WotC Replies: Statements by WotC employees regarding Dragon/Dungeon going online

Qwillion

First Post
“It’s exciting because I know something that you don’t know as yet.”- Bill Slavicsek,
I can’t imagine a more insulting taunt, you dropped the ball by not being ready to provide your customer base with an explanation.

“What keeps the old girl alive, though, is her never-ending goal of reaching the greatest number of people with the best possible content. Using a new delivery system doesn't have anything to do with compromising that goal.”- Kim Mohan
This is insulting to Piazo Publishing, Dungeon and Dragon magazine were well in the black and the adventure path had made it more popular than at anytime in it’s history. You eliminated a delivery system., and compromised your customer loyalty.

“Nothing this good ever dies.”-Christopher Perkins
If Wotc returns it to their own publishing house and publishes a print magazine fine, if it is just part of their digital initiative it is dead to me as is WotC.

“This is a big deal and it is our full intention to continue to deliver the great content that the fans have come to expect from these magazines in a new medium.”- Scott Rouse
These 17 fans do not want your new medium at the expense of our magazines, you have lost 16 fans, and they will express his displeasure with their wallets.

“The magazines mean a lot to me, for both personal and professional reasons, and they will always be a treasured part of my D&D game. I can’t wait to see their next incarnation.”-Jesse Decker
That is the difference a print copy will always be a treasured part of my D&D game, your online content is ephemeral and worthless at the gaming table that does not have online access for everyone!

“And I still eagerly await each issue that shows up on my desk.”-james wyatt
I doubt I will ever eagerly await an update to a website.

“Having worked on the magazines at Paizo, I’m familiar with the passion, dedication, and sacrifice it took to put together every issue every month, and I’m proud of the great work of my friends there.”-Matthew Serrnet

Amen! Thank you, sir. You’re a gentleman and a scholar.

“Part of me still can’t believe the magazines, in their current format, won’t be around anymore after the summer. But when I look to the future and see what we have planned, I can’t wait. Believe me, sometimes change really is for the best. I’m more excited than ever about the future of these gaming institutions. They’re not really going anywhere; they’re just coming home.”- Chris Thomasson,

Your right I can’t believe it, I probably should have seen it coming with the launch of the digital inititive, but the magazines were doing a better job than you, I thought it’s not broken they wont’ try to fix it. Sometimes change is bad, New Coke springs to mind. They are going some where their leaving my bookshelf.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I posted this over on the WoTC thread (where the reaction to the new WoTC release is, unsurprisingly, still negative), but you can tell that WoTC didn't expect a negative reaction of this magnitude. Nobody normally waits until Friday afternoon/early evening to release information that they want people to pay attention to; its why the government releases bad news on Friday, less people pay attention. I also get the impression that the R&D people all got corralled into doing this by the Marketing folks. I hope the Marketing and PR department is buying tonight at happy hour!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
They are missing a big point...

You cant collect web pages.

People have magazine collections that they love and put in plastic bags and fondle them with loving care... others have magazine collections they look at often and the covers are torn off with loving enthusiasm.

people browse websites and do searches... burning time or I need information now sort of thing...

Internet is great for the transfer of information - free information

I cant trade my pdfs
I cant trade my e-zines
I cant put my e-zine collection into my will

it's a website not a magazine

I think most gamers want their cake and eat it... because that is what cake is for.

they would love a e-zine by wizards... in addition to the Magazines.

I dont care if they are publishing it or paizo is publishing it... but people like their magazines.

Simplicity

Explorer
I find the Perkins quote especially ironic...

“Nothing this good ever dies.”-Christopher Perkins

... But we sure can try, huh! The product line was so good that we had to kill it!
And then cast Reincarnation. And hope we don't get a badger or duck.

(Edit -- oops... Reincarnation not Raise Dead. My bad.)

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Simplicity said:
I find the Perkins quote especially ironic...

... But we sure can try, huh! The product line was so good that we had to kill it!
And then cast Raise Dead. And hope we don't get a badger or duck.

That's Reincarnation! :D

EricNoah

Adventurer
I should add that this is what probably should have been available yesterday. We needed this to be a big deal, not a "this was a no-brainer" type quote. Those names (with the exception of the brand manager's) carry weight with me, as they have a long history with the game and particularly with the magazines. I don't necessarily have great faith that it will be pulled off but I appreciate the sentiments.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
So, basically, I take from this that they're continuing Dragon and Dungeon in some sort of electronic form.

Oooo-kay.

Shroomy

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I should add that this is what probably should have been available yesterday. We needed this to be a big deal, not a "this was a no-brainer" type quote. Those names (with the exception of the brand manager's) carry weight with me, as they have a long history with the game and particularly with the magazines. I don't necessarily have great faith that it will be pulled off but I appreciate the sentiments.

Agreed. Actually, this is probably the bare minimum of what should have been done.

Vigilance

Explorer
DaveMage said:
So, basically, I take from this that they're continuing Dragon and Dungeon in some sort of electronic form.

Oooo-kay.

Wait, that's it? They're taking the magazines and making them online?

I thought surely, judging from the reaction, that they had drug EGG from his house, burned it down and publically pantsed him.

Then went and kicked the dog and/or child of every D&D player in the worldwide database.

Chuck

(contact)

Explorer
Taking Dragon and Dungeon online might turn out to be a great idea once all the smoke clears, but WotC really blew the announcement.

"Hey, we're canceling 2 magazines and are going to publish more content online (presumably next to the existing underwhelming content). Aaaaand, that's all we're telling you."

WTF?

Paizo, however, showed up to the party *prepared*, were immediately and directly responsive to the fans, and had a tasty alternative to offer. They got more business from me today.

WotC will have to show and prove before I buy in; this deal smells a bit like yesterday's fish, and they look lost.

Remove ads