WOIN N.E.W. Space Opera [OOC]...

tglassy

Adventurer
WOIN N.E.W. Space Opera [OOC/Character Creation]...

I’m going to disagree with you, there. Page 62 is talking about abilities that affect others. If it needs a check, the exploits say so themselves. Empathy, in all its variations, requires no check, sometimes it’s even explicitly stated. Unless you have an exploit of some kind that negates that, I’m pretty sure I can sense Strong Emotions in anyone I converse with.

I can’t read anyone’s mind. Only sense strong emotions. And then, only in people with which I converse with. You could, I suppose, do a check yourself to see if you can keep any strong emotions from coming to the surface, or just use one word descriptors, such as “angry” or “bored”.

I’m obviously not going to push this on party members, it’s more for NPC’s, but since you brought it up.

I’m going to disagree with you, there. Page 62 is talking about abilities that affect others. If it needs a check, the exploits say so themselves. Empathy, in all its variations, requires no check, sometimes it’s even explicitly stated. Unless you have an exploit of some kind that negates that, I’m pretty sure I can sense Strong Emotions in anyone I converse with.

I can’t read anyone’s mind. Only sense strong emotions. And then, only in people with which I converse with. You could, I suppose, do a check yourself to see if you can keep any strong emotions from coming to the surface, or just use one word descriptors, such as “angry” or “bored”.

I’m obviously not going to push this on party members, it’s more for NPC’s, but since you brought it up.

I think it is just poor wording. Anything can be considered to affect a character. In this instance your PC is trying to read the surface emotions of those around him that is an affect. Though you are probably correct that the specific rules in each exploit would supersede the rule on page 62.

My other problem is the way empathy is worded. It states strong emotions, what would be considered a strong emotion? I'll let [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] rule if my character can prevent the reading.

GreenKarl

First Post
Okay, have to say that I am interested. I remember making some characters a couple years back for a contest Morris had and really enjoying it. Have room for another player? What roles need to be filled on the team? I'll get the books and see what I can work up. Looks like a Face might be helpful? Or maybe a medic?

There are two psychics, a android who is something of a pilot/navigator and an ex-cop type. Someone with a more engineering focus would be good BUT its really up to you. If you want to make another psychic you can, maybe just more non-battle/star knight type ;)

GreenKarl

First Post
Hmm for strong emotions and whether or not you need a roll... I am leaning towards the idea that Strong Emotions are like fear, pain, anger, not normally just someone going about their day. So if you are calm or just not stressed, etc. the empath would just get that you don't have any strong emotions right now.

Sound good?

Hmm for strong emotions and whether or not you need a roll... I am leaning towards the idea that Strong Emotions are like fear, pain, anger, not normally just someone going about their day. So if you are calm or just not stressed, etc. the empath would just get that you don't have any strong emotions right now.

Sound good?

I'm cool with this.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'd imagine I wouldn't get anything from an Android, though that's not stated anywhere.

But Empathy is so tiny, I don't believe that it warrants any type of check. Mind Reading would, and it states so. But empathy is almost a ribbon ability. I can tell you're angry. Whoo hoo. I can't tell that you're harboring some deep seeded desire to eat babies due to your mommy issues and the fact that your mommy loved your little brother more than she loved you. Or that you're planning to kill me. And as for "Strong Emotions", I'd be happy leaving that up to you. You can choose what I feel from you, and if that's "Nothing, there are no strong emotions," then that's cool. This isn't meant to be against party members, anyway. Just something to use against NPC's.

I would imagine the Mind Shield exploit would effectively shield your mind, though, if you have it. That costs PP, though.

I'm more concerned about NPC empaths. My characters backstory has him in hiding and on the run from a very powerful megacorp. Not being able to shield my mind from one of their empaths would be a significant problem. As a Psycher I should know how I can do that or if I can't then how I could evade the empath. If it is roll some check to hide emotions that is good but as a player I need to figure out those rules. Your PC just caused me to have to think about them now. Which spawned this conversation.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'd imagine there's not much an empath can learn when hunting someone, other than "He's afraid but acting normal", and "She's way too interested in that news report." Mind readers, yes. Definitely, and the Mind Shield Exploit does that pretty well. Really, any means of increasing your Mental Defense would help. And learning how to control your emotions, so you don't ever show any or dampen down any strong emotions can be a character choice that I think can be Player's agency to hide from empaths. I think, perhaps, if you were talking to a Reader from the megacorp, then maybe a bluff check or something could be in order, with penalties due to his ability to read emotions, but reading emotions won't necessarily show that a person is lying. Just that they're afraid as they answer.

Remove ads