• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Actually, Courts can seal parts of the cases from the official record. You can keep specific business affairs out from the public eye. The defendants and their lawyers can see them, but in many cases courts will respect a companies right to privacy, and specific documents can either carry a seal and/or be destroyed after the trial so they never enter public record.

I think what WoTC makes as a private company might count as that. If it was a case for public interest, they could be a fight to keep those unsealed, but I doubt in this particular case it would be unsealed.

Of course, IANAL...

Who knows. I do know it is very hard to do that in CT state courts. But as I said, I have no idea how the federal system is with sealing. It might be a lot easier. Out here, there was a judge who had his divorce case sealed and he got in a lot of trouble because of it. There is a big "courts and court records should always be open to the public unless in extreme circumstances" thing going on in CT.

merelycompetent

First Post
Actually, I see them NOW!!

I'll have them in a few minutes. It's cheaper to get them from PACER.

I don't feel like Transcribing the PDFs, though. Would there be a place to attach PDF files here?

Ah, PACER. Enworld, meet groklaw.net. Groklaw, meet Enworld.org. :)

I'm exhausted due to RL matters, and my own bottle of Rouse is calling very loudly.

I sincerely hope that all of you WotC (current & former) employees following this thread have a peaceful and boring time of it. No one needs this kind of excitement in their day job or hobby.

G'night.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Interesting read of the court documents. I had no idea that OBS also placed a micro-watermark in their PDFs that embedded the purchaser's name and account number in a single pixel. :hmm:

Mephistopheles

First Post
I think Paizo's relative success (i.e. lack of high-volume torrents) has a lot to do with how well they instill a sense of customer loyalty. Their subscription plans give people a feeling of getting an awesome deal, what with the free PDF and across-the-board discount.

Overall, I think they're a very good example of how to make money in the face of piracy.

This reminds me of Stardock. Brad Wardell has often discussed the topic of responding to piracy in a manner that he deems the most productive for his business and I think he has a very realistic approach to it. That approach, in essence, is to spend money on adding value to a product rather than spending that money on adding inconvenient copy protection that will almost certainly be overcome by pirates anyway.

Jason Anderson

First Post
Interesting read of the court documents. I had no idea that OBS also placed a micro-watermark in their PDFs that embedded the purchaser's name and account number in a single pixel. :hmm:
Neither did I (or, I'd bet, most people). And I'm sure OBS would have preferred ensuring that people didn't know about that fact! :)

Odhanan

Adventurer
Interesting comments from Ryan Dancey:

This is a classic example of Death Spiral. As things go bad, the regressive forces inside the organization (lawyers, commissioned sales people, creative folk who feel stifled by history, precariously tenured executives) are increasingly able to exert their agenda. It always makes a bad situation worse, but there's no magic bullet that would likely make the bad situation better so you get a rapid unbalance in the Corporate Force towards the Dark Side.

> OGL? Risky (someone might make us look bad, steal our ideas before we print them, or create a competitive brand that siphons off sales), and lack of faith in network marketing devalues ROI assumptions. Kill it.

> PDF? Causes endless problems with hardcopy partners creating pressure on sales team they could really do without, and revenues are so small as to be non-strategic. Cut it.

> Online? Every time you talk about it someone produces a $10 million minimum cost estimate to "do it right". After spending 3-5x this amount in a series of failed initiatives (lead by utterly unqualified people), executives assume Online is plutonium. No qualified lead or team will touch it.

> Evergreen? Sales of each unit are going down and few products have any staying power. The only (seemingly viable) solution is to put more books in production - make up for the revenue hole caused by lack of evergreen sales by getting more money out of each customer. The Treadmill.

The next things that will take hits are the RPGA (costs a lot to operate - slash it's budget), then quality (put fewer words and less art on fewer pages and raise the price), then consistency (rules varients generated by inexperienced designers and/or overworked developers start to spawn and cohesion in rulings breaks down leading to ad hoc interpretations as the de facto way to play).

Meanwhile sales just keep going down, the gap in the budget keeps getting bigger, and no matter how many heads roll, there isn't any light at the end of the tunnel.

Wizards is about to be forced into the D&D end-game which is something that many publishers have gone through but none ever with a game the scale and impact of D&D (TSR walked right up to this cliff but WotC saved them from going over the edge). There are 3 outcomes:

1: A total collapse, and the game ceases meaningful publication and distribution at least for one gamer generation and maybe forever.

2: Downsizing until overhead matches income; could involve some kind of out-license or spin off of the business - think BattleTech in its current incarnation.

3: Traumatic rebirth, meaning that someone, somewhere finds some way to cut out the cancers that are eating the tabletop game and restarts the mass market business for D&D.

Note that 2 and 3 can be mileposts on the road to 1.

RyanD

From RPGPundit's blog.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I fully suspected watermarked PDFs weren't just visible ones but invisible ones as well.

Perhaps that's why Wizards might be pulling the PDFs. They probably know once this gets out a lot of pirates might be aware of the watermark and work on expunging it. So they might want to now move to a new system of protection.

Just a thought.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads