• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I agree with you completely. Based on what I've read about this situation, I am not on the side of WotC.

In this thread and elsewhere, I've seen people say things that suggest that the problem was that WotC hired Pinkerton specifically, which suggests that if they'd hired some other firm that didn't bust unions, those people wouldn't have had an issue with it. That's more along the lines of what I was responding to, in a general sense.
Honestly, im a little surprised folks are not more upset that ex-Pinkertons work for Hasbro. 🤷‍♂️

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
We know WotC tried to call him.
In 2023, calling someone, getting voicemail, and not leaving a message does not constitute trying to call them, because the scammers have turned the phone system into garbage. I have instructed my phone not to even ring for an unknown number, and if one calls and does not leave voicemail I log it with my provider as spam.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
In 2023, calling someone, getting voicemail, and not leaving a message does not constitute trying to call them, because the scammers have turned the phone system into garbage. I have instructed my phone not to even ring for an unknown number, and if one calls and does not leave voicemail I log it with my provider as spam.
Eh. It does constitute trying to call them. You literally did.

But due the aforementioned spammers, trying to call someone is less effective and the intended recipient of the call has greater plausible deniability for being unavailable by phone.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I feel like there is a step or two between calling somebody once, not even leaving a voicemail and then sending in the lads. Like maybe email the email account that's listed to the youtube profile or dm him on twitter. I'm just saying that maybe, they could have tried a little harder.

Reactions: JEB

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
FWIW, I will repost what WoTC stated:

According to Wizards of the Coast, the company “initiated several phone calls to the individual in order to make contact, though we understand why he would be reluctant to answer an unknown number. When we were unable to make contact by phone, local contractors were asked to try to make contact and request help in the investigation, including the return of the product which can aid in our investigation.” The company also confirmed that it offered to replace all of the unreleased product with the correct, released cards.

Again, given that these matters tend to be time-sensitive (right?) and that they wanted the physical product for the investigation, having people go to pick it up does not seem like it's some form of harassment.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also, while this is (again) coming from the internetz and therefore unverifiable, apparently people who viewed the prior videos (the ones with the changing stories) have stated that Hasbro (WoTC) employees did attempt to contact him through the comments on Youtube, but he deleted their comments on youtube.

Again, the statement from WoTC is only with regard to the prior contact via phone; they have not stated (one way or the other) if they attempted to reach out to him prior by other means. That said, I doubt that they will do much in the way of further comment given there's very little upside to doing so. But maybe I'm wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The even minor threat of violence should not be used in a case concerning - at the very worst - the leaking of details about a luxury good. It is too extreme.

If you assume WotC verifiably knows exactly how he came by the cards before knocking on his door, that's the worst.

If you don't assume that, then there's the $4000 value of the possibly stolen goods, and the unknown value of other theft or loss through the supply chain implied by those cards being out in the wild that would be of concern.

The leaking of details, by the way, eats into WotC's ability to market the cards - reveals of the content of the cards is part of how they entice people to buy.

If you assume WotC verifiably knows exactly how he came by the cards before knocking on his door, that's the worst.

If you don't assume that, then there's the $4000 value of the possibly stolen goods, and the unknown value of other theft or loss through the supply chain implied by those cards being out in the wild that would be of concern.

The leaking of details, by the way, eats into WotC's ability to market the cards - reveals of the content of the cards is part of how they entice people to buy.
I think generally the right of people to not have threats of violence against them over the leaking of details about a luxury good and potential supply chain issues vastly out-trumps a company losing some profit. By far. Especially when we're talking about a company as big as WoTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads