• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst miniature paint job evAr! Get it off the table!

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
Actually, our table rules were developed by the players...

And this is the part that alot of people seem to be blatantly ignoring for the sake of supplanting their own preferences.

Emirikol said:
Is it really too much to ask that players bring a book, character sheet, dice and a freakin' mini?

No not at all. But apparently to some people it is. Personally, I would have either not played with your group, made the effort to paint the mini no matter how bad at it was OR handed it over to another player to paint it for me. I really don't see those options as entirely unreasonable. A fair amount of the responders keep ignoring the fact that this was a table rule developed by the PLAYERS of that table. If a lone player can't deal with that then he/ she should probably walk.

I still don't see why people cant see that it's really that simple as opposed to hanging around and basically acting like a child.

IcyCool

First Post
Emirikol said:
There's actually an ulterior experiment to this post..and it's confirming my hypothesis about DM support.

Well if that's all you were looking for, just refer to this handy-dandy rule-of-thumb:

1. When posting a scenario involving DM/player trouble on EnWorld, a majority of the responses will have little to do with the topic, and everything to do with how terrible the DM is.

Edit - There are a lot of folks here that side with the players, sort of an "innocent until proven guilty" idea in a medium where you can't prove guilt (as such, I tend to side with the GM). On nearly every other topic, most EnWorlders show me that they are rational thinkers and excellent problem solvers. But when this sort of topic comes up, I take most of what is said with a huge grain of salt. YMMV.

Last edited:

sjmiller

Explorer
Emirikol said:
We have a table rule (made by the group) that everyone have a real miniature that stands up and is painted.
I guess the first thing I would have to ask is if he was one of the people who was there when this policy was agreed upon? I ask because if he wasn't, then he had no real say in the whole matter, which is a tad unfair to him if he states he can't paint miniatures. I can't paint them, but that is entirely because of health issues, and I would not be able to be at your game table if people were painting, but that is not his issue.

Emirikol said:
Was I wrong to ask him to take it off the table? At what point does a DM need to do this? Do you guys have rules like that? Is the guy just being an idiot to push the groups' buttons?
I personally think you were wrong to ask him to take his figure off the table. If the problem was that it could not stand, well a quick file job should do the trick. If it is because of the paint job, then it is really unfair. Your rule said it had to be painted, not that it had to be painted well or to suit your taste. I personally do not have rules about what you use to represent yourself in the game. If I am running a game that uses figures, you can use anything as long as it fits in the same area your figure is supposed to occupy. Heck, right now I have players using dice to represent their mounts, a Yoda figure to represent a monkey familiar, and some cardboard counters to represent a couple of characters. It's not a big deal, at least to me.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
IcyCool said:
Well if that's all you were looking for, just refer to this handy-dandy rule-of-thumb:

1. When posting a scenario involving DM/player trouble on EnWorld, a majority of the responses will have little to do with the topic, and everything to do with how terrible the DM is.

I wish that this was actually joke, but nope...that's pretty accurate.

Ry

Explorer
Sounds like the guy isn't acting with respect for what the other players and GM want to get out of the game. That, and an unwillingness to communicate what you want or evasiveness about what you're willing to accept, would get someone kicked from my game (and not by me - the players would do it even if I kept my mouth shut).

It seems to me that everyone involved was acting pretty unreasonably...

Having a rule that everyone must have a miniature painted to resemble their character seems unreasonable.
Rebelling against that rule by painting a miniature in a lewd manner seems unreasonable.
Ostracising and ridiculing the rebellious player seems unreasonable.

Later
silver

Dragonbait

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
...That sounds hilarious, like something right out of the Big Liebowski. Are you sure you aren't putting us on?

Emirikol said:
There's actually an ulterior experiment to this post..and it's confirming my hypothesis about DM support.

Congratulations, Garnfellow, you deserve a banana!

BryonD

Hero
Michael Silverbane said:
It seems to me that everyone involved was acting pretty unreasonably...

Having a rule that everyone must have a miniature painted to resemble their character seems unreasonable.
Rebelling against that rule by painting a miniature in a lewd manner seems unreasonable.
Ostracising and ridiculing the rebellious player seems unreasonable.

Later
silver
I pretty much agree.
If everyone agreed to bring a mini that would be cool.
But forcing someone to do it is absurd.
It sounds like a simple mis-matched group issue. Which can be resolved in a much more mature and polite manner from both sides, if anyone bothers to try.

And this "I bust my butt DMing so you must show your devotion via mini" thing is just nuts.
The net total debt incurred by players for 100 hours of DM prep is exactly zero.
Do a good job of DMing and the players will reward you by being good players because they want to keep having fun. But they don't owe anyone jack.
I bust my butt DMing all the time. My players don't owe my jack.
I bust my butt at it because I enjoy it and find it rewarding.
If I didn't, I'd quit.
Anyone who thinks they are owed anything for their DM work should either re-think that or re-think DMing.

BryonD

Hero
IcyCool said:
1. When posting a scenario involving DM/player trouble on EnWorld, a majority of the responses will have little to do with the topic, and everything to do with how terrible the DM is.[/i]
But that is a self fullfilling thing.

When the DM is doing a good job there is a lot less chance that there will be DM/player trouble to discuss on ENWorld.

Yeah, there are exceptions, but those are also exceptions to your claim, so it works out.

Emirikol

Adventurer
sjmiller said:
I personally think you were wrong to ask him to take his figure off the table.

Really? :p Did you see the picture of that thing? That's essentially what it looked like. As a DM, i woudl be insulting my players if I stuck a Barney doll out there for the climax encounter red dragon to the campaign. I'd expect the same respect from my players. I have broken that rule however, I've stuck ducks and kiddie octopi out there. But I'm not doing that every game or just to piss off players. We actually have a stockpile of mini's for players to use when necessary..because sometimes PC's die (and more often in my campaign since I went to the weeda school of evil DMing).

YOu guys dont' really see that as insulting to the DM and the other players? You think we should let one inmate run the asylum when the group decided otherwise?

jh

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads