• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World of Warcraft open beta signups live--sort of!

EricNoah

Adventurer
Tried to download yesterday and it was going to take like 15 hours. So I think I'll skip it, wait for a few days, whatever. Reading the forums was not encouraging - lots of people with lots of concerns!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Yeah: since last night, the game's lag has been just about unbearable. The servers are down right now as they perform some maintenance on them, and everyone is hoping that the maintenance will fix the lag problems

I'm desperately hoping that the game doesn't see these kinds of problems on its release.

Daniel

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

The lag has been pretty bad the last few days. Initially, for me at least, it was very annoying, but not deadly. Last night, the lag got me keeled. I wish the mobs were as affected by the lag as the player.

Also, last night I crashed out 5 or 6 times. 3 or 4 of those times all I was doing was running along, no spell casting, no nothin'. Annoying.

Lastly, the open beta has closed, unfortunately.

Take care,
Dreeble (Ouchbark, 14th lvl Cow Shammy on East 4 PvP).

Thanee

First Post
Looks like the open beta is at least open to anyone, since I had no trouble to get through to the download (it's still running, tho, kinda slow, but should be finished today).

Bye
Thanee

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Cool, Thanee--lemme know if you're able to play when it's done! My understanding is that in retail, the main limit on playing will be that you'll have to have a credit card accepted by US banks. (When I was in Scandinavia last year, I know that many places refused my Visa, since it drew on US banks and apparently the two systems aren't connected yet).

However, I expect the European launch to be pretty soon after the American launch--and I expect it to go more smoothly, since Blizzard will have had time to iron out many of the kinks in their servers by then.

Daniel

Thanee

First Post
Well, I can tell you for sure, that the open beta isn't limited to US, I know several german people who play it already.

Hopefully it will be possible to play on every server from everywhere. :)

Bye
Thanee

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

Well, that's weird.

"World of Warcraft Open Beta Signups Closed - Nebu on 11/09/04"

That's the second notice on the www.worldofwarcraft.com website. Oh, well. If other people get in, cool.

The 7 people I play with (plus hopefully 4 or 5 from City of Heroes eventually) all decided to move from East 4 PvP server (which consistently had high lag and a waiting queue of hundreds) to Central 26 Normal server. Big different. Still a bit of lag once in a while, but no crashes at all for me. Tried an Undead Rogue and had way fun. ;)

Take care, Dreeble

Thanee

First Post
Dreeble said:
"World of Warcraft Open Beta Signups Closed - Nebu on 11/09/04"
Yeah, I heard it closed within 24h of going live. There was only a limited number of accounts available. Obviously, either the number of open beta accounts was rather small, or the crowd of applicants rather huge. :D

Luckily I registered an account right after I read about it and so could sneak in before it happened. Download is finished, too, I'll take a look at it this evening (that is in roughly 5 hours).

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads