• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Dark Sun re-release?

Dust

First Post
I can't remember (or find again) where I heard this, but is WotC planning on re-releasing Dark Sun for 3.5 in some format? Either as a book, or in Dragon/Dungeon? I know there were some rules for defilers in one of the recent issues, but I could have sworn I saw something about a bigger and more complete release coinciding with the revised Psionics Handbook coming out this summer. Anyone know anything, or heard the same rumors?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Dust said:
I can't remember (or find again) where I heard this, but is WotC planning on re-releasing Dark Sun for 3.5 in some format? Either as a book, or in Dragon/Dungeon? I know there were some rules for defilers in one of the recent issues, but I could have sworn I saw something about a bigger and more complete release coinciding with the revised Psionics Handbook coming out this summer. Anyone know anything, or heard the same rumors?

It's an upcoming combo with Dragon and Dungeon magazines. The player's primer will be in Dragon, the DM's guide in Dragon. I think it's the March issue.

Fevil

First Post
I hope to god they don't. I hope it goes to a publisher who will do it justice.
OTOH, I had read somewhere that someone was going to be taking the reigns.

I know, Athas.org.

You'll find the info you need there

Olive

Explorer
Fevil said:
I hope to god they don't. I hope it goes to a publisher who will do it justice.

this isn't a rumour. They are doing it. It's been confirmed on here by Dungeon Editor Erik Mona, and Dragon #315 says that it's goign to be in the May issues and will be writen by Dave Noonan.

So, you don't have to like it but do give up any hope it's not going to happen.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
AFAIK, Although Athas.org is the "official" Dark Sun fan site. WotC is pretty much ignoring their work for the upcoming release of Dark Sun 3.5.

Dark Sun 3.5 will appear in Dragon and Dungeon and will be the official conversion per WotC. I guess that makes Athas.org the official unofficial conversion. I wasn't a big fan of their conversion anyway.

Personally, I feel the Revised Dark Sun boxed set was garbage and any of the products that referred to that box set instead of to the original were garbage. Mostly because they completely watered down the setting. Taking away all the high power brutality and lethality it had before. They gave new meaning to the expression "nerfed".

I also partially blame Troy Denning. He created the setting but then instead of letting us play in his sandbox he went and destroyed it in the Prism Pentad novels. Powerful NPCs should never have that kind of world altering impact on a campaign setting. PCs should always be the focus.

Last edited:

Fevil

First Post
Dragonblade said:
They gave new meaning to the expression "nerfed".

I also partially blame Troy Denning. He created the setting but then instead of letting us play in his sandbox he went and destroyed it in the Prism Pentad novels. Powerful NPCs should never have that kind of world altering impact on a campaign setting. PCs should always be the focus.

Amen.

Troy should have left it at a trilogy. End of story. And I doubt very much I will like it, but I'll take a look see anyway and cross my fingers.

PJ Mason

First Post
Dust said:

Yep. I didn't know they were going to put it in both mags, though. I don't normally buy Dungeon, but i will this time. Good business move. Anything they can give me for my DS games is better than nothing for my DS games.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Dragonblade said:
AFAIK, Although Athas.org is the "official" Dark Sun fan site. WotC is pretty much ignoring their work ...

...I wasn't a big fan of their conversion anyway...

Personally, I feel the Revised Dark Sun boxed set was garbage...

I also partially blame Troy Denning...

No offense, D'blade, but was there anything you liked? :(

As far as the official magazines doing the DS material, it was advertised in the new issue of Dungeon I got yesterday. I'd say that means they're pretty sure they're doing it.

Spatula

Explorer
Greatwyrm said:
No offense, D'blade, but was there anything you liked? :(
I think he liked the original boxed set. A lot. :)

I generally agree with his opinions on what happened to DS, if not the vehemence with which he stated them. While it's a shame that Troy Denning tore down the campaign setting pretty much right after it was released, there's nothing stopping me from ignoring all of that and playing in the world presented in the orignal DS box set and the first few releases.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads