• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Worst Multiclass Challenge

tglassy

Adventurer
This would take 11 levels just to gain 1 level in each class. Any cantrips would scale for character level damage for 11th-level (not-so-bad) but no ASIs would have been achieved since those are tied to class level.

The proficiency bonus would have reached +4, but the most ASI bumps you could gain from level 11 on would need to be constrained to Fighter (at class levels 4, 6, and 8) or Rogue (class levels 4, 8, and 10), so three ability bump-ups would be the most you'd get by level 20.

This every-class combination is like one of those movies so bad that it becomes a cult classic (Ed Wood movies, anyone?).

So, you know what? Someone should make this happen as a convention challenge event.

Every PC starts with these 11 levels, then gets to add 3 more levels in a single class to gain one ASI. Then the adventure would start.

I love it. i'm doing it. I'm going to make a character with a level in every class and play him the next time I can, even if I have to start at level 1. I imagine it actually wouldn't be that bad. But I think I'd have to start with Bard, because this is a true Jack of All Trades.

I happen to love multiclasses, and I happen to love taking things that supposedly don't work together, and make them interesting.

So give me a multiclass combination that you believe kills the character, and I'll try to create a character that changes your mind.

I believe Paladin X/Druid 1 is always worse than Paladin X+1.

Heavy Armor focused paladin and a barbarian (or monk)? Lots of terrible synergy....

Actually, Paladin 1/Death Monk 6 (aiming for Paladin of Devotion 6/Death Monk 12/Warlock 2) is terrific. You wind up with all the fun parts of Death Monk (unkillability and awesome saves plus Stunning Strike and ki bonus actions), most of the fun parts of Paladin (awesome bonus action spells and saving throw aura plus high AC), a ranged attack to cover the paladin's weak spots (ranged combat), better physical control options than a typical monk (grapple/prone works better with high Str), and you're not as MAD as you might expect. (Str, Wis, Cha, and some Dex; but Cha is the only one you really need to max)

In many ways this is better than a pure Paladin or a pure Monk. Monk weapons and unarmed combat is kind of a trap, from the in-combat perspective.

Shadow Monks are still way better at scouting though.

dagger

Adventurer
Actually, Paladin 1/Death Monk 6 (aiming for Paladin of Devotion 6/Death Monk 12/Warlock 2) is terrific. You wind up with all the fun parts of Death Monk (unkillability and awesome saves plus Stunning Strike and ki bonus actions), most of the fun parts of Paladin (awesome bonus action spells and saving throw aura plus high AC), a ranged attack to cover the paladin's weak spots (ranged combat), better physical control options than a typical monk (grapple/prone works better with high Str), and you're not as MAD as you might expect. (Str, Wis, Cha, and some Dex; but Cha is the only one you really need to max)

In many ways this is better than a pure Paladin or a pure Monk. Monk weapons and unarmed combat is kind of a trap, from the in-combat perspective.

Shadow Monks are still way better at scouting though.

I cant even fail at failing. :(

ccooke

Adventurer
So, is it time to point to this again?

I'm not sure you can actually ruin a character with multiclassing unless you find some strange esoterc anti-synergy to exploit. I would certainly play the every-class trope, if it fit a game. It would be interesting at the very least.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Maybe a Ranger/Paladin or a Barbarian/Rogue? Basically the same problem here-- your classes are trying to make you use very different weapons and fighting styles and the class abilities directly counter one another.

But, really, I wonder if mixing together any of the primarily spell-casting classes (including Cleric and Bard) would net you with any sort of positive results. At least with the martial classes, for the most part their interesting abilities are all picked up before level 10 and what comes later is mostly just improvements to those abilities and one "super" ability at high levels (usually daily-use).

But with spell-casting classes, your best stuff comes the higher and higher your spell-level goes.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
That's not unpossible.To qualify for all those Multiclasses you would need standard Human. (14, 14, 14, 13, 13, 13)
Barbarian Unarmed Defense, Rage, Fighting Style - Dueling, Monk Martial Arts,Sneak Attack
Using a Shortsword, you can rage and deal 2d6+6, and then in subsequent turns deal another 1d4+4 unarmed attack.
And then you've got 6 spell slots and a crazy amount of prepared level spells, including a lot of reaction ones.

If I were going Barbarian/Wizard

Start as a Barbarian, proficiency in Constitution saves and medium armor. Martial weapons.
School of Abjuration, those temporary hitpoints become twice as good while raging.

Several spells do not require concentration:
Mirror Image, Animate Dead, False Life, Blink, Fire Shield, Mordenkainen's Hound, Tenser's Floating Disk

(Place the Hound on top of the Disk :cool:)

The more I think about it, I've got a feeling the resistance to nearly all damage combined with constant Temporary hitpoint generation might make a DM lose his shlt.
I'm pretty sure Arcane Ward is not considered damage to you and as such it does not benefit from resistances. I think this was stated in sage advice or something somewhere, but I don't have it off the top of my head. Sorry.

(edit: Yup, just checked. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_july2015)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads