• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Race?

Which is thw worst of the PHB races

• Dragonborn

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Eldarin

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • Elf

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 146 43.1%
  • Halfling

Votes: 33 9.7%
  • Human

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 73 21.5%

Masquerade

First Post
I would say Tiefling. Fire resistance is too conditional and Infernal Wrath is no Elven Accuracy.

Personally, I like the Half-Elf. Much improved from its 3.5 version.

rkanodia

First Post
Cadfan said:
Or fights with a wand in one hand, and a sword in the other. Worth it if you're serious about multiclassing enough to pick up the encounter power swap, and maybe the daily power swap.
This is doable, but it comes at a cost beyond that of the feats/class abilities; namely, you're giving up the +1 AC/+1 Ref that a typical Warlord gets from his shield.

An artful dodger rogue might be able to pull off that stunt and not give anything up by grabbing a wand or rod and some Warlock powers. But again, that is a case of specifically finding a compatible combination of stats and tools. You can't just say, "You know, my 16th-level Class X has decided that he wants to be more like Class Y, so he's going to take some multiclass feats" and expect to come up with something good, or even average.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I don't like the Half-Elf primarily because their racial traits don't make any sense. +2 Con? Where the hell did that come from? And on top of that, they got one of those lousy, "aura" like +1 skill for allies abilities, which I really don't like for several reasons. The dilettente feature is also really odd. I can see why they'd be given a very flexible feature, but why does it have to be an ability from another class? I think a bonus feat or skill would have made more sense, and been more in line with their human heritage. Instead of creating a race that really feels like a half human, half elf, what they came up with feels to me like a very bizarre and contrived race.

kennew142

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I don't like the Half-Elf primarily because their racial traits don't make any sense. +2 Con? Where the hell did that come from?

Hybrid vigor?

I hate half-elves for the same reason I hate half-orcs and half-dragons. I don't allow them in my homebrew games.

Wik

First Post
Y'know, I like the half-elf. When I first read over the races, I thought - "Finally, they've made half-elves playable again! And I love the idea of a group diplomacy boost. That's nice. And they have feats that give boosts to other skills, as well.

Kitirat

First Post
Nifft said:
Humans.

"Exterminate the brutes!", -- N

A problem with half-elves is I have been playtesting the snot out of them and I can say the +2 floating stat and +2 Chr is too strong and over shadows humans. I also had given them hybrid synergy which allows them to recharge an encounter power with an action point (only encounter powers gained through diliente or multi-classing) and that actually seems the better gain but still feels a bit to one sided. Like they are being forced to be multi-classed which was not the goal I was looking for.

Still working on it.

The other races seem pretty good so far save for the tielfling which seems slightly less powerful. HOWEVER, we are still at low levels in the testing and the higher level tiefling feats look great.

MindWanderer

First Post
I think they all have uses--and that half-elf, at least, got a big boost by not being unplayable. I'm comforted by the fact that 5 out of the 8 races have gotten at least one vote.

I'll add a sixth: dragonborn. At first, I liked Dragon Breath as a weenie-wiper. Then I saw that every class get AoEs of some sort. Draconic Heritage is nice, but the fact that it keys off an ability score than the Dragonborn doesn't get a bonus to results in built-in MAD. Str and Cha sounds like a useful combo, but it's really not: Paladins and Rogues should focus on one or the other but not both; it lends itself well to a melee cleric but melee clerics suck compared to "laser clerics." It's good for warlords, and solid for hammer/axe fighters. So it's not so much that dragonborn are really that horrible, but what they are is a trap.

Last edited:

Rpgraccoon

First Post
I like the half-elves better but still I am disappointed.

Nonetheless, I hate the dragonborn and still think the should not exist and will not allow them in a campaign if I run one. Thus, they are the winners.

Though halfings and tieflings get a mention for horrible fluff but good mechanics. with the exception the halfings cannot use a staff.

Why do I like the half-elves better you may wonder.

+2 Con this is due to the human heritage in my eyes. It was said that they are more durable than elves and can thrive in any environment and this makes it show.

+2 Charisma I hate it some half-elves may be xenophobic I despise this a lot. would +2 Mental depending on heritage hurt that bad.
Drow: +2 Charisma Elf: +2 Wisdom Eldarin +2 Int

Then the access to feats would change of course.

The other thing I like is the multi-class power though week is shows that half-elves pick up a multitude of different and unique skills. That others would not of. Yes humans can get a feat or a skill from there class but not a cross-class/multi.

finally the group +1 Diplomate thing is stupid and needs to go period.

as for their skills I am not sure.

So for the last two fixes I am not sure what needs to be done but it is pretty easy to fix. Half-elves have always needed fixes since Wotc got a hold of them. At least the got some of it right this time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads