[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd expect that the change which will alter rangers will be the version of TWF from d20 modern, which allows you full twf/ambidexterity ability with one feat instead of two. That'll stop rangers from being the class which you take when you want to twf, and mean that people have a better look at their other (good) abilities. It'll also make twf more competetive (which it currently isn't).

I'd like to see the rules for trip modified to be more like grapple with the inclusion of BAB into the formula (currently you only use them if your opponent is massively higher level than you - because his level has no impact. Tripping someone lower level than you is a waste, because your own level has no impact...). And also 'standing up' given an AoO.

Also, I'd like to see bows cut back a little, like others have suggested. Currently they're just THE projectile weapon. This could be effected just by making 'mighty' versions of the other missile weapons.

I'd like to see at least an optional rule for changing the mechanics behind stat checks to be a little more 'flat', or just flat-out avoiding stat checks. Currently the only stat checks which need to be made are strength (for break DCs) and constitution (for exhaustion and fatigue), and the amount of variance in them is pretty huge, to the extent that it impacts verisimilitude when the strength 6 gnome manages to beat the strength 20 half orc in tests of strength some 20% of the time. Either a reduced die roll (which is an ugly solution) or an extra skill (dex checks are never made because of the skills available for them like balance and escape artist - strength could get something like 'smashing', and con could get 'endurance' or something - more thought on the names perhaps...).

I'd like to see some minor alterations to the 'problem' spells, namely harm, gate, haste, summon monster/natures ally, timestop. Haste isn't so much a problem with it's uses (I quite LIKE the two spell a round version), more with the description of how it works, what it modifies etc. For instance - can I really use my haste partial action to reset negative AC from a charge, or to give myself extra AC using expertise?
Summon monster/ally really needs a boost - currently it's almost never worth using over just blasting your opponent.
Timestop... well, I think everyone knows about timestop. It would probably be better if it wasn't possible to use magic from it, or at least if it wasn't possible to use instantaeneous magic from it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Uhm not that anyone cares, but I got my first writing paycheck. Thanks Jim Bishop and the guys at Bastion Press!

(Thought that would relieve some tension)

Btw San, don't worry, just keep buying from S&SS. We got your back.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: 4e

Felon said:

{grits teeth}

Then...don't....embrace....it..........

None can resist the Embrace! You will join the Kindred, or you will naught but Kine!

Oh wait, sorry. Wrong game system.

Remove ads