WotC before Hasbro. The way we were.

Krieg

First Post
Baraendur said:
An interesting read for sure, but the truth of the matter is that post-Hasbro WotC is not the evil corporate devil people sometimes make it out to be. In fact it still rates as the best job I've ever had and I intend to be there for as long as they want to keep me.

The most interesting thing is that I've heard almost the exact quote from three other Wizard's employees....all were subsequently laid off.

I'd strongly recomend a lateral move to sales.

Breakdaddy

First Post
*ahem*
Corinth, Im fairly certain that the mods are smart enough to figure out the posts and legalities thereof without your brilliant posts to gently chide them. May I suggest next time just reporting the thread quietly to the mods instead of publicly chiding the original poster?

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
At each PDCA training session, one of the consultants put a graph on the overhead projector and made an amazing statement. She said that in any data set, if you have three consecutive points that are "trending" -- moving in a consistent direction -- then there's a 68 percent chance the fourth data point will be contrary to the trend.

When it was time for the math geeks in R&D to go through the session, they really loved this howler. The PDCA training team was suggesting that, for example, three days of growth on Wall Street had a 68 percent chance of being followed by a downturn. If your child grew for three years, it was 68 percent likely he'd shrink in the fourth year. It was complete nonsense. When the R&D guys pressed for an explanation, the team assured them it was true. Their script said so.

Heh, this is hillarious. And ironically, I'm looking at Google News right now, and one of the headlines is "Stocks Rally After 3 Days of Decline." Maybe those consultants were right after all :D

reapersaurus

First Post
That article never fails to fascinate me.
It's probably my favorite online article of all-time - I can re-read it again and again.

(Another one I liked a lot was Salon's Courtney Love article, about how the record companies exploit musicians, not music pirates)

Endur

First Post
I don't think posting that article and the letters is a "crime."

Just think back to the basic rules you followed in high school term papers and you should be ok. In high school term papers, you quoted materials and gave a footnote or an endnote saying where you got the materials from.

So, as a general rule, if you quote part of an article and give a link to the original, you are fine. And with permission from the author/copyright owner, you can do more.

Also, that article is pretty important and very relevant to this community. A reasonable argument could made that quoting it in entirety falls within the "fair use" doctrine.

So, I'm sorry Corinth --I don't think threads should be yanked just because somebody wasn't as protective on copyrights as you are.

On the other hand, if you were one of the authors of the letters or the articles, I'd agree 100% that it should yanked if you want your materials removed. For that matter, I really don't know why the letters were posted, since they added very little to the article.

Corinth said:
*ahem*

That article and those letters are all copywritten material, and reposting it without expressed permission of the rights-holders is a crime. Someone yank this thread before the attack-lawyers start slapped C&D letters around.

Corinth

First Post
Endur said:
I don't think posting that article and the letters is a "crime."
Opinion is irrelevant; the fact is that reposting that article from Salon is copyright infringement unless you obtain permission from Salon.
Just think back to the basic rules you followed in high school term papers and you should be ok. In high school term papers, you quoted materials and gave a footnote or an endnote saying where you got the materials from.
This instance is well outside the limits of Fair Use.
So, as a general rule, if you quote part of an article and give a link to the original, you are fine. And with permission from the author/copyright owner, you can do more. [/b

Salon--the onwer--gave no such permission, and--as just stated--this instance is outside the limits of Fair Use.
Also, that article is pretty important and very relevant to this community. A reasonable argument could made that quoting it in entirety falls within the "fair use" doctrine.
The law said otherwise a long time ago. Link to it; don't repost it in its entirety.
So, I'm sorry Corinth --I don't think threads should be yanked just because somebody wasn't as protective on copyrights as you are.
You are wrong; despite the good intentions this is a clear act of copyright infringement, which is a crime, and it leaves both the post and EN World open for legal action. It is in the best interest of all concerned to kill this thread ASAP and prevent future ones like it.

Starman

Adventurer
Baraendur said:
An interesting read for sure, but the truth of the matter is that post-Hasbro WotC is not the evil corporate devil people sometimes make it out to be. In fact it still rates as the best job I've ever had and I intend to be there for as long as they want to keep me.

Brown noser!

:D ;)

Starman

Skarp Hedin

First Post
It is in the best interest of all concerned to kill this thread ASAP

I'd think it would be easier and more productive just to edit the copyrighted material out of the original post, while retaining the link.

Assuming, of course, that the board administration deems this to be a problem.

Last edited:

Remove ads