ginnie is safe," Kate said with a fond smile. "I wasn't hurt at all, though I had a very unpleasant conversation with Johnny Ringo. I came out of the El Parador just in time to see Nanuet shot, then the shooter took aim at me. I ducked back inside, I don't know why he didn't shoot, I didn't think I was that fast. I didn't have my pistol so I couldn't shoot back." Kate shook her head. "But it's all over, for now at least."

"Johnny Ringo, right. Ginnie, why don't you go play with the puppies?" Ruby says in a tone that is more telling than asking. Ginnie rolls her eyes but moves off to the side a bit to pet them. Ruby continues quietly. "Don't get too upset, Kate, I don't think anything will come of it, but Ringo was in the jail trying to blame Morgan Earp's death on you. Something about Ringo looking for you, you and your horse being gone during the same period of time, how you were then back in the morning, that you had the motive and to check your gun for signs of being fired. I don't think Marshal Rodriquez believed him so I wouldn't be too worried but I wanted to let you know. Even before that Jake had told Warren where we went, although I'm not sure if he specifically mentioned who was there or not." She picks again off Kate's plate and starts swinging her legs. "Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Let's see what Jake has to say when he gets back."

Kate closed her eyes for a moment. "And to think, just a day or two ago he was offering me Morgan Earp's head. It's easily disproved even if Marshall Rodriguez does look into the accusation. They all saw me come into the El Parador last night after seven, I saw Ginnie upstairs in our room and then went to bed. Morgan was shot around ten o'clock I think, and Ginnie would have come back up to go to sleep by midnight or one. There is no way I could have made the trip.
I haven't really had the chance to think about the fact that he's dead, Ruby. It's so mixed up with other things I don't know what to feel."

Ruby replies, "I'm sure you are. But once you narrow it down to the fact he killed your husband... well, there isn't much sympathy there. Unfortunately, Ringo is forcing us to work with his brothers now," Ruby rolls her eyes. "Maybe they aren't as bad as we think?" Ruby says almost questioningly before shaking her head. "I know what you mean about feeling mixed up. I'm not having a good couple of days myself," she sighs.

"I know," Kate said, hugging Ruby. "And I don't see it getting any easier any time soon. But I'm tired of being pushed and blackmailed, and I'll be damned if I'll let them defeat me. I've come too far and worked too hard to give up, as terrified as I am." She pushed a lock of hair away from Ruby's face. "And I know you don't like being defeated any more than I do. Do you want to talk about what's mixing you up?" Kate asked, glancing over at Ginnie, whose ears she was sure were perked up and taking in everything.

"There's nothing to talk about really. I'm just tired of getting shot at and having my friends and people I love shot at and almost dying, them and especially me." Ruby shrugs. "Oh but hey, Jake wanted me to give this to you," she says reaching down her bodice. "A letter. He wants you to read it out loud to everyone, says you need to practice for your teaching days," Ruby laughs. She holds the letter out to Kate.

Kate took the letter from Ruby and glanced at the envelope. "Oh, from Maggie! I've been wondering how she's getting along. I've been terrible about writing, I keep intending to and then something distracts me. I hope Jake won't mind if I read it to myself first," she laughed. "Reading it out loud goes better if you've already read it once or twice, you know," she finished and eagerly pulled out the folded pages to read. Her eyes moved quickly down the page, and although she knew it wasn't the point she was pleased to see how excited Maggie might have been to see Kate there. "My twin has been busy, but happy from the sound of it. Jake doesn't mind this being read aloud? Some of it is rather personal."

Ruby laughs again. "He won't mind believe me." Ruby's thoughts drift to the day she stole his letters and read them and she pulls on her hair. "It takes a lot more than that to bother Jake." Ruby smiles as Kate reads the letter. "Jake gave it to me and said to give it to you to read out loud. And I guess he doesn't mind any longer talking about his sister. Did he ever tell you about her?"

Kate replies, "Only a little bit. He showed me her picture, and explained who she was. She and I are very alike, it seems, in more than appearance. He seemed uncomfortable talking about her; I think he loves her very much. He didn't say much about her, just let me see her picture."

"He does love her very much." Ruby sits quietly for a for moments. "I don't know what he would want you to know but I guess since he's passing out the letter he might not mind talking about her anymore..." Ruby's voice trails off as she considers what to say next. "Well, he left his family and home because he was protecting her." Ruby smiles. "As much as Jake wants us to think he's a scoundrel he's a good man. I wish I had someone like that to take care of and love me."

"You do, Ruby," Kate said in a mild voice. "You have that very same man loving and caring for you. Not to mention me," she teased. "I've been saying Jake is a good man for months, but we'll keep playing along with his scoundrel game."

Ruby answers, "Oh, he cares for me, for sure. And we're working on the love part, I hope I can get him to realize it. I don't ever want to lose him." Ruby continues to swing her legs and play with her hair. "I don't know what Jake would do if he actually realized he wasn't as much a scoundrel as he thinks he is. We'd better let him keep his illusions," Ruby laughs.

"He'll grow out of them someday," Kate laughed. "Now, if you're not going to rest yourself, lets go back out in the front room. Ginnie and I were looking at those books Ringo wanted, she can actually read them, thank goodness. And I can start you on a little French. Ginnie, let's get back to our studying while we wait for Jake and Chester to get back."

Ruby says, "He'll grow out of them someday," Kate laughed. "Now, if you're not going to rest yourself, lets go back out in the front room. Ginnie and I were looking at those books Ringo wanted, she can actually read them, thank goodness. And I can start you on a little French.

Ginnie, let's get back to our studying while we wait for Jake and Chester to get back." Kate was hesitant to agree. Miss Duprey was a stranger to her and as much as her nature resisted it, she had begun to accept that people could not always be taken at face value and trusted. Still, Ruby was persistent, and reminded her that Mr. Gonzales had recommended the woman as a teacher. Finally Kate agreed and the three took the books and left the Lucky Lady.

Ruby led the way and soon Kate was being introduced to Miss Duprey. "Miss West said you were interested in these volumes. We have a bit of time if you'd like to take a look." Madge looks over the books "Oh, these are in Latin. I'm afraid I cannot read it. Many French words are Latin in origin, but not enough for me to make sense of." "Yes, I also read French, and I can't get much out of them myself. Ginnie can read them," Kate said smiling fondly at the girl, "But Ruby seemed to think you might have something else to offer. I apologize if we've disturbed you."

She says, "It is quite all right. Come by the Gay Lady sometime, we put on quite the show." Kate replies, "Yes, I've heard so from more than one person. The trouble with working at a saloon is you rarely get to stop by another, but perhaps I will find time soon. Thank you, we should be getting back. Have a good night, Miss Duprey."

Kate led Ruby and Ginnie back to the Lucky Lady, feeling rather foolish. Ruby must not have told her the books were in Latin, or she had some other reason for wanting Kate to go there. Once they returned to the Lady they settled into a corner table. Ginnie plunged into the Latin texts, and Kate began to patiently school Ruby in the very basics of the French language.

After a while Ruby loses interest in her French lessons. "I wonder when Jake is getting back," Ruby says while looking at the door. She continues to glance at the door every so often and barely notices when Kate has stopped the lesson and is staring at Ruby. "I was never good at lessons," Ruby says sheepishly, "Sorry. I do still feel a bit tired, maybe I should rest for a little while. You will stay, right?"

"I'll stay," she said gently. "I think you might need the immersion method of learning a language. I just speak it around you until you start to understand," she teased. "Go get some rest, Ginnie and I will work on these books. Oh, ah, I might need to send a note, is there someone who could take it for me, do you think?"

Ruby giggles, "Well, I know a few french words and phrases I learned that way, but we don't repeat them in polite society." She giggles again. "Yes, I will go and rest. I don't think I fully caught up after yesterday and I'm tired." As she speaks she rubs her shoulder but she catches herself and stops. "Yes, you can ask Harry to deliver your letter, or Jeff if he shows up. I'm sure either of them would be glad to do it," Ruby says with a yawn. "Make yourself at home, use a room or whatever you need." She gives Kate and Ginnie a small smile. "I'll see you soon."

Ruby heads upstairs and this time changes out of her dress and clothes and into the closest of Jake's shirts on the floor. She climbs onto to the bed, not bothering to get under the covers. She stretches her long legs out, rolls onto her belly and is asleep before her head hits the pillow.
Kate scratched out a new note for Conrad Booth, giving up on the one that she had crushed in her hand when she ran out of the El Parador earlier. She said only that she was needed by her friends tonight and could not go to the Long Branch. After a bit of thought she penned another for Dorita. She had probably frightened her earlier, then had not come back to explain. She gave both to Harry Rote and asked him to take them to the El Parador.

Once she was finished she turned to Ginnie and asked, "Well, what's the verdict on the books?" After Ruby walks upstairs and Ginnie is sure she is out of earshot she looks at Kate and sighs.

"Ma'am Kate I told both you and Ruby I could read those books but it seems you were the only one who actually heard me say it. And the next time Ruby tells me to "go play with the puppies" I'm going to let her know that I don't like dogs, I like them even less than horses and I don't like horses either. I've heard every one of the conversations and there is a good chance that my life may depend on the things she thinks aren't important enough for me to know or I'm not old enough for.

I'm glad she trusts the woman she brought us to because she thought she could read the books but I'm really glad that she couldn't read these. There is a lot of things in a couple of them that could be very useful and very dangerous if Johnny Ringo had gotten his hands on them or for that matter anyone who had a thirst for power and the ability to use magic.

One book talks all about spell components in this area and is definitely something I need to study more as I want to make sure I fully understand what I'm reading. It also is something I think we're going to need if we're going to keep the magic use quiet. Being a young girl is great cover for going to pick pretty flowers and interesting things and I think that we're going to need a source of components that is more reliable than trying to buy them from people hiding the fact that they understand how magic works.

The other books talks something about a hidden wood elven village where the people were wiped out by small pox. The man who wrote it talked about how they used magic he wasn't used to but he really didn't seem to understand what that actually meant. I need to work on that one some more too. Four are history texts that Ringo would have cared less about but are good practice and not a bad bunch of stories. "Two are very important for you" Ginnie says with a smirk "because they will help teach you in beginning Latin. We can start YOUR lessons later."

We need to make sure that the first two I told you about are safe when I'm not working on them. And we might want to keep this quiet until I'm sure about what I read. I can just see people wanting to head off on a grand adventure if they think there are magic toys to be played with and I want to make sure I'm prepared before we get ourselves into that situation. I think that a nap might be a good idea I want to look at these books with fresh eyes and right now I'm a little tired.

Kate says, "The place where we keep the books is very safe. No one who shouldn't see them can find them. You just have to ask me when you want one and I can get it for you. I don't want to be mysterious with you about where they are, but this secret is not mine to tell." With a little laugh she said, "As for Latin lessons, I am certainly in need. Hopefully you'll have more luck with that than with teaching me to sew.

Mr. Booth knows a great deal about the local plants as well. Between him, my teacher, and this volume we should be able to get what we need. And I have some excuse for plant gathering myself. I've made some study of Chemistry, which I've hoped to get back to soon. Plants are used in those studies as well."

Kate neatly piled the books up. "I was surprised when Ruby asked you to go play with the puppies. Usually she is the one telling me you are old enough to handle things. But I knew you would hear everything, and I make it a policy not to argue with people who have been shot in the last day. Let's go upstairs and find a place for you to rest."

Kate picked up the books and went with Ginnie upstairs, peeking into rooms until she found an empty one. "Here we are," she said. As Ginnie got herself settled on the bed Kate asked, "Ginnie, what did your parents teach you about gods?" Ginnie just shrugs her shoulders and says “Not much.”

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 109, “Evening Conversations”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 5:30 P.M.

On his way back to the Lucky Lady, the gambler Cook says aloud to himself, "It's about time the cards fell our way." There is a spring in his step as he enters the saloon. He speaks to Henry and asks him to arrange some dinner to be brought in for his friends. Whistling, Jake then ascends the stairs to his room and opens the door without knocking. Ruby is sleeping and Jake stops whistling quickly and starts to go back out the door to let her sleep.

Instead he laughs out loud and jumps on the bed. "It's past noon, even alcoholics like us should be up by now." Ruby moans and slowly flops over on the bed next to Jake. One side of her face is red and lined with pillow marks and her hair is flat. She pushes her knees together and stretches her legs. Finally she sets her hazel eyes on Jake.

"You look like you're in a good mood," she says with a yawn, "I guess the meeting was ok? Forget that, it can wait..." Ruby rolls over next to Jake and puts her arms around him, squeezing tightly, not letting go. He is quiet at first and then says, "Yes, I suppose the meeting went well." Smiling, he strokes her hair, "They didn't give out hugs there, and if even if they were this is still better."

The gambler known as Silver Jake Cook certainly wasn't an overpowering figure. He wasn't particularly tall and he didn't have a bulky physique. No one would remember him for being the strongest man in Promise City. But his arms were strong and powerful enough that when she was wrapped in them this was the only place singer Ruby West ever really felt safe, protected and loved. Ruby nuzzles Jake’s neck, throws one leg over him and continues to squeeze him a while longer. Finally she pulls her face back just a bit and looks him in the eyes. “I’m sorry I was such a baby earlier. I shouldn’t have yelled at you and made a mess.”

"For what?" He replies, "Not to worry, we just need to have more fun. That'll cure you right up. Off to Tombstone we go tomorrow." Ruby smiles at Jake, "Yes, some fun should do it." She leans her face closer to Jake's again and kisses him softly for a moment. "I can't wait." Ruby rolls onto her back and stares up at the ceiling. "I suppose you want me to get ready so we can go downstairs and talk with everyone, right?" She turns her head and stares at Jake, then smiles again. "I know I'm right."

"Mostly right, but first I need you to talk to Katherine privately about something." Ruby looks curiously at Jake, "What?" "I don't care, make something up. Actually I need to talk to Ginnie and you are my excuse." Jake hangs his feet over the edge of the bed. "The girl needs to know a few things and Katherine would have chickens if she heard me talking to her the way I intend to."

"Oh boy," Ruby smiles. "You'd better watch out for that kid," she says climbing off the bed, "She has some bite to her. Of course, she doesn't realize you and I both bite back." She starts unbuttoning Jake's shirt to get herself dressed. She slips it off her shoulder then stops. "First you have to kiss me, then I'll do anything you ask." She gives Jake a huge grin and raises her eyebrow.

Jake gladly gives Ruby a kiss, almost long enough to become distracted. "Um, right, we have work to do. Ginnie's probably OK, given what she's been through it's no wonder she has a bite. Hopefully she can figure out who to bite though." Jake adds, "I hardly know her. Not like there is much I know that Katherine wants her to learn." He looks at Ruby for a moment and laughs. "It would be funny though."

Ruby finishes getting dressed and the two of them look for Katherine and Ginnie. They find them resting in one of the rooms on the second floor, Ginnie wakes promptly when they enter. Jake takes notice of that but doesn't say anything. "Hey Ginnie, let's you and I leave these two ladies alone to chat for a few minutes. Miss West has something private to discuss with Mrs. Kale. I thought I heard that Mr. Hoover has got a new shipment of sarsaparilla in and we can try it. Or maybe that was Tequila, you know I get confused easily." Jake adds with a smirk. Katherine wakes as well and stretches daintily.

"I'm not really ready to go yet" Ginnie responds with her fists balled up. "Now, now trust Jake this one time, it will be for the best." Jake gently but firmly nudges her out of the room. She is about to forcibly resist and Jake adds in a stern tone, "Now young lady." She calculatingly looks at him. She folds her arms across her chest in pretended protest but lets him move her out. They sit down in a corner of the saloon away from others so they can speak quietly. She says "So you have something that's worth my while to listen to?"

"Your 'Mam Kate' has become the focus of Johnny Ringo because of those books, because she has a big heart, and Ringo thinks that she'll break and give up the books to save lives of her friends . She did it for Nanuet and Chester, she was trying to do it because Ringo implied he had you hostage. As long as he thinks he can use her, she's not safe, you're not safe, and none of us are safe. I don't want Johnny Ringo to have those books and I don't want the Cowboy gang to have any leverage on us to give them over. Therefore I need your help." Jake let's that sink in a moment.

"Ruby didn't have anything to tell Katherine. I needed to talk to you. I know you are book smart and are trying to help understand the books Ringo wants, but I need something else from you too. We either have to put you in a safe place, maybe even far away, or you need to make sure you can't get snatched. You know, don't go around alone, don't go where you can get caught, just don't be an easy target. Even better if you can keep Katherine from being an easy target. You're a street-smart cookie, keep her safe and make her think it's her idea. She is too trusting; she doesn't worry when she ought to worry. With your help maybe we can keep Ringo from even having another chance of asking her for the books. If you can learn something that can be used against him, even better. Hopefully, he'll get his justice soon and we won't have to worry about it after that." Jake taps his forefinger on his lips thinking. "What do you say, can I count on you?"

Ginnie replies, “Well I have already checked out the books and I think I might know what he was looking for and have already made sure that they will be where he can't get his hands on them when I'm not dealing with the specific translation. If he demands books again I have already earmarked the ones that he will be given to satisfy him that what he is looking for isn't in these books or at least we don't have them anymore. I also have made plans not to be alone anymore and have made sure that I have a "playmate" with me at all times who won't ask questions and will still provide me with cover.”

He says, "Good that you have some safe books to give if we must. I just don't want to see it get to the point where he has leverage and need to fool him with books. Leverage is another word for saying someone we like in danger." Jake scratches his beard and says, "We are all going to have dinner in a little while, stay with us and you'll hear everything we know."

She continues, “As far as Ma'am Kate goes she does have a very good heart and is very willing to do what she thinks she needs to protect her friends but she should be very busy with the school being put into place and it's not unusual for students to stick around their teacher when not in school so she should have less alone time herself. I need to know what is going on because if I don't I'm very likely to get killed from a lack of information not because I'm being stupid so it's up to you to keep me informed for the things Ma'am Kate isn't sure of. And by the way the next time you talk to Ruby you want to tell her that I really don't like dogs, Thanks. Is there anything else you feel I've missed?”

"Ya," Jake chuckles, "you didn't tell me if you wanted the sarsaparilla or the tequila." She says, “I'll stick with the soda someone needs to be able to walk you all home. But If I'm really good can I get a cookie too?” "Good? To Hades with being good. Stick to being clever young lady, I'll buy you a bag of cookies." Jake goes to see Hoover to get them some drinks.

Once Jake gets Ginnie out of the room Ruby falls back on the bed next to Kate. "Jake thinks we're talking about women stuff. I want to talk about Jake," Ruby giggles. "I guess that is woman stuff, huh?" Ruby stretches out her legs again. "Oh my nap was so nice, I wish I didn't have to get up. I feel so stupid, running off like that earlier. Look what I did," Ruby says pulling up her skirt, lifting her legs in the air to show Kate her skinned knees. "Silly, huh? I just got so overwhelmed, me almost dying yesterday, Nanuet almost dying today, and whatever Minerva did, which seems like a miracle." She lets her legs fall back to the bed and looks at Kate, "I guess I'm crazy huh?"

Kate replies, "You're not crazy, Ruby. Do you realize how amazing it is that all of us can have days like we've had lately and still keep going? Most people I've known would be falling apart. Yet here we are. Afraid, yes, but still going. That's a miracle too. We all have moments where we need to fall apart, so we can stay together later."

Ruby laughs, "This IS me falling apart Kate! Anyway..." Ruby starts playing with her hair, "So Jake and I are going to Tombstone. I want to do something special and fun but I don't know what. It's so rare these days just playing cards and drinking might be special and fun. Jake is taking me to the show. I thought maybe a picnic too. I like to ride sometimes just to ride. Do you have any other ideas? Since you lived there for three months?"

Kate answers, "Honey, when I lived there, it was in a dark little room. Now and then I would venture out for another bottle of something. I certainly didn't go out and have any fun. It's mostly like it is here, saloons and gambling. A little more fine dining, and the theatre." "Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry." Ruby puts her hand on Kate's arm. "Well, it's not like that anymore! Our lives are both very different than they were before."

Ruby is quiet for a long moment. "You know earlier when we were talking about Jake and his sister? And you said I do have someone like that, to care for me and love me, meaning Jake? I know he loves me, but he doesn't know it. I mean, I think he does..." Ruby says hesitantly. "He's the only man in my life to not say he loves me. Well, besides my father. I don't know how to make him see it."

Kate answers, "You remember in January, when you were telling me that you were afraid you were falling in love? Or really, afraid of being in love? Jake is afraid too. He knows first hand that loving someone can make you take risks you usually wouldn't take, and has dangers that you can't always see. I think he sees it, but he's hiding. He's as scared as you were, you were just more courageous." "I remember. What dangers are there that I wouldn't know?" Ruby asks with furrowed brows.

Then she giggles, "I was courageous?" She stops giggling and looks up at the ceiling. "I hope you're right, I'm just not sure..." She looks back to Kate, "So tell me, what is so great about getting married?" 'Not specific dangers Ruby. More like your feelings running amok and not being able to control them."

Kate sat up on the bed and leaned against the wall, pulling her knees up and smiling. "Being married is.... I won't lie to you, it's not wonderful for everyone. So many people marry for the wrong reasons, and they're miserable. Some people change over the years and grow apart, and they're no longer suited. But for some people... Tom and I... Being married was wonderful. It was a way to make a home together, to say to the world and each other that we were so certain of our love that we were willing to tie ourselves together forever. That we were going to stay by each other no matter what. I know, that can be done without getting married. But there's something.... When you make vows to each other. I can't explain it."

Ruby answers, “I already know about the feelings running amok part Kate. My emotions have never been like this, I feel like I am insane sometimes.” Ruby is then quiet while Katherine explains about marriage, with a twinkle in her eye. She stays silent and still, listening intently until she finishes. “I don’t know that I get the marriage thing. I was hoping for some backup in case George Eastman tries to make a speech again.” Silence. “But the being certain about your love part sounds good,” Ruby says as the corner of her lips rise into a soft smile. “And the staying by each other’s side no matter what.”

Ruby considers telling Kate how she wanted to leave Promise City earlier but kept quiet. Kate had enough to worry about. Ruby plays with her hair for a while then sits up. “I wish you could explain it because I’m confused about a lot of things lately, stuff I’ve never thought about before. And it’s filling my head with silly thoughts and keeping all the good, fun, naughty thoughts out!” Ruby giggles again, but Kate senses some real confusion in Ruby’s words.

Kate smiled. "I'm sure there is nothing that could push the fun, naughty thought from your mind.
There's one other thing about marriage. You declare to the world that you will stay together, that you're one. It also implies exclusion. Tom was a handsome man, and women noticed. I took a lot of pleasure in being introduced as Mrs. Kale and seeing their faces fall. Marriage is also a way of declaring that your partner is not available to others. That you're not available to others. That's why I was so offended by what Tony Lucky did. Well, by what Mrs. Bauer did, actually. When you marry you make a promise, and she broke it. And Mr. Lucky should know enough to respect that promise."

Ruby replies, 'Well, didn't you get bored though, being with the ssaammmmeeee person every day? I mean, eventually I would think you would get bored after a while." Ruby ponders and touches her lips as she speaks softly, "I want other women to know they can't have Jake. He's mine, you know? I was really angry at Tricia Shaw yesterday..." Ruby voice trails off, then she shakes her head her long hair going flying. "I have to stop thinking like this!

"As for Mr. Lucky, I don't believe he was at fault at all. He's not the one who broke the promise, now is he? Are you mad at me, I've slept with plenty of married men," she says matter of factly. "Why should it make a difference to me if they want to be cheaters? I didn't make anyone come to my bed, believe me."

Kate answers, "Can you ever imagine being bored with Jake? I'm sure some people do get bored, but I never did. I don't think my parents are tired of each other. You become so entwined in each other's lives, you can't imagine life without them. And no, I'm not mad at you. Tony Lucky.... he's always frightened me a bit. There's something predatory about him, I don't like it. Conrad almost hit him when he was in jail, we had words and he called me... Well, I won't repeat it. You're right, no one makes someone cheat. As I said, it was Mrs. Bauer mostly."

Ruby says, “Hum… Could I be bored with Jake? Mr. Cook is definitely NOT boring. But who knows how I will feel down the road and if he can keep me interested. He might get bored with me.” Ruby stops, then starts laughing hysterically. “Right, get bored with me.” She continues to laugh. “Poor Mr. Cook can’t live without his Ruby West, it’s so sad.” More laughter, that stops suddenly. "But I do love him and want to make him happy and want him to love me too and want him to want to always stay with me." Ruby exhales after that long sentence. "See, there I go being all crazy again! He'll never want to stay with me if I keep acting like I should be put of my misery like a horse or something."

“As for Mr. Lucky, I’ve seen his type. He thinks he’s a gift to women, but please. I don’t like him either, he’s given me that look too many times, you know the ‘I want you in my bed’ look but I am used to that so just shrug it off. Just ignore him. Or maybe I’ll tell Jake to fire him when we get a faro dealer.”

Kate says, "No, don't do that, unless you want him gone for your own reasons. He's the least of my problems. As far as Jake goes, remember Ruby, it's only been about three months. Give him some time. Let's go down and get some dinner.” Kate then laughs, “Who knows what Jake is teaching my Ginnie.”

"Kate, understand something. In my world three months is an eternity." Ruby looks at her friend with a serious expression before breaking into a smile of her own. "Yes I am starving! Let's go downstairs."

Ruby takes Kate by the hand and bounds down the steps. She was starting to feel better from the ordeal of the last couple of days, her skin was almost back to normal and the twinkle in her eye had retuned. She sees Jake and Ginnie, eating cookies, and bounces over landing on Jake's lap. She reaches for a cookie, "Oh is this what we're having for dinner tonight? We're going to need some milk then," Ruby giggles.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 110, “The Veil of Dreams”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 5:45 P.M.

Nanuet stirred from his rest, his wound was healed, only the scar remained and he felt alright. He sat up slowly and swung his feet off the bed. He adjusted the ill-fitting clothes that belonged to Jake and made his way out of the room. He had no trouble finding the room where Minerva was taking her rest and he quietly entered. He found her still sleeping peacefully so he found a chair and pulled it over to her bedside. He swept the hair from her face so he could see all the features and muttered a single word. "Nea'eše."

Minerva hears the familiar voice as if at a great distance. She sighs softly, a ghost of a smile fluttering across her red lips as she continues dreaming. Nanuet sits by her bedside struggling to stay awake. He watches the even steady breaths coming from Minerva and nods off a few times. He begins quietly humming to keep himself awake and when he finds himself nodding off he paces the floor before settling back by Minerva's bedside.

Minerva crossed through the Veil of Dreams to find herself upon a wooded path deep in the forest. She looks around in awe as a dreamy smile dances across her face and into her eyes. Sunlight shimmers through treetops kissing her brow with its soft, warm touch. Wild flowers are scattered in all directions beyond the path, their colors soft and varied, yet so vivid and rich it is like some fabulous tapestry woven by the gods. The air, thick with the scent of flowers and ancient earth embraces her with its sensuous musky scents.

She cocks her head and listens but the forest sounds, like the ground she treads upon, are dampened by fallen leaves, and a moss so soft and green it invites her to stay and rest upon it. Yet she is compelled forward, drawn to a strangely beautiful humming in the distance.

As she slowly walks down the path she is reminded of the soft drone of bumble bees’ wings on a sultry summer afternoon, but it is a sweeter sound than this, full of emotion and promise, she thinks. “Perhaps fairies inhabit these woods.” She says aloud, but the thick forest air muffles her words. Looking ahead she spies a fork in the path and quickens her pace. Before it stands a dark figure. He has a fierce male beauty, a warrior's body, tough and tight and carrying the marks of battle. His eyes… She can feel the power of them as she approaches without fear.

“Why have you brought me here?” she asks. “It is time for you to choose.” He responds in a deep, yet gentle voice. She gazes beyond him to the right. There lies a well-trod path trampled smooth by the passage of many who have come before. She turns and studies the path to her left. It is much more treacherous, not much more than an empty stream-bed it is strewn with rocks and brambles and yet not so overgrown that it is impossible to navigate, She musses. Minerva raises her eyes and questioningly meets the steady gaze of the ancient Elven warrior.

“It is for you to choose.” He says. She stands unmoving, a deer on alert, her body tense with the strain of listening while her dark doe colored eyes scan the distance …. and she hears it softy floating up the left path toward her...The faint musical humming. She turns back and smiles up at the warrior. “Gracias,” she says as she curtseys gracefully. In one fluid movement she raises her skirts to protect them from the brambles, turns and lightly bounds down the un-trodden path.

Minerva slowley awakens from her dream. She has no idea where she is or how she got there. The last thing she remembers is begging for Nanuet's life, but rather than feeling panic upon awakening, she feels rested and at peace. She turns her head and is not surprised to see the Indian's dark eyes watching her, his brow furrowed in worry. She reaches up and cups his face gently in her hand. "Do not look so sad. Senor. All is well." she says softly and smiles.

"Sorrow is not how I would describe how I feel now." Nanuet replies timidly taking Minerva's hands in his own. "Concerned, awed, amazed, befuddled, nervous, excited... those words all come to mind, but not sad." he says, a light smile cracking his lips. "I do not know how or what you did, and I am not sure how I can thank you but... well, you saved my life."

Nanuet waits for Minerva to respond, looking deeply into her eyes for as long as he can bear before turning his head away ever so slightly. “Oh my, You must have been have been sitting in that chair quite a while“, She teases. She takes his hands. “Senor, have you ever heard of the Veil of Dreams? I was there this day. I believe that I was summoned by one of your ancestors. I do not know why he would choose to do so but, it appears that we have much to discuss. Minerva rises from the bed and gently kisses the blushing Indian. "Thank you for guarding my dreams. Now let us find some food. I am absolutley ravenous!" She laughs and taking his hand leads him to the door.

Nanuet had barely a moment to comprehend the kiss from Minerva before she took his hand and began leading him out the door. "What is this veil of dreams she speaks of? he wondered. "Yes, food sounds like a great idea!" Nanuet said with much enthusiasm. He stepped forward and opened the door for her not letting go of her with the other hand. He couldn't get the thoughts out of his head, this woman that he originally met with indifference not so long ago was now captivating. Yes, much to talk about, but where to start? "So what is this veil of dreams you mentioned?" he says as he walks with her out to the common room of the Lucky Lady.

As Nanuet escorts Minerva to the dining room she explains, "There are two Veils, or curtains that separate our world from that of the gods. The Veil of Power which crosses into the realm of the gods. They do not suffer the presence of Mortals there, Except, perhaps for those such as Hercules." she chuckles "The gods use this doorway to observe and manipulate events in our realm as pleases them. The second veil, the Veil of Dreams is a sort of middle ground. Since the gods are not allowed to directly manipulate mortals." Nanuet looks at Minerva quizically,

She answers, "Si, Senor even the gods must follow the rules, They, under special circumstances, will bring a mortal into this middle relm so that they may attempt to influence them by imparting knowledge of importance to them . But whatever decision is made it must be the Mortal's choice. The gods can only hope that the mortal will choose the path that the god desires. I crossed the Veil of Dreams this very day as you stood guard over me." She smiles at the look of disbelief on his face. "I know that it is difficult to comprehend. It does not happen often. "

"It is unwise to allow the spirit to leave the body as you know, other darker forces can interfere and the spirit may be lost. But you were there to guard me and the gods must have deemed you worthy of such guardianship. It was no dream, Senor. I heard you humming. You led me back. Muchas Gracias" She says and squeezes his arm. Shestopes and faces him. Looking him solemnly in the eye she asks, "It is of paramount importance that you understand what happened this day. Do you believe I speak the truth, Senor?"

"I would prefer to share the details of my journey with you later when whe have the time and privacy to discuss it as it concerns you also." she smiles up at him. "But I am surprised that you are not aware of the Veils, as the Warrior who summoned me, although older than you, bore you a striking resemblance."

“The Veils, are not something I am familiar with." He replies. "I have never studied any formal religion. I have always just believed to be watched over by my ancestors and since I was young I have always looked to them for support and talked to them. I always believed they could hear me if I could not hear them. Kajika has shown me how to focus some spiritual energy and work some prayers, which reminds me I need to go and see him again soon."

Minerva listens intently but decides not to persue the converstation at this time. She asks, "By the way what does Nea ese mean?" Nanuet Responds, "It means Thank you“ “Your Thanks is not necessary." Minerva says. "I could not have let you die." She says warmly.

The two then enter the common room as the others gather and take seats. Nanuet pulls out Minerva's chair for her and then drags one over next to her and sits down. The main room quickly fills up with their friends. Gathered around the tables are Katherine, Ginnie, Ruby, Jake, Nanuet and, Minerva.

Jake says, "I have lot's of news, but first let me just say the town appointed a new Deputy Marshall today. So when Chester arrives congratulate him. Dinner will be here shortly, it has already been ordered." "Chester? Our Chester Martin? That must have been an interesting meeting..." Ruby says with raised eyebrows while reaching for another cookie.

Amid the buzz of conversation and questions Jake waves Katherine over, "When the food arrives and Chet's here can you keep our conversation private?" She says, "I don't have a candle, I'll need you to get one. But...." Kate tucked her hand into a hidden pocket in her skirt, feeling the different components she now discreetly carried. The little paper packet was under her fingers. "Yes, I can handle that." "Excellent." Jake gives her a smile and retrieves a candle. They drink and chat amicably waiting for the guest of honor.

A block away, Chester says to himself “I better get home. They're waiting for me." Chester soon pushes open the swinging doors to the Lucky Lady. Jeff is the first to see him. "Evening, Chester. I heard what happened. Congratulations." Jeff slaps him on the back. Chester laughs and pats Jeff on the shoulder. "Thanks, Jeff. I gotta turn over a new leaf now." He makes his way to the table where his friends sit. Chester gives a big smile. "How's everyone doing tonight?"

"Chester," Kate smiled and stood up to kiss his cheek. "From the smile I'd guess you're pleased with your new job. Come sit with us." Jake exclaims, "Come on everyone, gather round, rather round. Grab a glass and something to drink, it is only fitting we toast soldier boy here." Jake grabs his drink and says, "Excuse me, deputy marshall soldier boy."

Everyone crowds in with their glasses in hand and Jake clears his throat, "To the town of Promise City's new deputy marshall. Our own Chester Martin makes good. I'm glad they finally recognized you for the fine upstanding citizen that you are, nobody deserves this more than you. May your courage never fail you, may your gun shoot straight, and don't forget to duck. Salud Chet!" Voices chuckle and several 'to Chet' affirmations are heard before glasses clink together.

There is more laughter and chatting for a few minutes before the food arrives. It is quickly distributed and Jake asks everyone to take their place. He nods to Katherine and continues keeping the attention of the group, "I have quite a bit to share so I'll go first while you eat."
As Jake begins to speak, Katherine makes sure her back is to the room and lights the candle, sprinkling the powder into the flame just after the flame springs up. She spoke the words softly, and once she felt the magic take took her seat.

Jake continues not waiting for Katherine to finish and keeping attention on himself. "The merchant association meeting was called to discuss what to do about the violence and lack of the Earps. The association is sending a group of three members to Tombstone to fetch the Earps back. Since Ruby and I were going tomorrow anyway, I volunteered to be one of them. It was also quickly decided that another deputy was in order. You might be interested to know Chet, that Cole Rixton suggested you for the job. He was impressed by the fact that you stopped the shootout."

Jake relates the other details of the meeting to everyone before he talks specifically about the Cowboy gang. "The association is afraid that having Gifford here is going to cause more trouble, so they want to ship him off to Tombstone. Davis of the Billiard place said he overheard some folks from Galeyville talking about a power struggle in the Cowboy gang. Says he heard that Pony Deal, Johnny Ringo, Billy Claibourne and Frank Stilwell all wanted the top job. Seems like you narrowed the field of contenders Chet, the man you killed was Pony Deal. Since we know that Claibourne is also out of the running it seems like it is between Ringo and Stilwell if the rumor is true. I wonder if Stilwell was one of the Cowboys we left in the desert?" Jake looks around from face to face before he continues, "So there is one thing that bothers me, if Deal was one of the men that shot at Ringo from the boarding house, and if it wasn't some trick," Jake stops and looks to Ruby. "No, the blood stain looked real." She says.

He continues, "then why would Deal shoot at Ringo and then shoot at Nanuet to protect Ringo. Unless he wasn't shooting at Nanuet for Ringo's protection." Jake says that last sentance like he was thinking out loud. "Before I let others share what each of you know so we can all be prepared, remember this. Until we finish this disagreement with the gang, be smart. Don't go places alone, or in obviously dangerous places. They are liable to kidnapped or murder without any notice." Jake glances at Katherine and then back to the rest of the group. "Lastly, Ringo must not be allowed any more of those books. We all need to help make sure that does not happen." Jake picks up his glass and nods indicating he is finished speaking.

Nanuet listens intently as Jake speaks. Unconciously his hand moves to the new scar that he bears on his torso. He waits until he is finished speaking then he talks. "Yes, we do need to share what little we actually know. I never got a chance to tell you all what Chester and I heard when we were guests at the farmhouse. There was an arguement outside our door. Fisk's name was mentioned. Something about him not being happy and thinking that we were going to tell the Earps something. Not sure if it means anything or not."

Chester says, "The cowboys also thought me and Nanuet were delivering a message to the Earps in Tombstone. I don't know if they were planning on killing Morgan Earp then or what. But we've chosen a side in this war between the two groups. So we're all targets."

Ginnie interjects, “Johnny Ringo tipped his hand and believes that I would be an easy mark for kidnapping. He even convinced Ma'am Kate of that, although she should have known better, and that is about as far from the truth as he can get. He also believes that I'm an empty headed little girl who isn't bright enough to follow a conversation or keep my mind on a subject and that I can be tempted with sweets. Well the sweets part he has right.

The reason he wanted thoses books is that one of them is litteraly an encylopedia of local spell componets. With the view most people have of magic it is invaluable to us and as a magic user to him although I'm not sure if he realizes how extensive it actually is. It isn't a problem for a young girl to go picking flowers and collecting strange things and I have talked to my friend from the cantina and he's willing to go with me on my collecting "adventures" so I won't be alone ever. This book does mean that I really need to work on my advanced Latin more, and we're going to need a safe space to test the componets once I'm pretty sure that I have collected the right ones so we don't have any surprises in the middle of a battle.”

Kate says, "I wasn't convinced he had you, Ginnie. In fact, Miss Florencia was going to go check for you at Mrs. Kelley's before I took those books out. Then the shooting started and it became a moot point. And so you're aware, there are at least a hundred or more books that Ringo wants. That's a lot of reading ahead. He asked me for all the books in Greek, Latin, and Atlantean. I pulled those particular books just because they were small, I had nothing else to go by so I hoped at least shorter books held less information than larger ones."

Ginnie says, “I think I better invest in a bunch of cookies, a cow and a comfy chair. My latin is good my greek is passible and I'm still struggling with Atlantian. Do we actually want to ear mark some of the books as "useable for emergency blackmail" status? The stuff that I can read and copy as lessons but really isn't going to give him anything that would be worthwhile or dangerous to us?”

Kate replies, "It certainly won't hurt. Let's hope we won't have to give him anything. It won't take him long to figure out we're keeping certain volumes out of his hands. They used to be his books, after all. He knows what's in that library." Ginnie interjects, “But right now he doesn't think any of us can read the languages that are in them and so we just hand him a mixed group of books in a language if we absulotly have to hand him something. And we make it look like we're obllivious to the information we've gotten from them. It works as a backup if we have no other recourse.”

Kate nodded to Ginnie, then looked over at Nanuet. "Hamilton Fisk was mentioned? We knew he was a snake, but I can't say I'm surprised to hear his name linked with the Cowboy Gang. I don't think there's anything I know that the rest of you don't. When I spoke with Ringo the first time he tried to play friends. He offered me Morgan Earp, to bring him somewhere so I could talk to him, with the understanding he wouldn't be allowed to return to his brothers. I turned him down.

He talked about Tom," she says with a disturbed look. "Said he thought he was a good man. I'm not sure why he wanted us with him so badly. Maybe it has to do with the power struggle inside the gang."

Nanuet states, "I am really confused though over the days events. Why would somebody shoot at Ringo, then shoot at me for shooting Ringo like Jake was saying. I really have no idea. How many Cowboys are there? Seeems like there numbers have been thinned significantly lately. Do you think they will stop to regroup or will this war that has been declared keep up? It sounds like they don't even have a leader, a leaderless army can't be a very effective one. Sorry, I'm just rambling here."

Chester says, "Rambling can lead to unexpected answers. It seems like they have an unlimited number of cowboys, don't they? A leaderless army may not be as good, but they can be more dangerous. With a leader, you can figure out his strategy. A mob can go in any direction all at once. Especially now that we've hit them hard."

Remove ads