• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wood Elves and Wild Elves - Different since?

Ninja-to

First Post
It's been a long time since hearing of the Wood Elves and Wild Elves back in 2nd edition, and somewhere along the way I must have mixed and merged them into the same thing. Someone recently pointed out to me that they're now completely different sub-races. How did I ever get these two mixed up? Have they ever meant the same thing? My only guess is that Wild Elves were introduced in the Dark Sun campaign but I don't think this is the case (they were Athasian Elves or something).

Confused. Help.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I think the wild vs. wood elf thing is just a matter of a couple Realms-specific feats in 4e. (You can only take one of the two.)

They're certainly the same in my mind as well.

Ryujin

Legend
Wild Elves were introduced back in 1e, differentiating them from Wood Elves. IIRC they were introduced in the 1e MM2. I always thought that it was a nod to Wendy and Richard Pini's "Elfquest" comics.

Aimon

First Post
I don't know how relevant that is, but I first became aware of the different types of elves through the DragonLance novels, where the Silvanesti corresponded to "High Elves", the Qualinesti to "Wood Elves" and the Kagonesti to "Wild Elves".

Maybe that was just the DL version of existing categories, and maybe the novels and modules helped to solidify those concepts, I'm not sure.

Hope it helps.

Quickleaf

Legend
Wild Elves were introduced back in 1e, differentiating them from Wood Elves. IIRC they were introduced in the 1e MM2. I always thought that it was a nod to Wendy and Richard Pini's "Elfquest" comics.

Ninja'd!

Yeah the wild elf (originally called grugach) was originally detailed in the 1e MM2 (1983)...or maybe a Dragon magazine the year before but MM2 is what I remember. The term is Gaelic and refers to brownie-like fairies

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ninja'd!

Yeah the wild elf (originally called grugach) was originally detailed in the 1e MM2 (1983)...or maybe a Dragon magazine the year before but MM2 is what I remember. The term is Gaelic and refers to brownie-like fairies

Unearthed Arcana may have had them and the wood elves, and drow, and gray elves...I would have to go back and check, but I think that is where sub-race proliferation was made official.

I don't know how relevant that is, but I first became aware of the different types of elves through the DragonLance novels, where the Silvanesti corresponded to "High Elves", the Qualinesti to "Wood Elves" and the Kagonesti to "Wild Elves".

Maybe that was just the DL version of existing categories, and maybe the novels and modules helped to solidify those concepts, I'm not sure.

Hope it helps.
Actually, both Silvanesti and Qualinesti are High Elves. The Kagonesti are Wild Elves (according to the original modules.)
The later Dragonlance Adventures hardback had some confusing stats regarding these races, and in general it makes them too powerful offering unlimited advancement in most of the classes.
Later, the AD&D 2e Book of Elves defined the Kagonesti as Sylvan elves instead.
Personally, I prefer the original DL modules.

Aimon

First Post
Actually, both Silvanesti and Qualinesti are High Elves. The Kagonesti are Wild Elves (according to the original modules.)

Right. So I guess the "wood elf" category didn't really exist in the DL world.

The later Dragonlance Adventures hardback had some confusing stats regarding these races, and in general it makes them too powerful offering unlimited advancement in most of the classes.
Later, the AD&D 2e Book of Elves defined the Kagonesti as Sylvan elves instead.
Personally, I prefer the original DL modules.

Yeah. Unified knowledge sometimes feels a little too standardized... in my memory the original DL modules were a glorious and chaotic thing, full to the brim with information.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Remove ads