• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wood Elf Mobile Monk

Cannyjiggit

First Post
While perusing through the PHB trying to think of the most outlandish combinations available, I came across this idea completely based on movement.

Wood Elf starts with base 35 movement so at 2nd level a Wood Elf monk would already have a speed of 45. With the mobile feat at 4th level this increases to 55 and importantly
"When you make a melee atack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn whether you hit or not"

At this point, you can pretty much make an attack against anything and get out of its reach before it can respond. If they are slow (25 speed), you could even close in, attack and still move just outside of its reach by just enough to still be in range next round. This becomes easier at 6th level (60 movement) and at 10th (65) you can start to do the same to anything with the standard 30 movement. The movement caps out at 18th level with 75 which can probably outrun anything and could joust in that fasion with anything speed 35 or below

Of course, this is just extremes for the fun of it and the opponents response is to use the ready action to prepare for the monk attack or just use any form of ranged attack but both of these become more difficult if they have someone else in their face and in the case of the ready action, if the monk changes targets the opponent loses their attack

Mallus

Legend
I was thinking of something similar for a parkour Musketeer-type PC: high elf Fighter/Eldritch Knight with the Mobile Feat using the Expeditious Retreat spell.

At 4th level: (base move 30' + 10' from feat) x 2 from spell = 80' per round with no penalty from difficult terrain. The phrase "melee sniper" came to mind -- I'm picturing him armed with a rapier.

BigVanVader

First Post
Or, you could make a medieval version of The Flash. Have lightning streaks when he moves at top speed, he leaves a trail of fire, etc. It would be great.

Remove ads