WotC Replies: Statements by WotC employees regarding Dragon/Dungeon going online

Michael Dean said:
It really feels like an old friend just died.

I've read similar statements to this over and over. I enjoyed both Dragon and Dungeon, but man...its just a magazine!

Out of all the gamers I've played with, I've been the ONLY one to buy them...and I've gone through a great many groups in multiple states and countries thanks to lots of moving. The buyers ARE the minority, like it or not, and its almost terrifying to me to see people acting like the end of a magazine is anything comparable to a person's death.

Do we have to get THAT overly dramatic about a collection of paper?

catsclaw227

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
I'm trying hard not to get caught up in the spin and enthusiasm of this WotC message. Considering the barrage they have received around the traps, I could not conceive of a better response.
QFT.

I am leaning toward the idea that they will continue to draw from the "slushpile" and some really great adventures, articles and new series will get published. Now it will just be done electronically.

Let's all see what happens before we pass judgement.

Paizo has my business; I'm gonna get Pathfinder, and I'm stoked about it. Now, let's see what WOTC can do.

Simplicity

Explorer
To me this just kind of confirms that the license to publish the magazines was killed by Wizards, not surrendered due to lack of business by Paizo. Paizo worked very hard to bring
Dragon and Dungeon back to life, and I think they were doing a great job (although the latest AP lost my interest).

Even though Paizo had a reasonable out here (I look forward to Pathfinder), it seems darn sleazy for Wizards to license the brand out to a third party, then discontinue the license so that they can take over the sucker-punched readers. Yes, it's Wizard's brand but there should be more of an obligation here than a "transition period".

Why license from WotC? If you fail you lose money. If you succeed, you lose the license, and Wizards sets up a competing product to take your place.

On the positive (hah!) side, I think Wizards is in for a rude awakening. Online may be the way of the future, but it hardly encourages a quality product, and I think quality is one of the reasons that Dragon/Dungeon were doing so well.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Well, the digital download generation and the green environmental groups are getting their wishes.

If wanting print magazine is wrong in this day and age, I don't want to be right.

Save your sympathy, WotC.

QFT...

I'm off to light a candle...

catsclaw227

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I've read similar statements to this over and over. I enjoyed both Dragon and Dungeon, but man...its just a magazine!

Out of all the gamers I've played with, I've been the ONLY one to buy them...and I've gone through a great many groups in multiple states and countries thanks to lots of moving. The buyers ARE the minority, like it or not, and its almost terrifying to me to see people acting like the end of a magazine is anything comparable to a person's death.

Do we have to get THAT overly dramatic about a collection of paper?
I commented about this in another thread. The melodramatic hyperbole is nauseating to me. It sucks that the mags are dying (in their present incarnation). It REALLY sucks. I have been reading them since the 80's. But geez... it's a magazine.

Mycanid

First Post
Ah well ... some people are attached to such things and associate it somehow with a loss of "the good 'ole days" and with things that are dear to them. There is nothing wrong with being sad with that IMO.

Simplicity

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
I commented about this in another thread. The melodramatic hyperbole is nauseating to me. It sucks that the mags are dying (in their present incarnation). It REALLY sucks. I have been reading them since the 80's. But geez... it's a magazine.

Well, you know. If I had to pick between Dragon/Dungeon and my best friend. I'd keep my best friend. But if I had to pick between them and say... Bob down the hall. Well, Bob down the hall. I wouldn't even notice if he were gone.

catsclaw227

First Post
Mycanid said:
Ah well ... some people are attached to such things and associate it somehow with a loss of "the good 'ole days" and with things that are dear to them. There is nothing wrong with being sad with that IMO.
I totally agree, but some of the analogies are overkill. People saying that it feels like rape, or that a baby has drowned need to be called out.

Numion

First Post
Ok, they say they've got the goods. Fine.

Would've avoided a lot of flack if they had told what this newfangled greatness is going to be at the same time when they announced axing Dungeon. If what's coming is really that great, of course.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Those are some nice testimonials, but the offical response contains little substance about the future. I'm still pretty PO'd about the cancellation and I'm reserving judgement about the actual electronic content, but I want to know more and my anger is far from assuaged and I reserve the right to remain skeptical until WoTC actually provides real information.

Remove ads