• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World at War OOC

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Nope not here yet maybe my bids for games keep getting eaten...That is why

~to your regularly scheduled program~

Is anyone playing guard duty? Or are we just sitting in the open without

~Rest of post was eaten by the Void~

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Guard duty. Of course. Um. Well, the Halflings would probably take the first shift or the last shift, closer to a time when the sun would be out.

Bront

The man with the probe
Mallak said:
I would think that you could take 20 on open lock check. The skill description says nothing about there being negative repercussions from a failed check. Sure, one could argue that you could break your picks or jam the lock, but those things usually happen due to inexperience on the part of the picker or attempting to pick the lock too quickly. If you're taking your time, you should have no problem. Of course, usually you won't have time to take 20 on an open lock check, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to. (As I recall, Neverwinter Nights allowed you to take 20 on an open lock check -- although NN played fast and loose with a lot of mechanics.)
I thought you couldn't because it became harder to try with each attempt beyond the first one. It's probably up to the GM.

NWN let you take a 20 on disarms too, and that's a no-no.

Jdvn1

Bront said:
I thought you couldn't because it became harder to try with each attempt beyond the first one. It's probably up to the GM.

NWN let you take a 20 on disarms too, and that's a no-no.
Why would picking a lock get more difficult after the first try? I dont' think there's any mechanical justification for that. If that were true, you could get a poor lock and intentionally try to fail at picking your own lock so no one open it without your key.

Jdvn1

Bront said:
That's right, that's it.

So you can take a 20 with a knowledge check given time and resources,
Um, no...
Knowledge Skill said:
Try Again

No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something that you never learned in the first place.

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
Why would picking a lock get more difficult after the first try? I dont' think there's any mechanical justification for that. If that were true, you could get a poor lock and intentionally try to fail at picking your own lock so no one open it without your key.
It's only harder for you, not for others. I thought it was in there.

As for the Knowledge check, I said in a library. It's using the books and researching a topic that you already know in order to find out something. I believe it's allowed somewhere, but that's the only case I can think of.

Jdvn1

Bront said:
It's only harder for you, not for others. I thought it was in there.

As for the Knowledge check, I said in a library. It's using the books and researching a topic that you already know in order to find out something. I believe it's allowed somewhere, but that's the only case I can think of.
It's not in there.

A GM would probably allow a circumstance bonus when trying to research in a library, but if you're in a library, you only get one check.

Mallak

First Post
I'm going to have to go with Jdvn1 on this one, as he has already said just about everything I wanted to say. However, I would allow the library to give you a variable circumstance bonus based on how long you spent researching. But you'd still only get one check.

However, it's a different matter when you're trying to find a specific piece of knowledge in a book somewhere. Then it's just a search check, which you can take 20 on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads