Wizards, Whiskey and Wonderful Things - Concluded

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 111, “Plans”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 6:30 P.M.

Chester takes a drink. He looks at Jake and Ruby, "You two get anything from the prisoner? I'll be guarding him tonight, so I can give it a try." Jake says, "There were two shooters this afternoon, one is not accounted for. If the gang still wants to free or kill Gifford they have tonight, in the morning when he is put on the stage, and the stage ride. Chester you need to figure out what help you will need if any before he is safely on the stage." Jake keeps picking at his food.

Chester replies, "I agree. With the Earps out of town, it's just me and Deputy Rodriguez. It'll be easier to get him out now. Rodriguez needs to get some sleep, though. If I could have one person outside of the office until Gifford gets on that stage, I'd be grateful.

Jake continues, "I'm sure that the Cowboy gang know that Gifford is being moved, they must have at least one friend on the Merchant Association. Take Ike Sherman for example; I'll bet he is either connected to the gang or a member of it and uses the Papago Cash Store as a handy place to communicate and supply. Katherine isn't that where Ringo had you leave his horse a while back?" Jake smirks and says, "I bet a clever lawman could gather some useful information watching the place secretly, that is sometime later in the week when he isn't doing guard duty." Chester replies, "I hear you. Who knows what a fellow can see while on patrol?"

"I wonder," Jake goes back to scratching at his beard, "if Ringo could be fooled into thinking the books were out of your reach Katherine; stolen, burned, destroyed or whatever." He looks at she and Ginnie. "Something to consider anyway."

Kate says, "I'm not certain. We might start a rumor around someone who we suspect has connections to the gang. Mr. Sherman maybe. Jake, what do you plan to do in Tombstone, if you don't mind my asking? You'll be seeing the Earps, what do you plan to tell them?"

He answers, "Ruby and I were going to go and get away for a few days of fun, at least that was our plan prior to war breaking out. I thought it would be a good idea to find out first hand what really happened to Morgan and talk with Wyatt unofficially about which Cowboy gang members were no longer a problem for them. Seems like the association now wants me to help convince Wyatt to come back immediately. I have no idea yet how I would do that. I'm sure I'll think of something. I'll probably just listen to how the other two going with me mess it up, and then do something different."

Jake laughs. "Speaking of the Earps, there are only three Earp lawmen now. This cheap town may have been thinking that Chester's appointment was temporary and that two Earps would be coming back as lawmen. That may not be the case. Two may stay in Tombstone and only one come back here. That is if they even have the stomach to finish this fight. They could always find the murderer and then move on."

Chester says, "Jake, you and Ruby be extra careful. When me and Nanuet ran into the cowboys the second time that day, they were waiting. And they had the Gatling gun. I hope whoever's left don't have another one." Jake says, "Chet, if they have a Gatling gun waiting for us, I may just put a bow on Gifford’s head and make a peace offering." Ruby raises an eyebrow, "You have to bring Gifford on the stage? That's a recipe for disaster."

Jake answers, "That is the Merchant Associations plan, if they forgot and he stayed here I would be pleased. I suggested leaving him here was a good way to get Wyatt back to further question him. Nobody bought it."

Kate interjects, "I don't see the Earp's tucking tail and running. They'll stay around at least long enough to deal with the Gang, after that it's anybody's guess. I'm sorry, I'm not much help here. Unless we're going to go after the Cowboys all we can do is keep living and keep our eyes open. I don't like how long this could go on for if that's the path.

When I talked to Ringo, he said he didn't wish me any harm, that he didn't wish Nanuet and Chester any harm. I still believe him," Kate raised her hand as she saw several mouths open. "I also believe he won't hesitate to kill any of us if we are even a little bit in his way. Chester adds, "Yeah, but was that before we killed dozens of his men?"

Jake says, "Well Mrs. Kale, there is only one person standing in his way of getting those books. There is only one of us that can get to them." Ruby coughs as Jake makes this statement. Jake reaches for a bottle to refill his glass. "Unless of course you count me who is trying to stand between you and him." "How else can you two help? Besides putting Ringo in a six foot hole?" Jake laughs darkly, "We need information and tools. Who are the gang members in town, and how do we get through Ringo's protection." "That a good mission to put you two on," Ruby says looking at Kate and Ginnie. "Ginnie seems to be very good at getting information. Hopefully Mr. Gonzales comes back and can help with the other part."

Kate nods and says, “Trying to make Ringo think the books are gone is a good idea, but you all know how good I am at lying. A rumor planted at the Cash Store could get back to Ringo, it would give him one less reason to consider us in the way. So Chester will try to get something out of Gifford. Is there anything Ginnie and I can go beside find out what's in those books?" Ruby states, "Gifford's not talking, I tried. And if I can't get the information, I doubt Chester will either." Kate says, "You're likely right. Chester doesn't quite have your persuasiveness," Kate smiled at Ruby.

Chester nods. "No one would suspect a kid of being a spy. By the way, Kate. When you get a chance, could you teach me about this magic you and Mr. Gonzalez use? It seems like wizards are a dime a dozen around here. I don't want to be caught unprepared." Kate says, "I'm not sure there's much I can teach you, but we can talk. I'll do what I can." Chester says, "That's OK. I don't want to learn how to use it, just what to watch out for. Consider me practice for teaching children."

Kate looked over at Ruby when she coughed, but kept quiet. The best way to keep a secret was to keep the number of people who knew it small. "I can't read Latin or Greek, and I don't think we have time for Ginnie to teach me. I can do the other research while she works on the books. I have to pay Conrad for the school building tomorrow, I could ask him who Fisk seems close with. Fisk plays over at the Long Branch, Conrad might have seen something."

Ruby sighs. "Kate, you may not know much, but we NEED you to find out. We need help and you're the one who has to do it. Ginnie can help she seems to be able to read the books. Or find a way to get to Gonzales. Or ask Dorita, or maybe Sonoma, maybe it runs in the family. I already tried asking my mentor, you saw where that got us. Finding out about Fisk is a good idea, as is the rumor."

Nanuet interjects, "Well, after my recent loss of temper almost got me killed I am ready to do what needs to be done to resolve this. What can I do while you two are gone?" Chester states, "Well, after my recent loss of temper almost got me killed I am ready to do what needs to be done to resolve this. What can I do while you two are gone?"

Jake adds, "I think that is a good idea, helping Chester. Actually I don't care if Gifford's Cowboy friends manage to silence him. I'm more worried about Chester being a casualty of the gang trying. It might be even more useful to know who is trying, or simply take out more of the gang. It isn't really worth risking either one of you to save that scum if things get rough. Especially since we'd just be saving him for a date with a rope or Flint's revenge bullet in the back."

"And you two have to keep an eye on the Lucky Lady and Kate and Ginnie and Minerva and Tricia." Ruby pauses. "And the puppies." Pauses again. "And each other." Whoa, I can only be so many places at once." Nanuet says laughing heartily. "I am sure there is enough around here to keep me busy. Should I stay with Chester at the jail or at least close by or should I stay here and keep an eye on the Lucky Lady. I would say that there are enough people around here to watch this place and that someone should be with Chester."

Chester says, “I think close by would be better. You can be a surprise reserve. Thing is where would you stay? I don’t know if the Great Western or Comstock House would let you in." Nanuet says, "I can find a hiding spot, I am pretty good at that. And I don't really sleep so that is not a problem either."

Ruby says, 'When you're not there you can be here. You DO actually both live here. And I think Minerva should come stay here too. I would say the same about Kate and Ginnie but they are probably safer at the El Parador." Kate says, "We're closer to our work there as well. Any changes in our usual routines could make the Gang suspect we're up to something. Beside, it might be better if we aren't all together, it makes it harder for them to kill several birds with one stone."

Nanuet asks, "Is there room for all of us? I guess there is. I don't need much sleep, but Chester has to sleep some time. Like I said, it sounds like there is enough for us to do just keeping things in line around here. I just don't want to miss any opportunities to do something that might help our cause."

Jake states, "Another thing, somebody said Pony Deal was invisible. Hermes, how can we know where our enemies are if they can keep turning invisible! Is there anything we can do about that? Any way of knowing they are there or how to find them?" Ruby states, "That is another thing for Kate to try to find out. Or ask Sonoma, she has that particular ability." Kate offers, "I can talk to Sonoma. Miss Florencia needs a horse, I believe, so we can go out to the ranch….together” Kate made sure to emphasize, "Perhaps with a couple other companions, and ask her.

"Nanuet, I wish I had a good overall plan. Besides what Ruby just said, the only other idea I have is to watch the Papago store." Jake rubs the back of his neck and looks through the Indian for a moment. "Unless you have a wagon load of books that we could have Katherine load up to give to Ringo to keep Ginnie safe. You know, and then on the way out of town near the Papago store somebody could find out and have an argument with her and burn them so Ringo can't have them. Then Katherine to run crying back to the El Parador." Everyone has stopped talking and is looking at Jake. "Ok, so it isn't my best idea. At least I'm trying."

Kate says, “know it's frustrating Jake, I don't have any ideas either. I think we just don't know enough yet, so for now we try to find it. You can let us know what you find in Tombstone, we'll find out what we can here. After that we should be able to plan better."

Ruby states, know it's frustrating Jake, I don't have any ideas either. I think we just don't know enough yet, so for now we try to find it. You can let us know what you find in Tombstone, we'll find out what we can here. After that we should be able to plan better."

Nanuet looks over at Minerva and sees that she is restless. "Well I guess that is all for now. Chester I will see you later over at the jail. We can figure out my stake out spot then." Restless, Minerva leaves the table and steps out onto the porch, Nanuet grabs a bottle of whiskey and follows her out the door.

Ginnie looks at Jake with a tilt to her head, You know it might work" she mutters to herself as they sit at the table and watch as Nanuet and Minerva leave with a bottle and a blanket. "We actually could put together a wagon of books. Jake when your in Tombstone could you "check out" the prices of paper, if anyone asks you could say your a business man seeing about resale prices for the local newspaper. I'm going to need to make some copies of the books that I'm studying for notes anyway and corrections for when I'm doing the translation. There's nothing to say that I can't bind those scrap papers into books and we can use the bad copies to burn in a wagon if we have to. The local tannery would have all of the leather I might need for covers. It's not perfect but might work for a backup.

"Sure, I'll check. I'm sure you don't need all that paper to be blank, maybe we can get scraps from the newspaper too. I just don't know how much I could bring back on the stage. It would be no good if the gang is watching us and see us lug all that paper into the El Parador. You'll have pretty sore hands making all those books kid." Jake chuckles, "Don't worry about what I'll say to get paper, something always seems to come to me. My curse you know."

Ruby shakes her head and smiles at Jake as she finishes her dinner. He was so right.

"Well, Nanuet and Minerva and are off, Chester, you should probably be off soon for your new job. Kate, would you like us to walk you back to the El Parador? I think I will hang around the saloon tonight, maybe even sing a little but get to bed early. This has been a tough week. What do you think baby?" Jake nods and smiles. "Sounds fine to me." Chester says, "Yep. Wouldn't be good to be late on my first day. When you see Nanuet, ask him to stop by the jail, so we can plan. Thanks."

"Yes, Ginnie and I need to get back. You know, I just sent Conrad Booth a note that I couldn't go to the Long Branch with him tonight. I almost wish I hadn't, I might have been able to learn something." She gathered up the books and papers, including her personal things. "I'm ready whenever you are."

"There's no reason why you can't still go, just tell him your plans changed. When you show up I'm sure he'll be happy to see you and won't care. And he'll keep an eye on you." Kate decides to return to the El Parador. Ruby and Jake walk Katherine and Ginnie back and say goodnight.

Chester stops by the kitchen. "Maria? Can I get some dinner for Deputy Rodriguez, please? I'm heading over there now." Maria says, "Felicitations, Senor Chester on your new job. I have some venison and potatoes that Senor Rodriguez should like." She quickly grills a venison steak and wraps the plate in paper. She hands it to Chester. "Thank you Maria. I'm off."

Chester delivers the food to the office. "Evening, Eduardo. How's the prisoner doing?" "He's been good, so far. No visitors." Eduardo gestures toward the parcel. "Is that for me?" "Yep. Dig in. It's venison and potatoes fresh out of the kitchen." "Eduardo talks around a forkful of meat, "Tell Maria that this is very good." Chester says with a laugh, "You tell her that yourself next time you're in the Lucky Lady. Is there anything I need to know about guarding him?"

"Not much. Keep the door closed and the shades drawn, to throw off the aim of anyone who shoots at the jail. And there's a pot of coffee on the stove to keep you up. Here are the keys. This one's to the door, this one's to Gifford's cell, and this one is to the rifle rack. Ammo's in the drawer. I'm exhausted, so I'll see you tomorrow." "Sleep tight." When Eduardo leaves, Chester locks the door and sits at the desk so that he can keep an eye on Gifford and the front door at the same time. He pulls out a copy of last month's Harper's Monthly and begins reading, looking around every few minutes.

After dropping them off Jake and Ruby walk slowly back to the Lucky Lady hand in hand. They spend a quiet night at the saloon, Ruby singing a set and socializing and Jake playing cards with the extra customers who don't fit at Job's table.

Jake has been watching for Jeff Mills during the night, and when he finally finds him asks him takes him aside where no one can hear them for a couple of minutes. "Hey, Jeff. Look, I meant to thank you for coming along with us on the little trip to the ranch house. Your loyalty means a lot to me. I won't pretend to understand what in Hades is going on in your life, you have some kind of mess going. I was a bit put off the other night when your southern friend was here; I heard the click of the hammer on the other side of the door after I knocked. Bad idea to have the boss shot in his own saloon. Some day soon you'll have to tell me more about Jeff Mills, but not tonight I'm bone weary." Jake runs a hand through his hair, "I still trust you Jeff, keep an eye on things while I'm away. Watch out for the Cowboy gang they may be looking for revenge on any of us or the building itself. Here," Jake stuffs a fifty dollar bill Jeff's shirt pocket, "Is a little bonus. I don't believe money buys friendship or loyalty, but Hermes I don't know what to do you help you out. You've certainly earned something for all the extra duty you been doing."

At about 10 PM Ruby and Jake head upstairs to their room, both tired. They start packing their bags carefully but before long Ruby scraps that idea, opting for the comfort of their bed instead. Jake soon follows, opting for the comfort of Ruby.

Trisha Shaw rolls over and sits up in bed, where she's been since she staggered upstairs after throwing up her eggs. At least she doesn't feel sick any more, she thinks. Slowly and cautiously, she gets out of bed. She stares out of the window as she brushes her hair and dresses, then makes her way down the stairs.

The Lucky Lady is pretty quiet. With her letter in her hand, Trisha heads outside, a little nervously. She's been to Promise City a couple of times before, but she's never really been free to walk around the town, so she takes her time looking for somewhere to mail her letter, looking around at everything. She looks up at the Alhambra as she passes it, but doesn't go in. When she's put her letter in the mail, she starts to walk, slowly, back to the Lady. She heads along Main, brushing her hair out of her eyes, and stops very suddenly as the door of the Lady comes into view...

Kate got Ginnie settled back at the El Parador with the books, and fetched a couple more for her to look at as well. The next few days would be full of reading for Ginnie, and for Kate full of the struggle with magical research.

She briefly considered going over to the Long Branch, but her real reason for not going was still there. After spending last night with Tom, how could she go spend this one with Conrad Booth? True there was nothing between them, officially at least. But she knew he had hopes and she wasn't sure it was right to encourage them any further.

For a couple hours she stayed in her room helping Ginnie as best she could. Once the Cantina grew quieter Kate went downstairs to see Dorita. She helped clean up, and when they both happened to be in the kitchen together she spoke. "Dorita, I'm sorry if I frightened you today. There is a lot going on, and I think you should know about it. But before I tell you these things, I want to be sure you want to know about the trouble my friends and I are in. Sometimes ignorance can protect you, although it certainly didn't stop Johnny Ringo from coming here posing as a friend of Tom's."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 112, “Minerva’s Story”, Sunday, March 19th , 1882, 7:30 P.M.

“Of course you tell. Tell while you wipe," Dorita said, handing Kate a dish towel. Kate picked up a plate and began talking. "You know that we've crossed the Cowboy Gang several times," she began, then launched into the story. Some Dorita already knew, some she didn't. Kate was surprised at how much she had to tell in order to make everything make sense, right down to the fact that Morgan Earp had killed Tom. About Flint's partner and helping the Cartwrights, the books and Jake's jacket. Ringo's offer to bring her Morgan Earp, the kidnapping of Nanuet and Chester, his demands that they choose a side, and today's threats and fears.

"I never thought helping someone would lead to all this," Kate said finally. "I'm sorry to bring this trouble to you, but now that Ringo has declared his war, I hope this will be over soon. I don't think he'll do anything here, but it's only right that you should know." Dorita says, "You poor little girl, I sorry that I let that man in here. He dress nice and say he friend of your husband. I keep him away if he come back. You should tell Grandfather about all of this when you see him."

Kate replies, "There's nothing to be sorry for. I think he believes he was Tom's friend, and he can be pleasant enough when he wants to be. I'll talk to your Grandfather as soon as possible." She replies, "He stayed out at the ranch this night with Sonoma. If you decide to ride there I need you to bring out some horses. Enough in the stables now without needing extras."

As they are finishing up the conversation a strange man sticks him head into the kitchen. He is human, with olive-colored skin, dark hair, and a long dark mustache. He says in a thick Italian accent "Mrs. Figueres, what-a-time should I be down for-a-breakfast? Oh, excuse me, I not know you have a guest." Dorita says, "I start cooking shortly after sunup, although most of your employers sleep late so no need to rush. And no be so formal Joseppi, call me Dorita. This is my friend Katherine. She lives here too." "A pleasure," he states, making a formal bow towards Kate. He then departs.

Kate says, "I must say Dorita, you get the most unusual guests here. After all the different people I've seen I shouldn't be surprised to see an Italian. Who are his employers?" She replies, Some previous guests who returned, they known as Arcade's Gang. Joseppi is their chef. They buy house down street and will move out soon but he helping me cook here until then. He know how to cook lots of new recipies and what he cook last night taste very good. I maybe make arrangements for him to cook here a night or two every week."

"And give you a bit of a break, which you deserve," Kate said and kissed Dorita's cheek. "How would we all get on without you?" Kate hung the dishtowel to dry. "I was planning on going out to the ranch tomorrow anyway. I'll take whichever horses out you wish and talk to your Grandfather. I didn't know where he went, I thought he had gone away again. I'm relieved he was with Sonoma, I've been worried about her out there alone.”

Dorita replies, "Oh, he did go away. He help Arcade's Gang fight French Army in New Mexico mountains. They all get back. Some go straight to ranch and Grandfather decide to stay there. The horses to take out are two big black stallions, they hard to miss."
"Two black stallions. Yes, they would be hard to miss." Kate says, “Now I should get myself to bed. Good night, Dorita. Thank you." Ginnie's eyes were dropping when Kate returned to their room. She closed the books and declared bedtime for both of them.

Across town, Nanuet takes Minerva’s arm, "Let me show you an area where I like to walk. I hope you will find it as beautiful as I do. This desert area can be an amazing place when seen in the right light." The evening air is chill as the two stroll wordlessly through town. When they reach the grove across from the El Parador Nanuet speaks. "It will be chilly where we are going, let me get something for you, wait here for a moment."

Nanuet hands the bottle of whiskey to Minerva and heads into the grove. Shortly he returns with two blankets. "Here, wrap this around your shoulders, it should keep you warm." The other larger
one he keeps rolled up and holds under his arm. Nanuet leads Minerva out of town past the druid grove and towards the abandoned mineshaft. He points out any interesting things as they pass and when they reach a clearing he stops.

"Taa'eeše'he" he says softly as he guides her eyes to the moon. She stands with her back to him gazing up it. "Your language is so beautiful” He replies, "I feel that the moon is so close to us out here. Not sure why, but I have always had a special place for her. Maybe because she kept me company on so many lonely nights."

Minerva notices the momentary sadness darken his eyes. He turns back to her as he begins to unroll the larger blanket, " I know so little about you, tell me your story." Nanuet settles himself on the blanket and motions for Minerva to join him. She takes her time arranging herself on the blanket, stretching her legs out before her and meticulously tucking her skirts around them as she carefully arranges her thoughts. Seemingly satisfied she turns to him with unwavering eyes to be sure he understands says:

"I have told NO one of my past Senor, but we are bound together by a power stronger than either of us, and so I will trust you to keep my secrets." She gives him a small smile in an attempt to reassure herself that she is about to do the right thing. Nanuet returns the smile and then speaks. "I know we are bound, if by nothing else then by fate. I am an honest man and you can trust me to keep anything secret if that is your wish. I do not want to put you under any pressure, you do not need to tell me anything you are unsure of." ”No, it is necessary that you know.” She says.

She takes a deep, calming breath and continues quietly "As you know I hail from Spain. I do not know what you know of this place but it is not a cleric friendly place." She laughs darkly as she sweeps the hair from her face in a nervous gesture and reaching forward plucks a blade of grass. "I was raised in a provincial town, the kind where everybody knows everybody’s business, where tradition is worshipped more frequently than the gods and," she spits out the bitter word "wizards... rule with dirty hands."

She glances at him with an angry glint in her eye and continues her story. "The gods have bestowed The Gifts upon you also so you will understand what I am about to tell you. It will be a relief to do so. "she says reaching up and briefly touching his face. "At a young age I was able to manage simple spells. I found that I could heal animals and playmates of minor injuries, create light without fire to read in the dark barn ... that sort of thing, and I heard voices too." she continues to worry the blade of grass between her fingers.

"When my Papa, I have no Mama, realized that I could do such things he punished me quite severely to try and protect me, he said. He knew that the wrath of the wizards would have been much worse, but as you know when the gods call you it is impossible not to do their bidding. So I was always in trouble and as you know the gods sometimes are no help in that area at all. After all they are busy and don’t have much time to concern themselves with the individual, what with whole worlds to look after.” She musses darkly.

She sighs and looks at the moon. "Anyway, As I got older I learned to disguise my gifts as more acceptable skills in order to do the gods bidding. People knew though and would come to me in secret when they needed healing." " My Papa tried to keep me out of mischief by taking me out on the hunt regularly. That's how I learned to handle firearms. "

She chuckles remembering him fondly "Papa, tried everything to get me to tow the line but I always fooled him. I practiced the flute and trained to be a proper lady. It didn't take long to learn that a charmingly sweet smile and sharp wit could explain my actions away but when that didn't work I learned that “running and hiding were better attributes than kneeling and praying for deliverance.”

As I grew into womanhood I guess I just got angrier at all the prejudices and hypocrisy of such a small town and I wasn't always so careful to hide my gifts so I learned to stand and fight." Papa was involved in the town politics but once he could no longer hide my "deformity" the wizards made it ... difficult for us. When I was nineteen I returned home one day to find that the town folk, mostly wizards, had confronted Papa with their suspicions that I was a cleric." Minerva's eyes fill with tears and her voice thickens with emotion. "He tried to defend my honor... I was too late....They killed him." she says softly but Nanuet can feel her trembling with anger.

"I went into a rage and extracted my revenge. I'm not sure how many died. It doesn't matter." she says openly weeping now as she rocks with her head bowed and hands around her knees. She attempts to steady herself. "You know most of the rest. I boarded a ship to America and wandered for two years taking up posts as a preacher in different northern towns but I was angry and my views were too "liberal". I had a friend who knew Mr. Lacey and as the goddess would have it the preacher position had just been vacated. So Luna and I hopped a train to Arizona, to Promise City. The Goddess led us here, Nanuet, I will trust that she has her reasons, Senor but I believe that you are one of them."

Nanuet moved closer and held the now openly weeping woman in his arms. "I had no idea, I am not well traveled or worldly and know little of the other lands, especially those across the ocean. You are strong for holding on to your faith after all the trouble it has brought you.” She answers, "Oh, I have no doubt that gods exist. They have placed themselves in my path even when I did not desire it… but perhaps they put these obstacles before me to strengthen my resolve. They are not a kind lot, are they?"

“I am sorry that you have felt so much pain in your short lifetime. Someday soon I will share my past with you also, but it is also a sad story and there have been enough tears for one night." Nanuet squeezed Minerva tighter slowly rocking as he speaks. "Let us only tell happy stories for the rest of the night, ones that will make us laugh and weep only tears of joy."

Shaking herself to dispel the melancholy mood she sighs. "Si senor, I agree. As my Papa used to say "A man is never so lonely as when he is surrounded by the past. My papa was a wise man."
"Yes, he sounds like a very wise man and it seems some of his wisdom was passed on to you."

Minerva and Nanuet sit in companionable silence as the moon rises higher in the sky. After a while she tells him of her journey through the Veil of Dreams. "I am certain he was your ancestor. He had your eyes, and this mark upon his arm. Minerva describes a simple pattern, not unlike those common to the natives of the area. As she finishes the description Nanuet takes her hand and traces the lines on the blanket upon which they sit. "Yes, I know those markings... " he says, with wonder in his voice.

She rises up on her knees and facing him takes his hands excitedly. “And then there is what happened when I healed you. I have never done that before! I have never felt that way before! Do you know what it means? It's meaning is NOT clear to me."

He says, "You must remember I was not quite paying attention fully when that was going on. I see my necklace has a new look and one of the stones is gone, but what exactly happened.” She replies, “I do not remember it clearly. I remember there were colors and It was as if my own life force was being drawn from me.” It is late and you and you have promised Chester your help. We should be going.”

Nanuet walked Minerva back to her room at the boarding house. "Goodnight Senorita." Nanuet said, roughly pronouncing the last word. "I will see you tomorrow. Until then sleep well and my the Goddess protect you."

Minerva stands in her room facing the icons of Minerva and Jupiter. She lights candles and prepares to give thanks for the day. Her mind wanders to all that has happened that day. The rescue and gunfights, the overwhelming fear when she thought that Nanuet would die, the strange healing that the gods worked through her, the dream journey she took which led to her decision to share her past with Nanuet and now her overwhelming confusion resulting from the comfort that he offered her this evening. Unable to focus on the task at hand Minerva slumps into a nearby chair and tries to sort it all out.

“So much has transpired this day! What does it all mean my goddess? What is it that you desire from me? It is obvious that you have placed this man in my path, but to what purpose? Is it a binding of our spirits that you seek? And why? Will we be stronger for it? Or do you intend to us to bind as man and woman. I am confused by my feelings. I do not know what you want from me!” Agitated, she pushes herself out of the chair, and begins to pace back and forth addressing the statues on the dresser. “I have never felt such cold fear as when I believed that I had lost him, nor such a sense of power as when I healed him… or such warm comfort as when he held me in his arms.” She sighs softly. A mischievous smile spreads across her face as she stops in front of the icons. “Yes, I know that it was much more than comfort that I felt.” Her eyes darken, “This is what I fear most. ”

She is lost in thought when Luna flies in through the window and lands on her perch. “ah Luna, my chicka, what trouble have you been getting into this evening?” Minerva appears to be listening to the bird. “You are hunting with the wolf now?” Minerva says in surprise and listens again. “Yes, I know it is good to have a companion, but I fear the price which must be paid for such comfort." "Well I am no nearer the answers either, Luna." "Yes, my chicka you are right, perhaps things will be clearer tomorrow." She blows out the candles and dropping her clothes to the floor crawls into bed.

Nanuet made his way over to the jail. He saw that the shades were drawn. He walked to the front door and rapped lightly. Chester startled when he heard the rapping at the door. "Oh, maybe that is Nanuet, he thought." then stood up and went to the door, peeking out the curtain.

"Glad to see you Nanuet, how are you?" Nanuet replies, "I'm fine Chet, how are things inside?"
"Fine, why don't you come inside?" Nanuet says, "Nah, I think I am going to stay outside and watch from here, if that's OK with you. I will not go to far, just around the area. I'm going to call Maska too so that she can help us keep an eye on things. "

Maska arrives shortly thereafter and is let into the Office. Not long thereafter she begins sniffing at the now dried blood stains from earlier. She then begins to lick the floor, lapping up the blood, which is something that Nanuet has never seen her do before with human blood.

"Hey Chet, what do you make of this? I ain't never seen her drink at that before." Nanuet calls to Maska to have her stop lapping at the blood. He kneels down wetting his finger and then taking a taste. Nanuet is not 100% sure, but the blood has the taste and flavor of that from a bloody steak.

Nanuet says, "Well Chet, I can't be certain, but I don't believe this is human blood after all. Ever have a nice juicy steak, still red in the middle? That is the taste I am reminded of and explains why Maska took a liking to it." Nanuet kneels down and pats the wolf gently. "Good girl Maska, good girl" He tells Chester, "It looks like Mr. Ringo did trick us today after all. Best be on our toes."

Chester asks, "Why fake being shot? Was he trying to get townspeople on his side? Or did he want to draw Jake, Ruby, or Eduardo out of the building? I can't make sense of it. We'll have to bring this up to the others. Maybe they can figure it out. Keep your eyes peeled and your ears too. There may be another invisible guy out there. What kind of signal should we have if there something unusual?" Chester smiles ruefully. "Or will gunfire be enough?"

The night at the Marshall's office passes uneventfully. With Nanuet and Maska present Chester is able to get a reasonable night's sleep. They have no difficutly at all from Gifford aside from the fact that he snores. Eduardo arrives at around 7:00 AM to relieve Chester. Chester says, "Morning Eduardo. There were no problems last night. The prisoner slept most of the time. Have a good rest?" He replies, "Good morning to you too. Slept well. But I'll sleep better once Gifford is safely in the Tombstone jail. I'll see you later."

Eduardo says, "While you're out please stop by the Wells Fargo Office. It would probably be safer if they ride the stagecoach right up to the door to pick Gifford up instead of us escorting him through the streets."

As Chester heads out of the office Nanuet approaches him and says, "Well that was easy enough, I could get used to a night like that. Good work Chet. I have been pondering what you said about why would a man fake being shot. I could only guess that it would have something to do with causing a distraction to engage the deputy so that Gifford could be dealt with, whatever they have in mind for him. Let's see if we can't make it back to the Lucky Lady before Jake and Ruby leave for the stage." Nanuet heads back to the Lucky Lady. When he arrives he explains about the blood on the floor and that they had a peaceful night at the jail.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
[DM’s Note: The events of this chapter transpire immediately after my other gaming group’s Eighth Arcade’s Gang module “The Man from Atlantis” which had been played concurrently to this game. Those stories can be found in the Arcade's Gang Story Hour.]

Chapter 113, “New Arrivals in Town”, Monday, March 20th, 1882, 7:30 A.M.

"It's off to the ranch this morning, Ginnie," Kate broke the news the next morning. "But there will be important talk there today, and I know you wouldn't want to miss that." A good nights sleep did a lot for both of them, and they were sitting in the Cantina by eight in the morning. Just as Dorita brought them each a plate.

The sun streams through the open window waking Minerva from her restless slumber. It is still quite early, barely sunrise. She rises from the bed uninhibited by her lack of clothing and gives quick thanks to her gods before dressing. Her mind is still unsettled from the events of the day before. She decides that a good workout with her rapier would be the perfect activity to refocus her thoughts so she spends the early morning hours going through her paces with the sharp blade. Feeling much more herself she heads over to the El Parador in search of Katherine and a hearty breakfast.

Kate sees Miss Florencia entered the Cantina with her usual smile. Kate smiled and waved her over. She says, "Good morning. I thought we could go get you a horse today. The Shaws will have brought our animals to the ranch yesterday as well, and there are some people there I'd like to talk to. Would you care to come?"

Minerva's face lights up at the suggestion of acquiring a horse and getting out of town for the day. "That would be lovely! Senora." She pauses for a moment. "Do you think that it is wise that we travel alone though? I believe that the others are concerned about our traveling alone. Perhaps we should ask Senor Chester and Senor Nanuet to accompany us. It is a beautiful day for a ride. I am sure it would not be a hardship for them." Kate says, "Chester might have duties to attend to today, but I'm sure Nanuet would be amenable if we can find him."

"Buena Dias, Ginnie!, How are you on this fine morning? Will you be going to the ranch also? I would dearly love to see some of your embroidery, if we have time." She sits down and turns to Dorita with a warm smile. Shes inquires about her health and orders her breakfast..

They are served breakfast by the man Joseppi who Kate had met before. He is wearing wool pants and a white apron over a shirt. Minerva notices that he has a bandage over his upper arm and shoulder. When he sees the medallion to the Goddess Minerva that she is wearing he stops and says a prayer in Italian to the Roman Goddess.

Kate picked at her plate nervously as Miss Florencia spoke to Dorita and then Joseppi. She noticed the bandage on his arm, thinking he must have been hurt when Arcade's Gang was fighting the French Army. Minerva rises from her seat and without a word places her hands over the man's bandaged arm. She says a silent prayer and says. "May the Goddess guard smile upon you this day Senor."

"Grazie," he states in a thick Italian accent. He says, "Minerva is a great Goddess, almost as great as her father Jupiter. Do you attend the La Chiesa here in la Citta di la Promessa?" She replies, “Si, Senor they are both to be revered and honored. The La chiesa? I am afraid I do not know that word.” I am the priestess currently doing the gods work in this community. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Senorita Minerva Garcia Florencia and whom Senor do I have the honor of meeting?"

He replies, "Ah, the Priestess! Then you do know of the la chiesa. The English word....Church. Florencia, that is an Italian name, no? I am Joseppi Franjoluppi." She replies, "No Senor, I am a Spaniard. But we are neighbors and that is close enough. "She laughs brightly. "What brings you to our fine town Senor? You must have arrived quite recently as I did not see you at services yesterday and from the looks of your arm I would say that you had a difficult journey."

He says, "Si, I arrived last night. I am sorry that I missed your services. How I came to be here is a long story, but the short version is that I have only been in this country for the last two days. Before that I was a conscript, forced into the service of the French military. That was how I was wounded. My new employers rescued me....well, actually, first they shot me...but then they rescued me. I am grateful to be here in the United States of America."

Kate says, "I'm glad to hear your difficult journey has ended here in Promise City. From what Dorita has told me of your skills, we should be grateful as well. Your employers have taken a house in town I understand. I hope that means we will see more of you." He replies, "Yes, America great land of opportunity. And I will be able to worship the Gods as they should be, the French did not allow me that luxury these last two years."

A shadow fell over Katherine's face but her voice remained steady. "Yes, worship is encouraged here. America has her faults, but interfering with the gods is not one of them. I'm sure you'll be very happy here."

Minerva says, “It has been a pleasure to meet you Senor, I am sure that you will find that Promise City lives up to it's name. I myself have only been here but one short week and already it feels like home to me. Unlike the narrow minded countries which we immigrate from because of the many freedoms we enjoy here this is a town open to many possibilities. I look forward to seeing you at services.”

Kate waited while Minerva and Joseppi exchanged words, and once he had gone back to the kitchen Kate spoke. "Miss Florencia, I wonder if I could ask you something? You noticed yesterday that I was... different. I didn't mention in front of the others what happened, but I find I need your advice. Would you mind?" "No, Senora, I am pleased that you feel that you can do so. You know that you can trust me to keep your confidence. Perhaps we should find a more private place?"

The kitchen door shut and nobody else was in the room at the time except for them and Ginnie, allowing for the privacy that Kate was looking for. Minerva finishes up her breakfast and says to Katherine. " We seem to be alone. Would you like to tell me your problem? now? "

"I think we'll be fine here." Kate looked at Ginnie for a moment and then back over to Minerva. She took a deep breath and said, "You heard me tell Nanuet of our friend Storm's message. She came to me rather than him because she was not alone."

Kate looked down at her hands in her lap, twisting her napkin. "The spirit of my husband was also with her. We were granted perhaps an hour together, and he was granted a physical form for that time. I have many to thank for that gift. The gods of the Apache and of the wood elves, and the goddess Diana. Tom was devout, and when I chose his grave marker I chose one that honored her. Storm told me she was moved to help us by those actions. I wish to thank her, but I don't know how."

Minerva is not surprised by this. "Si Senora, I saw the lightning bolts of Jupiter surround the El Parador that night. When I saw you the next morning I was sure that some miracle had occurred. I will tell you what to do." she says and proceeds to tell her what she needs to do to honor the goddess Diana. "Is there nothing else you wish to tell me Katherine?"

A rosy blush crept up Kate's neck and into her cheeks. "Not in detail. I told Ruby what happened, how we... Well, she said I must have been dreaming. She might be thinking I've finally gone crazy right about now. It's a relief that at least one person can believe this happened, someone who'll remember this when...." Kate realized her hand was pressed over her stomach.

"I think I ate a bit too much this morning," she said with a little laugh. "Why don't we go for that ride? Dorita has a couple horses she needs taken out, we can ride them over. We can check the Lady for Nanuet, or the grove, it shouldn't take long to find him."

Kate asked Ginnie to put together a little lunch basket for them while she and Minerva go find Nanuet. The two women check the grove, and then go to the Lucky Lady where they asked Niles Hoover if he had returned yet. Kate let Minerva go upstairs and check for him while she sat down for a moment. Minerva and Sonoma had never met, and she wasn't sure how they would feel about one another. Especially with regards to Nanuet. But then, that was none of her business and there was no use borrowing trouble. Minerva came back down, followed a few minutes later by Nanuet.

Nanuet welcomed the opportunity to ride out to the ranch. He needed to be outdoors in the fresh air. He walks alongside thinking of conversation that might be productive. "Good morning ladies, I trust you all slept well? I am not sure if you heard or not, but Chester had an uneventful night over at the jail. I did discover something odd however. The bloodstain on the floor does not appear to be human blood... we think it may be cow's blood. Ringo tried to pull a fast one on us."

"I'm glad somebody slept well" Minerva thinks looking toward Nanuet with a wry smile.
"Well Senor Jake guessed correctly then. It was a set up. We should be very careful today. Remember there is still at least one man out there that we have not found and he may have the means to make himself invisible. We should be extra alert and also take care what we say on the open road. And we should have our weapons ready in case there is trouble. Senor Chester gave me some of those special bullets also. Does anyone else have any? "Minerva's owl can be seen flying ahead of them. "Luna will let us know if she sees anyone approaching."

Nanuet nods and replies. "Yes, I agree we need to be cautious. I am not sure who else has those special bullets. Shall we go in and give Kate a hand with the horses?" Nanuet leads Minerva into the stables looking for Kate and offering to help with the mounts.

Ginnie puts together a big lunch and packs some of Dorita's preserves to begin stocking the kitchen at the house. She then puts together a second basket filled with empty jars, small boxes, and pieces of waxed paper along with a grease pencil and a pair of heavy work gloves then goes looking for Kate first in the room where she grabs her copied notes. Not finding her there she looks around the cantina and then heads into the barn.

Kate heads out to the El Parador's stables to get her horse. She freezes when she gets near, hearing a strange male voice inside and instantly thinking of the Cowboy Gang. She then hears the distinctive sound of a grooming brush simultaneous to the talking. She nears, and is surprised to hear the voice speaking in German, saying "Ja sind Sie solch ein schönes Mädchen, und ich bin jetzt der, zum Nehmen des guten um Ihnen zu kümmern.". <<translation: Yes, you are such a beautiful girl, and I will now be the one to take good care of you.>>

As she nears she sees a man wearing simple cloth work clothes and brushing a brown mare that Kate has not seen at the El Parador before. There are three more unfamiliar horses in the stable including the two black stallions that Dorita spoke of. She is very surprised at the specific breed of the stallions, Arabian horses, which she had only seen before in the United States at equestrian shows. All four new horses look to be well cared for.

Kate was careful to make some noise as she came in, so she wouldn't startle the man. She walked over to the Arabian's and looked carefully but kept her hands to herself. "Guten Morgen. Excuse me, these are stunning animals. May I? He says, "Yah, Guten Morgen to you. Are you German? Yes, these are very fine animals." He gestures to the mare that he is brushing and says, "This one will be mine. I have always desired to own a horse."

She says, "My father is German, I'm afraid good morning is about all I know how to say in his language." Kate laid her hand on the Arabian's nose and rubbed it. Owning a horse is a wonderful thing. The first thing I did when I arrived here was buy a horse." She walked over to the man and offered her hand. "I'm Mrs. Katherine Kale. Are you new to the El Parador? I don't recall seeing you before." He is about to reply when he notices the others entering the barn.

Ginnie arrives followed by the others and says, “Um Ma'am Kate I need your help um... putting away some of the things in the room before we leave and then I'm ready to go I have my list of plants that I need to look for the research project I'm working on and I really want to check out at the ranch to see what we might have on hand out there to start with.”

"Yes Ginnie, I can help you in a moment." Kate waved the girl over and noticed Nanuet and Minerva also entering. "My ward, Ginnie," she introduced her. "And my friends, Miss Minerva Florencia and Nanuet."

He says, "Hello, My name is Hans, Hans Schmidt. Although if I decide to stay in the United States I will probably Americanize my last name to Smith. Yes Mrs. Kale, I am new here, but it looks like I may be staying." "How did you come to Promise City, if you don't mind my asking? And who do these magnificent horses belong to?"

He says, "My services were recently acquired by some wealthy business people. I am a professional driver. These four animals belong to them. They maintain their vehicle at a location outside of town so they have provided me with this mare to retrieve it at times when they wish to travel." She says, "It must be an unusual vehicle, if they don't want to bring it into town. But it must be a pleasure to have that fine mare.

Ginnie interrupts, “Ma'am Kate excuse me Mr. Smith, you told me not to leave my books around the room but I don't know where you want me to put them and I don't think they should be left out if we aren't going to be here.” Kate says, “Alright Ginnie, I'll go put them away in just a moment."

Kate says, “Will you excuse me, I do have one small thing left to do here before we leave. Ginnie, why don't you stay here with Miss Florencia and Nanuet, I'll be right back." Kate ran back upstairs and moved the books back into Mr. Gonzales rooms. She checked to make sure she had both her pistol and the shotgun she'd taken from the Cowboys as well as her Derringer. The leather duster went on over the riding leathers and she went back down to the stables.

Minerva approaches Mr. Smith, "Welcome Senor", Minerva says as she introduces herself. "Whom do you drive for Senor. Perhaps I know them as I am the preacher of this fair town.” He says, "My employer is Mr. Josiah Arcadiam, son of an English Lord. He seems to be a fine man."

She says, “There seem to be quite a few new additions to our town this morning." she jokes. "Are you an acquaintance of Joseppi as well?" He states, "Yah, Mr. Franjoluppi is also in the employ of Mr. Arcadiam and his associates." "Please let me know if I can assist you in settling in" she offers graciously.

He states, "Thank you Ma'am. Would you know if there is by chance a temple to the Norse Gods anywhere in this vicinity?" She says, “If there is, I am not aware of it. There are not many places of worship in the area. I conduct services in the unfinished town hall.” Hans replies "Thank you then, good day." He goes back to brushing his mare.

"We'll have to ride two to a horse, I'm afraid," Kate said when she got back. "But it's a short ride so it shouldn't tax them. Everyone ready?" Nanuet looked at Minerva and chuckled. "Guess that leaves the two of us. Perhaps it's best if you ride in front like Ginnie. As Kate said it's a short ride." Nanuet mounted the black stallion and then offered his hand to Minerva.

Dorita comes out to the barn with Flint's friend Naki-Yai. She assures Hans that it is alright for her friends to borrow the horses, that Nanuet and Kate are co-owners of the ranch where the two Arabian horses will be stabled. She also says "You can use this horse too if you bring it back," gesturing not to Han's horse but to the other new mare. "It Shotgun Sam's new horse, to replace one that get killed, but he not even see it yet so it okay to borrow."

"Thank you, Dorita." They got Naki-yai settled on the third horse. "Do you have any messages for anyone out at the ranch?" Dorita says "Just tell them to be safe. And for Grandfather to stay put for a change. Last night I get first good night sleep in a week." "I think we'd all sleep better at night if your Grandfather stayed in one place. I'll tell him," Kate smiled. "And if we're all ready, let's be on our way."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 114, “To Tombstone Again,” Monday, March 20th, 1882, 8:15 A.M.

Across town, Jake starts to wake slowly, having that feeling that someone is watching him. He feels soft lips against his and opens his eyes, large hazel eyes staring back at him. Ruby pulls back a little, her hair hanging over one shoulder, and she smiles widely, "Good morning baby. I would ask you to start our vacation early," she says tickling him, "But if we don't get out of bed soon and pack we'll miss the stage."

"No, that wouldn't do at all." Jake notices the improvement in her mood but does not comment on it. "We have a show to catch, don't we?" He climbs out of bed and then abruptly reaches back and lifts Ruby out and swings her around. "No being lazy today, we can be lazy tomorrow." Laughing he rests her on her feet and sets to packing.

When Jake is finished packing he has a rather full carpet bag that contains a variety of traveling and dress clothing. He has also prepared a backpack which has his carbine strapped to the outside and a sawed-off shotgun inside along with plenty of ammunition for all the weapons he is taking with him. At the last minute he also puts his old hunting knife inside. Ruby notices that instead of packing an extra pistol like he normally does, Jake straps an second pistol on himself before donning his duster. He then goes through an elaborate albeit brief touch and check of each revolver, the derringer and the boot knife. Each is adjusted for comfort and checked for ease of removal. Seeming satisfied, he covers his head with the black hat.

Ruby dresses in travel clothes, leaving her long jacket and hat to the side for last. She puts her green dress in her bag with emphasis, winking to Jake as she does. She packs other various items of clothing, jewelry, perfume and makeup. Finally she heads to the safe, which is now disguised by the false closet wall that Jeff Mills constructed, and takes out the cloth wrapped tiara, which she places carefully in her pocket, along with the small black velvet box that has been taking up residence for the past week. While she has it open Jake deposits some cash in the safe, "Poker winnings." She leaves Jake to gather her weapons for her.

While he is putting Ruby's rifle with his and her extra pistol in his pack he says, "Ruby, you seemed to have something stuck," Jake stops for emphasis, "in your throat when I said only one of us can get to the books yesterday. I don't even know where the books are, I just thought Katherine had them locked up somewhere. Should I be worried about where they are or who can get to them?"

Ruby looks up from her packing, “They are locked up. No, you don’t need to worry. They are probably in the safest place in all of Promise City, if you could say that.” She stops her train of thought carefully choosing her next words, “I can get to them. But Ringo will never find where they are, even if he ransacks the entire El Parador. They are safe. And if necessary Kate can put herself and Ginnie and anyone else in real danger with the books too.” Jake shakes his head. "I'll just never get used to this. Sounds good, spooky but good.”

Looking up from her packing, “Poor little Jake,” Ruby says in a mocking tone, “Afraid of things he can’t see and things that go bump in the night…” She walks over to him and places her hand on his face, “It must be scary to not know,” she says seriously, “You and I are going to have a talk one of these days, darling, so you won’t be so spooked. What do you think?”

"Afraid? Me?" He puts his hands on his hips. "Damn right I am. So educate me. I won't promise to lose my healthy concern over those kinds of matters but I'd rather know what I'm dealing with."

Ruby takes Jake’s hands off his hips and puts them on her waist. “Oh, Mr. Cook, you have no idea how much fun it is for me to educate you.” She kisses him playfully while looking him in the eyes. “Don’t be afraid. I’ll teach you things you need to know. And what I don’t know we’ll find out together. You might even grow to like it, after all,” she smiles, “You like me, right?” "No, I treasure, cherish and adore you," he says with a wink, "but that is different magic."

Ruby leans closer to Jake and putting her fingers though the loops in his pants, pulls him the rest of the way to her. She kisses him passionately for a moment before steeping back away. She smiles, then turns on her heel and bounces out of the room, leaving her packed bag on the bed for Jake. He shakes his head and picks up all the bags.

As they walk down the stairs Jake say, "Let's make sure we see Chester before the stage leaves. I have one more thing to tell him." They arrive downstairs in main room of the Lucky Lady, looking for Chester. Ruby gets them some breakfast and they eat while chatting with Niles Hoover.

Niles says "Sorry that I can't go with you but somebody has to stay here and run the place. Job should be back from visiting his lady friend so he can help out."

Hoover then says, "Oh, and here's some reading material for your trip." He hands over two newspapers, a copy of the Tombstone Epitaph Promise City Edition and a copy of the Promise City Herald. Both have front page stories about Morgan Earp's death. He says, "Chumbley came by last night with his paper after you went to bed. The Epitaph has a lot more detail about what occurred in Tombstone than the local paper so I thought you'd want to know what you were walking in to."

He shrugs his shoulders and says, "And yes, I know you don't like us supporting the Herald but they have a rather complimentary story on page one about Deputy Marshall Chester Martin so decided to make an exception this time. That kid, Angelica Young was going around selling those this morning, around an hour ago. Since she was the one covering the Merchant's Association meeting yesterday instead of Baxter I figured the story might be accurate for a change."

"Don't worry Niles. I'll take care of my man," Ruby says giving Jake a little squeeze. "Besides, you ARE the one who has to run this place, you do such a good job. Thanks for the papers," Ruby says grabbing them. "That girl seems sweet enough and I've been trying to talk to Chumbley about hiring her. I just haven't had the chance. It's Baxter we don't like. He turned us into Mr. and Mrs. Cookie."

Nanuet and Chester then both arrive. After Nanuet tells his story Jake says quietly, "I was thinking, maybe you or Chester could check over Pony Deal's gear and clothes. Even better if you can arrange Katherine to do her special check of them. If he had anything unusual we want to make sure we can take advantage of it. Understand?"

Chester says, "Yep. Anything in particular to look for? I'll give it a good once over once I get some breakfast. By the way, we didn't tell Deputy Rodriguez about the blood. Better safe than sorry."

"I'm sure they can take care of that. I also found this receipt in his wallet. Maybe Tombstone will have some answers about that." Ruby looks at the faces staring at her. "Um, I just wanted to find out who he was..." She looks uncomfortable for a moment, then quickly continues, "Time to go! Stage, we don't want to miss it. Come on Jake..." Ruby rises and starts tugging at him.

As Ruby is dragging Jake away Nanuet tries to continue the conversation. "Yeah, I understand. Pony Deal huh? Isn't he one of the big shots in the Cowboy Gang? Score another one for us then huh? Hey, when can we expect you guys back? I don't want to be worrying about you guys unnecessarily. Hope you guys have fun, don't worry about things here, we can handle it!"

"He was," Ruby answers. "We're supposed to be back by Wednesday night. And you just keep yourself safe and take it easy." Ruby kisses Nanuet on the cheek. "I plan on having lots of fun! Hopefully Jake will play along. Take care of the pups, they'll miss me I'm sure." She smiles at Nanuet, gives each pup a good head patting then continues to drag Jake out. "Bye!" she yells out over her shoulder.

Chester says, "Oh wait. I'll go over to the stagecoach office with you, I need to ask them for a favor." When the trio get outside, Jake asks Chester, "How'd your first night go? I guess pretty good since I didn't hear any shooting. So what do you need to go see the Wells Fargo people about?" Chester says, "I wanted to ask them if they'd drive the stage to the jail. That way Eduardo and I don't have to walk Gifford down the street."

Jake comments, "Hmm. Makes sense. Too bad that Gifford's going to be on the same stage as Ruby and me." Chester says, "There's only one trip a day. Just bad timing, I guess." Jake shakes his head. "This will be an interesting ride." When they get to the office, Chester takes Chuck Nevers aside. "Could you drive the coach to the jail to pick up the prisoner, Gifford? It'll be safer than walking him down the street."

Chuck checks with his boss Kris Wagner, who wholeheartedly agrees. Wagner tells Chester that he's sending both Billy Glass and Newton Gilly on shotgun duty as an added precaution. Jake lets the drovers take the bags of clothing and stow them but brings the pack of weapons inside the stagecoach with him.

Nanuet heads upstairs to his room to get a few hours of reverie in before continuing the day. He sits in his usual cross-legged position closes his eyes and clears his mind to begin the daily ritual. Or tries to clear his mind. He takes a deep breath and tries to focus his thoughts inward, but again he fails. Instead the picture in his mind is of a striking young human woman. She has flowing dark hair and soft olive skin that, he notices, swells and curves in all the right places.

Although at first frustrated with his inability to maintain the concentration necessary for his usual recuperative trance he realizes that day dreaming about Minerva is much more pleasurable than reflecting on other recent events. He gives in and lays down on the comfortable bed, another luxury he denies himself most days and instead of reliving his past he wonders about the future. He thinks about his recent experiences with the woman he only met so recently, named after a goddess, hailing from across the ocean, brought here by chance. "Chance or fate?" he says as he drifts off to sleep. A sweet feminine voice echoes back in his mind "It is neither of those senor, but it is the will of the Gods."

Jake is soon joined by Roger Fly and Neil Cassidy who arrive at the street outside the carrige. Jake notes that both men are well armed. Neil is not only wearing the double-action Colt Thunderer that he regularly checks at the Lucky Lady but also has Sharps Big Fifty breechloader rifle slung over his shoulder. Fly has a Colt Peacemaker on his belt and a Remingon-Whitmore M1873 double-barreled shotgun. Jake steps outside to them.

Neil says, "Jake, I don't know if you've ever been introduced yet. Roger runs the best boarding house in Promise City, two of my lumberyard employees live there." Roger gives Jake a firm handshake and says, "Pleasure to meet you sir."

"Good morning Roger, mine as well. It looks to be fine weather, here's hoping we don't have to warm up all this iron we are carrying, eh?" Jake looks to Neil and says, "Neil's not one to give away compliments so readily," wondering to himself if that was true, "you must have a fine place indeed."

Ruby watches Jake climb into the coach with all the weapons. No doubt he was in there situating himself, looking for the spot with the best advantage and worst weakness, placing the weapons in prime grabbing positions. Ruby wasn't going to worry about any of that. She had been hoping that Gifford wouldn't end up on the stage with them and it would be a quiet ride.

She desperately needed some relaxing, some peace and quiet, to think, figure things out. She wanted to spend some time with Jake, just the two of them alone, quality time to remind her who he was, but more importantly, who she was.

Jake was obviously distracted with their safety, so Ruby heads inside the office to purchase her ticket. Kris Wagner tries to dissuade her from buying a ticket on the stage, but Ruby insists she has business in Tombstone and that she can take care of herself. As she exits the office she watches Neil Cassidy and Roger Fly approach the coach. "Hello Mr. Cassidy, good morning." she nods to him, "And Mr. Fly, we haven't been introduced. Ruby West," she says extending her hand. "I've been meaning to come down to your studio and introduce myself, and get some pictures taken, but I've just been so busy with the Saloon. You'll have to forgive me," she smiles sweetly, batting her eyelashes only slightly. "It's a beautiful day for a ride, it's a shame it's under these circumstances."

He replies, "Charmed to meet you as well Miss. West. I had just assumed you had your formal portrait done at the other photography studio since that photographer works at your saloon on weekends."

"Thank you, Mr. Fly." She grasps his hand gently and ladylike, then slowly lets go. "Well, Mr. Barker no longer works at the Lucky Lady. And I haven't had any formal portraits done, but I was hoping to get one of Mr. Cook and myself. Perhaps when we return from Tombstone?"

Those at the stage are joined by one more passenger, the only paying passenger on this trip, namely the halfling reporter Chumbley. The five climb into the coach as Nevers, Gilly and Glass take their positions up top. They ride over to the Marshall's Office, stopping as close to the door as possible.

Jake and the guards asll watch the street, windows, alleys and roof tops. Jake glances about the ground looking for footsteps or dust without bodies. He'd be wary of anything unusual happening this early, like a wagon or something else large nearby or coming by. He also listens for the sounds of footsteps and/or the metal on metal sound of weapons being prepared for shooting.

Both Deputy Marshalls assist with the transfer of the prisoner. They have tied his hands behind his back and tied a gag over his mouth as they walk him to the door and out to the carriage. He is loaded on board without incident. He is crammed into a seat between Cassidy and Fly, with Jake, Ruby and Chumbley seated on the other side. Rodriguez wishes them luck. The stage rides out of town.

Ruby doesn't bother watching Gifford as he already has three men's eyes trained on him. Instead she turns her attention to Chumbley. "So, you have any exciting news for us today, Mr. Chumbley?" He says, "Well, I see that you already have copies of both newspapers in your hands, so I doubt I've anything more than what you've read. Oh, if you don't mind, could I take a look at that copy of the Promise City Herald?"

"Sure," Ruby replies handing him the paper. "I guess I'd better read them then to find out what's going on, huh? No more false reports of my death I hope," she giggles. She then settles in between Jake and Chumbley and reads the paper. When's she's done she'll trade Chumbley and read the other to see if there is any different news.

Jake looks relieved that the halfling isn't running off at the mouth. The main story in the Epitaph is about Morgan Earp's death. It tells how all five Earp brothers attended the Saturday night play entertainment at the Schieffelin Hall. Afterwards Wyatt and Morgan headed to Campbell and Hatch's Saloon for billiards. At approximately 10:30 PM two shots rip through the window of the rear door. One smashes into the wall above Wyatt's head, the other penetrates Morgan through the small of his back, shattering his spine. It passes right through his body and lodges in the thigh of George Berry. George Parsons, life long friend of Wyatt Earp, was a witness and was sure that one of the assassins was Frank Stilwell.

The main story in the Herald is also about Morgan Earp's death, although it doesn't have the same level of detail. That paper also has a story about the previous day's Merchant's Association meeting and the appointment of the new Deputy Marshall. Cole Rixton and Zack Morand, both of whom spoke in favor of Mr. Chester Martin, are interviewed by the reporter and have high praises for the man. Martin's employer Frank Condon is also interviewed and his reply is "Well, I guess that means you won't be seeing him guarding my bank any more. But not to worry, between my brother Morgan and I your money will be safe there."

Another story tells of the prior afternoon's shootings of Johnny Ringo and Nanuet. The story is sparse about who Nanuet is, just mentioning that he is an Indian who occasionally works for the Gunsight Brick Yard and Lucky Lady Saloon. It does describe in detail the healing that Minerva performed and has high praise for her being sent to the community.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 115, “The Ride to Tombstone” Monday, March 20th, 1882, 9:45 A.M.

Chester helped load Gifford onto the stage. He says cheerily, "I hope to never see you again in Promise City. Have a nice trip." Once the coach drives out of sight, he says to Eduardo, "Do you need me for anything else around the office? If not, I'm going across the street to see if anyone knows anything about those people shooting at us the other day." Eduardo answers, "Gifford was the only reason someone had to be here all the time. Go ahead." Chester says, "Thanks. I'll let you know what I find out."

As the stagecoach leaves town Jake reads for a while over Ruby's shoulder but soon tires of that. "Neil, which saloon in Tombstone are you part owner? How does that work for you, being away most of the time? I'm always looking for investment opportunities but I'm not sure about owning something and not being around much to see it's operations." He replies, "I own twenty-five percent of the Silver Nugget Saloon. I lived in Tombstone prior to coming to Promise City and owned it then. When I left my partners were happy to keep me on, so I could return in case the lumber business didn't work out. I don't have to be there very often because I have partners who I trust."

Jake listens carefully to his answer before turning to Roger Fly and asking, "When I first came to town I was surprised to learn there were two photography establishments. Is there really enough business in Promise City for both of you? How are the Barkers as competition?"

Fly states, "The Barkers are tough competition. If not for the boarding house I doubt we'd be able to stay in business. My prices are lower but they have better equipment and can do fancier work. I got into this business through my brother Camillus Sidney Fly and his wife Mary. They own and manage a boarding house and photo studio in Tombstone. When Promise City was being established he suggested that I set up a comparable operation here."

Some more time passes and Jake looks back at Neil Cassidy and says, "Isn't it funny how fast rumors get started and travel? Somebody at the saloon last night told me they overheard two guys talking at the Papago store about how everyone in town knows Gifford here blabbed everything he knows to Warren Earp including something about Hamilton Fisk. Somebody out of the blue thinks up something and next thing you know it is being told like it is fact. People are sure funny. I bet Fisk would have them dragged into court and brought up on liable charges in no time if he heard it. He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who has much sense of humor." Jake watches Gifford's face out of the corner of his eye.

"I'm sure glad that talk was only last night. If that talked had started early enough in the week to get back to the right ears and you really were from the Cowboy gang Gifford well..." Jake chuckles, "it seems to me the gang would want to talk to you pretty bad. I'm happy you'll be the lawman's problem in a little while." Gifford begins to sweat and his hands start to shake.

Ruby states, "Me too, Jake, I'm glad that talk was only last night. Cause I heard that A LOT of Cowboys died, and that Ringo wanted to talk as well as possibly that Mr. Fisk. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I heard that Ringo was coming by last night to talk to Mr. Gifford about the same thing and if we didn't happen to be there well... Mr. Gifford here might have done a lot of talking." Ruby shrugs but looks Gifford right in the eyes. "Rumors are funny that way."

Ruby is silent for a moment. "Course, being that was just a rumor and all... Gifford here might be wishing he had told the Earps or their associates something. Because another rumor going around is that they are REAL ticked about poor Morgan being shot and they aren't bothering to talk to anyone suspected of being a Cowboy. And you know how those Earps are," Ruby shrugs again.

Gifford struggles in his seat and indicates that he wants the gab removed. Neil Cassidy pushes him back and says "Too late for that stupid. We couldn't do anything with you even if we wanted to, we're not lawmen."

"Oh, but Mr. Cassidy, wouldn't it be interesting to hear what Mr. Gifford has to say? I mean, Mr. Chumbley here, being a newspaper man and all, could certainly attest to the Earps whatever Mr. Gifford thinks he has to say. Might be useful for them, instead of them just killing him on the spot." Ruby shrugs again. "Then again, what do I know?"

Fly says, "Okay, let's hear what he has to say." The gag is removed and Gifford blurts out "I didn't say anything to anybody, you gotta believe me. Fisk is my lawyer, he told me to keep quiet, said that would be safest. I've told nothing to nobody!" "Keep quiet about what, Mr. Gifford?" Ruby asks innocently. "If you want us to help you, you should tell us what you know."

He blurts out "There's a guy who's been setting this whole thing up, bankrolling the Cowboys. He keeps a low profile, never does anything directly. Uses these two other guys as his shills, they pretend to be the leaders of the Gang, but it's really the power guy behind the scenes who is pulling all the strings. I'm really low on the food chain, you want those two leaders and the money man."

"And do you know who the two leaders and the moneyman are? I bet the Earps would be awfully considerate of you giving them this info. Heck, we don't know, the information you have might be really important to them, so important we'd better make sure we get you to Tombstone alive and let them know what you know." Ruby smiles at Gifford reassuringly.

Gifford says, "Yeah, I know who all three of them are. It was four, but you killed Pony Deal. But I'm not dealing with you guys, what I know is the only leverage I have to keep the Earps from killing me outright, and I don't expect them to abide by any arrangement they weren't a party to."

"Well, that sure sounds like a plausible story and a good reason for you not to tell us anything." Ruby pauses and taps her lips in thought. "On the other hand, you could just be a real good liar," she says with a raised eyebrow. "Why should we believe any of this and risk our lives, if that time comes, to get you to the Earps?" He exclaims, "Fine, don't believe me. Stop the stage right now and let me out, I'll take my chances." Ruby smiles sweetly, "You wish."

"Make that two. Billy Claibourne is also dead." Jake adds dryly. "Since you let your mouth run off everyone around town is saying the other two are Stilwell and Ringo. Seems to me the Earps don't need you to tell them twice. Guess all you have left is the money man. Looks like your value is diminishing rapidly."

His eyes grow wide as Jake states that and he begins to sweat more. He starts to speak but his lip quivers. He pauses and thinks for a few minutes and then says with a meager attempt to add confidence to his voice., "There are close to a hundred in the county of know of the gang leadership, the identity of the money man is only known to a handful of us. I think the Earps may want to hear what I say."

Jake chuckles, "Well then, perhaps you do have something with which to bargain. Maybe I can convince Wyatt he should consider bargaining with you. He may be a little out of sorts right now, with his brother freshly murdered."

Jake turns to admire Ruby for a moment, seemingly to have left the conversation when he suddenly says, "There is the little matter of close to a hundred folks in the county convincing each other that the information coming out about the gang is from Lane Gifford and not each other. Which probably means some number of them would take violent action to keep you from getting to the speak to the Earps again. Let us now hope that they don't have an ambush planned on the road to Tombstone. Look around Gifford, there isn't anybody in this stage going to throw themselves in the way of a bullet meant for you."

"Go ahead and put the gag back on him, I don't think he has anything else he wants to tell us." Cassidy does so and says, "Yep, I'm no lawman. If anybody stops the stage to get this guy I say we just turn him over to them."

The remainder of the stagecoach ride to Tombstone proves to be without incident. Gifford is given another chance to talk but remains quiet, apparently thinking he has the best chance with the Earps. It is around 12:30 PM when they near the town, hearing the sounds from the stamping mills from about a half-mile out.

Now that they are nearing the end of the coach ride, Ruby turns to Chumbley. "Is your boss still considering opening an office in Promise City?" Chumbley smiles and says "Funny that you should ask that. I plan to talk to him this afternoon about that very subject." She says, "Oh really? Isn't that a coincidence. Maybe you can take us to meet him sometime. I'd love to tell him what a professional and honest job you do and what great help you've been to us, Mr. Chumbley." Ruby gives him a sweet smile.

"Oh, well then you should probably meet him soon then. His name is John Clum and he is the editor of the Epitaph. He used to be Mayor of town too but isn't at the moment. Probably will run again at some point." Ruby says, "Well whenever you think it would be a good time, let us know. We'll be in town a couple of days, we leave on Wednesday.” He answers, "Well, I plan to talk to Mr. Clum later this after noon, early evening at the most. I'm planning to give him an ultimatum. So I'd suggest that you talk to him first."

Ruby raises her eyebrows at Chumbley. "An ultimatum, huh? Is that in regard to opening the new office? You must be so tired running back and forth all the time." He leans in close and whispers into her ear "I am getting tired of the travel. It's not only inconvenient but keeps the news from being as current as it could be. Don't tell anybody, but I am currently entertaining another job offer. If Clum doesn't agree then I intend to give him my resignation."

Ruby smiles and acts nonchalant. She leans in and whispers back, "I won't tell anyone, but who is the job offer from? I'd miss you if you weren't around." He leans in even closer and whispers "I'm been offered the job of Editor-in-Chief of the Promise City Herald." She exclaims, "You can't!" Ruby realizes that everyone in the stage is looking at her. "You can't not tell me what the best dinner in town is Chumbley..." She gives him a glance, hoping he catches on. Once everyone stops staring she leans back in closer again, "But that paper is not honest. Who offered you the job?"

He says, "Why, the new owners did. Baxter is gone, they bought him out. He packed up and left town early yesterday morning. He's probably in Benson by now." "Well, I'm certainly not sad to see him go." Ruby then eyes him slightly suspiciously, "Who are the new owners?" He whisper's back "Arcade's Gang. They had a major run in with Baxter their first time they were in town so decided to cut right to the chase this time and buy him out."

Ruby continues to keep her voice low, "I thought they were outlaws...then again I'm Mrs. Cookie the prostitute," Ruby laughs lightly under her breath. "Well tell me, Chumbley, what would you like? To stay at your paper with an office in Promise City or to go to the Herald? I'm not sure your new bosses would like our relationship."

Chumbley replies, "They aren't my new bosses yet, well maybe they are, this is confusing. I need to have that talk with Mr. Clum then I can decide better what to do next. And why wouldn't they like our relationship? I wasn't aware that we even had a relationship yet? Wouldn't Mr. Cook get jealous?"

She says, "Well, I was asking your opinion as I can, on occasion, be very persuasive and if you wanted to change papers then I wouldn't go and talk to Blum. But if you want to give it a chance I will go and tell him what a great reporter you are and how silly he would be to let you go."

"As for our relationship," she says a bit louder, "Yes, Mr. Cook IS a jealous man and he likes to keep me to himself. But you and I are friends and I just wanted to make sure we keep it that way." She leans in closer again, "And I'd like to make sure I have someone to tell all my juicy stories to who will get them right. So I'd like to make sure we stay friends." With that she gives him a little kiss on the cheek.

Ruby can see the town of Tombstone now quickly approaching them. She turns her attentions to Roger Fly. "Mr. Fly, I would like to come by and get my picture taken later this week. Maybe you and I can come to some sort of arrangement that can benefit both of us. I've been told I'm quite photogenic. Perhaps you can take some pictures of me free of charge and you can display them, maybe I can display some at the Lucky Lady. Once I see the superior quality, which I am sure they'll be, I can also recommend your services when I'm singing. I bet with all the new business you'd get you'd be able to upgrade your equipment."

"Also, I'm on the committee for the festival..." Ruby stops to tap her lips for a moment. "If I could get a look at your work, perhaps I could recommend you for our official photographer? Would you be interested?" Fly says, "Why yes, I would be very interested in doing both of those things."

She replies, "Oh that's wonderful! Now all I have to do is convince my boyfriend to join me, as I do so desire a photograph of him so I can admire it while he is away." Ruby glances at Jake, not sure what his reaction will be. "I will stop by and see you at the end of the week then. We can talk about the festival then if you'd like." She then asks, "Oh Chumbley, one more question. Do you happen to know where Mr. George Eastman is staying? He is here in town with his cousin Helen Eastman Barker." He replies, "No, I saw them get off the Stage yesterday but I left just an hour later so don't know where they went. My guess is that they're probably staying at either the Grand Hotel or the Cosmopolitan Hotel."

She replies, "I'll make sure to check there then. Thanks a lot." Ruby takes a look out the window, then gathers up her papers and her bag. "Well, looks like we're here. I'm glad that went off without any problems." Jake chooses to just smile and keep quiet when Ruby wonders out loud what he will think. He continues to keep an eye outside the stage even though they are close to town.

Chuck Nevers drives the stagecoach directly to the Tombstone Marshall's Office and Jail. Jake and Ruby notices that the hole in the jail's side wall has been repaired since they had visited here in January. The Wells Fargo Stage gets as close to the door as possible and Nevers climbs down and opens the side door while Gilly and Glass stand ready with their firearms.

A man who they recognize as Tombstone's Deputy Marshall, Marshall Williams, comes to the door. As he is also the Wells Fargo Regional Director, and therefore the boss's boss, the three Wells Fargo employees are on their most professional behavior as Nevers quickly fills Williams in on what has transpired.

Neil Cassidy says "Let's get this guy off as quickly as possible. I'm here to get a Town Marshall back, not make myself a target." He has Jake and Roger help him get Gifford up and into the building. Deputy Marshall Williams unlocks a cell and Gifford is quickly placed inside, hands still tied and gag still on him.

Jake asks, "Marshall, where are the Earps? I want to make sure they know Gifford is here.” Williams replies, He replies, "You missed them by about an hour. Morgan's body left by train at noon, to be buried at their family plot in California. James Earp is accompanying the body back to California accompanied by James wife and stepdaughter who will remain there. They have to change trains in Tucson, so the other three brothers went along to serve as pallbearers for the transfer to the other train. Virgil, Wyatt and Warren should all be back here on the first train tomorrow."

Jake adds, “Oh, and I'll be in town for a couple of days so perhaps you'd still like to have that conversation." Williams answers, "Good, let me know where you're staying and I'll drop by." "I'll send word after we check in somewhere." A smirk appears on Jake's face, "I'm sure a fine detective like yourself would know anyway."

"Looks like you gentlemen will be in town overnight after all. How about I meet you at the train station when the Earps arrive tomorrow?"

"I was coming to town anyway on my own expense for a some business and some pleasure. That was a very generous offer on your part but there is no need to burden your brother on my account. I'll let you know where I am staying, you don't really need me until the Earps are back in town, do you?" Fly says, "Aren't you going to be staying with us at my brother's boarding house? That was what had been decided at the Committee meeting." Jake answers, "I was coming to town anyway on my own expense for a some business and some pleasure. That was a very generous offer on your part but there is no need to burden your brother on my account. I'll let you know where I am staying, you don't really need me until the Earps are back in town, do you?"

"No, I suppose not," Fly states. Cassidy says, "But do make a point to drop by the Silver Dollar Saloon tonight." He then laughs and says, "Give me an opportunity to beat you at cards at my saloon rather than yours." Ruby says, "Well, Mr. Cassidy, now that we won't be at my saloon perhaps you'll give ME a chance to beat you at cards." She smiles at him, "That is, if you won't hold it against me if I win."

Neil says, "Why no my dear, I would never hold anything against you. Although Mr. Cook will probably warn you, I am rather good at poker. I'm not sure which of us has won more from the other over time but overall I'd say that we are close to even." She answers, "Oh, I remember how good you are, you've had quite a few winning nights if I recall. Perhaps you'll go easy on me then and let me win a few hands, just so I don't feel left out." Ruby gives him a mischievous smile while twirling her finger around a curl in her hair.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 116, “Surprises at the Ranch”, Monday, March 20th, 1882, 11:00 A.M.

The ride out to the ranch is uneventful. All three animals appear to be excellent animals and are not at all tired from the trip, despite two having more than one rider.

What the group sees when they arrive far exceeds their expectations. It has only been a few days since they have left and it is hard to imagine that this is the same ranch. There appear to be three times the number of animals than they last saw. In addition to the twenty-nine sheep last there fourteen lambs are running about. Of the original twenty cattle four have given birth to calves. Another penned off area has all of the newly acquired cattle from the farmhouse.

And there are now three horse corrals rather than one. The first corral has the horses from before and the new ones from the farmhouse. The second corral has eleven horses, seven of the size, breed and markings as that which Naki-Yai is riding and four more black Arabian stallions matching the pair they are riding on. The third corral has the horses belonging to the party that had been left at the Shaw ranch as well as six more belonging to Emery Shaw and five of his Ranch hands who are busy helping Flint put up wooden fencing rather than ropes around the various corrals.

Nanuet says, "Well it sure looks like this place has been busy. I am sure to get a scolding from Sonoma for not being around more to help!" Sonoma and Gonzales walk out to greet the others. Emery and Flint also head over, Flint and Naki-Yai embracing one another. Emery says "I don't see my daughter with you. Is she still in town?"

"Yes," Kate said absently as her eyes roamed over the changed ranch. "Yes, she's in town. We didn't see her this morning or we would have brought her out. Sonoma, this is miraculous. So many changes.... Mr. Gonzales," Kate smiled as he came forward and helped Ginnie down. Katherine followed her to the ground and embraced her teacher. "There is much to talk of."

"Mr. Shaw, thank you for your help. You have been more than generous, even helping here. I'm sorry... I'm a bit overwhelmed." Emery replies, "Well, my boys and Flint brought the new animals out yesterday. When they got back to the Bar-S they said that what you had set up here was sufficient for what you had before, but not with all of the new animals and the other new horses that Mr. Gonzales brought. So we decided to ride back here and help turn this into a proper ranch." He pauses and then says, "And I also came to fetch my wayward daughter."

Kate replies, "Yes, with the new silver strike lumber was scarce, we had to get along as we could until demand slowed. I saw your daughter last night at the Lucky Lady. You could either go there, or return with us later and we can take you. I expect we'll be here most of the day though. Are there any cattle left we still need to return to their proper owners?"

"There probably are but it's hard to tell now. We pulled out the ones that we knew the brands for. Today I've noticed that the brands on the other ones are now gone, crazy that, but I guess what's done is done. Plus the County Sheriff is probably too busy now to be bothered with looking at cattle. Not sure if you heard yet, but there was some trouble in Tombstone."

He pauses and says, "As long as my daughter is fine then I guess I'm in no rush. We might as well finish the work we started here. Plus it will give my oxen a chance to rest after hauling those heavy wagons of lumber." He gestures behind him and around the hill where she now notices eight oxen grazing in a field around a quarter mile off.

He says, "So later today is fine. Miss. West had invited me to visit her saloon and my boys probably will deserve a night on the town after all this. I imagine there aren't too many places in the town where we'd be welcome, what with two of my workers having elvan blood in them."

Nanuet and Minerva trot up to the others. Nanuet hops off the horse and then helps Minerva dismount. "Hello Flint, I am sure you remember Miss Florencia. Mr. Gonzalez, Sonoma, how are you? I don't believe you have met Miss Minerva before. She is the new priestess in town."

"We heard that Morgan Earp had been killed. We had some trouble in Promise City as well, a prisoner who is a member of the Cowboy Gang. Someone took some shots at the jail. I believe they are moving the prisoner to Tombstone today.

But on a lighter note, you will be most welcome at the Lucky Lady, as well as the El Parador should you stop there. As you can see, I wouldn't be much help with fence building, but I should have a look at those horses. That's my job around here. Thank you again, Sir. You've been a kind friend.

Ginnie, why don't you take our lunch basket into Sonoma's house. And you had some things to collect for your studies, yes? Just don't go off on your own, come back to us if you can't find someone to go with you and one of us will. Mr. Gonzales, would you care to come with to the horse corrals?" He answers, "Certainly my little sandpiper. Come take a look at the new acquisitions, I need your opinion about one of them."

"Am I to teach you again? That didn't go so well last time," Kate smiled as they walked, leading the horses. He replies, "Oh, I've had a lot more experience since then." He shows her the horse in question, a brown mare. "I rode her for nearly seventy miles from New Mexico. My little bird Morgana spoke to her first and that seemed to help. Morgana says that she is mine if I wish to keep her. I'm inclined to say yes but wanted you to check her first."

Kate says, "I'm to tell you from your Granddaughter to stay put. Your bad habits have been keeping her up at night." He says, "Oh, well, I do have one more trip to make this week, but it should be far less dangerous. I'll go back to town first to reassure her fears. The errand can probably wait until at least tomorrow."

She let her light tone slide away. "There is a great deal to talk about. Some you must have heard from Mr. Shaw about our latest run-in with the Cowboys. But there is a great deal more and it will probably take some time. I'd like to hear what you've been up to. And where did all these beautiful horses come from? They are not ours, so I assume we are taking care of them for someone?"

He replies, "Spoils of war, just like the ones you brought in. These didn't come from the Cowboy Gang though. Some French wizards brought them in from the Sahara desert. The mares were with the French Foreign Legion and the stallions belonged to some Arab allies of theirs. Only one Legionnaire survived the battle and he has chosen to remain here, so that shouldn't be an issue. A half-dozen Arabs did manage to escape but they rode off in the direction of Mexico so I doubt we'll see them here again.

So these new mounts belong to Arcade's Gang. Morgana suggested that they be left here at Sonoma's Ranch. She is hoping that in lieu of boarding fees you might be able to work out an arrangement to use the Arabian stallions for stud purposes, as their offspring would be of excellent stock."

Kate answers, "Oh yes, I believe that can be arranged. I had not dreamed to have such horses to begin with. The value in the future will be far greater than any boarding fees we could have charged. Now, let me take a look at your mare here." Kate began to look carefully over the animal. "She seems fit as far as I can see. In a little while I can run her through her paces, see how her training is. But my first instinct is that she's a worthwhile girl."

Kate paused and looked at her teacher. "I wish you didn't have to go away again. But I suppose what must be, must be.” He replies, "This should be the last trip for a while, and it is only a short errand, a few hours at the most. We need to speak to a businessman down in a city down in Mexico. Once that's done I plan to stay put in Promise City. Honest.

Kate says, “There is a great deal I wish to tell you. Could we go for a little walk?" He answers, "Yes my dear, I would like to hear what you have been up to." Kate took her teacher's arm and walked with him away from the busy part of the ranch. "Some of this you already know," she began and then launched into the same story she had told Dorita the night before, leaving out nothing.

"Ringo has started his war, and it seems Morgan Earp is the first casualty. I don't know what to feel about that. We cannot stay out of it. We killed a great many Cowboys getting Nanuet and Chester back, I'm sure Ringo will consider that a choosing of sides. Jake and Ruby have gone off to Tombstone to see what they can find out.”

Kate pauses and says, “I would like your permission to show Ginnie your rooms. It is too soon, I know, but I may need to hide her in them." He replies, "Oh I quite agree." And with a grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye he says, "It may be too soon for you but probably not for her." Kate answers, "I can barely keep up with her as it is. We'll have to keep a sharp eye on her."

She was quiet for a moment but it was obvious she wasn't finished speaking. "The night we got back, Storm Golden Eye spoke to me, and she brought Tom." Kate's eyes shone. "If I tell you something, will you promise me to keep it between us?" He says, "Of course I will keep your confidence, I'm surprised you would even ask."

"Well, it's the kind of confidence that some might think they were doing better by me to tell others." She paused. "Depending on what you believe about gods you may just think I'm crazy.
When Storm brought Tom, he was like she has been sometimes. Solid. I could touch him, feel him... and we took advantage of that," she said blushing. "His spirit was held here by those who wouldn't let him go, the last being Morgan Earp. We were together until the moment Morgan died, and then he was gone. Storm has taken him to a place of her people.

I'm sorry, I'm babbling. I spoke with Storm again... after. She told me that more had happened than just a way to say good-bye. A gift from the gods. I'll need your help. I can't avoid the danger we're already in, and I need you to help me protect Tom's son."

Gonzales remains quite while Kate speaks but his face take on a number of different expressions. "Tom's son....hmmm. Not many people would believe that story but in my eight centuries on this planet I've learned that stranger things have happened. The gods and the spirits can do many things. Within the last two weeks a massive island with an ancient city rose to the surface of the ocean and with my assistance is now back deep beneath the waves, and that too was done through the assistance of the gods.

Actually the protection of a child can be easily accomplished, I in fact have magic item that will accomplish just that, namely the magical rings that you've seen Angelica and Pepita wearing around the Cantina. Given their occupations there is always the possibility that they could find themselves with child so we have let them borrow the rings. It was very helpful during both of Angelica's pregnancies.

But my little birds take priority over friends of my little birds, and Sonoma knows a spell that will prevent pregnancies from occurring, so that would be a non-issue. Of course, asking one of them for the ring back and them then seeing it on you, well, they and a few others around the Cantina would be able to figure our why. But we can ask them to keep that knowledge to themselves."

Kate replies, “I had hoped to keep it to myself for a little while, it's a rather pleasant secret to have, but safety has to be my first concern. I'm not quite sure I even believe it yet. Once I feel different, perhaps then it will truly sink in. I suppose the townsfolk will come up with their own explanations for how this happened. Don't worry, I never planned to try to get them to believe this child is Tom's. I only hope to convince my friends. I suppose Dorita is one of the people in the Cantina who knows what the rings do?"

He smiles and says "Of course, one of them was her's. But she also has a special knack of recognizing a maternal glow, usually long before the woman herself knows that she is expecting, so I doubt this will come as any surprise to her." "It's only been a day and a half! I doubt she knows quite yet. She didn't mention it to me last night." Kate sighed. "She's going to boss me around terribly, isn't she?" He smiles and asks, "Was that a rhetorical question?"

Kate then asks, "Will she be able to believe me, or will she be trying to find out who fathered this baby?" He replies, "Oh, I'm sure that she'll believe that Conrad Booth is the father, but if you tell her otherwise I'm sure that she will humor you and pretend to go along with whatever you tell her."

Kate stumbled to a stop. "Conrad! I hadn't even... She's not the only one that will think so, either. But he'll know he's not. There has been nothing between us, but I know he hopes and I have told him that I'm not ready. He'll believe I lied to him. He'll be so hurt, and if he won't believe the truth there will be nothing I can do to ease it."

"Pretend to go along with whatever I tell her?" He replies, "Yes, she's good about things like that." Kate nodded. "We should go back, I suppose. Dorita is a worry for this evening, and Conrad....The Cowboys are the immediate worry. For now we are going to gather what information we can. Can you think of anything else we can do?"

He replies, "At the moment, no. In the meanwhile, I believe that I should talk to that Minerva, and out here is a private enough place for a conversation. She hasn't met me as myself yet and she won't be meeting Tex again, yet he did make her a promise that I'd like to follow though on. Does she know that you and Ruby's use of wizard magics?"

Kate replies, "Yes. Over the last few days it was necessary, and she remembers persecution well enough not to wish it on others. She may also know who our teacher is." Kate met his eyes. "I'm sorry, I was careful not to mention your name, but the others asked if you could help more than once and she is clever."

He says, "Just as well, she'll have to find out eventually if I ever hope to....well...never mind. There's enough to worry about right now with the Cowboy Gang. To save time why don't you just introduce me to her as your teacher and the truth behind our previous meeting."

Nanuet turns to Minerva. "Why don't you spend some time with Kate, I would like to help the men here with their work." Turning to Mr. Shaw, "That is if they could use another pair of hands. It's the least I could do to show my appreciation for your help." Shaw replies, "Your help would be appreciated." He brings Nanuet over to the men and says "You've already met Calvin Hardy, Raphael Garcia and Jeff Hummel. The other two here are Jim Crawland and Billy Black Crow, this is Nanuet." Black Crow appears to be of Apache descent.

Nanuet walks over to each of the men offering to shake each of their hands. He wastes no time getting to work helping the men with the fence and any other work they have.

Kate squeezed his arm and led him back toward the buzz of activity. Nanuet was helping the men from Shaw's ranch and Miss Florencia was standing outside one of the horse corrals, peering inside. When she looked over her shoulder Kate waved her over.

They were still quite far from the others when Minerva reached them. "Miss Florencia, may I introduce my teacher, Mr. Manuel Gonzales? Professeur aimé, Miss Minerva Florencia. Miss Florencia, you've met my teacher once before. In fact, you'd met me before Ruby introduced you to Katherine Kale. Do you remember a Miss Madeline Anders and her companion Tex?"

"Buenas dias, Senor," the priestess says with a slight curtsy. "You are Senora Kale's professor?" Minvera wears a very pleasant and polite smile but her eyes show a certain suspicion. "Si Senora, I remember meeting them. They were very warm and gracious towards me." Kate says, "It wasn't safe for Katherine to be out that night, so my teacher gave me another identity. May I also introduce you to Tex again?"

Minerva turns to Senor Gonzales the polite smile still pasted on her face. "These damned wizards are popping up all over the place. she thinks. Ah, Well, hmmm. she shakes his hand but there is no warmth in it. She is unable to hide the slightly sarcastic anger in her words "Would it not have been simpler to just spend a pleasant evening embroidering, Katherine?" She replies, "I don't embroider. If I had stayed in that night I would have driven myself crazy with worry."

Kate consciously forced her body to relax. "I'll leave you to your business, Professeur aimé. I have work to do." With that Kate walked quickly back toward the horse corrals. I almost forgot what that woman is, she berated herself as she went to find her teachers new horse and put it through it's paces.

Minerva looks the professor up and down. "I seem to recall that Tex made the church quite a generous offer that evening. Does he intend to abide by it or was that also part of your deception?" Take a little aback by the polite rebuke he pauses. Then attempting a smiles says "Many apologies, I had not meant to deceive you dear woman. That particular evening Katherine was in need of both company and a night off from her regular responsibilities, so the change of appearance seemed to be in order. 'Tex' had every intention of making a return but the particular piece of magic that created him no longer functions that way.

However, I have done as I said I would. I have found some very interesting objects for your church. There are currently right here on this ranch, in Sonoma's house, if you would like to take a look at them now."

When she hears the sincerity in his apology, Minerva's smile warms several degrees. "I accept your apology Senor." She says with a slight curtsey. "Forgive my abruptness also. I do not care overly for deception no matter how innocent the intent may be but it is reassuring that you are a man of your word and are willing to make good on Tex's offer. Please lead the way." she says and lightly places her arm though his.

Ginnie comes running up to Kate at breakneck speed. "Ma'am Kate Ma'am Kate We have a gold mine right here on the ranch so far I've been able to identify six different plants that can be used for things we need and one of them makes candy too!" "I'd say the candy is the most important part!" Kate smiled. "When we move here you're going to have to teach me to make some. Why don't you show me these plants?" Kate said, shooing the horse back into the corral and carefully latching the gate. Some time with Ginnie should brighten her mood again.

Ginnie pulls Kate over to a plant that to her looks like every other cactus she has seen since she moved to the west. “This may be the most important one we have on the ranch that I know for sure right now! It's called a barrel cactus the pulp makes the candy but it also has magical uses too. The sharp hooked spikes can be used in spells that make people or things stay put and pieces can be dried and ground for spells that have things to do with directions because the cactus always leans south when it grows. I've started to collect the fallen spikes and have them in this labeled jar but be careful because they are very sharp. There was more about the spikes being used in spells that required sharp things but I'm not fully comfortable with my translation yet to be sure. I also want to be careful of how I gather this stuff because I don't want to destroy the plant but at the same time I need to make sure that the pieces have the full potency. But I have all my notes in this notebook but you may not be able to read it because I put it in code just in case.”

"I'm glad you want to take so much care with this, Ginnie. And right now you know much better than I do. I've been thinking of putting up a small building here for this kind of work. My studies in chemistry and the little bit of medial knowledge I have should explain it being here. Chemistry makes smoke and sometimes explosions. You don't do it in the house." Kate paused for a moment. "We're rich girls, you know that Ginnie? A house here, a house in town, all the books we could want and the time to study them, and lots and lots of friends."

Nanuet continues working with Shaw's men making sure to learn as much as he can when they work on something he doesn't know how to do. He seems to get along well with the others and they sing songs to help pass the time.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 117, "The Grand Hotel", Monday March 20th, 1882, 2:30 P.M.

After the stage gets to the office and Jake collects the luggage he says to Ruby, "Where do you want to stay? I don't know which is the best place in town, but before I suggest we just get the best room in town maybe you want to find out where Eastman is staying. That might help you decide where you want to stay, or not stay."

Ruby gets off the stage and stretches her arms over her head. "Ugh, I hate those bumpy rides." She rubs her neck, "I need a massage!" She looks over to Jake, burdened with bags. "Here let me take one," she says reaching for her bag. "Why would where Mr. Eastman is staying make a difference where we stay? I think the Grand is the nicest, let's stay there. I want a tub in our room so I can't take a nice long bath in peace." "Why indeed." Jake mutters. "The Grand it is then."

Ruby sighs in return. "Would you like me to go to every hotel in Tombstone to find out where Mr. Eastman is staying right now so your vacation isn't ruined by you having to see him, Jake?" "No," Jake responds in a monotone, "but thanks for the sincere offer. Look there is the Grand."

Ruby gives Jake a sideways glance as they walk. "It WAS a sincere offer. Maybe you don't understand that I need to relax on this trip. This has been a really tough week for us and I want us both to have a pleasurable time. It's really important to me, I think you know important. I didn't come here to to do business." Ruby pauses considering her words. "And if you seeing George Eastman staying where we are staying is going to bother you, well, I don't care of we stay in a box as long as we're together." They stop outside the doors of the Grand Hotel.

"Sorry, but it didn't sound sincere. If you say it was I accept that." Jake looks her in the eye. "No, you didn't come here just to relax. Who are you trying to convince? I do believe that you need to get away, forget about Promise City for a bit and to have fun. We will. At least, I'll try my best to give you the chance."

"I was sincere and suggested you might want to know where George was staying before deciding where to stay or not stay. You told me you have some personal business with George," Jake clears his throat, "and Helen. Since I don't know what exactly you have in mind, and I don't need to know," he nods his head, "how is it I could judge whether being in the same hotel or not was a good idea? If it is a surprise to you that I don't like Eastman or would rather not see him, then you haven't been paying attention. I did tell you that I wouldn't hinder you from whatever you planned and I am good to my word." Looking slightly annoyed he glances up and down the street. "Shall we check into the Grand?"

Ruby purses her lips together, trying to keep a barrage of come backs from flying out. She tightens her grip on her bag and starts walking into the Grand. As she walks, without turning back to face him Ruby calls out, "I'm going to pretend like you are grumpy from the long, hot, dirty stagecoach ride we just took." She walks half way to the counter, then stops and waits for Jake.

Jake walks casually past Ruby towards the counter and says softly in a light hearted tone, "I know you are a better actress than that." He puts the bags down and says to the person there, "I'd like the best room you have available for two nights. Can we arrange a hot bath in that room immediately? The young lady is positively suffering from the torturous stagecoach ride."

Ruby narrows her eyes at Jake as he walks away but the thought of getting her bath immediately eases some of the tension. She walks up next to Jake at the counter and adds, "And can you arrange for two horses and a picnic lunch for late tomorrow morning please?"

Jake puts some change on the counter. "Could you send a boy to let Deputy Marshall Williams know I am staying here, he is expecting me. Also, have the boy let Misters Fly and Cassidy over at Fly's boarding house know I am here. Could you tell me what time the first train from Tuscon arrives tomorrow? I am expecting someone on it." He replies, "There's a freight train that gets in between 11:30 and noon. Passenger train doesn't get in until around 4:00 P.M."

Ruby raises her eyesbrows and mutters under her breath, "That's the whole damn day. So much for my picnic..." Continuing in a louder voice with a bit of edge, "Could you tell us where the room is please?" He replies, "Number 21. Top of the staircase and to the left, first door on the left. I'll get somebody to bring up your bags." "Thank you." Ruby starts walking away then stops, "Oh and the bath..." The clerk nods and heads upstairs to # 21.

As they walk to the stairs they look around. Downstairs has a parlor and the walls are adorned with rare and costly oil paintings. The furniture is of walnut with rich cushions of silk and a piano is in the far corner. The adjacent dining room is of the same good taste, with three chandeliers, handsome centerpieces on each rich walnut table, and place settings of cut glass, china, and fine silverware of the latest style in cutlery.

There is a wide and handsome staircase covered by an elegant carpet and supporting a heavy black walnut banister. Upstairs they see a main hallway leading to several rooms.
Ruby walks slowly, taking her time admiring the hotel. She finds #21 and opens the door, knowing the room will be just as nice.

As Ruby heads up the stairs, Jake just stands there and says, "Mierda." He takes a deep breath before quietly saying to the man, "Apparently my lady friend will need some extra care for this stay." Jake tries a smile and puts a five dollar bill in the man's pocket. "That is for you. Do what you can. We'll still be wanting thoses horses and lunch for tomorrow. Have someone find us a bottle of Kentucky bourbon and several bunches of red flowers. The flowers can wait until after dinner, I'm afraid I need the bourbon as soon as you can. Thank you." Jake follows Ruby up the stairs.

Jake and Ruby enter the room and it's the same luxury as the rest of the hotel. Ruby drops her jacket and hat to the floor and plops down on the huge fluffly bed, pushing her shoes off as she does. She arches her back and stretches trying to release all the stress that has been building up the past week. She closes her eyes, her breathing measured. She lets out a huge breath, "Where is that bath?" She turns her head and looks at Jake. "You know what I want more than a bath right now?" Jake pushes his hat back on his head while Ruby stares at him from the bed, "A kiss."

Jake deposits his pack of weapons on the floor and walks over towards the bed. "Damn, I asked for the clerk for a bunch of stuff to be sent up but I didn't ask for one of those. I thought I had remembered everything." He talks off his hat, scratches his head and looks perplexed. Dropping his hat, he lunges down and pulls Ruby up by the arms and gives her a kiss, interrupted only a couple of times by laughing.

Ruby wraps her arms around Jake's neck and continues their kiss. She pulls off Jake's duster and throws it on the edge of the bed. She is still laughing but her laughter slowly fades away and she touches their noses together, just staring at Jake. She finally says, "No more fighting Jake, promise me please?"

He replies, "Fighting? What fighting? Woman, when Jake and Ruby start fighting people will clear the streets. Instead of worrying about fighting start thinking about amusement. I'll find out about the show you want to see. We can plan dinner, maybe the show tonight and cap it off at the Silver Dollar afterwards if we still have time."

"Oh when are you going to do all that, find out about the show I mean? And why wouldn't we have time? We're in Tombstone, we can stay up all night playing cards if you want." Ruby pauses for a moment, "And I want you to keep me company while I take a bath." She pauses again, "I guess you don't have to, it might be better to get the show taken care of." He states, "We can just send someone to arrange seating for us and tell us the time, we are having a holiday aren't we?" "Yes we are," Ruby says slowly with a extra wide smile, "Send the boy who comes to draw the bath. That way you won't even have to leave the room and can spend the extra time kissing me! "

Jake happily obliges Ruby until the boy shows up. He draws the bath and Jake asks him to find out what time the show is and to inquire about getting a box or some seats for tonights show. The boy fills the tub with bubbles which delights Ruby, and he winks to Jake on his way out. The door isn't even shut before Ruby is throwing off her clothes and climbing in with a satisified "Aahhhhh...."

Ruby washes, happily taking her sweet time enjoying the hot water and bubbles. Then she leans back to soak but can't seem to get comfortable. "Do you want to join me or are you busy?" she asks, already knowing the answer. "Busy?" Jake snorts. He pulls a chair over near the tub and hangs his clothes and gunbelts on it. Coincidentally, his guns are in reach of the tub. The tub not being very large, it takes a few moments, movements, giggles and laughs to get both of them settled inside.

Ruby very contentedly snuggles up to Jake, the feeling of his breathing and warm body on hers reassures and relaxes her. They rest like that for a while before Ruby breaks the silence. “Baby… we need to...” Ruby pauses not wanting to continue, “...Talk,” she says hesitantly, “About George Eastman.” She feels Jake tense up immediately so she turns to face him. “Listen, I know you are…I know you don’t want to talk about him. But you have to understand something.” Ruby sighs, “I know you care about me. Aren’t there many things you would do for me?”

"If I need to understand something, explain it to me." He says rather sternly. "Do you think that I don't like Eastman becauses he offends my delicate sensibilities? Arrrrrghh." He takes a sharp breath and let's it out long and slow with a sigh. "I'm listening."

Ruby blinks at Jake's cold response but composes herself before continuing. "You didn't answer my question, but we both know the answer. There are many thing you would do and have done for me. That is all George was doing."

Ruby sighs softly, “George was one of the only people nice to me when I was young. And the truth is, he always was in love with me. I believe he truly loves that girl, the one from our youth, but I’m not that girl anymore, he just doesn’t realize, I was NEVER that girl. He never really knew me, I didn’t let him. Maybe if I did things would have been different for me…” Her voice trails off and she looks away.

“I can understand you being nervous about him,” she looks back at Jake staring him in the eyes, “But you don’t need to be. Even though you don’t feel the same way for me,” she clutches his face with her hands, bubbles dripping off her arms, “I LOVE you, I can’t help myself. I’m crazy about YOU and you don’t need to worry about me running off with George or anyone else for that matter.”

Jake stands up and steps out of the tub. He begins dressing without drying himself. "Did I tell you I believed you before? That you wanted to stay with me and not leave with George. I did. I told you that. I believed you. What is so hard about that? You want me to say it? You want to hear it out loud? OK. I'm jealous. I'm afraid to lose you. I'm scared you are trying to convince yourself, because the only other person in the room believed you. I wasn't even suspicious when we chased Eastman here to Tombstone."

He ties up his pants without even slowing down in his tirade. "Blasted George is just like me, just trying to do things for you? Hermes! Well Jake Cook didn't try and make a backroom deal. He didn't make an offer to buy you for cash like a whore or some slave, without your say in the matter. Jake Cook wants you to be with him, but more important he wants you to be happy. Jake Cook let you choose because he cares what you want, cause he believes you can make your own choices. Jake Cook won't keep you if you don't want to be kept."

"So George was nice to you. Terrific, send him a thank you card. Bake him a bloody cake! Maybe things could have been different? Things can be different if you want them too. You are smart, talented and beautiful and can have anything you want. Anybody you want for that matter."

Jake finishes buttoning his shirt untucked over his pants. "Where is that blasted clerk with the bloody bourbon." Her turns and looks at Ruby, "I am crazy about you, make no mistake. It's just too crowded in that tub right now with the three of us there. I need a drink." He slings his favored Colt gunbelt over his shoulder and walks to the door. "I'll be downstairs at the bar waiting for when it's just you and me again. I will believe you, just be damn sure you do too." Jake slams the door on his way out.

Ruby blinks in shock at Jake’ reaction to what she said. “Didn’t I say I loved him?” she says loud out, the shock wearing off, the anger setting in, “And THAT is the reaction I get? Telling him I love him isn't enough enough anymore? What the hell is wrong with that boy??” Furious, Ruby climbs out of the tub and without drying off grabs the nearest towel and stomps down the stairs, leaving bubbles as she goes.

She finds her way to the bar, ignoring the glances from the other patrons. Jake is sitting there, seething. She walks up to him holding her towel with one hand and grabs him roughly by the face with the other, turning him to face her. “And I was going to say before you stomped off, that if I don’t return his ring it will always be between you and I, don’t you understand? So I have to see him and finish this, for us. That is, if there still IS an US as one of US is acting like a damn child and what is that particular person going to do every time this happens, because in my experience it happens a lot. So unless that person is prepared to get married so by law he can shoot every person who looks in the other person’s direction… we have a problem.” Ruby turns and starts stomping off.

"I didn't start name calling," Jake says forcing his voice to stay calm, "I didn't put something between us, I didn't spoil a private moment by talking about how wonderful someone else is, and bartender I DIDN'T get that whiskey yet." The bartender very quickly hands him the whiskey.

Jake take the whiskey and continues, "I also don't quite understand what in your experience happens a lot? Ruining romantic moments by talking about how nice other men are? Or should I be expecting a large number of ring bearing men to show up that I can be judged against? I don't even know WHAT in Hades you are on about now, we weren't even talking about how men look at you or that blasted ring!"

Ruby takes a few deep breaths. She had stopped stomping when Jake started speaking but she didn’t turn to face him. Her hands are shaking and she clutches at the towel tightly so it wouldn’t show. “Then I guess I owe you an apology then, for ruining your romantic moment and putting something between us, and for having someone who would want me to marry him,” she says softly. Her anger was quickly tuning into hurt feelings and she knew how bad she was at dealing with that so she starts walking away again without another word.

Jake turns to the bartender and in response to the whiskey says, "Thanks. I really need that." Jake is quiet for a bit after Ruby goes back to the room. He motions the bartender over again, "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to growl at you." He waves his hand over his glass. "Fill it up again." Silver Jake Cook sighs a heavy sigh, "That woman makes me crazy some days. I'm usually a patient man." Jake laughs at himself, "No that's not true. It is true that she can spin me around like nobody I have ever met."

Ruby stoped at the main desk on her way back up the stairs, the poor clerk looking frightened. “Can you please tell me if Mr. George Eastman is staying here?” Ruby asks. “Um..I’m, um…” he stammers, “Not supposed to…” His voice trails off seeing Ruby’s glare. “14, He’s staying in room 14.” Ruby doesn’t bother to thank him, she just walks back upstairs to her room.

Ruby is upset and confused as she pulls on her black bathrobe. It is sheer and frilly, not usually something she would wear but it was to have been a surprise for Jake. She takes out a fresh dress and lays it carefully on the bed. Next she throws the few items she had taken out back into her bag. Every feeling in her was telling her to run away, and as hard as she was trying to fight it, she wasn’t winning.

She sits at the vanity, picks up a brush and starts mindlessly brushing her hair. She focuses on herself in the mirror and she notices a few tears stream down her cheeks. “This is what you get for trying to care about someone,” she says out loud to herself, shaking her wet head, “Only heartache and hurt. And it’s ALWAYS your own fault. And,” she gulps and forces out the last words, “He will never understand and he will never love you like you love him. He will never love you at all because you are a stupid, foolish girl.” Ruby heart is beating fast with her realization and she momentarily braces herself on the vanity looking closer at herself in the mirror before going back to mindlessly brushing her hair.

After her hair has been more than sufficiently brushed 5 times over Ruby rises from the vanity and she puts her dress on in a daze. She doesn't pay much attention to herself, she is lost in her thoughts. She makes sure her bag is packed up and ready to go. She pushes the black velvet box into her pocket and, forgetting her shoes she wanders down to room #14. She wipes some tears off her face then knocks softly. "George?"

Meanwhile, downstairs, Jake soon drains the second glass of whiskey in one shot. "What's the name of the best restaurant in town? Our little fights can be fierce, but making up is worth it." That familiar twinkle starts to return to Jake's eye.

The bartender says, "The best restaurant in town is the one right here, and I'm not just saying that because I'm an employee, ask anybody in town and they'll tell you the same. But after this place I'd suggest Gregory's over on Fremont Street." As he suggests that Jake remembers dining there once before with Ruby two months earlier.

"Well my good man since you are so bold as to recommend this fine establishment I will trust you. That works out just fine. Please let the chef know the Cook party of two will be dining here tonight before the show. Have him select the menu, and make it memorable."

Jake stops in to see the desk clerk and asks for the best tickets he can acquire for the show tonight. "Let me know what the start time is, and have the chef let us know what time to be down for his special dinner." Jake starts to walk away but turns back and asks, "Oh, and did you manage to find any Kentucky Bourbon?" He replies, "Yes sir, but it wasn't easy to acquire. The liqour distributor only had one bottle left and he was saving it special for one of the Wells Fargo Stagecoach drivers. I had to tip him an extra dollar above the selling price to obtain it for you." Laughing hard Jake replies, "I bet I just outbid myself for that bottle. Put it on my bill."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 118, “Ranch Chats”, Monday, March 20th, 1882, 1:00 P.M.

In response to Kate’s comment about all of their new activities Ginnie says, “Yeah, and we'll do great providing we don't get shot at too often by the Cowboy Gang or anyone else that gets mad at us…….Um if I'm doing all this studying do I have to learn how to ride and muck out stalls?”

Kate laughed. "Unfortunately yes. It will be a long time before you learn to travel by other means, and sometimes those other means just aren't possible. You've seen what's needed. You can't take a brazier with you everywhere you go. I'm not asking you to be a champion rider. Once you're proficient you can stop riding lessons. Mucking stalls is just one of those chores that needs doing, so we'll all be doing it."

Kate hears Ginnie mutter to herself "I need to find a way to always pack a brazier." She looks up and says to Kate, “Well right now I'm just planning on gathering components and keeping my notes until I can be more sure about how magic works. I think we need a dependable inventory before we start to rely on it. Can I have a shelve in the kitchen for the things I'm working on until we get a building up and ready to go?”

Kate answers, "Of course. As long as you don't mind if I accidentally cook with them. I wonder if Dorita will still teach me after I missed our first lesson? Alright, why don't you show me what we're looking for and I'll help."

Ginnie responds, “I think I'd better keep my stuff in my room. Most of the things in the bottles I have now at best will give you a really bad belly ache. Maybe I need to make sure that we stock up the pantry with stuff from Dorita. I don't want to spend my entire life out here eating cactus and tea because you don't know how to cook anything else. How are you at boiling eggs? And how can you know chemistry and not be able to make yourself supper?” Kate answers, "I just never needed to cook, it's always been done for me. And chemistry doesn't need to taste good. I'm sure I can do it, I just need to learn. It can't be that different."

Kate spent some time with Ginnie looking for the components, and once she was sure Ginnie was staying in full sight of everyone she went back to the horse corrals. She then got started with checking the training of the Cowboy Gang horses they had gotten in their latest confrontation.

After working up a good sweat Nanuet decided that it was a good time for a break. He makes his way to the house looking for a drink. He finds the well but is too dirty to drink from his hands so he heads inside the Adobe home that is now there. He finds some clay mugs and grabs one. As he turns back around he sees Sonoma standing there quietly. "Hi Sonoma. Impressive work you have done here. I was just going to get a drink from the well, would you like some water?"

Sonoma replies, “Nanuet I'm fine I have missed you but have kept busy here. There is much that needs to be done if we are to make this a profitable venture however I believe that the ranch will become very successful especially if the recent events are as good as they seem to be on the surface.”

He answers, “I am glad you have kept busy, but I was never worried about that. You seem to always have so many things to do. You have done such a wonderful job with things here on the ranch. Dorita must be very proud of you.” She says, “My mother doesn't really understand why I don't want to just take over the cantina. She would be much happier if I stopped all of the magic and druid studies and just waited tables and cooked. But we have started something here for us.”
With that she steps over to Nanuet runs a damp cloth over his forehead and gives him a very passionate kiss.

A wave of confusion comes over Nanuet. He stumbles backwards, shocked by the advance from Sonoma. He gently pushes her back, standing there jaw gaping. "I uh... I guess absences make the heart grow fonder?" the elf stammers. "I mean I am not sure what to think right now."

She says, “What do you mean? I build a house that we share. We bought shares in the ranch and I have been doing my best to make our investments profitable. You told me to do what I needed to do to make this ranch work for us so that is what I have been trying to do. Did I forget to include so something that you thought we would need?”

He replies, “No, no... you have done everything here to make this a wonderful place. But we don't share the house, I am never here. You have turned yourself so much into your work, you seemed to have no time for us. You have just been spending all your time working, I... well Sonoma, you ignored me and my needs until now."

She states, “You asked me to take care of the ranch so I did. It has not been a very long time you knew where I was and what I was doing. You have been spending your time with your friends as you wished to. I assumed if you needed something else you knew where I was.”

He replies, "You chose to take care of the ranch, I never assigned that duty to you. I am very grateful that you took that burden upon yourself and I am awed at what you have accomplished. But when we were here together, you seemed to have no romantic feelings towards me. I took no offense and decided to spend my time in town with our friends. I am very confused Sonoma. I did not think you cared for me." Her eyes widen.

Nanuet waits for Sonoma to reply but she stands, speechless. Nanuet continues speaking.
"I hungered for companionship and romance. I thought I overstepped my bounds and you were not interested. That you were just being a good friend. Even that you felt sorry for me. I don't really feel what I thought was growing between us. I can't be what you want me to be. "

Nanuet again waits for a response from Sonoma, but finds none forthcoming. "I'm sorry Sonoma, I hope we can still be friends." With that he turns and leaves the house. He says to himself, “What is that word that Jake says all the time? Oh yes, Meirda!”

Across the field, Gonzales escorts Minerva to Sonoma's building. Just inside is a canvas tarp covering over something. He approaches it and removes the tarp. Minerva sees before her a pair of three-foot high Ceramic Urns with one with a depiction of Jupiter the other of Minerva.

He says, "These are originals, made approximately 1,500 years ago near the end of the Roman Empire. They had been ferried away from Italy just prior to the invasion of the Germanic hoards that ravaged western civilization. Their journey to America began over a century ago and they eventually found their way to southern California to what is now Los Angeles. They have been generously donated to your church by James Toberman, the previous Los Angeles Mayor, who I had the privilege of being the house guest of earlier this year."

"Oh my gods! Oh, my gods!", Minerva repeats over and over, overwhelmed by the spectacular gift. She rushes forward and bending down caresses the statues as she examines them. She turns tear filled eyes to Senor Gonzalas "They are sooo beautiful!" She quickly stands and embraces him in her excitement. "Gracias Senor." she says kissing him on both cheeks. "The gods shall surly repay such generosity"

She is quiet for a few moments thinking about the Vigilance Committee and the possibility that they might try and take the precious icons from her and says, " Perhaps we should leave them hidden here for now. They are so valuable. It would not be wise to let others know of their existence just yet."

He states, "Why yes, I quite agree. Until the church is permanently constructed they should remain in safe keeping. Fear not, I have a special place to keep them for the time being where they will come to no harm.” He smiles and says, "And about the previous misunderstanding, at no point did I mean to deceive you. In fact, if you ask Katherine she will confirm that night nine days ago I specifically mentioned to her that I did not wish to meet you as Tex but at a later date as myself. It was Ruby who pulled you over to the table and made the introductions. You have probably noticed by now that once Ruby decides to do something there is no stopping her."

Minerva laughs heartily "She certainly is an exceptional young woman isn't she? She reminds me of the wild horses that roam the plains So unpredictable and spirited. I've grown very fond of her in such a short time." Gonzales replies, "As have I, although I do worry about her. I'm not altogether sure about her taste in men. I fear that her friend Jake will one day be the death of her."

Minerva replies, "He has many qualities which could be considered flaws by some but he has proven himself to be a loyal and caring man. I know that Senor Jake cares deeply for Senorita Ruby and would lay his life down to save hers. I have seen it." She says in rebuke. "It is not for us to question the workings of Venus, Senor."

"I have been thinking on this generous gift" she says motioning to the statues. "Why would you bestow such priceless items to me at this time? You do not even know me." She looks at him directly. "I feel that you have something more to reveal. You know that I do not care for deception. Please tell me what it is that you desire in return."

He looks at her and says, "The gods do indeed grant you great wisdom. While I rely on wizard magics I too have great belief in the deities, and unlike most who focus upon their own specific religions and deny the existence of other gods, I believe that multiple pantheons exist. I believe in your gods, Nanuet's gods, and the gods worshipped by my race." She replies, “As do I Senor. I am pleased to hear it for I have not met a wizard yet who acknowledged anything but his own magic and was beginning to lose hope." she says giving no further explanation.

He pauses and then says, "Well, I suppose that I could just tell you that I find you physically attractive and have a strong desire for a relationship...that would be true. You no doubt have that effect on many men. However, the full truth is that for decades I have been seeking a solution to a particular problem and feel that the gods have sent you here as that solution.” Minerva shook her hair back and laughed at his flirtatious remark. As he continues the smile drains from her face.

"It seems that the gods have a great number of plans for me since my arrival in Promise City, but whether or not they have sent me here to assist you remains to be seen." He replies, "I would never begin to presume the will of the gods, my assumption is based only on the fact that your life and that of my apprentices now appears to be linked."

He continues, “But now is not the time to discuss the specifics of that, I have waited decades and waiting a little should not matter. Right now we should focus on helping to protect our friends from this Cowboy Gang.” She cocks her head in an exaggerated flirtatious manner, gives him a quizzical look and says in a lazy, sultry voice "You certainly do know how to catch a girl's attention Senor,...what could possibly wait decades and yet be so urgent? Such a riddle must not go unanswered, for my weakness lies in my curious nature." Her smile warms slightly "when we have dealt with this gang of cowboys I would be willing to hear your story."

He replies, “Thank you. It is a deeply personal story, and not one that I have any desire to repeat. In fact, so far I have only shared it with one of my four apprentices." He asks, “To that end may I ask, in which languages are you proficient?" She answers, "I can understand a few words of the western languages which are similar to my own native tongue and my English is passable but I do not speak any other language as yet.

Minerva shakes his hand, "Senor Gonzales, before I take my leave I would like to thank you once again for your fine and generous gift. I will assume that it was a gift freely given to the gods, whether or not I choose to help you in your mysterious task.” He replies, "Absolutely. A gift is always just that. You do not know me yet but you will find that I am an honorable man who always keeps his promises."

She says, “It is getting late and I believe that I have a horse to choose from among these fine animals before we head back to town. Gracias Senor. Adios" She turns on her heel and with swaying hips goes in search of Katherine.

Kate was again working with her mentor's horse when she saw Minerva come out of Sonoma's house. She signaled the animal and began leading it back to the corral. When the other woman approached Kate put on her most professional tone. "If you're ready, I'll show you the horses I'd recommend." She led Minerva over to one of the corrals.

"I've had these horses here for several months, so I've had some time to work with them. Some of the newer horses and better stock, but I haven't had much time with them. Feel free to take a look and see what you'd like."

Nanuet eaves the house. He sees Kate and Minerva looking over some horses and makes his way over. "Howdy ladies, how are things going so far? Don't suppose you have a good one for me since mine kinda got shot up on my little expedition to Tombstone?" he says to Kate, a forced grin on his face.

"Of course," Kate said, her manner warming considerably for Nanuet. She noted but didn't mention the strain on his face. "I have a couple fine geldings that I think might do very well for you. Steady, plenty of endurance, and I've worked with them enough to be certain of their training. This one has a bit of a mischievous streak in him," she said, patting a solid chestnut flank. "His friend there is more serious, but probably not as much fun."

He says, "Steady, plenty of endurance and a hint of mischief, that sounds like a winner to me. Any insight on that Minerva?" Minerva notices Katharine’s stiff spine and sighs to herself. "She is such a temperamental one. He is a beautiful animal." she says nuzzling the horses face. "She looks around the yard and notices a large black stallion trotting around the corral. "Oh! Now that is the spirited young man for me!" she says to Katherine. "Is he one I am able to choose from?"

She replies, "Ah, let me make sure. Ruby had chosen a black stallion herself." Kate looked over the horse Minerva wanted and noticed white patches just above the hooves. The animal Ruby had chosen was pure black. "Ah yes. I know this young man. He is very spirited. If you choose him, I'd suggest you give up riding side-saddle. I suggest it anyway, it's downright dangerous."

Minerva claps her hands together in delight and dashes over to the corral, Surprising the onlookers by lifting her skirts and hopping over the fence in a rather unladylike manner.
She stops once inside the gate and approaches the black stallion slowly while speaking softly to him in Spanish. “No le dañaré. ¿Puedo montarle? Usted es tan hermoso. Tendremos grandes aventuras juntas." <<transplation: “I will not harm you. May I ride you? You are so beautiful. We shall have great adventures together.”>>

The horse calms and stands still as she nears. She continues to speak softly as she examines his teeth, hooves and flanks and legs. Satisfied she She climbs on his back holding him with her legs she whispers in his ear begins to lead him around the ring.

Nanuet continues to look at the mount that Kate recommended. He says to Kate, "Well Miss Kate, I trust your judgment, I am sure this will be a fine mount. Hopefully he can serve me longer than the last one did." Nanuet wanders over and spends a few moments with the gelding that Kate had suggested to him. He is obviously distraught though and his usual abilities to handle animals is compromised by his agitated state. He returns back to the two women. "Well what else do we have left to do out here? I should get back to town soon to keep an eye on the Lucky Lady and see if Chester wants help at the jail again tonight."

Kate says, “I had hoped to spend the day, although I do need to be back by dinnertime. Mr. Gonzales intends to return later and talk to Dorita, so if you and Miss Florencia wanted to head back, I won't be alone. Is everything alright? You're anxious, he can tell," she said lightly, touching the prancing gelding.

He says, “"No, everything is not OK, but the situation is umm..." he glances at Minerva then back to Kate and lowers his voice, "personal. I think it might be best if I leave now. I can call Maska to accompany me if Minerva is enjoying herself. You ladies probably could use some time without a meddling man in your way."

"Miss Florencia and I have no special business, and I for one don't mind a man meddling now and then. But I understand," Kate said, laying her hand on his arm without further comment. "And it is better perhaps if you don't ride back with my mentor." "Mr. Gonzalez? Why, he has always been nice enough to me." Nanuet says trying to goad Kate. Kate met Nanuet's eyes for a long moment before she spoke. "Of course. But even friends are sometimes upset with one another, are they not?" She let out a deep breath. "You're a good man; whatever's troubling you I know you'll do the best you can. Go on home," she said gently.

Minerva says, "No, Senor Nanuet, Luna and I will accompany you. We must be getting back also." She Chuckles "We are to chaperone Senor Chester and his Clarisse this evening. He would be disappointed if we were late. Perhaps you would care to join us in our chaperone duties and we could find time to finish our discussion from last evening. Give me a moment to saddle up my new mount and we can be on our way." Kate says, "I doubt you'll be late, it's barely afternoon. It's a nice afternoon for a ride though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

Nanuet states, Thanks Minerva, I appreciate the company. Perhaps the chaperoning duties is a good idea. I could use some lessons on being civil." he says with a wink, his mood lightening a bit. "But whatever will I wear?" he says with a soft chuckle. Miss Kate, are you sure you and Miss Ginnie will be OK? I do feel bad leaving you here. Is Mr. Gonzalez going to escort you back to town?" Kate says, "I'm sure he will. And if he can't for some reason, there is a ranch full of people here at the moment who could fill in. There's nothing to worry about."

"Nanuet states, Well, that is settled then, as soon as Minerva is ready we'll be off. Thanks for being understanding Miss Kate. I'll see you later tonight, make sure you get home OK, and I have a favor I need to ask you later also. See you then." Nanuet mounts the new gelding that was chosen and waits for Minerva.

Minerva mounts her new steed and rides off with Nanuet. Luna flies on ahead to alert them of anyone on the road. "Gracias, Senor. I do appreciate your willingness to accompany me this evening. Honestly, I don't think that Chester and Clarisse need a chaperone. They will be surrounded by people in the saloon. I'm not sure what I am expected to do if they choose to go off on their own." she smirks. "After all they are adults. I'm not sure that I would be able to prevent a romantic encounter if it came to that. " She chuckles.

Nanuet says, “Chester is an adult yes, Clarisse is still young. I do not understand all the rituals of the human world, but I understand that it may not be appropriate for them to go off alone yet. I may be mistaken but I believe it was the young lady who requested a chaperone, she hardly knows Mr. Chester yet." Kate sighed with relief as the two rode away.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 119, “Magical Bullets”, Monday, March 20th, 1882, 3:00 P.M.

Nanuet spurs his mount on gently trying to keep up with Minerva. "You ride well Senorita!" he says as he gallops up next to her. "Does your new mount meet your expectations?" Nanuet slows his mount to comply with Minerva's adjusted speed. He listens carefully and ponders for a moment before replying.

"Well we have already established that the man you saw in your dreams was an ancestor of mine. That pleases me to no end, my faith has been strengthened enormously by that revelation. All of my beliefs have been confirmed, my ancestors do watch over us! Not all my people believe that the worship of the ancestors is of importance, but that is always the way I have chosen."

"But it puzzles me that he has shown up in your dreams, that I have no understanding of. He obviously wanted you to make a choice, and your choice was between the easy trail and the difficult climb. Nothing about the journey or the destination were revealed, I think that is still to be determined."

She replies, "I have never been summoned through the veil by any other than a god of Olympus before. I am sure that the summons from your ancestor means that we are somehow meant to share the same path. Storm also mentioned that She was no longer needed here since I was now here. I know that I should leave it in the hands of the gods but it is so frustrating when their meaning is not made clear."

She spends the rest of the ride in silence thinking about what it could all possibly mean. When they reach town she thanks Nanuet for the escort and makes arrangements to meet him later for there chaperone duties.

Nanuet heads to the Lucky Lady and checks in to see how things are going and to see if anything needs attending to. Once that is taken care of he gathers together what money he has and heads over to Lacey's General Store. He enters timidly and begins heading towards the counter, then turns away and frantically begins looking for clothes. As soon as he spots some men’s clothing he heads in that direction and begins rifling through the items awkwardly.

Nanuet gathers some items of clothing together and heads to the counter. "Hello Mister Lacey" he says, in a wavering voice, "I uh need to buy some clothes" laying a wad of money on the counter he pushes the clothes a little closer to the storekeeper. Lacey picks up the items of clothing and looks quizzically at Nanuet. "I think we can do better" he says as he holds up the clothes "These will never fit you and would look quite comical as well. Lets see what we can do for you."

Judge Lacey picks out a pair of linen pants, a cotton shirt and a vest as well as a pair of shoes for Nanuet. He helps the elf sort out the money and gives him his change. "So, what is the occasion for the new clothes?"

"I am assisting the new preacher in her chaperone duties tonight, I wanted to look the part. Thanks for your help." Nanuet leaves a dollar on the counter for Judge Lacey and heads back to the Lucky Lady with his new clothing in hand. He washes up and combs out his hair and rebraids it. He fumbles with the simple braid and is unhappy with the results, undoing and redoing the braid several times until he is satisfied. He then bides the time until he is supposed to meet Minerva.

Meanwhile, Minerva fills her bag with an assortment of pleasant smelling toiletries and makes her way over to the bathhouse. Her hair curls around her face as the steam rises from the bath and she sinks lower into the water enjoying the luxury. As she begins to relax she finds her mind wandering back to the previous night and attempts to examine her feelings objectively. Well, there is only one way to be sure" she thinks and steps out of the tub with a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

Across town, Chester walks into the Great Western Boarding House. "Good afternoon. I'm looking for anyone who was here during the shooting." Bill Watkins, the owner, comes to the door. "Greetings, Deputy Martin. I'm Bill Watkins, the owner of the Great Western. How can I help you?" Chester says, "I wanted to find out who shot up the Marshall's office. I heard there were two gunmen. Pony Deal was most likely one of them. Do you have any idea who the other could be?"

Watkins replies, "Afraid not, nobody got a good look at him. We were meeting in here at the time so they must have snuck up the stairs nice and quiet. Managed to get both Earps rooms unlocked. With figure that they were trying to make a statement to the Earps, letting them know that they're not even safe in their own rooms. Terrible shame, all of Wyatt’s things getting burnt up like that, but at the time we could do was get the stuff tossed outside as quickly as possible.” Chester replies, "Yeah, I saw. That was quick work. Good thing someone is getting him back. Shame about his brother, though."

Watkins says, The only possible suspect I could think of was Hank Hill. He used to live here at the Great Western last year so knows his way around the place. Threw in with Arcade's Gang last summer and I kicked him out. He left town with them last November, but yesterday right after the shooting I saw him back in town and standing over the entrance El Parador. He kinda stood out, wearing just his long red underwear with his hat and gun belt. He saw me looking at him and went back into the El Parador afterwards."

Chester repeats, "Hank Hill. I'll find out what he has to say. Thank you, Mr. Watkins." Chester enters the Marshall's office. "Mr. Watkins at the Great Western didn't see anyone enter the Earps' rooms. But he thinks a Hank Hill might have been a part of this. Says he threw in with Arcade's Gang. Do you know anything about him?" Eduardo says, "No, I haven't been here long enough to know the names of too many townspeople. D you know where to find him?" Chester says, "Yeah. He's supposed to be stopping at the El Parador. I'll ask Dorita if she knows him well."

Chester arrives at the El Parador. It is between the lunch and dinner hours and the Cantina is empty on this Monday afternoon except for young Ricardo who is washing down the tables. Hearing the front door open Dorita pops her head out of the kitchen and with a bit of a laugh says "Ah, is Lawman Chester hungry? I make something up for him?"

Chester waves his hands. "No, no, Dorita. I'm fine, thanks. I'm looking into the shooting at the Great Western the other day. I heard that Hank Hill is stopping here. Do you know where I can find him? I want to ask him some questions."

Dorita replies, "He out right now. But he no do shooting yesterday. He and friends out all night Saturday with Mr. Gonzales. They not get back until noon on Sunday when they eat and then go to bed. The shooting wake Mr. Hill up so he come downstairs to see what happening. He then went back to room to sleep. He nice man, only kill outlaws. Now sit, I get you food."

Chester laughs. "OK. OK, Dorita. You don't have to tell me twice. I do need to talk to him myself, though. As far as only killing outlaws, Johnny Ringo fits the bill. If you see Mr. Hill before I do, ask him to come by the Marshall's office. Thanks Dorita." She says, "You don't believe me, Lawman Chester?" He answers, "It's not that. Of course I trust you. But someone almost killed Ruby and Jake trying to get Ringo. And I want to find out who."

She says, "All right, but Mr. Hill won't be happy coming to the Marshall's." He answers, "It's just a friendly talk. Nothing to worry about, since he wasn't involved." Dorita serves Chester a large bowl of chili. "Mmm. This is good." He starts fanning his face. "Umm. It's a bit spicy."

She says, "It's not too spicy. Just right. You need to eat more peppers if you stay around here. Enjoy flavor better." Chester gulps down his glass of water. He gasps, "More water, please?" Once he finishes the chili, Chester visits the gunsmith. Pierre is busy with another customer, so he waits, until the shop is empty. "Afternoon, Pierre. What can you tell me about the bullets."

"Good afternoon, Chester. Congratulations on becoming Deputy Marshall. Is it hot out? You're sweating." He says, "It's warm out. I just had some chili at the El Parador. It's very spicy. I don't know if Dorita puts gunpowder in there or what."

Pierre takes Chester further into the back room. He says, "Mr. Martin, when you asked me to examine your ammunition that was prior to you becoming a lawman. I am curious. What are your thoughts regarding items powered by wizard magic? Do you view the ownership of such things are being illegal?"

Chester states, "If you had asked me a year ago, I would have regarded sorceress items as evil. Since arriving here in Promise City, I realize that isn't true. Sorcery is no different than priestly miracles. I don't know if I'll ever be completely OK with it, but live and let live.” He replies, "That is a very enlightened view and I am happy to hear that you feel that way. As you probably know, I am originally from France, where magic is freely practiced. Some of my knowledge of magical ammunition comes first hand, in that I have the ability to do some minor enchantments as well as identify those done by others."

Chester says, "As far as owning sorcerous things, I'll look the other way. I mean, I still have that Bailey pistol and ammo. So, I'd have to turn myself in. Don't worry, there a quite a few people in town who own such items." Pierre asks, "Speaking of that pistol, have you done anything about getting it to Bailey to repair?"

Chester states, "You know, I plum forgot about it. Things were crazy at the time. I even forgot where he lived. Could you tell me again?" Pierre states, "In Mexico, between two and three hundred miles from here. But he might not be inclined to fix the gun for a lawman and former Union soldier. He may have even heard about you, since his great nephew Mongo Bailey was one of the robbers at the January bank robbery where you got shot."

Chester replies, "I see what you mean. He might even think I was hunting Mongo. Hmm. I could find someone else to bring it in. But then Bailey would recognize it as belonging to Curly Bill Bronchus." Pierre answers, "You might ask your friend Jeff Mills, I believe that he and Bailey are associated with one another."

"They are? I had no idea. I'll have to ask him about that." Chester looks behind him at the door. "What can you tell me about the ammunition?" Pierre says, "You have an interesting assortment here, all magical." Chester asks, "Do you know what spells are on them? They must be very powerful."

Pierre states, They very from weak to very powerful. The weakest are the result of a "Magic Weapon" spell. That turns non-magical ammunition into magical. Normally the effect is only temporary, but I've found that here in Eastern Cochise County the magic remains as long as it is not taken out of the region. I only know of two people around who know this spell and I'm one of them. Since I didn't create these they would have been made by Johnny Ringo." Chester states, "That figures, since they came a member of the Cowboy Gang. Do you do business with them?"

Pierre continues, evading Chester’s question, and stating "These revolver shells that you see here have pyrotechnic magics attached. They work similar to the red shells for your hand cannon, only with a lesser explosion. But these shells have one major difference to yours. The immediate fire created by them continues to burn hot around the bullet for nearly an hour, so if it finds itself lodged inside a body....well, it is painfully fatal."

Chester lets out a low whistle. "Good thing I wasn't hit with one of those. These revolver bullets can become magical and these burn. How about the rifle bullets?" Pierre replies, Those are rare, not sure who may have made them. Possibly Bailey, he has access to Mexican wizards. They have a spell effect associated with them. A person struck by one of those bullets becomes immobile, held in place just as the comparable wizard spell."

"That's interesting." Chester sweeps the bullets into his hand. "How much do I owe you?" He laughs and says, "As if I would charge the Lawman protecting me from the Cowboy Gang! Your continued silence about my special skills is all I ask."

"Thanks again. Your secret is safe with me. But I didn't know you had trouble with the cowboys, too. If they hassle you, come see me at the office or the Lucky Lady." Chester points to his Colt Peacemaker. "When I come into some money, I'm going to want to trade this in for another Remington '75. It's a nice piece, but I'd like to have matching weapons. Looks better that way. I'll see you later." Chester looks at his watch. "I have to get ready for my date tonight. I need a bath."

Back at the ranch, Kate spent a large part of the afternoon working with the horses, and checking on Ginnie who made sure to stay in sight of the people working the ranch. About mid-afternoon she set out in search of her mentor. She should have just enough time for a leisurely bath and to dress before Conrad would be at the El Parador for dinner. She could pay him for the house and have that all taken care of.

Kate found her teacher outside Sonoma's house. "Can you escort Ginnie and I back to the El Parador? Nanuet and Miss Florencia went back a little while ago, and it's not safe for us to go alone. And I need that new piece of jewelry." Gonzales replies, "Yes, the Lazy-S Ranchers are just about ready to leave too. There's safety in numbers so we might as well all ride together."

Kate replies, "That sounds good. You can ride your new horse. I ran her through her paces and she did very well. Just promise she'll get out of that stable now and then. I'll go get Ginnie and Meribel and we'll be right with you."

Kate found her charge with a big smile on her face and a bag stuffed full of components. Instead of making her ride alone, Kate got her settled in front of her on Meribel as the group made ready to ride to Promise City. Sonoma came out to say good-bye, and Kate noted the strain on her face. She would have to come back out and talk with Sonoma tomorrow.

Within a half hour, the party at the ranch were moving back toward Promise City. Kate rode with Ginnie nodding off to sleep in front of her. A day outdoors was making Kate a little tired herself.
They arrived at the El Parador in short order. "Mr. Shaw, the El Parador has wonderful food, and I'm sure they'd be happy to take care of you. Otherwise the Lucky Lady would welcome you as well, but Mr. Cook and Miss West have gone to Tombstone on business.

Shaw says "I'll see you later then." He and his men head inside to see about lodgings. Dorita explains apologetically that they only have one room available at the moment. She suggests that they might check with the Promise City Hotel, but that it only takes human guests. Shaw pays for the room for his two Elvan ranch hands. He tells the human ranchers "You guys go get yourself rooms at that other place, I'll probably bunk down where ever my daughter is."

"You should find your daughter in the Lucky Lady, Mr. Shaw. Thank you again for all your help. Work that would have taken us the better part of a week got done in one afternoon. It's a great relief." Kate turns to her mentor and says, “Mr. Gonzales, I'm going to have a bath, then I'll come back and we can take of our other business?"

Kate and Ginnie went inside and up to their room. Kate packed herself a small bag to take to the bathhouse. She received a warm welcome from Laurie Gilson and spent almost an hour soaking in the steaming tub, liberally sprinkled with several pleasant smelling bath oils. She felt ten times better with her hair washed and back in a proper dress. She indulged in a moment of vanity, admiring the yellow dress.

Kate's escort from the El Parador was outside when she emerged. They walked back and Kate looked for her teacher. She finds him inside his mansion, sitting in a chair and drinking a glass of wine. "Ah, my little Sandpiper. So good of you to join me. I'm afraid that I did not do well today. I wanted so hard to get on Minerva's good side that I overdid it. She is a smart lady and now she is suspicious of me. Oh Katherine, what are we to do. She is my last hope."

Kate sat on the floor at his feet. "She was suspicious from the moment she knew you were a wizard. And abominably rude as well. She almost had me fooled, I had almost forgotten what the servants of the gods can...." Kate stopped and shook her head. "What is she your last hope for? To do with your twin?"

Gonzales replies, "Why yes. You remember what I said before, of the need to locate Coronado's Sword. It is the only thing that can destroy that infernal mirror. My research has traced his route to this very location. The land that he and his troops camped upon was where Promise City now stands.

According to diaries made by some of his troops on the day that he and his guards went into the mountains to hide the sword and other treasures they returned the same evening. That means that the items are no more than a half day walk from here, in either the Chiricahua or Dos Cabezas Mountains. Coronado was a paranoid man. He feared the native elves of both here and Mexico. He also feared other explorers from England, France, Italy and Portugal. So he placed magical curses and wards on the location of the hidden treasure so that only a human Spaniard can reach them."

"And so Miss Florencia becomes very important." Kate sighed. "I don't know how you "overdid' it, but I'm sure it's not irretrievable. Miss Florencia is learning to trust wizards. She seems to trust Ruby and I, she has not turned anyone in for being a wizard. I think you'll have to be patient. Trust builds slowly. I know you believe in gods, especially if you had their help to put an island back under the sea. Let her see that you are not like the wizards she has known. It is her nature to make friends, and if you are open to her, she will. In time."

"I'm not sure I'll be much help," she added. "I have my own difficulties trusting servants of the Greek and Roman gods." Manuel Gonzales sits pensive for a while. He then bursts out in a loud belly laugh. He then smiles and says, "Thank you my little sandpiper. That is very good advice. Here you are, just a quarter-century old, telling a man who has lived for over eight centuries to learn to be patient. That is rich! Especially since it is also true. You have wisdom beyond your years."

"It's easier to counsel patience than to practice it," she laughed. "I've learned some wisdom, but sometimes I feel as if I am still a child. We humans don't have centuries to learn in, we have to hurry up and learn patience," she teased. "You have already been patient, but it is always harder when we see the goal in reach, isn't it?” He replies, "Hardly within reach, I have no idea where in the mountains this great treasure is hidden. But the pieces are at least starting to now fall into place."

She says, “At least for tonight I can distract you. I don't work on Monday's and I think it's time for more lessons. I just have to see Conrad this evening and pay for my school building, then we can study." "That would be very nice. I have been doing so much traveling during this last week-and-a-half that I desire a chance to just stay put. I do have one suggestion though, please bring Ginnie. For her own safety we need to show her this place as well as get her to help check those books. We'll coordinate it so that I can open the doorway to here before she enters my other room as I'm not ready yet to teach her how to get into here on her own."

"I understand. I'll stop up after dinner and warn you about the invasion," she laughed. "I should go down to dinner, I'm afraid I disappointed Conrad yesterday, and I don't want to do it again today." Kate kissed his cheek. "I'm glad you're back. I always feel a little lost without my proffeseur. I'll see you soon."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 120, “Confrontation with Helen”, Monday, March 20th, 1882, 3:45 P.M.

Ruby has knocked on the door to George Eastman’s hotel room in Tombstone and is impatiently waiting for an answer. The door to the adjacent Room # 15 opens and then immediately shuts before Ruby can see who is there. Ruby knocks again, "Mr. Eastman please come out and talk to me..."

The door opens. Helen Eastman Barker is on the other side of it. Ruby sees that nobody else is in the room at the moment and the adjoining door inside leading to Room # 15 is now open. Helen states, "Why hello Constance Grace, what a pleasant surprise." "Hello Mrs. Barker," she says flatly. Trying to stand up straight she puts her shoulders back, "I'd like to speak to George." "Oh, I'm sure that you do," Helen says, a smirk curling her lips.

“So Helen," Ruby starts slowly walking towards her, "I saw Stanley. He knows how to make some really good cookies, don't you agree?” Ruby smirks back and stares hard at her. “I have HIM to thank for telling me where George is." Ruby pauses, eyeing the open door. "So why did you do it? Why would you want to hurt your cousin so badly? I mean, I know when we were children you never liked me, jealous of the attention your cousin gave me and my father's fortune. And after you threatened me not to see him anymore I did what you asked, for George. So why would you now ask him to come here so he could get hurt again? When it was YOU all along telling me not to marry him?"

Ruby pushes her way past Helen and looks around the room quickly. Seeing the open door she heads right for it, she is only looking for George Eastman. Helen exclaims "What a bunch of Cow Manure! We were never children together, I'm nearly twice your age! Your perspective is as warped as your memory. When we saw each other in the Lone Star Saloon last January you didn't even remember having ever met me before. It wasn't until after Georgie arrived that you recalled our few previous encounters. Nobody ever threatened you Constance....well, maybe your mother did but nobody from my family. You ran away, plain and simple, and broke his heart."

Ruby replies, "Oh well, at the time you certainly acted like a child I suppose that is what I remember. And yes, I didn't recognize you, I tried to forget you and all the mean things you said to me and the threats you gave me. Of course you are going to deny it. But it's YOUR fault that George's heart is broken, why do you think I ran away?" Ruby starts raising her voice, "On top of everything at least I thought it was over but you made it worse by asking him to come back here so you could embarrass and hurt him again! Your own family, how could you do that to him? He's a good man and you are deliberately hurting him!"

Ruby pushes her way over to the other doorway, seeing the adjacent room also empty other any other individual. She notices luggage and photography equipment in both room. Helen shuts the door to the hallway and says, "Maybe if you're finished with your little temper tantrum we can sit and talk like civilized people." Ruby purses her lips and holds back the biting remark. "What could you possibly have to say to me, Mrs. Barker? You've already tried to embarrass me, you've put me down and now you're calling me a liar." With that Ruby takes a seat.

Helen replies, "I've done nothing of the kind. I've merely pointed out that your memory appears to be rather selective. By your own admission you've tried to forget the past so it shouldn't be surprising that you've managed to blur some of the details. That is understandable, you were very young at the time and were awash with new emotions.

Georgie never got over you Constance, he needs some finality in his life. He shouldn't go on chasing after a dream he will never reach, he has too much potential for that. But I am not the one who is causing him harm, you are. You accepted his ring but have been stringing him along now for over a week now, making him think that you are interested in him. I realize what you are doing here and I don't like it."

"What am I doing here Mrs. Barker? YOU invited him, not me." Ruby pauses, "This is none of your business but I tried NOT to accept his ring, he made me take it. I told him no very clearly from the beginning. I was and am genuinely concerned about his well being and instead of just saying, 'He's ok Ruby' you caused a scene in MY saloon and now have made some of my employees upset that Stanley will no longer be playing there. You can deceive yourself about what happened between us when we were younger but I didn't forget and you WILL NOT blame this on me."

Helen responds, "Well Constance, why is it that you have now come to Tombstone?" Ruby answers, "To attend the show at the theater. Why does that matter to you?" Helen states, "It matters because I do care about my cousin. I saw you get off of that stagecoach with Mr. Cook. For the theater? Well there are no performances taking place in my cousin's room. I'm wise to you Miss. West. You and Mr. Cook are nothing more than a pair of grifters, out to con as much money as you possibly can from my cousin. I will not allow that to happen."

Ruby sighs. "You know nothing about me and," she continues sternly with emphasis, "LEAVE JAKE OUT OF THIS. He has nothing to do with this. But again you threaten me. What exactly do you think you will do to me, Mrs. Barker?" Ruby raises her eyebrow.

Helen states, "I will show my cousin the type of person you actually are. A person who for her own selfish reasons managed to break up the Whipple's marriage and cheat them out of their Saloon. And you came very close to cheating Georgie out of fifty-thousand of his hard-earned dollars, but your Mr. Cook got greedy and overplayed his hand. Holding out for more money was your big mistake."

She walks over to the door and says, "You and Mr. Cook must have realized that by now, which is why you've now chased after him to Tombstone. But you're too late. He's gone on Tucson with the Earps, to photograph their funeral procession. He was planning to return with them tomorrow but you've convinced me to head over to the telegraph office right now and wire him to keep on going and not come back here." She opens the door and says, "You lose this hand Miss West. Now get out of our rooms."

Ruby exclaims, "You are a stupid foolish woman, Mrs. Barker. And you know nothing about anything. First of all, Maggie sold us her share of the saloon for her own reasons that YOU cannot even comprehend. Again, that is none of your business although you act like it is. Mr. Cook didn't take the $50,000 because your cousin's offer was completely offensive to me and to himself. You should be ashamed to even be talking of such things and your entire family will be embarrassed to know what the two of you have been up to out here." Ruby continues with a bite in her voice, "You, greedy and selfish as you ever were, cannot understand it has nothing to do with the money. Some people are above such things but I suppose when you come from practical poverty you wouldn't understand that."

"I came here for this," she pulls the ring box out of her pocket, "To once again put this extremely expensive ring where it belongs and make sure George is alright. But you have once again ruined your cousin's chance at having any happy encounters." "Go ahead and wire him. You forget that I know where he lives and he will know the truth about you." Ruby stands and full of more fire than before walks past Helen, brushing into her. As she walks past she makes one final comment, "More one thing, I don't lose Mrs. Barker. Oh, how I'm going to LOVE being cousins with you." With a satisfied smirk she walks down the hall.

The smile stays on Ruby's face until she returns to her room. Once inside the fire inside her burns down a bit. It felt really good to blow off steam on Mrs. Helen Barker. "Maybe I was a bit irrational earlier," she says out loud to herself, "Irrational about Jake anyway." She pulls the ring out of her pocket and puts it on her finger and admires it. "So beautiful... and so sorry you have to go."

Maybe it was the bath a short while earlier....or the warm weather.....or the anger cursing inside her....or perhaps a combination of all of those. But Ruby's hands have swelled slightly in size and she suddenly discovers that the ring is stuck and will not come off. Ruby struggles as best she can to get the ring off her finger but to no avail. She tugs, pulls, curses, spits on it, begs and yanks but it won't come off.

Meanwhile, Jake grabs the bottle and two glass from the bar and makes his way leisurely up the stairs. He opens the door to their room and holds out the bottle. "I brought a peace offering. Can we go back to this holiday being about us?" Ruby jumps and with a guilty face she puts her hands behind her back. "Er... sure, yes, that is what I want, it's all about us, me and you, you and me, Ruby and Jake and sex, lots of sex."

"Errrr, good. I think." Jake puts the glasses down and opens the bottle to pour, "I arranged for dinner and sent out for some show tickets. They'll send someone up to let us know what time." Jake starts to pour the first glass and stops. "Damn, woman, what is wrong with you?" Ruby keeps her hands behind her back and she smiles lamely at Jake. "Look, I don't want to fight anymore, I really don't want to fight. Can I get that promise now that we won't fight anymore?"

Jake eyes her suspiciously. "I did not come back up here to fight with you Ruby West," he says slowly and clearly while he pretends to focus on pouring two equal glasses of bourbon. "It sure sounds to me you are not done testing my patience." With two fingers, he idly rotates his glass on the end table in short and quick increments. The room is silent as he does this repeatedly until, "No." He looks up at her. "That's a fool's promise." He releases the glass and in a flash has drawn his Colt. With his arm extended the pistol spins in his hand and then he flips it over once so he is holding it by the barrel, with the grip towards Ruby. "Why don't you just shoot me now and get it over with."

Ruby reaches out with her right hand, keeping the left behind her back, and takes Jake's gun. She keeps her eyes on him and slowly walks backwards, leaving it on the dresser. "Well, that's a little better I suppose." Then she walks back to the table and picks up her drink, shooting it all back and extending it for a refill. "How about we stay in tonight? We could have so much fun..." She jiggles her glass back and forth waiting for the refill she knows she is going to need.

With raised eyebrows he refills her glass. "All I have heard for days and days is how badly you needed to get away, to have fun, to see this show. I have dinner planned, show tickets on the way and then we were off to the saloon for poker. If I am recalling properly you have been itching for a poker game as well." Jake rests the bottle back on the table next to his untasted bourbon glass. "We've come all the way to Tombstone to lock ourselves in this room?"

"Things change?" she mutters sheepishly, looking at her still bare feet. Knowing there is no way Jake is going to take this any way but bad she shoots the next drink down, leaving the glass on the table. She starts biting her lip as she speaks, "You see, I went to find George, so this could be over with..." She sees Jake's facial expression and starts pulling on her hair with her right hand. Changing thoughts she continues, "I, uh, was going to..." she pauses trying to find the right words, "You said...uh, it's like this...uh..." The words won't come so Ruby slowly pulls her left hand from behind her back. She puts a huge smile on her face, "Wanna get married?" and she waits for the explosion.

He replies, "If I did it looks like I would have to get in line." Calmly he refills her glass and picks up his own. Raising it up he asks, "Are congratulations in order?" She answers, "Only if you're going to marry me." He says, "Let's drink to unexpected surprises instead. May they be more pleasant in the future." He reaches out and touches his glass to hers and has a taste followed by a quiet, "Ah."

He grabs the wooden high back chair and flips it around to sit in it backwards. He lays his arms across the top and rests his chin on his arms. "Caleb White said to me... You remember me telling you about Caleb White before?" Ruby nods hesitantly. "Caleb said, Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an institution?" Jake's eyes look up at Ruby's face. "Admit it, you can't hide it from me anymore, Hermes sent you to torture me." "So I take it that's a no?" Ruby says with a look of disappointment on her face.

Jake raises his head and takes another sip of the bourbon. "I think that I am missing a puzzle piece here. Follow along if you can. We rush off to Tombstone to have a fun and intimate time together, and you can do some unspecified business with the man who gave you that ring and his cousin. We are having an intimate time together so you can tell me how nice, rich and wonderful George is but you love me anyway. While I take a breather from that to get my head straight I arrange all the entertainment for which you have been begging me. I come back up stairs to make peace so we can enjoy the two days we both desperately need, time where we can spend on just us, getting to know each other even more. And you tell me it just about you and me, but now you don't want to go out, you are wearing his engagement ring and want to know if I want to get married." Jake drains the rest of the bourbon in his glass.

"Girl, have pity on this poor boy. I don't think I could be any more confused. Is there a chance that any of this makes sense? No, no, it can't. I am expecting too much." He shakes his head and continues in a heart-breaking tone. "Is there some remote possibility that Ruby and Jake can go back to enjoying themselves, spending time together getting to know each other without the rest of the world barging in? No saving the world, no complicated plans, no talk of marriage or investments or future plans." He rubs his eyes and then his temples. His elbows on the chair back, he rests his head in his hands and finishes, "I'm not even sure I know who I am anymore."

Ruby looks at Jake, the confusion so obvious on his face it actually hurt her. “The ring, it won’t come off,” she blurts out, “I decided to sell it. George isn’t coming back; at least I don’t think so. I put it on because it is a beautiful ring, and I love jewelry, I just put it on for no good reason and now it won’t come off, it’s stuck.”

“We did not come here, I did not come here for George. I asked you to take me to the show and I had no idea he would be here. But once I found out I figured it was a good time to finish this business. I know you are worried about it or you wouldn’t have gotten so angry.” Ruby picks up her glass in her hands, the beads of perspiration dripping onto her fingers as she holds it. “I was only kidding about the getting married stuff. I thought you’d be mad I put the ring on and now it won’t come off. If we go out anywhere people will think we are getting married and I figured that would bother you so that is why I said stay in. I already told you I know you don’t ever want to get married to me.”

Ruby walks over to Jake, puts her drink down and takes his face in her hands, forcing him to look at her. “Baby, I’m so sorry…” her voice trails off and everything else she wants to say is forgotten. “I DO love you, more than anything, and I have given you everything I have to give. I’m sorry if it’s not enough or it confuses you.” She lets her hands drop and walks over to the bed, sitting uncomfortably on the edge.

"Why is everything so complicated?" Jake stands up from the chair. "We have enough trouble without inventing it." He draws a really deep breath and pushes it out. "Now I have dinner, a show and poker afterwards planned for tonight. Are you coming with me or do I have to find another date?" Ruby's eyes grow large and she starts biting her lip as Jake speaks these last words. "A-A-Another date, what do you mean?" Her lip start quivering and her eyes start filling with tears, "What do y-y-yoou mean?"

He answers, "Hermes! Don't start blabbering. I have a perfectly good evening planned for us, and I'm not going to wasted it. So, will you join me tonight?" "So you are really saying that if I don't say yes that you would find someone else to go with you?" The expression on Ruby's face has gone from upset to practically heartbroken. "Yes that is exactly what I said and no I didn't mean a word of it." In exasperation he adds, "Now that you've called my bluff will you go out with me tonight?"

Ruby lets out a huge sigh of relief and visibly relaxes, although still noticeably upset. "Yes, I'll go out with you. But what about this," she says holding up her finger with the big sparkly hard to miss diamond on it. Jake whips out his knife and says with a dark smile, "How bad do you want it off?" Ruby's mouth drops open and she pulls her finger back quickly. She rises off the bed and walks over to the window, grabbing and downing her drink on the way. "I really need to get drunk RIGHT NOW."

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." He says putting away the knife and laughing. "Turn it around for now, and we'll go out and shop for some formal gloves that match your outfit. The gloves should hide the ring for dinner and the show pretty easily. May not work for Poker though. Perhaps once you are relaxed the finger will be less swelled. If not, we'll locate some ice." He comes up behind her and wraps his arms around her waist. "We can handle the cards we are dealt. Don't worry."

Ruby places her arms over Jake's and tilts her head to the side, resting it on his chest. His embrace always made her feel better. She stayed like that for long moments, letting her problems melt away. Finally she turned back to Jake, putting her arms around his neck. "I HATE gloves. But I'll do it for you if you want me to." She leans in and kisses him. "You scared me, Jake."

"We are even then." He says and kisses her hard. "If you don't want gloves then let's try the ice now. I'm sure we can get ice water here, I have bought just about everything else in town from them. No more serious talk for now." He steps away from their embrace and prods her chest with his index finger. "I want YOU to entertain me. We can do the business we have, go shopping or whatever until dinner but while we are doing it I want you to think about keeping me amused. That way you'll be too busy to worry about the rest of the world. It will be there tomorrow waiting for us."

Remove ads