• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

Max Rebo

First Post
Thanks for the thri-kreen suggestion, Jim. I havent read Region D yet but I should. My group is dying to know where the tarrassque will show up at but I dont quite know if they'll get to it.
Has anyone got to Region D? I have yet to hear of any exploits there or under the sea in K or L. I think it may be just too tempting to go though Region N.
Region F to G to H to D would get em there I suppose. But Ive been letting the group choose their own fate, so I'll entice them but if they dont bite, so be it. I find it more fun to DM if I can be surprised, too.

Garmin Slit-Throat, dwarven barbarian, was the ass-kickin-est fighter-type I ever seen. To be honest, I was bummed that he died. He was just one of those pure damage machines that balanced out the rogue and cleric. I always roll my critical hit rolls in front of the players for a more dramatic effect. That way they know Im not fudging the dice.

There was also Mogar, the minotaur, who travelled with the group for a while (we used the Savage Species monster advancement rules) all the way until they met Saraas the medusa. She turned him to stone. While not dead, he might as well be.
He died right before he met up with any of the members of the Broken Axe or Red Horn tribes. He was a member of the Broken Axe and it was going to be all role-playing encounters with those guys. But now its straight up brawling. Surprise.

My all time favorite death was in Region C, after the party had hunted down the hill giants as a favor to the Gnashing Fang tribe, they decided to hunt down Nardarik. They killed the dragon with no casualties (except for the goblin lackey that used to be the Norendithas Stoneshaper statue) but then went into the room with the mimic bookshelf. After celebrating how easy the dragon was (damn Garmin with his criticals) they were decimated by a bookshelf. It killed the groups wilder with a gluey tongue beatdown. Heh.

I found Region F works if the combat breaks down into swarms of minotaur reinforcements that hear the battles ensuing. Kind of like the goblin scenerio in B but WAY scarier.
Especially at my groups level 10.
I think next session they'll encounter the gyrosphinx. Anyone know any D&D-ish riddles I could use? It seems that the sphinx encounter demands one.

And one last question. Wheres the ideal spot for some slaad? I'm trying to squeeze all of my groups favorite beasties in and they like themselves those chaos frogs.

And thanks for checkin in on us WLD nerds, Jim. You made a very cool book.

pokedigimaniac

First Post
Google tends to have some good riddles - it's come in handy for the encounters where I've needed them.

My first take on slaad would be to stick them in the mine region - the one that has the formians and the xill, and oh yeah, the tarrasque. That way you can keep the chestburster idea going in there by having the derro be implanted by red slaad. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a whole slaad colony running there. :) They might even replace the formians, although I really like the idea of the formians and their captive queen in there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - the group that's met Argliss is cursing his apparent '+20 sense motive modifier.' :D A doppelganger's Detect Thoughts ability is so much fun.

We're still in region A and we had my party's first character death last night. The dice gods were frowning upon my party last night - fighters couldn't hit the side of a barn due to crappy rolls (one rolled 6 or 7 rolls below 5 in a row). The rogues spotted a metal box on a pedestal. The elven rogue missed his disble device check by 2, then really blew it on his retry and triggered the trap. After the trap was triggered (yellow mold pouring out of the box), he flipped the box open again. This time the yellow mold sucked the rest of his constitution out and left him dead and covered in yellow mold. The dwarven rogue who was also searching the room was less than impressed at his fellow rogue's clumsiness.

The Box claims another victim! That one killed one rogue in one group of mine (they headed there RIGHT after cleaning out the stirge nest, so he was already down like five CON) and damn near killed another rogue in the second group (down to 2 CON).

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
twofalls said:
I'm glad to see that folks are still getting excited about picking this phone book of a module up. We had a lot of fun with it, and still talk about going back in and doing some more adventuring.

I think the WLD is one of those products that, if you like the basic premise of Dungeons & Dragons (go into the maze, fight monsters, take their stuff), you just have to try.

It's just so...cool! :)

Crothian

First Post
DaveMage said:
I think the WLD is one of those products that, if you like the basic premise of Dungeons & Dragons (go into the maze, fight monsters, take their stuff), you just have to try.

It's just so...cool! :)

I agree. Heck, my one player who dispises dungeon crawls even wanted to go in this sucker. There is something fun and challenging to make this work, keepo the interest, and eventually get through it all.

jim pinto

First Post
Max Rebo said:
I found Region F works if the combat breaks down into swarms of minotaur reinforcements that hear the battles ensuing. Kind of like the goblin scenerio in B but WAY scarier.
Especially at my groups level 10. I think next session they'll encounter the gyrosphinx. Anyone know any D&D-ish riddles I could use? It seems that the sphinx encounter demands one.

And one last question. Wheres the ideal spot for some slaad? I'm trying to squeeze all of my groups favorite beasties in and they like themselves those chaos frogs.

And thanks for checkin in on us WLD nerds, Jim. You made a very cool book.

i told you, the worst thing about this project is i'll never get to play it. so, your nerdie posts are my way of vicariously joining your adventures.

:)

even if i've read the same story about region A 600 times, now.

but, despite the work, i'm really glad everyone likes this dungeon.

hats off (again) to all the people i thanked in the designer notes.

slaad ... region k. no doubt. toadie underlings to the dragon.

gith... region g. trapped with the glabrezu.

umber hulk... region f.... working with the medusa... or region k... as the leader of the salamanders.

carrion crawler.... anywhere but n. but i think A would be perfect (to mix it up), eating some squidies or orcs or kobolds or something.

displacer beast... region c or f.

yuan ti... also servants to the dragon j.

or enemies of the elves in h... fighting to take the tower. they worship the tree, and believe it to be THEIR god.

kuo-toa... j or l... preferably not in the dungeon at all, but its your game.

did i miss a creature?

riddle... didn't the sphinx offer a riddle on the legion of super heroes cartoon?

Last edited:

Max Rebo

First Post
jim, whats your beef with kuo-toa? its like one stole your prom date or something!
I like your ideas of where to put the slaad and yuan-ti.
I think the yuan-ti would add a combat element to H that would really change things up.
And giving Thorodin the slaad toadies make him a much more memorable encounter in K.
And the umber hulk in F does work well. Way ahead of you on that one.

I've been using carrion crawlers whenever the heroes stumble back into a room where complete carnage broke out.
They, for example, bartered a deal with Guk and the rebels, safely passing through their area unscathed. They, then, battered a deal with Gahrr'k, leader of the Gnashing Fang, to go and kill his hill giant enemies. When they returned to the Gnashing Fang grounds they found out that Guk only let them pass thinking they would kill off his hated enemies: the gnolls. The Gnashing Fang and rebel goblins were in a huge battle in C38 and they both thought the PC's had betrayed them. They had traded Gahrr'k Argliss' rod of wonder. When he tried to use it on them, he turned himself a foot tall! Kind of anti-climatic, but i rolled it, damn it.
Anyway, they stayed in one of the prison cells and awoke to carrion crawlers devouring the flesh on all the bodies. (Kind of a long winded story, I know, I know)

jim pinto

First Post
Max Rebo said:
jim, whats your beef with kuo-toa? its like one stole your prom date or something!

more like... prom date was the fish-on-top kind of mermaid.

hope everyone has a great holiday

let's see if the new year brings more WLD posts

peace

btw...

i'd love to read stories from people that DIDN'T start in A

Qwillion

First Post
Ok I am still waiting on d20zines to post my review (personal delays)

So in the last game, the fighter has a non-sleeping disease using some ravenloft rules, it is wonderful to watch him roleplay being dead tired. (exhasution + nightmare) he has the occasional hallucination, when it does not distract from game play, the best was the halls of flesh growing a face that was watching him.

The uber healing positive energy cleric has been gaining temporary hit points and strange warts and cysts he has a deep seeded fear that he will explode if he ever reaches double his hit points. He looked like a cornered rat when I double the amount of temporary hit points he gained from the day before and double that again the next day.

the true necromancer just takes hp damage but if he does not heal (with negative energy) it by the end of the day it becomes permanent hp loss, so that has weaked his (spell casting) a bit, so he has been relying on his undead cloaker he created.

In the middle of all this they fought Maddness. Maddnes pounded them until the arcane trickster started tossing sonic fireballs (rolling to twentys in a row for SR check) and the cleric stone shaped a mace from the wall (after cutting away the flesh) and then they cast magic weapon on the maces, which was then given to the fighter.

the uber healing cleric would have died the next round but alas the defeated it (after much role play and discussion with the dark naga they know it will come back.)

The party is currently in search of Longtail in the region using the true necromancer's weasal familar's scent abiltiy.

I am using this to lead them toward anguish.

The party is currently walking on egg shells as other players are waiting to hear about thier disease, and are concered about anguish have learned that it is a Chimera.

I plan to take a moment or three and write up a modifed Anguish, plus my advanced Maddness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads