• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WOTC Possibly Removing "Druids" for Religious/Cultural Sensitivity Reasons

Staffan

Legend
Most historians agree that shamanic practices were introduced by the Horde invading Azeroth from Draenor via the Dark Portal.
That doesn't sound right. By the time the Horde were going through the Dark Portal, the spirits refused to answer their calls, and they had instead turned to using Fel. Those who were once shaman were now warlocks. But Azeroth had plenty of shamans of its own among Tauren and Trolls, as well as Pandaren, Goblins, Centaur, Wildhammer dwarves, and so on.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That doesn't sound right. By the time the Horde were going through the Dark Portal, the spirits refused to answer their calls, and they had instead turned to using Fel. Those who were once shaman were now warlocks. But Azeroth had plenty of shamans of its own among Tauren and Trolls, as well as Pandaren, Goblins, Centaur, Wildhammer dwarves, and so on.
The humans of Kul Tiras and the Vulpera too, if we're going to be exhaustive. :) Probably a few other minor races native to Azeroth.

Remathilis

Legend
WotC is making a better and better case for removing classes, aren't they? I guess between that and the bio-essentialism that comes from species traits, I wager the eventual 6e is going to look more like Mutants & Masterminds.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Shamans were in extreme northern Europe and much of what was modern Russia. Both are European under many definitions.

It was Catherine the Great who really pushed for Russia to be recognised as European when really most of it is Asia, and most Shaman traditions sit east of the Urals. That said there are similar traditions remnant in Hungary and the tietäjä traditions in Finland.
Tietäjä were primarily healers and diviners, using incantations to Ukko, Väki (supernatural power) and the dead for aid in preventing illness, farming, fishing, hunting and building; dealing with witchcraft; identifying thieves; blessing marriages etc

MGibster

Legend
But that's a pretty solid description of what priests do too, interceding with things beyond the normal world (whether ghosts or demons or other beings from beyond the world) and various prayers to cure/create sickness or various curses (not alwaays distinguishable from illnesses). I'd be inclined to argue that shaman and druid are just particular cultures ways of describing their equivalent to priests (and that we don't take a similar approach with cultures we think we're more familiar with).
From what I recall from my anthropology courses, the difference between a priest and a medicine man or shaman, is that priests are found in societies stratified by class.

Remathilis

Legend
Just so I'm clear: the following names have issues:

barbarian (derogative term used to demean nonadvanced societies)
druid (specific cultural/faith)
warlock/witch (derogative to specific faith)
warlord (negative connotation)
monk (specific culture)
shaman (specific culture/faith)
samurai (specific culture)

The jury is still out on assassin, paladin, bard, cavalier and cleric.

Fighter, Sorcerer, Wizard, Ranger, Rogue seem fine.

Zardnaar

Legend
They are, but I am guessing that some make a delineation between adopting the term for your communal and sincerely held religious belief system and in a corporately owned mass marketed table top game.

The other issue that might be more concerning for WOTC in the long term are the parts of modern Celtic Heathenry who identify as "Druids" who also overlap with far right and white supremacist movements. While a fairly small minority in that sphere, they could also become a public lightning rod if they spawn their own Varg Vikernes.

I have a sincerely held belief the D&D Duid is the one true Druid

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Just so I'm clear: the following names have issues:

barbarian (derogative term used to demean nonadvanced societies)
druid (specific cultural/faith)
warlock/witch (derogative to specific faith)
warlord (negative connotation)
monk (specific culture)
shaman (specific culture/faith)
samurai (specific culture)

The jury is still out on assassin, paladin, bard, cavalier and cleric.

Fighter, Sorcerer, Wizard, Ranger, Rogue seem fine.
at worst, you can change Bards to Minstrels...oh...

Remove ads