• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Women in 4E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Piratecat said:
If someone is uncomfortable, please don't push them. The thread is about women in D&D art, not one person's taste.

Thanks.

I apologize for the lack of manners, and edited the post to remedy it. Thanks for the reminder, won't happen again.

Moonshade

First Post
Geron Raveneye said:
I apologize for the lack of manners, and edited the post to remedy it. Thanks for the reminder, won't happen again.

Thank you, though you've been disagreeing with me more politely than many bother to do on the Internet.

It would be kind of nice to get away from art for a while. Iconics? The claim that women like fluff and not just combat in RPGs? Anything?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Moonshade said:
It would be kind of nice to get away from art for a while. Iconics? The claim that women like fluff and not just combat in RPGs? Anything?

Uhm...I can't :uhoh: Got too many female gamers around my tables that would chop my head off if I claimed stuff like that. :eek: ;)

But you mentioned something just now that also came up in this thread already...the Iconics. I think we can all agree that the iconic characters are meant to be exemplary for players, and not eye-candy (at least in MOST cases...I hope? Please? :uhoh: ). So how about taking a look at those, since they will be (or were) what most 3.X players will see first thing. Are they too "unreasonable" in clothing/armor? Lidda and Mialee have been mentioned already, and WizarDru already posted a few he deems sensible. Are those examples for player characters already over the line, or are they still tolerable?

And just for laughs, I'd like to mention that the Scarred Lands actually made this "habit" of showing wizards and sorceresses in skimpy clothing a campaign rule, namely that spellcasting produces a lot of internal heat in the caster, something that can actually cause discomfort and problems when not counteracted...skimpy clothes, cooling enchantments on cloth, etc. Was quite the funny houserule to be discovered, and yes, it went for both genders equally. :lol:

Maybe that's be something else to discuss...if there actually ARE rules that were derived by some habits found in D&D artwork, and what they are? Any other examples?

And just as a ponder...how would it have been if, instead of this illustration for a paladin

mt1128069151.jpg

we'd have had this one here in the PHB.

FemaleHeroKnight.jpg

Or this?

http://www.warhammeronline.com/newsletter/images/2006/knightsun_02.jpg

Any differences? Same thing?

Last edited:

Mad Mac

First Post
I think we can all agree the Iconic Paladin had one of the worst designs. If nothing else, patchwork scale armor simply doesn't go with the Knight in Shining Armor archtype.

I remember one of the Wizard Blogs mentioning the idea of having the new icons "upgrade" equipment as they went up levels, instead of having everyone dressed in scale armor all the time. I'd really like to see that, personally.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Mad Mac said:
I think we can all agree the Iconic Paladin had one of the worst designs. If nothing else, patchwork scale armor simply doesn't go with the Knight in Shining Armor archtype.

I remember one of the Wizard Blogs mentioning the idea of having the new icons "upgrade" equipment as they went up levels, instead of having everyone dressed in scale armor all the time. I'd really like to see that, personally.

Well, remember, Alhandra as you see her there is a 1st-level character. Plate armor is somewhat out of her budget. As you see her in the PHB II, she's leveled up. To wit:
97114.jpg

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Geron Raveneye said:
Here we see a sterling example of stupid armor which doesn't even have the excuse of showing off boobs.

The other two are wearing armor that is less silly.

None of them seems to have the slightest hint of "objectionable" qualities.
None of them have much in terms of facial expression.

Cheers, -- N

nerfherder

Explorer
wgreen said:
For anyone who's interested, here's an old thread from rec.games.frp.dnd. It goes through pretty much the exact same arguments as this thread has. :)

-Will
I remember this discussion popping up in the letters page of White Dwarf around the mid 1980's. It's good to see the young'uns taking an interest in the same topics as us old farts ;)

Elephant

First Post
Hairfoot said:
If you're going to be like that, then, as another ENworlder (whose name I can't recall) once said, there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those who spell "lose", "loose".

Ha! Take that!

I don't know who it was either, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
nerfherder said:
I remember this discussion popping up in the letters page of White Dwarf around the mid 1980's. It's good to see the young'uns taking an interest in the same topics as us old farts ;)

Whoever coinced the phrase "learning from history" simply never understood how humanity works. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads