• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A short(ish) version of what I posted over on the other thread.
  • Evil monsters serve a purpose in the game. They give me as a DM and a player a creature I can fight without qualms. Sometimes I just want to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum. Sometimes I want to not think for a few hours about all the insanity and messiness that the real world throws at us. So yes, sometimes I just want to be pointed at the bad guys and roll some dice.

So, as a practical matter, do you need an entire race to accomplish this? Why not just telegraph to your PCs that the particular group they are up against is nasty, and let them hack away?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So legitimate question: based on what Crawford said are they talking about retconning everything or merely having a variety of worlds where things are different?

If they are talking some worlds with more variety for drow and orcs it’s one thing. If they are talking about changing drow overall it’s another thing.
It sounds like a number of things. For drow, orcs, etc., I doubt they’re going to make sweeping changes to the way they’re written in existing books, but they will likely be presenting them with a great deal more nuance going forward. They might make some tweaks to future printings of existing books, such as changing the word race out for something like “people” or “folk” (apparently Jeremy Crawford has been using “folk” on Twitter for a while now? I didn’t know cause I’m not on Twitter.) There will be an upcoming book that will give options for customizing characters’ origins, including but probably not limited to being able to change the ability score adjustments from race/people/folk/whatever. Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation will probably (or at least hopefully) be getting more extensive revisions.

Bolares

Hero
About the "an orc should be stronger than a halfling" argument... Well sure, in general he orc is stronger, and it will remain true in the game. The proposition is not to ignore fisical diferences in the average person in the game world. Is to change how we view our extraordinary characters. A PC halfling could and should be stronger than an orc if that's the story you want to tell. That's why it's okay to get rid of "racial bonuses" to ability scores. It's not about how every people in the world is represented, it's about how you will build your hero.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not 100% sure we won't see changes to the MM going forward. That's an assumption I'm not sure is accurate. We'll see.

I'm excited for a book of PC options. I hope they do some interesting things, not just change ability modifiers and a few other things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Moral relativism is a pretty common philosophical concept.

Yeah, but there are some things we probably have to generally agree upon to have a functioning society. Like, you know, going out in public and slapping people in the face for the color of their skin? We can agree that there's not many situation in which this becomes morally justified, right?

So... metaphorically slapping people in the face for the color of their skin? Also probably bad, right?

Slapping people in the face at home, when they agree to be slapped... probably not as big a deal. That's moral relativism.

Thus, WotC doing a thing in their published books is not equivalent to what you do at home. And, the fact that you want to do a thing in the privacy of your own home doesn't really speak to what WotC should do in their books. WotC does not have the general consent from buyers to slap them, so they probably shouldn't.

Oofta

Legend
So, as a practical matter, do you need an entire race to accomplish this? Why not just telegraph to your PCs that the particular group they are up against is nasty, and let them hack away?

Simplicity? Change of pace?

I have plenty of groups that are full of evil people. Different rogue guilds, people that want (in D&D terms) a fiendish invasion or are secretly being influenced by outsiders.

Sometimes I want to avoid that Saving Private Ryan moment
where the squad doesn't have the option of securing the prisoner and they have no way of knowing if he's really just a conscript or a true believer. Especially since the guy they let go ends up killing a member of their squad.
Other times I want a bit of moral dilemma and some uncertainty.

Having orcs always be evil means I've broadcast that these are bad guys. Orcs are green in my campaign for a reason. I would hope there's no reason to believe they represent any particular real world ethnicity.

Stilvan

Explorer
Let's see. Posters saying things like "I don't want to interact with people that don't understand why this is an issue", "try showing some empathy", "continue to willfully ignore and make excuses", "Yep. Why better ourselves.". Then of course there was the post I replied to which said that calls everyone who doesn't agree a regressive element and a senile old man yelling at the sky.

Someone else suggested labeling orcs as monstrosities instead of humanoids. I think orcs (and goblins) should go back to being green. I've always had issues with drow and don't remember ever using them in my campaign (although in theory they do exist).

I'd also get rid of the word "race" because it means something different in D&D than in the real world. I prefer species myself.

I also think changing orcs to evil only when they follow a specific religion is also problematic. It's like saying that certain ethnicities are are perfectly okay as long as they aren't [fill in the blank with some religion you do not follow].

This rabbit hole is very deep. The foundational premises of D&D can easily be labelled toxic. Where is the line between race and monster? Why can you home invade, kill and steal consequence-free from monsters for personal gain but not races? Can we steal from races too if we, the conquering few (people of privilege), label them as 'evil' or as members of a 'cult'? We've now ceded that what you do in fantasy games influences what you think and do in the real world. We've agreed that representations in-game must be held up against close matches - with no parameters as to what that means except what one group defines as a match - in the real world. There is a book in this game that consists of a long list of living, thinking beings whose only purpose is to be murdered and stolen from. How long do you think that is going to last? We're essentially one essay away from some very uncomfortable discussions.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, but there are some things we probably have to generally agree upon to have a functioning society. Like, you know, going out in public and slapping people in the face for the color of their skin? We can agree that there's not many situation in which this becomes morally justified, right?

So... metaphorically slapping people in the face for the color of their skin? Also probably bad, right?

Slapping people in the face at home, when they agree to be slapped... probably not as big a deal. That's moral relativism.

Thus, WotC doing a thing in their published books is not equivalent to what you do at home. And, the fact that you want to do a thing in the privacy of your own home doesn't really speak to what WotC should do in their books. WotC does not have the general consent from buyers to slap them, so they probably shouldn't.
Oh, yeah, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads