• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoTC Gelatinous Cube Mini - Empty or not?

Matchstick

Adventurer
I like the idea of making an open ended cube mini. Then you could put character minis inside of it when the cube sucked them in!

rgard

Adventurer
KB9JMQ said:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20061130a

At the end of the column explaining how difficult it is to do everyone's favorite cube is an email link asking for everyones input on whether the cube should be empty or not.

What are your thoughts ?

I've made gelatinous cubes with clear resin. It's a pain in the butt to make. I think either Sean Reynolds or Monte Cook (I think it was Sean) has a web page up explaining how to make it.

I also posted a note here on ENWORLD a couple of years ago explaining how to make your own.

As I've made my own, I don't think I'd spend any extra cash trying to pull one in some upcoming minis set, but yes, it is way cooler to have a skeleton in the cube.

Thanks,
Rich

Huh, this reminds me of our best miniature accessory: the standard clear die case. Put a mini on top of it to reflect flight (we use d20s to identify height in 5' increments), put a case on a mini to indicate a visual effect (e.g. fire shield, unholy aura, etc) or use an empty mini as a placeholder for things the party knows the location of but has yet to see (e.g. blindsense, detect magic, listen, scent, tremorsense, etc).

Festivus

First Post
I just use plastic cubes that I glued together to form an open top box (plexiglass is cheap enough at the store). That way, when you want to have it engulf something, you invert it onto whatever you are engulfing. As an alternative, these might work well too:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=222

I don't really have a need for a DDM mini of this creature, my home brew workaround does just fine.

Remove ads