• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Simplicity? Change of pace?

I have plenty of groups that are full of evil people. Different rogue guilds, people that want (in D&D terms) a fiendish invasion or are secretly being influenced by outsiders.

Having orcs always be evil means I've broadcast that these are bad guys. Orcs are green in my campaign for a reason. I would hope there's no reason to believe they represent any particular real world ethnicity.

So if I could challenge you about this:

What would be the harm vs benefit of dropping the trope of all orcs are evil? Are there other ways to signify that an enemy is evil that doesn't require it to be applied to an entire race?

Now I am not forcing you to change anything about your game.

What I am asking you is to do a thought exercise: what other ways could you easily signal to your players that they can fight a group of people without it being based on race?

Stilvan

Explorer
We have? Because there have long been accusations that comic books caused juvenile delinquency, D&D caused Satan worship, violent video games cause real world violence.

None of those have stood up to scrutiny.

The principal argument for adjusting the representation of race in D&D is that negative representations influence your thought about and/or actions towards real-world individuals. If I understand the argument correctly.

Remathilis

Legend
This rabbit hole is very deep. The foundational premises of D&D can easily be labelled toxic. Where is the line between race and monster? Why can you home invade, kill and steal consequence-free from monsters for personal gain but not races? Can we steal from races too if we, the conquering few (people of privilege), label them as 'evil' or as members of a 'cult'? We've now ceded that what you do in fantasy games influences what you think and do in the real world. We've agreed that representations in-game must be held up against close matches - with no parameters as to what that means except what one group defines as a match - in the real world. There is a book in this game that consists of a long list of living, thinking beings whose only purpose is to be murdered and stolen from. How long do you think that is going to last? We're essentially one essay away from some very uncomfortable discussions.
This would be a good time to mention Powerkill RPG...

Oofta

Legend

What would be the harm vs benefit of dropping the trope of all orcs are evil? Are there other ways to signify that an enemy is evil that doesn't require it to be applied to an entire race?

What I am asking you is to do a thought exercise: what other ways could you easily signal to your players that they can fight a group of people without it being based on race?

Why? I mean that seriously. You have a problem with evil orcs, change it. I've explained my logic and reasoning repeatedly now ... I don't feel like doing it any more.

A big part of the game is killing evil monsters. Change orcs to green, call them a different species instead of race and I see no issue. I see no logical reason we can have (effectively) always evil fiends, dragons and undead but we can't have an evil monster that happens to look sort-of human.

Desrimal

Explorer
I don't agree with all the changes but it's a bit of a hyperbole to say that there's absolutely no reason for them. D&D changes constantly. The D&D of 1977 wasn't the same as it was in 1987 which wasn't the same as it was in 1997. I expect D&D of 2030 will not be the same as it is today. I realized a few years ago that time marches on and to remain relevant WotC is going to appeal to the next generation of consumers. I have made my peace with that. If I'm still playing D&D in 10 years I'll probably adapt to whatever rules/settings they have.
I agree. Rules and mythology evolves. It's the reason for this change in d&d mythology, that I don't like. It reminds me of how they changed "demons" and "devil's" in 2nd edition. I think we're witnessing the second coming of the satanic panic from the 80's.

Hurin70

Adventurer
WotC hasn't suggested that's happening, it's just what people who are against these changes have jumped to.

Morrus suggested it. He asked if a player wanted to have a Halfing who was stronger than Minotaurs, why not let him. I'm not entirely sure how to understand the mechanics of that, but it was in the context of talking about adjustable race bonuses.

I wouldn't be a fan of allowing a Halfling to take +2 Str as a racial bonus; that just doesn't seem to make sense to me. So that's the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid.

Oofta

Legend
The principal argument for adjusting the representation of race in D&D is that negative representations influence your thought about and/or actions towards real-world individuals. If I understand the argument correctly.

I understand the argument. I simply don't agree with it any more than I agree that comic books cause juvenile delinquency.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I'm not sure that's it at all.

I think continuing to present those negative representations shows a fundamental disrespect. And it is THAT which is an issue.

The path is not, Show racist stereotype in fantasy -> People think fantasy is real -> people become racist.

The path is more People point out racist stereotype is insulting -> Nobody gives a fetid dingo's kidney for your feelings and refuse to change -> People get the idea they can get away without caring for your feelings -> racism.

It is the real world act of not caring about who they insult that supports racism. Because whether or not we take our cues for right and wrong from fantasy, we DO take cues from other people in our culture.

Remathilis

Legend

But what % are evil though?

I mean, drow have had a poster-child for the "rebel fighting against the evil of his people" for decades. There is a goddess dedicated to non-evil drow. They are a PC race in the PHB. They're are probably as many examples of non-evil drow as evil ones at this point.

Yet they are still called out for being problematic.

So how many drow need to not be evil? 10%? 50%? 90%? What level makes them acceptable?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Morrus suggested it. He asked if a player wanted to have a Halfing who was stronger than Minotaurs, why not let him. I'm not entirely sure how to understand the mechanics of that, but it was in the context of talking about adjustable race bonuses.

I wouldn't be a fan of allowing a Halfling to take +2 Str as a racial bonus; that just doesn't seem to make sense to me. So that's the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid.
Morrus is a very influential fan, but he is not a WotC developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads