• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC, Scott, Where in the World is the GSL

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As others have mentioned, the job listing doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it seems unlikely that it's unrelated to the current situation with the (lack of anything regarding the) GSL.

What I find to be more significant is that - regardless of how things end up - this seems to indicate that it's going to be a while before we hear anything. The job opening was posted less than two weeks ago. WotC will need to wait long enough for applicants to apply, figure out which ones they want to interview, interview all of those chosen, make a decision about who they want to hire, have the one they pick move to Washington and start work, and then work on the GSL, all before they'll (hopefully) be done with it.

If that's the case, then there's no way we're going to be getting any substantive updates before Gen Con. :\

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
JamesM said:
I think far more significant is that the job posting does not list open source licensing as an area of expertise for an applicant but it does list contract negotiation with "key clients." That's hardly a smoking gun, since WotC may already have plenty of people on staff knowledgeable about open source issues, but it's still another piece in the puzzle.

I wouldn't read to much into that. Open source licensing isn't exactly a huge field that there'd be TONS of lawyers with experience in that field. But they did say "end user license agreements". I'm just making a guess as to legal classificiations, but it strikes me that the OGL is similar to a EULA.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
BadMojo said:
That doesn't look good. The cynic in me is thinking that they're waiting to be fully staffed in their legal department and ready to be sued when they make a GSL/OGL announcement.

Job posting for legal department in major corporation <> Shortage of lawyers

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Some minor information from over on the WotC Rejecting 3.5 Writers? thread.

takasi said:
I was chatting with Nick Logue last night and he said he received a sad email from WotC saying they could no longer use his work. He said it was related to the GSL and his employment at Paizo.

Has anyone else received anything like this?

I'm wondering if WotC is requiring anyone who publishes with them to sign an agreement that they won't develop for 3.5 OGL, including any freelance work. It would seem to be a good move at helping to kill the OGL; it seems like their biggest competition has always been former employees. If everyone who publishes material through DDI cannot publish material for OGL, how would that impact the hobby?

Jack99 said:
No matter how one feels about WoTC taking steps like this one, wouldn't it indicate that there actually will be a GSL (since they mention it themselves?)

I wonder if Jack is right, and that's an indicator (no matter how small) that the GSL hasn't been dumped completely? It's hard to know, since this information is second-, mabe even third-hand, at this point.

mxyzplk

Explorer
Scholar & Brutalman said:
delay has cost them Paizo. Erik Mona was talking about doing a possible 3.75 soon after the original 4e announcement and I don't recall much positive comment from anyone at Paizo about the new edition. They never seemed enthusiastic about it, and obviously they've been working on Pathfinder RPG for some time.

They had a closer business relationship with WotC than anyone; I suspect they could just smell the BS on the wind earlier than anyone else.

Orcus

First Post
DaveMage said:
Now that's job that's made for Clark Peterson. :D

LOL. Ack! Then I would actually be responsible!!!! Its so much easier to sit on the sidelines and complain!

No, I'm kidding. I do really enjoy the OGL and its legal implications. It is an intersting experiment to me. I really enjoy it.

In fact, as I mentioned before, I have drafted several different versions of the licenses, from a PI agreement to PI 4E and use it under the OGL, to a new GSL-style license with the STL/Guide restrictions in it to a few versions of a new gentleperson's agreement each with different levels of complexity.

Yes, I am a goob.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with being a goob CP! If Gary Gygax wasn't a goob who didn't like to fiddle with miniature rules none of us would be here!

Remove ads