• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wonderous Item Question

I've encountered a dilemma while I was purchasing magical equipment for an 8th level Ebberon character. While paging through the Wondrous Items list in the DMG, I discovered I couldn't figure out if Horseshoes of Speed could be made for, or worn by an exotic creature. Specifically, a Clawfoot (Velociraptor) riding dinosaur. Am I out of luck?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Sorrow The Man Bear said:
I've encountered a dilemma while I was purchasing magical equipment for an 8th level Ebberon character. While paging through the Wondrous Items list in the DMG, I discovered I couldn't figure out if Horseshoes of Speed could be made for, or worn by an exotic creature. Specifically, a Clawfoot (Velociraptor) riding dinosaur. Am I out of luck?
Any item that isn't in the DMG is a House Rule, meaning that by the RAW, no you can't create Horseshoes of Speed that aren't horseshoes. However, as a DM I'd certainly allow a PC of mine to commission Legbands of Speed or somesuch for a non-horse mount. I think most other DMs would as well.

shilsen

Adventurer
What Lord Pendragon said. This is in the area of DM adjudication, so you need to speak to yours. I'd allow it myself, but your DM might not.

Nail

First Post
Let's agree on this: "a magic item not in the DMG will have to be written up in collaboration with the DM." Determining what such an item could do, how the PC might create such an item, and what that item's market price would be....that's not a "house rule".

ARandomGod

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Any item that isn't in the DMG is a House Rule, meaning that by the RAW, no you can't create Horseshoes of Speed that aren't horseshoes. However, as a DM I'd certainly allow a PC of mine to commission Legbands of Speed or somesuch for a non-horse mount. I think most other DMs would as well.

Yup, definitely a house rule.

On a related note, boots of speed enchanted like horseshoes of speed are a much better bet than boots of running and jumping. They give much more bang for a lot less gold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads