• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

KDLadage

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Why does everyone want to screw up the Paladin? They better not touch it becuase old timers like me will be livid. :D
I do not want to screw with it; I just want an "optional PrC" version of this guy -- in my opinion, Paladins are NOT a core class, they are a PrC.

KDLadage

Explorer
Just wanted to tell Felon and KDL that making the paladin a PrC, and turning armor into DR, are two things massively unlikely (and personnally, I'm thankful for that).
Making Armor a fully DR thing -- yes, never going to happen. Adding a small amount of DR to the existing AC-based armor rules, not as tough (nor as unlikely) as you might think.

Sanackranib

First Post
4e

BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

So if the revised rule books keep 4E away for another 4+ years after their release, and I can still use all my d20 stuff without modification, I'm a happy camper whether I buy them or not.

edit: for obvious spelling error

I have switched systems everytime since basic D&D. I ain't gonna be switchin to any 4e any time soon. Hell they just got almost $300 out of me 2 months ago.

I wonder if we can "trade in" our old core books or pay a minor upgrade cost cause no way am I gonna fork out ANOTHER $100+
because I was sold the beta version. As it is we already have 2 versions of the PHB in this house because my wifes copy is different (her's was the 1st printing). I have enough stuff for 2e that I'm not using anymore (a lot of my 1e stuff was stolen so I don't have that to worry about anymore). if they (WotC) come up with a new version its gonna take me YEARS to embrace it - if EVER.:eek:

Felon

First Post
KDLadage said:
I do not want to screw with it; I just want an "optional PrC" version of this guy

Good point. WotC doesn't need to make a lot of radical changes to the core system. They can simply provide a wealth of options.

And again, folks, my idea for the paladin was basically just to open it up to other alignments. The "smite" ability, for instance could be easily be tailored to work against lawful, chaotic, good, or evil characters. If you like the paladin as is, you'd still have it. If you have 3e books with paladin NPC's in them, they would in no way be invalidated. No harm done, and a whole new wealth of options are opened for the guys who want to play chaotic good champions of Corellan Lorenthian, or lawful evil enforcers of Hextor, and they wouldn't need to waste any more levels working towards a PrC any more than a paladin of Heironeous would have to.

cildarith

Explorer
A couple of questions...

Will this new material be directly incorporated into the SRD?

If 3.5e is released in 2003, can we begin rubbing our hands in anticipation of 4E in 2006?

:D

EarthsShadow

First Post
I was wondering how long they thought about doing a revised edition when Monte announced his books that he is righting and releasing later this summer. Personally, I think their timing is enough proof that they might have been given a real scare by Monte and want to keep their foothold solid with newer and better looking revised core books. That aside, if they were to look in on these threads and take notes from those of us who want things to be changed, here is some of the things I would personally love to see:

A redefined Ranger from top to bottom, or have two variant rangers, one with spells and one without spells because IMO I don't think rangers should be able to cast spells.

Provide the Bard with more musical abilities, and increase their skill points to 6 or 8, and if they do 8, reduce the Rogue's skill points to 6. If the Bards are the jack of all trades, I would think that they would also get the most skill points.

If they increase the Bard skill points, then it would also be wonderful if they split the Perform skill up into seperate skills, like Craft and Knowledge. Then provide the Bard bonus class abilities into specific Perform abilities to enhance their magical abilities. And then get rid of Bard spells altogether (this would probably not happen).

Give the Sorceror its own spell's list, with a lot of Buff spells and support spells, but don't give the Sorceror all the spells a Wizard can get. And provide them both with bonus feats, or something to enhance them both so the Sorceror isn't a magic missle machine gun and the wizard gets played more.

Redo the entire magic item creation system so it makes more logical sense.

Give us monster lore in each entry for the monsters, so if we want to play a game where the characters don't know anything and if they want to do research into the monster, its easier for us to give them the information based on how well they do with research.

Provide better rules for handling xp, and definately add in the Parry feats in the recent dragon magazine.

Uhhh, I can't think of anything else, but it would be awesome if someone from wizards read this and responded with some kind of information.

Aaron2

Explorer
vraad said:
I talked to my players last night at our weekly session. They were LIVID!!! I was a little shocked at just how upset they were with Wizards for doing this, after all, two of these people are the kind who have to have everything that's ever produced. Apparently this is the straw that broke the camels back for them.

Well, that's 7 PHBs that won't be bought.

That's not actually fair. There reaction will depend entirely on how the revised book is described ...

"WotC is making a new printing that has all the errata incorporated."

vs

"WotC is revising 3e so you have to buy a whole new set of books and all your other stuff is now obsolete."

Which did you tell them?

Aaron

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Felon said:

I openly stated that my list of proposed changes was mostly just wishful thinking. I know that most of the revisions will be cosmetic. But if WotC hears enough demand for some deeper changes to the system, they may well prove more accomodating than most of us would suspect.

Sure, but by accomodating those who want to make radical changes would cause problems for those who don't want to have to rework a bunch of stuff from d20 books they've bought over the last few years. But I can't believe they would do that.

Olive

Explorer
EarthsShadow said:
I was wondering how long they thought about doing a revised edition when Monte announced his books that he is righting and releasing later this summer. Personally, I think their timing is enough proof that they might have been given a real scare by Monte and want to keep their foothold solid with newer and better looking revised core books.

the catalog this is all mentioned in was probably at the printers by the time monte announced arcarna unearthed to us.

that said, monte did tell them he was doing it, and asked if he could use the name...

I don't know this for sure, but i'd imagine that if you compared sales prices for WotC supplements and Malhavoc sups, you'd see that Monte's figures are amazing for a 3rd party publisher, but no where near the sales for WotC... didn't they sell 500,000 copies fo the PHB or something? where as i'm pretty sure that Monte said that the combined sales figures for the Books of Eldritch Might were 14,000 or so...

That combined with the fact that Monte's books are kinda 'wierd fantasy' IMO, that DnD has ALWAYS been the biggest selling RPG and the fact that WotC has market penetration beyond Sword and Sorcery's wildest dreams mean that if WotC are scared by Monte, then they obviously don't have enough to do at work.

Given what we know about a large percentage of their other books (Races of Faerun, Ghostwalk etc), the chances are that the revised core books are already written and are at the design (as in graphic not R&D) stage now, with revisions in the early part of next year, and then a two month window for print and distro.

Nah, I don't reckon that they're scared of Monte at all...

To Felon and KDLadage: I obviously came off harsher than i meant to... sorry guys. :)

Remove ads