• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

worlds and monsters is in my hands

Mr Jack

First Post
I am so glad to see the traditional spellcasting removed from dragons. Dragons have plentiful powers and abilities without having to mess around wading through spell lists in order to play them properly.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Mr Jack said:
I am so glad to see the traditional spellcasting removed from dragons.

I'm glad they are removing spell-like abilities from monsters, it never made sense to me that a monster should have Bigby's throbbing member or what have you as a natural ability and the party wizard also has it written down in a book.

Derren

Hero
Mr Jack said:
I am so glad to see the traditional spellcasting removed from dragons. Dragons have plentiful powers and abilities without having to mess around wading through spell lists in order to play them properly.

Imo this is not the case. Dragons have some melee attacks and a elemental attack which can be defended aginst rather easily by magic in 3E at least.

Also please answer me how dragons will be able to shape their lairs and place treps (alarm spells) without magic? How to they ward it against extraplanar intrusion? How do they keep an eye on adventurers and other important people in the area? How do they communicate with allies and spies? How do dragons without magic infiltrate human societies?

I have the feeling that WotC will give dragons only combat abilities and will completely ignore every non combat application spells gave them which reduces dragons to pure combat beasts. And this means that dragons can't perform many of the roles they performed in 3E (masterminds) unless you rule 0 that they simply have everything they need without explanation (unlogical) or rely heavily on minions (making the minions the real encounter, not the dragon).

Rechan

Adventurer
Derren said:
Also please answer me how dragons will be able to shape their lairs
With their breath weapon.

and place treps (alarm spells) without magic? How to they ward it against extraplanar intrusion? How do they keep an eye on adventurers and other important people in the area? How do they communicate with allies and spies? How do dragons without magic infiltrate human societies?
This is where "Making friends, allies and minions" comes in. It makes more sense than expecting the dragon to do everything. It's also harder for the dragon to do all that spying and networking when they sleep for years at a time.

If you want your dragon to do other stuff, add stuff to it. It's a baseline.

Last edited:

love all that I am reading, the new cosmology is a vast improvement as the new monster philosophy

as for dragons (or other monster) not able to be mastermind since they don't have spells.... well they could have dragon rituals :)

I mean every monster that is supposedly strong in magic could have access to magical rituals and what you like

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Derren said:
Also please answer me how dragons will be able to shape their lairs and place treps (alarm spells) without magic? How to they ward it against extraplanar intrusion? How do they keep an eye on adventurers and other important people in the area? How do they communicate with allies and spies? How do dragons without magic infiltrate human societies?

Take levels in wizard.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Quite like all I have heard and this sounds like something I would like to read.

Elemental giants = exactly what we have in our Kage campaign. In fact I have created a 20 level racial progression where giants start much like those in Monte Cooks (though in the rage/combat mode) and advance and grow through ceremonies. Also along the way they adapt to their environment/elements...thus at certain levels they gain abilities that steer them towards traditional fire, frost, stone, etc giants. This allowed us to have fire giants at low levels etc.

Anyone interested in this approach can download word version from website: http://home.austarnet.com.au/connors1/Races Page.htm.

Last edited:

ObsidianCrane

First Post
Hmm the more I think about it the more I like this, it works a lot better for where I'm going with my campaign setting...

Does the book list the actual gods and their portfolios?

What does it say about the primordials and the gods?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads