• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2006 January through April releases

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Ooops. PG to Eberron is 29.95. I'll correct it.
Psionic is also 29.95.
Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Races of the Dragon
Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, and Kolya Raven Liquette
A new D&D sourcebook detailing races descended from dragons.
Races of the Dragon provides D&D players and Dungeon Masters with an in-depth look at races descended from or related to dragons. In addition to exploring the fan-favorite kobold race, Races of the Dragon introduces two new races, dragonborn and spellscales, and provides information on half-dragons. The dragonborn are a transitive race, an exciting new concept that allows players to transform from their initial race into a new one. The book also includes a wealth of cultural information and new prestige classes, feats, equipment, spells and magic items.
160 page hardcover, $29.95
Is it wrong that this sexually excites me?

William Ronald

Explorer
thalmin said:
Ooops. PG to Eberron is 29.95. I'll correct it.
Psionic is also 29.95.
Sorry 'bout that.

"To err is human, to forgive divine."

No problem, and GREAT information as always, thalmin. I think the information gives us some more insight into the books. For example, Tome of Magic's approach to true name magic seems to be more about using knowledge of the true name of a being or object. So, it may or may not have something akin to Arcana Unearthed's ceremonial feats that require a true name as a prerequisite. (Okay, Mouseferatu, can you comment on the book yet?)

It is good to see WotC publishing some adventures. Thalmin, any idea of the character levels for the two adventures?

Races of the Dragon
Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, and Kolya Raven Liquette
A new D&D sourcebook detailing races descended from dragons.
Races of the Dragon provides D&D players and Dungeon Masters with an in-depth look at races descended from or related to dragons. In addition to exploring the fan-favorite kobold race, Races of the Dragon introduces two new races, dragonborn and spellscales, and provides information on half-dragons. The dragonborn are a transitive race, an exciting new concept that allows players to transform from their initial race into a new one. The book also includes a wealth of cultural information and new prestige classes, feats, equipment, spells and magic items.
There better be something in that book which makes Kobolds really really kick ass. Especially the Kobold barbarian I played, if I'll ever play him again. And maybe provide something along the line of how I have 'subraces' of Kobolds for each dragon colour, even though they're mechanically the same race unless picking up some draconic feat. Makes me wonder though if they'll have anything on draconic creatures (the 1/4 dragon template) or lizardfolk.

Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and the True Name Magic
Matthew Sernett, Dave Noonan, Ari Marmell, Robert J. Schwalb
Three new magic systems for any D&D campaign.
Tome of Magic introduces three new magic subsystems for the D&D game. Any or all of these systems can easily be inserted into a campaign. Pact magic gives characters the ability to channel lost souls, harnessing their abilities to gain supernatural powers. Shadow magic draws power from the mysterious Plane of Shadow. True name magic gives characters that learn and properly use the true name of a creature or object immense poer over it. All three systems introduce new base classes and spellcasting mechanics. Also included are new feats, prestige classes, magic items, and spells.
288 page hardcover, $39.95
Seems interesting, Shadow magic was something in the original Tome of Magic that got completely overshadowed by Wild Magic. It might fit into a character concept, though she was sort of half-way between a Shadow Mage and a Necromancer.

True Name magic existed in Planescape and by extension 1e, though it was really only the spells Spiritwrack, Cacofiend (or Cacodaemon in 1e) and True Name. Where you could do things like gain complete domination over someone or summon them from across the planes. Though there is that article in Dragon Magazine about True Names, and a bunch of stuff in Arcana Unearthed/Evolved. Don't know how it will play out.

Pact Magic, seems to be what I thought the Magic of Incarnum would be like. To me it sounds like a system of magic where after defeating a fire elemental you can harness some fire-related ability or spell (like gaining fire resistance or perhaps instantly crafting a wand of fireball). Peacefully encountering and negotiating with a celestial would give you the ability to call on some of it's powers as a favour.

Complete Psionic
Bruce R. Cordell and Christopher Lindsay
The essential Sourcebook for expanding the use of psionic power by any character.
Complete Psionics provides new options for creating and playing rich psionic characters. Whether you're playing a devoted psion or psionic warrior, or a member of a psionic race, or just looking to expand yor character's options, this sourcebook has something for you. Players and Dungeon Masters gain access to new combat options, powers, equipment, and prestige classes, as well as exciting new character classes. Complete Psionic also provides new information on psionic organizations, and Dungeon Masters will find material for incorporating psionics into their campaign worlds.
They better have some cool things for soulknives, because they're really cool as a concept but sort of weak in execution. There should be something that makes having a 'flying swordsman' character easier. And for other base classes I know they might have the Erudite and Psychic Rogue, but they should at least try to have a Mesmerist base class, something that sort of Bard-like but unique in execution. There probably needs to be a few prestige classes related to the XPH races.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Pact magic sound suspiciously like the subject of Magic of Incarnum...that'll probably resolve itself in time though.

Power of Faerun sounded like an FR epic book until the last sentence...then it just sounded like a sub-epic book focuses on characters that administrate organizations, similar to how previous editions would assume you'd retire your characters when they hit double digits.

Complete Psionic seems interesting. I'm always up for more psionic goodness.

Lord Morte

First Post
The dragonborn are a transitive race, an exciting new concept that allows players to transform from their initial race into a new one.

Uhhh... was I the only one who read this and thought of the Mogh (sp?) from Arcana Unearthed?

Graf

Explorer
Complete Psionics by BC. Eberron Players guide by KB.
Though its not my bag I'm sure the FR people will love an epic level FR book by EG.
New magic systems by Mousferatu (and other equally gifted designers I assume).

The dragon stuff isn't my bag either but if its well done people will love it.
Anyway I remain confused as to why people aren't happy with the Wiz.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
William Ronald said:
It is good to see WotC publishing some adventures. Thalmin, any idea of the character levels for the two adventures?
No hint given for Red Hand, other than the characters will meet Tiamat's minions. The front cover doesn't say anything about level.
Golden Dragon description says low-level. That's all there is to go on so far.

Remove ads