• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worlds & Monsters -- I has it, too!

Incenjucar

Legend
Steely Dan said:
Funnily enough, in my 20 years of DMing, lizard men have never been encountered.

And while I am totally digging what I'm hearing about 4th Ed, dragonborn will not be making an appearance in my campaign worlds…

My 2E lizardman paladin with the frost tongue trident, Ice Bite, harumphs in your general direction.

frankthedm

First Post
Reaper Steve said:
As you can guess, I think it's great! I think it is the image that best personifies that the Feywild is not happy Faerie.
Yep... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/2180348827_f3144d75cf.jpg

http://ddmspoilers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1138

The Oni has a notable resemblance to a Rankin bass Goblin. Good to see that the name is no longer the localized "Ogre mage"...

The Other elemental archons Look as to be expected. The air is wielding a spikedchain... :\

The Hydra is definitly a nod to Harryhousin. TBH if they are going to keep it a pathetic speed of 20, it probably should not be a quadruped.

The Vrock looks cool though the posture is a "Doing all I can to fit on my base" squat. It no longer has any chitinous bio armor as the vrock had here. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/alumni_vrock_3rd.jpg

frankthedm said:
The Oni has a notable resemblance to a Rankin bass Goblin. Good to see that the name is no longer the localized "Ogre mage"...
That's actually a change I'll agree with, since it was always apparent that the Ogre Mage was based on the Japanese Oni. And it would be annoying to be introduced to a new monster named "Oni" like they did in previous editions with OA or the Kara-Tur Monstrous Compendium, when there already was the Ogre Mage around. And also it keeps the confusion away from an Ogre with wizard class levels or something like that.

Ander00

First Post
Seeing the Oni picture side by side with the current illustration for the Ogre Mage, I can't help but be reminded of a somewhat mean-spirited 'motivational' poster about Reynolds, England and how the latter wishes he'd be the former while crying himself to sleep.
I'd even say it looks like one of his better pieces, but then again the Oni's pose is quite similar to the Ogre Mage's, so it's not like there was much of a chance to screw up the perspective and proportions completely, and there's plenty of similarities between their 'armors' as well.

Also still hoping that the concept piece on William O'Connor's site is actually the new look for the wyvern, even though this one's certainly an improvement over the current one. Overall, nothing new, still a lot more psyched about 4E mechanics than its look and feel.

cheers

Last edited:

ObsidianCrane

First Post
frankthedm said:
The Other elemental archons Look as to be expected. The air is wielding a spikedchain... :\

What's with the Juggernaut ..oh sorry the Earth Archon?

But as the person who posted them noted they look like DDM scketches - and the Angel is already a mini in Desolation...

I probably like the Death Knight the best.

And the Mountain Giant is very interesting, a big divergence from the past giants.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads