• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Working out the XP of creatures

Seriously need help here- the formula is so insanely complex and not very clear is it Health/ ((25.2/Defence)*25.2)*soak PLUS 24/(attack [all attack dice or some?]*4.2)*(damage dice*4.2)+((range [squares or feet?]/10)*4.2)?

Or do you add them?

And what is he stray 25 for?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's basically the average amount of damage per round a creature will do against a standard enemy divided by the average amount of damage per round it will take from that same standard enemy. The spreadsheet should do that for you.

It is fairly complex to do manually; I'm looking at finding approximations, but that is very low priority at the moment.

(Lucas, feel free to upload the spreadsheet here - I would, but I'm on my phone).

I tried to create my own spreadsheet- but couldn't manage it as I couldn't work out all of the numbers etc.

I think perhaps a more simple 'art' style system like d20 might make things a little easier- it won't be mathematically as perfect- but it will be easier for GMs to work with.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think perhaps a more simple 'art' style system like d20 might make things a little easier- it won't be mathematically as perfect- but it will be easier for GMs to work with.

The d20 system has a lot more restriction and math than this one. That aside, the monster creation section is guidelines only. If you want a 3' tall alien with the strength of a tyrannosaurus, go right ahead. If you want Q from Star Trek, just give him the necessary powers. You'll have to ball-park the XP value if you use unusual abilities, but that's fine.

With D20 you ballpark as well- they give you guidance for the XP things are worth- within a range- its art rather than science- this whole 'calculation' is very very complicated. And what about non-combat NPCs?

That said, with your calculations- this sheet will track your antagonist and also does some of the calculations for you.

Attachments

• monster 'template' draft 1.xlsx
    19.7 KB · Views: 64

Then at some point it would be good if there were guidance on how to award it- an angry politician can be far more dangerous than a deadly creature.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then at some point it would be good if there were guidance on how to award it- an angry politician can be far more dangerous than a deadly creature.

Of course. You only have about half the book there; I have a LOT more yet to write. But I want to be sure what's currently there works before I write another 75K words building on it. Plus I have to use it all for O.L.D., too, so I need to be doubly sure! :)

Remove ads