• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

Hussar

Legend
Jim, while there is a problem with scattering Cylerbrai's ashes - True Res doesn't need a body and I'm sure Evalan would know his pedigree well enough to cast the spell - your other idea is great. There are, AFAIK, three factions of demons all trying to free the big whatsit. While they are all working together, the one that actually frees K will certainly win all sorts of bennies. I could see the three groups working at cross purposes, even making "mistakes" to make sure the other two don't get the axe first.

Could make for some serious fun. Gleb sends in a Succubus to try to charm the axe away, but Gwar, seeing that it might work, sends in Vrocks to snatch the Succubus and lead the party to him. Nasherbiz, not to be outdone, wastes the Vrocks and the Succubus and then lays his own trap. Cool. I'm liking it a lot.

Question though. Area G88 talks about the Infested Stream. Does that mean that the entire lava river is filled with Dretches or just the area near the demon's base? I kinda like the latter actually - lets me make random assaults on the party easier as bands of dretches pop out of the lava only to get slaughtered. Makes keeping tabs on the party pretty simple though.

Kafkonia

First Post
I just got the WLD in the post (inspired by reading page after page of this thread, and finding it on the cheap.) This thing looks monstrous -- and I haven't even gotten it out of the shrinkwrap yet! :)

It looks like it will be well into the summer before I even have a chance at running this, since we're about to start up a short homebrew game, but that just means I'll have more time to read it over and prep it.

If anyone's familiar with the gruesome anime Gantz, I'll be using a similar conceit to kick off the WLD. The characters have all died, or are pretty sure they died, and now they're being put through the ringer for the amusement of some preternatural being. I'm thinking I'll start them at level one, but if they have their hearts set on playing an LA+1 character I'll let them take one with a single NPC class level. Thoughts?

rvalle

First Post
Kafkonia said:
I just got the WLD in the post (inspired by reading page after page of this thread, and finding it on the cheap.) This thing looks monstrous -- and I haven't even gotten it out of the shrinkwrap yet! :)

It looks like it will be well into the summer before I even have a chance at running this, since we're about to start up a short homebrew game, but that just means I'll have more time to read it over and prep it.

If anyone's familiar with the gruesome anime Gantz, I'll be using a similar conceit to kick off the WLD. The characters have all died, or are pretty sure they died, and now they're being put through the ringer for the amusement of some preternatural being. I'm thinking I'll start them at level one, but if they have their hearts set on playing an LA+1 character I'll let them take one with a single NPC class level. Thoughts?

Cool idea! Mess with players minds right from the start. Brilliant!

I started my players at 2nd level and am glad I did. The first part is pretty deadly. I remember seeing some posts about dm's who killed 12 or so characters in Region A alone!!

Ummm, whats going to happen to your players that do 'die'?

rv

Traevanon

First Post
True res cannot res the truly sick or aged, so you can have Evalan tell the party that Cerlebrai is too weak to be True Rezzed.

Or you can have the Demons Soul Bind him or something, that is what I did. I have Glabshayy (a rogue type IMC) a scroll of Soul Bind and huge UMD.

By the way, the Glabshayy battle occurred in the 4-way intersection between rooms G78, G79 and G82. The party was rushing to attack while the bulk of the demons were distracted by the Children of the Light and the Celestial Garrison, and were down many spells.

It wound up with a sort of pre-battle against several vrocks and a succubus, about the time that battle subsided, Glabshayy arrived with two Marilith overlords and things turned grim for the party. Glabshayy was somewhat ineffective, due to most of the party being immune to his sneak attacks (Kelvezu MM2), but he did constantly greater dispel them so that the Mariliths could be more effective.

Blade Barrier at will is grim. Especially in a long 4-way corridor. Mariliths have this power which, when combined with high spell resistance and confined quarters, produces a bad state of affairs for the party.

Ultimately the party members had to retreat toward Glabshayy's throne room where the Flame of Aranas was being kept. Then everything turned upside down as the Anti-gravity trap went off. I made this a bit grimmer by having built in 5d6 spikes on the cieling. A lucky crit from the Orc took down Glabshayy on an opportunity attack...

All in all it was a great battle. I think that the Orc's player Joe will remember it for a long time.

Now the party is heading into Region N, though I'm still a bit confused over who has what pieces of the puzzle to lock down the World Eater.

I've told the party that they have to enter the World Eater's chamber and discharge four ward staves (they only have three) on the forcefield to recharge it (an on the fly call, I didnt know they were headed to N today). Hopefully that doesnt screw things up too bad storywise. The world eater will probably already be broken free by the time they get there anyhow.

Kafkonia

First Post
rvalle said:
Ummm, whats going to happen to your players that do 'die'?

rv

If they die in the WLD, you mean, since they (think they've) already died outside? I'll be treating it as a normal death -- raise dead and reincarnate possibilites, *if* they have the appropriate spells/allies.

If they want to bring in a new character instead, they can do so -- following the guidelines in the DMG (ie one level behind the avg party level.) I'll be handling the introduction of the new characters fairly simply -- the Gantz-knockoff brought a new "player" into the "game" for his entertainment.

(If you don't know Gantz, the closest comparison might be Saw.)

My players know in advance this can be something of a meatgrinder, and I'm going to be making them roll up their characters.*eg*

Xiag

First Post
Not wanting to be left out, here's my groups accounting for their first night in the WLD:

The party entered the dungeon and carefully scouted the first room. After finding nothing of interest, they opened the door to the north and heard a cough come from their right. The fighter threw caution to the wind and charged straight at the source of the noise. The rest of the party followed close behind.

Before the orcs could react, the bard shot one (critical hit), and dropped him. The others, now outnumbered 3 to 1, dropped their weapons and accepted whatever fate was to befall them. The wizard and druid both chastised the party for attacking something that couldn’t harm us, and began trying to talk to the remaining orcs. They got some basic info out of the orcs, and left some food for them. They then headed directly to the trapped door to push deeper into the dungeon.

With no rogue in the party (yeah, I’m a bit worried about that to), they got caught in the trap. The orcs chuckled, but most of the party pushed on. The fighter who originally led the charge stayed behind to make sure the orcs didn’t follow. Which he did…by killing them, no one else in the party knew this.

They found the secret door to the room full of dead lizards and kobolds. The fighter was able to withstand the stench, but the gnome wizard who went in with him rolled a 1 on the check. So, I had him retching from the stench, and had to make a second fort check to regain composure and get out of the room.

They went through the north door, (not having found the other secret door yet), and found the moldy crates, etc. Immediately they marched up to them and started ripping them open, releasing the black mold. Everyone made their saves, but they became a bit more cautious with the rest. They tied an iron spike to a rope, and began tossing it at the sacks and crates breaking them open and releasing the spores from a distance, planning to search the crates after it was safe.

And then everything went black. All the noise had attracted two dark mantles. Here’s where we came up with an inventive way to handle the darkness. I have a rather large cylinder, about exactly the same area as a darkness spell. We put it down over the area, everyone in the darkness tells me what they’re doing, and then we lift the cylinder up and see if they run into each other, or if they’re attacking their friends, etc. Amazingly, all accidental damage occurred outside the darkness.

The dwarf fighter took 6 points of damage from the first attack, and managed to pull it off his face. He lost control of it the next round and it flew back into the darkness. The other fighter caught the second one full in the face (5 pts), and stumbled backwards out of the darkness.

The druid tried to help the fighter by stabbing it with her dagger. She rolled a 2, (I ruled 1 or 2 would hit him instead), so she nicked him for 2 pts.

The one in the darkness had now glommed on to the bard, and dropped him (took him down to -1). The druid went to help, and …. rolled a 1 again. So, now he’s down to -6. The mage tried to kick it (also rolled a 1, but only 1 damage) -7. The fighter who had just pulled the squid of his face had it fly back into the darkness, took his chance to remove the one from the now unconscious bard. (It took 6 pts of damage). The wounded mantle began fleeing down the hall, and the other one flew at the dwarf, which rolled a critical hit with his axe. The darkness dropped, and the human fighter charged the fleeing darkmantle and managed to take it out with out any more damage. The druid healed the bard, and the wizard decided to finish mapping the room. He poked his head around a corner, and found the acid arrow trap. Thankfully some people made their listen check, and managed to pull him back.

With everyone taking so much of a beating from an encounter and trap, they decided to rest here. During which time they experienced two tremors, and heard the acid arrow trap go off again.

When they went to investigate, they found the body of one of the orcs from the first room. (Started going with the zombie scenario, but they haven’t figured that out yet). The acid trap finished him off. The staked a board from the crates to the wall to block any more arrows coming down the hall at them, and made their way towards the south door. They found the stone working tools and took a couple, just in case. They then found the secret door (since the knew the orc had to get here somehow), and thanks to some chalk marks the druid had been leaving, figured out that they had made a circle (even though the map wasn’t quite to scale originally).

Deciding it isn’t worth facing the firetrap again, they decide to brave the morgue again. Most of the party makes it through with little problem. The mage starts retching, again (I might give him a disorder because he rolled a 1 both times). Since the bard wasn’t having a problem with the smell, he decided to search the bodies, and found a lovely case of filth fever.

Making their way back into the second room, they find another orc dead at the firetrap with a squid around his head.

Continuing on to the door to the east (north of the two) they head in. Search the room and the corpse within, then push into the next room. At this point they’ve started checking the ceilings. A search from the door way had the wizard spot the darkmantle. The bard and dwarf take up positions in the door planning to drop it with their bows.

Initiative went Dwarf, Darkmantle, Bard. The dwarf forgot to load his crossbow (rolled a 1), the darkmantle darkened the doorway, and the bard missed with his shot.

The dwarf charged in to push through the darkness, the darkmantle missed him, and hit the floor where he was standing. The human fighter, missed with his attacks. The mantle flew up at the human fighter and missed, but the fighter took another attack next round, and missed himself. The darkmantle flew back at the human, missed, and as it came by, he swung and critically hit it. With the way clear, they took a breather, since it wasn’t as bad as last time, then pushed on.

They listened at the next door, and heard the rats scurrying about. They prepared some flaming oil and peeked in. They saw the large rat watching them from the door across the room. Lobbing some flaming oil at it, it turned and ran. The fighter tried to leap the flames and… failed. Horribly. Luckily the only damage was some minor burns, a singed bed roll, and a little less pride.

The fire burnt out and they rounded the corner. This time, the lob was a critical hit, and it did enough damage to everything to kill the large rat, and scatter the remaining swarm. The continued mapping up to the orc latrine, and there’s where we finished for the night.

erucsbo

Explorer
Region E under flux

Looks like my first post disappeared in the crash. C'est la vie.

Party of 8 characters, now level 7, currently in Region E (I started the WLD partway through a campaign, so everything is scaled up and levels are harder to come by until they hit equilibrium in a later section).

Anyway - the party has encountered and now wiped out Morat's pack (after many hard battles), encountered the Inevitables (after one of the party shot and killed the region's nominal lantern archon after mistaking it for a Will-o-wisp), encountered and spent time with the Celestials recovering between fights, recovered 3 of the 4 ward staves plus the All-door, and have had the odd encounter with the Shadow Mastiffs and Shadows.

I'm trying to get them to think seriously before assuming that "kill all the bad guys" is the best solution (they killed Farggalaan before trying to talk to him, as well as the barghests [who initiated negotiations after some brutal encounters]). They have now killed Phinadar as well, so the Shadows are without a door opener (or so they think).

I told them through multiple encounters (Morat's dying words, Besar, Iridinhael and now Seraxes) that their actions had consequences.

And I hope that none of my players are lurking in the background (too bad if they are).

Morat's pack, plus the wandering celestial patrols had been keeping doors shut.
Morat's pack had also been keeping Sarraas' pack bottled up.
The party had a big battle where they finished off Morat then upon seeing 6 more barghests in another room and being down on spells / hit points, decided to high-tail it back to the Celestials' area to rest for 8 hours. A side adventure by 4 characters (only had half show up for a session) investigating Serenneth's area had them find Iridinhael, recover a ward staff, but have the secret door in to E11 discovered by shadows, so they killed Phinadar and some shadows then closed the door (not before Seraxes found them) thinking that the shadows would now be powerless to open it.

However - during the 8 hour downtime Sarraas' pack have been able to explore Morat's area and "feed" on the corpses left there [before anyone quibbles about them needing to slay their opponents and those opponents needing to the humaniod, I'm the DM, the barghests are only to be found in this area, I want to creep the party out a bit, and reinforce the "their actions have consequences" angle - plus it will help scaling up the encounters]. They also left doors open (not being cognisant of the shadow threat).

This let the shadows roam and encounter the barghests.
Now Seraxes will have some barghests (lesser) separated from the rest of their pack and closely guarded and force them to be door openers.
Sarraas' pack - now being mostly greater barghests, feel that they are strong enough to take it to the Inevitables (and possibly the neighbouring minotaurs) and the party will probably be going for the garrison charter next (enough blatant hints have been given) which will put them right in the middle of the two.

My only quandry is whether to have any "shadow barghests" as a result of the shadows having encountered the barghests (and has anyone worked out what the resultant creature would be?)

nb - I am not as bloodthirsty and adversarial as some DMs that I've seen post on the boards and generally don't try and kill off PCs. I want the game to be enjoyable for the players, but not a walk in the park either, so any other suggestions people want to offer will be duly considered.

pokedigimaniac

First Post
If you really want to be rules-picky, there's a template somewhere called "Shadow Creature." It's not incorporeal, so I feel that it's not really a good amalgam of a shadow. If you went ahead and made 'shadow barghests,' I'm sure nobody would call foul. If you want, give them two 'claw' attacks, dealing 1d4 STR damage each, rather than the one 1d6 STR drain. You're the DM, after all. Shame your players are on a 'kill stuff and loot their corpses' crusade. You seem to be doing a good job of showing them that their actions have consequences. Another possible idea, if they decide to go hare off and try to smack the inevitables, they can always get pressganged into the Redeemed. :)

Remember, there's no need to be defensive - nobody here is going to say 'no, you did that wrong.' Improvise and make stuff interesting. That's key. For example, when my party fought Seraxes for the final time (he was a major foe for my party), I decided to tweak a few things, and put two additions into the encounter - an ogre shadow (not really by the rules either, huh? I just made it a large shadow and had it do 1d6+1 STR damage) that scared the bejeezus out of them when it squeezed through the southern door, and Sensil herself (the dead ghaele, Doj's mate) as an advanced shadow with a few more hit dice. Definitely not rules as written, but it made the encounter more memorable. So I say, if you think it'll make the game more fun/interesting, go for it.

Good luck!

erucsbo

Explorer
interesting concept on making Sensil a shadow.
Would a shadow be able to be recognised as their pre-shadow self?
I think I'll play on that one a bit.

I don't really want them fighting the Inevitables, 1 - because it is possible (unless I Deus Ex Machina) that they might win, or at least do significant damage to the garrison, and 2 - because interaction with the Redeemed isn't likely to add to the object lesson (they'd see it as an opportunity for some quick kills and loot any items they may have). There is only 1 player who I regard as having a strong moral slant to their gaming style and he will be returning to the gaming group next session (fingers crossed) after having been interstate for a number of years, so I'm hoping that he can start to sway party choices away from being purely pragmatic (he is playing the cleric, and the player has previously quit another gaming group I was DMing more than 10 years ago because of character alignment issues [and I stopped with them soon after] - off topic from here as it isn't WLD, but if enough people want the details of how badly a party can deal with a moral dilemma I'll post it).

Hussar

Legend
Interesting stuff.

Had a bit of a thought on how to deal with a TPK in the WLD. Inspired by an article in Dragon as well as one of my favourite games - Bloodbowl.

If the time comes when the party buys it, they will find themselves in a large arena facing X number of previously slain baddies. (Probably enough on both sides to make a decent football team, or at least a soccer team. :) ) In the middle will be a ball. The first team to make 3 goals wins. The ball moves 1 square for every 5 (or maybe 10) damage done to it. Cross into the other end's goal line and score. Other than that, no real rules.

Anyone killed during a "play" is brought back to full health in the next one. A play constitutes a placing of the ball at the center to whenever someone scores. So, if one team decimates another team during one drive, it doesn't really matter since they will all be back to full in the next drive. Give a one minute prep time for the team before each play to allow for buffing and whatnot.

In game justification is this: The Dungeon allows no extra planar travel. I have interpreted this to mean that the Dungeon is chockablock with ghosts. The Dungeon itself is somewhat sentient and has set this up to test potential inmates. The winners of games are reincarnated somewhere else in the Dungeon (appropriate to their level). This is why the Dungeon remains so static. Even if you completely kill everything in there, a couple of weeks later, everything is back to where it started.

So, every time the party loses a game, it loses a level. When it wins, the party is res'd somewhere in the Dungeon appropriate to its new level. Maybe the level they just left, or maybe another region. Advance the time line a couple of weeks, have the players extrude from the walls and they are good to go. If people want to play something new, that's cool, just change characters - maybe something funky happened during the rebuilding by the Dungeon.

Whatcha think?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads