• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

erucsbo

Explorer
Region J fear effect

I have a paladin in the party. From the SRD
"Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead."
From Region J (re. Tyrus' presence)
"Since this Region's theme is despair the PCs are always shaken while they remain in Region J. If they become shaken again, they become frightened and so on."
The frightful presence of Dragons normally allows a saving throw (will)

Should I allow the paladin to be immune?
Should I allow those within 10' to get a saving throw (even if they need a 20 or something else similarly high) to avoid being shaken?

erucsbo

Explorer
oh - and where is the crack in to J72?
It isn't obvious on the map, and the description does not suggest that the entrance is the passage to N that is talked about in the introduction to J.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
erucsbo said:
Region J fear effect

I have a paladin in the party. From the SRD
"Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead."
From Region J (re. Tyrus' presence)
"Since this Region's theme is despair the PCs are always shaken while they remain in Region J. If they become shaken again, they become frightened and so on."
The frightful presence of Dragons normally allows a saving throw (will)

Should I allow the paladin to be immune?
Should I allow those within 10' to get a saving throw (even if they need a 20 or something else similarly high) to avoid being shaken?

Without the book in front of me, I'd rule the paladin is not affected, but the others are since there is no save.

DItheringFool

First Post
Just saw this...I'm playing a Favored Soul/Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge in a group that more or less just started (we're still in the first map).

We're a bunch of diehard old guys that have tons of money and lots of memories. We're not switching to 4e any time soon. Especially since we only play once a month! At our current pace we'll be at this for years and years.

Hussar

Legend
I let the paladin be immune IMC.

To be honest, I chucked the whole fear thing wholesale. I mean, jeez, J is TOUGH. Whacking everyone with a Shaken condition on top is just asking for more death and destruction.

erucsbo

Explorer
thanks for the feedback.
Given that the party is level 10 (except for 1 character who is level 9), I let the paladin be immune and gave everyone else a Will save DC 27 (which the Mystic Theurge made).
Had the shaken state last for most of the time that the party moved south along the River of Lava while the icewall imprisoning Tyrus towered over them on their left.
Some scouting revealed the giants tossing boulders at the magmin, and the other one stacking iron ore.
The dwarven eldritch knight decided to try and lure the two boulder throwing giants in to an ambush. He headed south, said hello to them and as the encounter conditions indicated Hostile, I had them give each other a nudge and start lobbing rocks at the dwarf - who promptly turned and ran. The dwarf had stoneskin on, as well as expeditious retreat, so felt confident he could survive a few hits if they connected with a thrown boulder.
The giants followed, but still lobbed boulders from a distance - frustrating the party who were waiting for the giants to close. Greater invisibility had been cast on the rogue, and Haste on the party, and the clock was ticking down.
The dwarf finally moved so there wasn't direct line of sight and the giants then rolled in, spotting the other party members and getting ready for some clobbering. Indeed the giants did manage to land a few choice blows, but with the invisible rogue doing sneak attack damage, and the fighter getting a crit on one hit, and the paladin getting a crit with a smite, and the cleric catching both giants with an ice storm, and the sorcerer sucessfully "slow"ing one of them, the giants fell.
Feeling pretty good the party then decided to go for the other giant that they had seen - the one stacking iron ore.
The dwarf rushed ahead, not bothering to try and talk (which might have changed the entire complexion of the encounter).
Smack - the dwarf does a critical with the axe.
Smack - the giant hits back - 6d6+16 with an iron bar, twice - does 69 HP damage to the dwarf after the 20 points had been taken off the stoneskin, and uses his last attack to ring a big iron triangle that I had set up to be used if the giant needed to summon help to shift the ore.
As some of the party were still out in the passage looking out for others they were spotted by an Azer slave who had been sent to see what the giant needed - and the Azer then turned tail and ran back behind cover.
The dwarf and fighter dropped the giant and we finished for the evening.
The players though, know now that they are going to need all the healing that they have and more in order to be able to cope going toe-to-toe with the giants if the fighting continues.
With the boulder throwing giants gone, and the alarm raised it will stir things up a lot, and I'll see if I can crank up the heat on the party with magmin advancing from the lava and Azers getting involved while the giants are distracted.

raynbow

First Post
Hey guys, I'm walking through Area B, and I'm a bit confused by Room B12.

The whole description of the room just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm especially confused about the whole 'groove' thing? I can't picture what in the world they mean by a groove with a 6 inch floor? Six inches thick? Six inches wide? And why does the trap have to be disabled for them to use the groove? I just don't understand it at all? The description makes it sound like the trap has already been set off, but if it has, why does it still have to be disabled?

Also, where does the bridge extend from? I can't make much sense of that either. Is it from that little lip by the south door straight across (east/west)? If so, it doesn't really take them to the other door? To they have to make the balance check to get to the west door from the bridge?

Or are there supposed to be slightly wider/safer ledges running up the north and south walls? That's sort of how it looks on the map,but there's nothing in the room description that suggests that.

Totally confused here and could really use help visualizing or re-writing the room if anyone can assist.

erucsbo

Explorer
raynbow said:
Hey guys, I'm walking through Area B, and I'm a bit confused by Room B12.

The whole description of the room just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm especially confused about the whole 'groove' thing? I can't picture what in the world they mean by a groove with a 6 inch floor? Six inches thick? Six inches wide? And why does the trap have to be disabled for them to use the groove? I just don't understand it at all? The description makes it sound like the trap has already been set off, but if it has, why does it still have to be disabled?

Also, where does the bridge extend from? I can't make much sense of that either. Is it from that little lip by the south door straight across (east/west)? If so, it doesn't really take them to the other door? To they have to make the balance check to get to the west door from the bridge?

Or are there supposed to be slightly wider/safer ledges running up the north and south walls? That's sort of how it looks on the map,but there's nothing in the room description that suggests that.

Totally confused here and could really use help visualizing or re-writing the room if anyone can assist.

try this.

The room - if all the traps were working - would have a ledge around the room, then a 5' drop to a floor. Anyone dropping from the ledge down to the floor would trigger the trap, causing the floor to retract, dumping the person in the pit. A mechanism that extends a bridge across the pit allowed people to cross the room without having to jump down to the floor and thus triggering the trap.

But it's broken.

The bridge doesn't work now, and the floor trap is stuck open.

If noticed, the party can fix the floor trap - making the 6" thick floor come out from the groove and cover the pit. Then with a 2nd check the floor trap can be disabled so that it can be walked on without triggering the floor trap to retract back in to the groove.

Otherwise the party can try and trigger the bridge mechanism - which doesn't work properly as it does not extend the bridge all the way across the pit, then "fix" the bridge with a successful disable device check - essentially breaking the mechanism so that the bridge can not be retracted and springs back out to its full length.

Hope that helps

raynbow

First Post
That helps some, I'm still a bit confused as to where the bridge is, and how they get to it from the west side (which is where my party is coming in).

I'll fake it :)

Remove ads