• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Interesting comments from Ryan Dancey:

See his later comment:

RyanD said:
I think the root cause is the end of classic D&D style tabletop roleplaying as a viable business in its current format. There are two paths forward - abandon it and leave RPG play to the internet and non-commercial interests, or hybridize it and find a way to bring technology to the tabletop and make it new for the future. The longer WotC trys to stay with a dead format the more stress they will put the business through. I don't think 4E, per se, had any effect on this at all, positive or negative.

Obviously, this applies to the entire RPG industry whether you're White Wolf, Paizo or Mongoose: by Ryan's reading, it's a dead format unless you go to a computer-enabled model.

Cheers!

xechnao

First Post
I fully suspected watermarked PDFs weren't just visible ones but invisible ones as well.

Perhaps that's why Wizards might be pulling the PDFs. They probably know once this gets out a lot of pirates might be aware of the watermark and work on expunging it. So they might want to now move to a new system of protection.

Just a thought.

Well that would be rude to the rest of the industry. But I would find more probable they would be thinking on cutting on retailer costs or eliminating pdf distribution at this point for different reasons (mentioned earlier).

xechnao

First Post
See his later comment:

Obviously, this applies to the entire RPG industry whether you're White Wolf, Paizo or Mongoose: by Ryan's reading, it's a dead format unless you go to a computer-enabled model.

Cheers!

Nah, I would not take it this way. What he says it applies to the mediums or highs of D&D scale as we know from its history. Or anything Hasbro could be bothered with regarding also the value of the tabletop D&D brand name.

Lanfranc

First Post
I think he's right about that. When I look at the gaming table of one of my game group, we all use things like virtual tabletops, electronic character sheets, PDF files, and so on. As GM, all my notes and such are in Excel files and databases. Sometimes we play by VoIP if we can't meet up in RL. My other group is a bit more old-school, but moving in the same direction. I'm sure that RPGs will be increasingly computerized, and Wizard's move here is a step in the completely wrong direction - not least because it suggests that they might not be entirely in touch with what's happening out here in the gaming groups.

Odhanan

Adventurer

Cheers!

I see how you can get to that conclusion Merric.

I don't think it's the case, however.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
For those who don't believe people will follow through with the whole "Last Straw" thing ... even though there have been posts from a few others that have also said they cancelled their DDI accounts ... (I'm looking at you -O):p ...

This email is a communication with Wizards of the Coast support. You may reply to this message, or follow the link below and provide your Wizards account login credentials.

The support incident that has been created will remain open in our system for the next 14 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, Click here.

SubjectRequest to cancel Auto-Renew Discussion Thread Response (Support Agent)04/08/2009 10:45 AMMark,

The auto-renew feature for your Dungeons and Dragons Insider subscription has been turned off as requested. Your current membership will remain active and you will be able to access the online content until your expiration date on Apr 16, 2009.

If you wish to renew, you must wait until after the date listed above. At that time you can renew your membership by purchasing another subscription at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider/subscription . If you purchase a new subscription prior to the expiration of your existing one, your subscription period will begin immediately, and all time remaining on your prior membership will be lost.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionaire. edit:(Which you all can be assured I certainly did!)

To login to your account, or update your question please Click here.

Xxxxxxx
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST
Customer (Mark Armstrong)04/07/2009 07:12 PMRequest to cancel Auto-Renew of the D&D Insider subscription for ID: ME

Besides the cancellation of my DDI account, I will also no longer visit the WotC site, period. I will patiently await the day when the D&D brand no longer belongs to WotC, though I do realize it may never happen. But, until then, or possibly forever, I will continue to play and enjoy MY D&D.

OGL FOREVER!:cool:

signed, former WotC customer - Mark "El Mahdi" Armstrong

P.S.: I wonder if an OGL adaptation or version of 4E would be possible?:angel:

:cool:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer

"Dead format" doesn't necessarily mean the product. You can also change the format of your business model.

Monte Cook, for example, will be able to publish tabletop RPGs for as long as he wants, collaborating with like-minded creatives, and they'll all do just fine.

"Dead format" seems to assume that table-top RPGs are a failure unless you can justify forming a corporation, renting out offices, hiring administrators, staffing up a Human Resources department, etc.

I think the days of looking at table-top RPGs as a commodity as opposed to an art form are probably over, yes.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Well that certainly wasn't a reaction WotC probably thought was coming. That kind of analysys by someone as big name as Ryan Dancey can't be good PR.

Gary Gygax hated the OGL and didn't think much of 3e either. Didn't stop it being really successful.

Cheers!

NMcCoy

Explorer
Perhaps that's why Wizards might be pulling the PDFs. They probably know once this gets out a lot of pirates might be aware of the watermark and work on expunging it.

Now that's the most logical interpretation of this I've seen yet. (Which is not to say it was a good move, but it's a clear potential motive.) This court case will potentially involve revealing details of the watermarking system, and thus quite possibly make them easier to circumvent. WotC hypothetically views this as "our PDFs will no longer be safe now that this case has been filed, so we shouldn't leave them out there". Definitely food for thought.

Remove ads