D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Pages 246-7 of the DMG.
It's not that simple. Back in 3.5 on phb166 you had
1713995529629.png
Hardness was basically object DR (beat it or do zero). The DC's might look high, but taking 10 & taking 20 were options to bypass the die if there was enough time(10-20x longer?) no consequence of failure & such so the high DCs were really a matter of ensuring the situational problems (ie the guard, the ticking clock, etc) got handled before the check. The DMG had some rules that could extend & modify that (potentially drastically).

By having that page & relevant rules it allowed players to at a glanceget an idea for what their character would probably intuit or know about an average door/rope/chain/manacle or whatever so they could put their heads together and come up with a plan that seems plausible even if the GM has modified this door/chain/etc beyond the baseline with a new dc/hp/hardness for $reason. Knowing that the GM describing things could potentially be a $reason type problem for the players also made it more likely that players listened to & investigated with purpose when they had suspicions likely to be relevant

Staffan

Legend
So... are you opposed to the Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind) and Warlock (GOO) being primary representatives of psionic casters? How important is it that the "Psion" needs a completely different core class spellcasting mechanic? Are the themes not generic enough?
I am.

My issue is that an aberrant mind sorcerer can make a stand-in if you want to translate someone with psychic powers into D&D. But it's not sufficient if you want psionics to be an important part of your campaign on equal terms with arcane, primal, and divine magic, and if you want psionics to be something that's actually studied rather than just something weird mutants happen to have. Then you need to have one or more classes dedicated to it, and make sure it has enough breadth to support multiple builds and subclasses.

In other words: the aberrant mind sorcerer gets you Eleven. A proper psion class gets you Jedi.
Do people still think that Psionic powers should be based on Intelligence? I don't think so. It makes sense to me that a "psionic" caster is Charisma-based, which is force of will and influence over self and the world, rather than Intelligence-based, which primarily represents memory and reason.
Of course psionics shouldn't be Int-based. 2e had them as primarily Wisdom-based, with minor contributions from Intelligence and Constitution.

I could see a wizard/sorcerer split between psychic classes, with the trained psion being Wisdom-based and the weird mutant being Charisma-based.

Staffan

Legend
Pages 246-7 of the DMG.
OK then, proper rules for object/structural hit points. "Make something up" for things like walls is not sufficient, particularly when you have things like earthquake and druids turning into earth elementals who are specifically good at smashing these sorts of things. And introducing something like "damage threshold" without giving numbers should be considered dereliction of duty.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm also thinking the Assassain is likely out in the PHB. Would be cool if they added the one feature of that subclass that was actually solid to either the Soul Knife or to the rogue in general. Advantage against enemies that haven't taken a turn in combat would be a great QOL improvement for the Rogue who always goes before her friends can get into melee.

mamba

Legend
Can you find a source for that? Throw in the species from MotM, and I'd buy it in a flash.
no source, probably a video, but I remember it too… at least for the subclasses that did not make the cut. They will get their own revision and along with some new ones be published as the equivalent to Xanathar 2027

No idea about any of the other content though

Last edited:

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I am.

My issue is that an aberrant mind sorcerer can make a stand-in if you want to translate someone with psychic powers into D&D. But it's not sufficient if you want psionics to be an important part of your campaign on equal terms with arcane, primal, and divine magic, and if you want psionics to be something that's actually studied rather than just something weird mutants happen to have. Then you need to have one or more classes dedicated to it, and make sure it has enough breadth to support multiple builds and subclasses.

In other words: the aberrant mind sorcerer gets you Eleven. A proper psion class gets you Jedi.

Of course psionics shouldn't be Int-based. 2e had them as primarily Wisdom-based, with minor contributions from Intelligence and Constitution.

I could see a wizard/sorcerer split between psychic classes, with the trained psion being Wisdom-based and the weird mutant being Charisma-based.
So I have always loved psionics and was very upset when they dropped the mystic and decided not to move forward with the one Mike Mearls was making on his happy fun hour. Unfortunately I feel like that ship has sailed and that outside of a 3rd party product we will never see a psionic class. By adding the psi knight and psi blade into the core phb we have the bases covered, not nesissarily well but they are still there.

mamba

Legend
& agree & It's tea leaf reading, but I'd like to think that the comment Krannik(?) ended the video on about how they are going to talk about the phb for hours is an effort to suggest that wotc knows that problem exists & needs work on their part to correct.
i took it as they are so excited for it and want to talk about how great it is. Anything else at this stage would be really surprising

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm also thinking the Assassain is likely out in the PHB. Would be cool if they added the one feature of that subclass that was actually solid to either the Soul Knife or to the rogue in general. Advantage against enemies that haven't taken a turn in combat would be a great QOL improvement for the Rogue who always goes before her friends can get into melee.
It does seem like the kind of thing that could be added to the rogue without destroying game balance.

Remove ads

Remove ads