• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC is going online. What do you want the digital initiative to be?

caudor

Adventurer
MojoGM said:
If they deliver even half of what they list in that first one, I could see paying $15-$20 a month for it. It would be a steal at $10 (though I seriously doubt it will be $10 :) )

I'm thinking more like $19.95, but if includes *that* list of stuff...I'm in.

Ds Da Man

First Post
I would like to see fully interactive adventures, with fully interactive cities, towns, shop-keepers etc. It would be nice to download an adventure, start it, and have some things pop-up when the pointer clicks on a room, map point, NPC, etc.

BoGGiT

First Post
I second the "searchable database" suggestion. Complete database. All spells, feats et cetera from all official books. The fact that this hasn't been done already, even though we're years into the so called information age, is incomprehensible to me. Having to bring 4+ hardcover books to a gaming session just to be able to look up your spells? Plus, you'll probably want extra sheets that points out which spells are in what books. Screw that.

So yeah, a database. And it must be a downloadable, stand-alone application for offline use.

"Hey," some of you might say, "that's not possible! If they released something like that people would just download the application and then quit the subscription!"

Fine, but there are ways around that. I'm no software engineer, but it must be possible to implement a function so that in order for the database software not to stop working, it must be checked with a wotc server once ever other day or so. Thus, you will still have to pay up every month or whenever, but you can still copy the database to a laptop lacking internet connection, bring said laptop to the basement of your FLGS or wherever on sunday night and.

3catcircus

Adventurer
BoGGiT said:
I second the "searchable database" suggestion. Complete database. All spells, feats et cetera from all official books. The fact that this hasn't been done already, even though we're years into the so called information age, is incomprehensible to me. Having to bring 4+ hardcover books to a gaming session just to be able to look up your spells? Plus, you'll probably want extra sheets that points out which spells are in what books. Screw that.

So yeah, a database. And it must be a downloadable, stand-alone application for offline use.

"Hey," some of you might say, "that's not possible! If they released something like that people would just download the application and then quit the subscription!"

Fine, but there are ways around that. I'm no software engineer, but it must be possible to implement a function so that in order for the database software not to stop working, it must be checked with a wotc server once ever other day or so. Thus, you will still have to pay up every month or whenever, but you can still copy the database to a laptop lacking internet connection, bring said laptop to the basement of your FLGS or wherever on sunday night and.

If something like that is implemented, I *ain't* paying them to subscribe. Bottom line is that I look at anything I download to my computer as now *mine* to use as I see fit.

PDFs? Yep, I remove watermarks and DRM after I download them. Games that require a CD in the drive to play? Yep, I download cracks.

The *only* thing that such a database does for me, by the way, is that I don't have to enter the data myself.

I already have a huge SQL database of various types of information that would be searchable - monsters by CR, type, or environment; magic items by type (still gotta enter MIC information); Feats by type; Classes; etc.

I already bought a copy of DMGenie, so there is no need for a WotC "digital battleboard" or something. More importantly, it allows me to customize everything that I want to go in there. And guess what? I only had to pay for it once.

When I guy Dungeon Magazine (until it lasts), or an adventure module, or a rulebook - I only pay for it once. Whether in print or PDF, I only pay once and still have access to it next month, and the month after that, and the month after that, ad nauseum...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
MojoGM said:
If they deliver even half of what they list in that first one, I could see paying $15-$20 a month for it. It would be a steal at $10 (though I seriously doubt it will be $10 :) )
I'm pretty sure it's the same list in both threads (the second one was the first thread on the subject, so the list got there later, relatively)
... I might be willing to pay $5 a month for that sort of stuff. I can't afford much!

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
BoGGiT said:
I second the "searchable database" suggestion. Complete database. All spells, feats et cetera from all official books.
Among the many features in the above link:
Real-World D&D Search Engines (find D&D gamers, game stores, tournaments, and events in your area)
In-Game D&D Search Engines (find feats, spells, magic items, and other D&D-related topics)

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Jdvn1 said:

Uh, no, I didn't know that. Those threads are new to me.

Still, that list was made in October. And, there are some very cool ideas in this thread--so why not take the opportunity to ask for more features, or give ideas for new features? :)

And yeah, like others, if the DI has *all* of those features and includes some of the cool ideas from this thread, I'd gladly pay $10/month or more.

-z

Remove ads