• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worlds and Monsters & homebrewing

tombowings

First Post
I have been debating whether or not to pick up Worlds and Monsters for a long time. Now that I started working on a homebrew setting, I have been wondering if it would be a logical step to pick it up. For those of you who picked up the book because you wanted to get an early starts on your homebrew settings, is it worth it?

tombowings

First Post
breschau said:
It's nowhere near as useful as Races & Classes.

I don't think it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Races and Classes is helpful though? I don't have that one either, but thought Worlds and Monsters sounded more up the ally I was looking for.

hong

WotC's bitch
I found it more interesting than R&C. It's certainly a great primer for the new cosmology they've dreamt up.

Belorin

Explorer
Both are great if this your first homebrew or have a hard time with developing a cosmology or world creation and population, lots of fluff in that respect.

Bel

breschau said:
It's nowhere near as useful as Races & Classes.

I don't think it was worth the money, but that's just me.

Wow. I had the exact opposite reaction. I found W&M to be absolutely inspiring. Between the text on the new planes and the artwork, I think I have enough ideas for almost a dozen campaigns. I can't think of a recent D&D book that sparked my imagination more than W&M.

R&M, OTOH, was interesting, but not mind-blowing.

breschau

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Wow. I had the exact opposite reaction. I found W&M to be absolutely inspiring. Between the text on the new planes and the artwork, I think I have enough ideas for almost a dozen campaigns. I can't think of a recent D&D book that sparked my imagination more than W&M.

R&C, OTOH, was interesting, but not mind-blowing.

Huh. I got a few ideas from the racial descriptions. Not so much from the classes section, admittedly.

I've never been interested in the planar stuff in the abstract, Planescape was cool, but not that good for me. But again, that's just me.

Jack99

Adventurer
I will second our favorite vampiric rodent, W&M was absolutely superb, and very inspiring. I can't recommend it enough.

eleran

First Post
I have to agree with what others have said. I found R&C to be very informative, but it didn't inspire me as a DM the way W&M did. W&M sparked my imagination a little more than I was expecting.

Remove ads