• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wotc needs to clean up retail shelves

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Were the 2nd and 3rd edition PHB's the special re-released editions? Those are relatively new. The ones that were used to raise money for the Gary Gygax fund.

Those were exactly the ones at my local B&N. A couple copies of the 2E and 3.5E re-releases, as well as the Dungeons of Dread and Slave Lord module re-releases. Basically, any of the books that had the brown re-release covers appeared on the shelves alongside a couple remaining 4E books and modules and a couple of the new 5E books.

And let's not forget... thus far there's only been *two* 5E books released thus far. So just how filled can a B&N shelf be with 5E product? Maybe come Christmastime when we have added the MM, DMG and Rise of Tiamat to the first two, we'll have a bit more heft that can fill a more prominent place on the B&N shelves.

Falcon10275

Banned
Banned
Nobody really realized how bad the Ray Rice situation was until they actually saw the video. So in the same way, look at this picture of the shelf at barnes and noble. Look really cloesly at both shelves. This is what I would call a pretty big problem for bringing new people into the game. Lets not forget what the dude from wizards said in an interview, "In the last 7 years, most "nerd culture" things have exploded in popularity, but D&D has remained relatively flat "

Mod Note: And nobody noticed how bad the discussion had gotten until they saw the hyperbolic comparison of sale of hobby games with physical assault and spousal abuse. This was irrelevant, inflammatory, and degrading to those who actually suffer. If you have to go to this to make your point, your point isn't strong enough to bother making. If you don't *have* to do this... then don't do it. ~Umbran

t (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seethyr

First Post
I've seen all the old editions under the big sign that says "games," while the PHB hangs out in some weird place called "Best Sellers." I like the fact that this is true, but I agree with the OP that there should be a tad but more organization.

was

Adventurer
Nobody really realized how bad the Ray Rice situation was until they actually saw the video. So in the same way, look at this picture of the shelf at barnes and noble. Look really cloesly at both shelves. This is what I would call a pretty big problem for bringing new people into the game. Lets not forget what the dude from wizards said in an interview, "In the last 7 years, most "nerd culture" things have exploded in popularity, but D&D has remained relatively flat "

View attachment 64235

Yeah, that's the special 2nd ed. re-release edition. It's a relatively new product.

Storminator

First Post
Man, I miss Waldenbooks. I used to love going to the mall and going in there to see the latest D&D books and that one shelf where they had all the box sets stacked up.

I grew up in the 1e days (have you looked at the glacial 1e release schedule?). I remember going to the mall and going in Waldenbooks to see the latest D&D books . . . and being disappointed that they were the same books as last time. :D

PS

Imperialus

Explorer
You know the only titles that a store like B&N are going to care about facing with is the top 20 New York Times bestsellers and anything that they are getting paid to care about.

And besides, I'm pretty sure that anyone who is literate enough to be interested in D&D is going to be able to see the big "2nd edition" on the cover of their PHB and realize that it is probably different than 3rd or 4th or 5th edition.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I have had the same experience as the OP. I recently walked into my B&N at the Americana (a massive open air mall with a 3 floor B&N). The shelves were fully stocked with the 2nd ed re-releases, 4e books, but nowhere the Starter box or even the 5e PHB. If WotC has some say in this then IMO it would be good for them to let major retailers know that their new edition is out.

Fortunately, this is not were I buy my books, for that I go to my FLGS, which is part of the W-network, so they get the new releases earlier.

But if I were a kid or teen wandering the isles of B&N I would not know that 5e is the new thing now, and would therefore not be able to bug my parents to buy it for me.

Remove ads