• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
He digitized images in somewhat crappy resolution and poor lighting and put them out. It's not as clear-cut a violation as if they were 600-DPI scans in perfect color, but it's a lot more than just a "review."
Eh, poor resolution reproductions are probably not infringing.

In comparison, if he had other cards past embargo that he owned, he could legitimately post images of them if he were selling them as singles.

TomB

tomBitonti

Adventurer
would be for Wizards to say "We know you did nothing wrong and we'd like to get a win-win here. How about you unpublish the video until street date and you let us know who shipped you the cards, and in return we give you some cheap crap we keep on hand for situations like this?"
Agreed. I do think the response was unfriendly (at the least). I lay fault on both parties.

TomB

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I would say it's WotC saying one thing, and a third-party doing another, or am I misreading this?

If I hire someone to serve you papers for a civil matter, and they cause the kerfuffle and make your wife cry, is it my action or the people I hired?
Yup. You hire a Process Server, and the Process Server escalates to threatening to get the person charged with a felony for when they were serving papers for a relatively minor issue (by comparison), and the news story goes national (or international) - for an issue could have happened to any of your customers (adding a "Could this happen to me?" factor)?

You fall on your sword publicly, you do a big make good to your community and customers, you pledge that this won't happen again, you change your procedures, and whoever sent the Pinkertons gets fired.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The deputy director where I work has a habit of sending junk emails with return receipts requested.

My mail client asks me if I want them sent.

I always say 'no', because I was administering mail servers before he was born.
I feel this in my soul. Though the VPs and Directors I'm dealing with are generally older than me, at least. I've still generally been using these systems for many years longer.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
Process Server escalates
Process servers don't escalate. They hold out a manila envelope, and once you touch it they tell you you've been served and leave.

(Avoiding a process server won't help you. There are ways a plaintiff can establish that you know there's a case against you and have had opportunity to respond even if you don't accept service.)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Process servers don't escalate. They hold out a manila envelope, and once you touch it they tell you you've been served and leave.

(Avoiding a process server won't help you. There are ways a plaintiff can establish that you know there's a case against you and have had opportunity to respond even if you don't accept service.)
This may also be why WotC used the Pinkertons, if their risk and security people believe that the Pinkertons are indeed disciplined professionals who stay within the boundaries of the law.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
And the Pinkertons didn't need to tell the guy that if he didn't hand over the cards now they go to the Sherrif and report that all the guy's Magic cards were stolen, getting him charged with a felony. Except the Pinkertons did that.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
risk and security people believe that the Pinkertons are indeed disciplined professionals who stay within the boundaries of the law
1682710202574.gif

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
And the Pinkertons didn't need to tell the guy that if he didn't hand over the cards now they go to the Sherrif and report that all the guy's Magic cards were stolen, getting him charged with a felony. Except the Pinkertons did that.
Is that a quote? Do we have a recording or something?

Maybe the Risk and Security people at Hasbro have never played RDR2 and haven't read the NPR story about the Pinkertons investigating that Polish Amazon warehouse about the interviewing process being circumvented. Somehow they've missed these damning stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads